The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
You do not have to be a royal to be appointed a Colonel of one of the Household regiments. Field Marshal Earl Alexander of Tunis, former GG of Canada, was Colonel of the Irish Guards from 1946 until his death
Also you do not need to be a royal to be a KG or KT, infact most of them are not. In the Garter royals are considered Extra knights not regular Kinghts Companion.
I believe Princess Mary's husband the Earl of Harewood used to ride behind the his father in law on parade. Earl Mountbatten of Burma (distantly royal I guess) definitely rode in parades.
Also lets not forget Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg was Colonel of the Irish Guards and rode behind The Queen uniformed during the Trooping of the Colour from 1984 until his abdication.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Lieutenant General James Jeffrey Corfield Bucknall
is the Colonel of the Coldstream Guards so even today HM has reached out beyond members of her family to appoint a Colonel of one of the Household regiments when she could easily have appointed Andrew or Edward to the role.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Courtier

Hey I was watching this video for some nth time..

Who is the guy in red tunic chatting to the QM at 2;14 in 1998?
Looks much like Duke oGloucester of 50s, but I know he is long gone..
Please please answer me..Its bothering me like hell, since I have almost mastered every other minute detail of that video, except that..
Old 03-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

That's Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. To the right of him is the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte.
Here are two pictures of the Grand Duke from 1998 Trooping the Colour: picture 1, picture 2.

The Grand Duke served as Colonel of the Regiment of the Irish Guards and often rode, in full uniform (including his Garter Star), behind Queen Elizabeth during the Trooping the Colour Parade, and joined the Royal Family on the balcony.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Majesty

The Queen's Birthday Parade Rehearsals Begin:
Queen’s Birthday Parade Rehearsals Begin

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Majesty

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 2h
Tomorrow is the Major General's review of Trooping the Colour, the first of two full-scale rehearsals before the troop on the 15th June.

The Major General's review of Trooping the Colour gets underway shortly in London. It's the first of two full scale rehearsals for the troop

The Major General commanding the Household Division (George Norton CBE) will be reviewing today's parade rehearsal at Horseguards' Parade.

The other rehearsal is the Colonel's Review, at which HRH The Prince of Wales, as Colonel Welsh Guards, will be present.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Majesty

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 54m
Tomorrow is the Colonel's Review of Trooping the Colour. HRH The Prince of Wales will be attending this final rehearsal tomorrow morning.

HRH The Prince of Wales Attends The Final Rehearsal For The Trooping of the Colour:
http://www.royalcentral.co.uk/charle...he-colour-8924

Pictures:
Guards March During The Colonel's Review:
The Prince of Wales takes part during the Colonel's Review on June 8, 2013-
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/NkkS5...ew/75LEIOaFA50

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince Charles leads the Welsh Guards in final rehearsal for the Queen's Birthday Parade | Mail Online
Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Majesty

It's going to be great to see Charles ride horseback in the parade once he's King. He looks very Kingly in this review. Very nice pictures.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting article in the Sunday Times regarding next weeks Trooping the Colour.

Summary

THE Duke of Kent is expected to replace the Duke of Edinburgh at the Queen’s side during the trooping the colour parade on Saturday.

The Queen’s cousin will stand in for Prince Philip, who will remain in hospital for two weeks as he recovers from exploratory surgery on his abdomen.

Plans are in place for the Duke of Kent, a colonel with the Scots Guards and personal aide-de-camp to the Queen, to travel in the carriage with the monarch during her birthday parade and to stand in for Philip as chairman of the Senior Colonel’s Conference on Friday.

The article goes on about the need for the Prince to "slow down" and that the Queen is spending the w/end at Windsor. Gun salute on Monday for DoE's birthday.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love that The Duke of Kent is going to be with his cousin, what a lovely gesture.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Majesty

That is very nice of The Duke of Kent. I thought she was going to ride in the parade alone.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Majesty

RoyalAirForceUK Royal Air Force 11 Jun
A flypast of RAF aircraft will be the finale to Sat, 15th June 2013 celebrations for the Queen’s Official Birthday. pic.twitter.com/PdhkWRwfJK

RoyalAirForceUK Royal Air Force 15h
See the formation for Saturday’s RAF flypast in honour of Her Majesty the Queen’s Official Birthday. pic.twitter.com/ezsPdch6on

Royal Air Force ‏@RoyalAirForceUK 14hThe RAF flypast (at 1pm) and Trooping the Colour parade can be seen live on BBC1 starting from 10:30am. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02xgbr8 …

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-14-2013, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Re Duke of Kent - this from Sky

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal Duke of Kent suffered a stroke 3 months ago. Despite full recovery, he will not be mounted as precaution - medical advice

Duke of KEnt is Colonel of the Scots Guards.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Majesty

It's better that he will ride in the carriage with The Queen. I guess from now on, he will ride in one of the carriages from the Parade.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It's better that he will ride in the carriage with The Queen. I guess from now on, he will ride in one of the carriages from the Parade.
Not necessarily, if he gets the all. Clear from the doctors.

There is no carriage procession to the TTC, the queen alone rides in her small carriage and is accompanied by the colonels of the regiments. Is possible that next year, if the situation with DoK is the same, then all 3 can ride in a larger carriage.

There is a carriage procession, I think, afterwards going back to BP. I that right??

Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Majesty

Trooping of the Colour: Live TV Coverage- BBC One 10:30am UK Time
BBC One - Trooping the Colour

Outside UK Viewers:
tvpc.com - BBC 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Not necessarily, if he gets the all. Clear from the doctors.

There is no carriage procession to the TTC, the queen alone rides in her small carriage and is accompanied by the colonels of the regiments. Is possible that next year, if the situation with DoK is the same, then all 3 can ride in a larger carriage.

There is a carriage procession, I think, afterwards going back to BP. I that right??
I was just guessing that the Duke of Kent would ride in one of the carriages from now on. It's said that The Duke of Kent will ride with The Queen tomorrow-

Dickie Arbiter ‏@RoyalDickie 5h
Given The Duke of Kent suffered a stroke a while back it's a good move to have him accompany The Queen to Trooping tomorrow

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 6h
#royal Duke of Kent will accompany #Queen at Trooping the Colour tomorrow in his capacity as Col-in-chief of the Scots Guards #Philip

Correction: The Duke of Kent is Colonel of The Scots Guards.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Majesty

Full Video Ceremony of The Trooping of the Colour 1986:
See Her Majesty The Queen ride sidesaddle on her favorite horse
'Burmese' for the last time. The horse was retired later that year-

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Coverage starts tomorrow at 10:30 am on BBC 1. Just FYI.

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour