Bagshot Park

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I right in thinking the Queen bought Anne and Edward houses (in their own right) when they married, whereas Edward has only been given the lease of a house?

I assume you mean Andrew. Anne was bought Gatcombe Park, but Sunninghill Park was bought by the Crown Estates on behalf of The Queen. Bagshot Park has always been a private royal residence.

I assume you mean Andrew. Anne was bought Gatcombe Park, but Sunninghill Park was bought by the Crown Estates on behalf of The Queen. Bagshot Park has always been a private royal residence.

Bagshot Park is not a private royal residence. It belongs to the Crown Estate, just like Royal Lodge. It was leased for the Earl and Countess of Wessex. They pay the rent, of course people complain its peanuts
And they have sublet most of the building to a drug company..IIRC

Bagshot Park is not a private royal residence. It belongs to the Crown Estate, just like Royal Lodge. It was leased for the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

Seeing as it's pretty much been a royal residence since the 1600s and only been used as regimental headquarters in between being occupied by royals. I'll be going with it's a royal residence thanks. :flowers:

Its not privately owned it is owned by the Crown Estate but it is a private residence in that it is used mainly as a private residence/home rather than for official business.

The sublet is in a separate part of the buildings with separate entrance etc.

The couple do use their home for offical business - receptions etc.

Oh, for the chance to use a good metal detector on those grounds.

What a farce. You don't think they will move into smaller digs and pay rent? It will be paid. Guess by whom? Guess with whose money? Right personal funds, that they all got from working.

It seems the Wessex took on a house they couldn't afford to keep up. I wonder how Anne and Andrew manage?

Anne has a working estate on which she farms, raises, breeds and trains horses.

Andrew has the money from the sale of Sunninghill which reportedly was 15 million pounds - astutely invested that should provide a sizeable income for both himself and his daughters.

They all also have trust funds from The Queen Mother at least if not from The Queen herself to use to support their private lives as a member of the royal family.

The Queen pays their official expenses from the Duchy of Lancaster.

On reflection maybe Bagshot wasn't such a good choice, the house is in relatively small grounds so can't be farmed out and used in the same way as Anne can use Gatcombe. In other words Bagshot is a large house with not all that many ways of making money

It's a very large house for such a small family. Edward & Sophie do use the house for official functions every now and then.

Wonder if the article is correct in reporting Edward has a 150 year lease and pays 90,000 per year rent. The Michaels pay 120,000 for their apartment at Kensington. Andrew's lease is reportedly for 99 years.

I need to do some research on this because the Queen bought Gatcombe for Princess Royal and bought the house for Andrew and so it raises the question what did she do for Edward?

I've seen a report from 2005 in the Independent newspaper (good reputation for factual reporting) which says Edward pays £90000 in rent but gets back £80000 in rent from the existing tenant of the rented out wing.

Apparently Edward started leasing this house when he set up Ardent Productions so not a wedding present

I've seen a report from 2005 in the Independent newspaper (good reputation for factual reporting) which says Edward pays £90000 in rent but gets back £80000 in rent from the existing tenant of the rented out wing.

Apparently Edward started leasing this house when he set up Ardent Productions so not a wedding present

Is there any idea who is leasing these days?

Edward is still leasing the house. He started leasing it when he set up Ardent and after the demise of Ardent continued to lease the house. Who is in the stables now I don't know but it was a pharmaceutical firm in 2005.

On reflection maybe Bagshot wasn't such a good choice, the house is in relatively small grounds so can't be farmed out and used in the same way as Anne can use Gatcombe. In other words Bagshot is a large house with not all that many ways of making money

I agree with you on this. They would have been better with a house in larger grounds so they would have another revenue stream.

Did anyone else see the staging of the blue room photo, with that tall thin vase (of gladiolas?) on the floor in front of the window and think, "No RC Range Rover cars in this room?" :lol:

Did anyone else see the staging of the blue room photo, with that tall thin vase (of gladiolas?) on the floor in front of the window and think, "No RC Range Rover cars in this room?" :lol:

Yes...I noticed that as well. I figured the flowers were on the end table and didn't fit well in the shot, so they moved it.

It might be the most beautiful Royal home, fit for the heir it's crazy Prince Edward lives there.

Yes it is an impressive house and most of the royals occupants were not monarchs or heirs apparent.

It might be the most beautiful Royal home, fit for the heir it's crazy Prince Edward lives there.

Its stately but certainly not meant for the heir. Its had four royal owners, three of whom have been the third child of the monarch.

-William IV: used it when he was Duke of Clarence (third son of George III)
-William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester. The only royal who wasn't a third son of the monarch. But his father was the 3rd son of Frederick, Prince of Wales. And he was the third child (though only son) of his parents.

The original house was demolished after Mary moved. It was rebuilt to its current form in 1879.

-Prince Arthur: third son of Queen Victoria and his family made it their country home (Clarence house was their city home).
-Edward, Earl of Wessex: third son of Queen Elizabeth

The only time it was used by the monarch was at the very start when it was a tiny hunting lodge designed by Inigo Jones for Charles I. It was remodeled quickly there after for George Keppel, 3rd Earl of Albemarle who had been appointed keeper of it in 1776.

Back
Top Bottom