Future Titles and Dukedoms for the Wales Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Charles wanted Edinburgh for Charlotte, he would not have given it to Edward.

He had a public promise to give it to Edward and Charlotte is currently a child with no cause to receive it. He only gave it to Edward for life. Perhaps the title will still not be available when the time comes for Charlotte to get something, but Charles certainly made it available for someone in the future, as opposed to giving it to his nephew. And perhaps there is another agreement Charlotte will get it after Edward that we don't know about, yet.

If William is king when a dukedom would be given to Louis, the dukedom of Cambridge still seems the most likely. It's one with a personal connection for William and Catherine, so a great one to give to one of their children.

If Charles wanted Edinburgh for Charlotte, he would not have given it to Edward.

As you just pointed there is usually a gap between the death of a holder, and the title being given. Edinburgh being an exception for Edward's case as it was the desire of his parents. Edward is only 59. If he lives even into his 90s like both parents, thats another 30+ years that he will hold the title.

If they finally update the old fashioned 'only sons get peerages' it would likely be same 'get it when married'. I doubt Charlotte who is 8 already, will wait till nearly 40 to get married, for that title to be open.Even if they chose to grant it right after the holder died.

If they decide to give peerages to female family members, I hope Anne will get the first one. She's earned it!

I think the reason Edward's Duke of Edinburgh is a life peerage is so the title can replace the Duke of York title for the 2nd son. Andrew has done so much damage to the title, that no one will want to be associated with him or being a York.

It would be a honor for the title go to the 2nd child regardless of gender. Charlotte, Duchess of Edinburgh sounds lovely. : )

Why couldn't Louis get one of William's lesser titles, like the Earl of Strathearn ?

Various Dukes of York have disgraced themselves over the centuries. However that hasn’t prevented succeeding monarchs from giving this ancient title to their own sons. I agree though that in the 21st Century it’s more likely to go to George’s second son if he has one, there’s still a British monarchy and he is not in private life.

And loading Charlotte up with a Duchess title as well as that of Princess Royal which she will almost certainly be given at some time in William’s reign, is surely overkill. Especially as younger children of the monarch may well choose to have private lives and careers when they become adults.

I do honestly see the BRF adopting the European model of just the heir (and wife/husband) working for the monarchy in the future and younger siblings will be free to live as they wish.

Back
Top Bottom