Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Better closeup up of Flora Oglivy
Picture details
She looks so grown up. Who's that girl with her hands over her ears? Is it one of the Taylor Sisters?

Moving on to the general discussion, I must say that these are some nice pictures. Lady Louise is a little beauty

Sorry this is wierdly written, I've got lots of thoughts running through my head, and I don't want to take up too much space by double posting

Old 06-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Nobility

First thought on some of those pictures: one day, many many many years from now, I look forward to hearing Louise's recollections of spending time with her grandmother the Queen.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKRoyalsFan View Post
By the time Prince Charles succeeds (assuming nothing catastrophic occurs to make that happen early), most of his uncles and aunts, if not all, will likely be dead. I think the youngest, the Duke of Gloucester, was born in the 1940s.
The Duke of Gloucester is the Queen's first cousin, thus, he is the Prince of Wales' first cousin, once removed. Not his uncle.

Charles has no surviving aunts and never had an uncle.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for all of the links to pictures of the day.
It was good to see Lady Louise at this event.Everyone looked great.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I wonder why Andrew was not wearing a military uniform?

(He's actually entitled to!)

I was about to ask this very question...?

Lady Louise is an extremely pretty little girl.

I love the DoC's ivory Alexander McQueen coat!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7

Pardon?! You mean you´re not able to watch the birthday parade of your own Queen while we here in continental europe, who have completely other heads of state, can...?!
I know!. Rather silly, as it is HM's birthday parade and as her subject in Canada I can't easily watch it. I mean, I can go online and watch it, but I shouldn't need to go to such lengths to watch the birthday parade of my sovereign!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
First thought on some of those pictures: one day, many many many years from now, I look forward to hearing Louise's recollections of spending time with her grandmother the Queen.
I look foreward to this as well.

Sorry for my ignorance but who are the other three little girls?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybags

Duchess of Gloucester and Lady Nicholas Windsor:
Picture details
I maybe wrong but isn't the lady in blue the Duchess of Kent? And purple is Princess Alexandria? And isn't one of these ladies Alexandria's daughter in law Julia? Or am i getting mixed up bc I don't see the Duchess of Gloucester here? Can someone point her out to me please? I'm not good at 'find the royal ' :)

Edit- ok I am wrong Duchess of Gloucester is lady in blue :) who's the guy behind her?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Darwin View Post
I look foreward to this as well.

Sorry for my ignorance but who are the other three little girls?
I agree with you in regards to looking forward to some recollections from Lady Louise in her adult years.

As for the other three girls, they were Eloise and Estella Taylor (lady Helen's and Tim Taylor's girls) and Margarita Armstrong-Jones. All were rather precious in their dresses and hair ribbons (or a hair band, as the case was for one of the Taylor girls, and she kept playing with it, which I found amusing).

Hope this helps you.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
The Duke of Gloucester is the Queen's first cousin, thus, he is the Prince of Wales' first cousin, once removed. Not his uncle.

Charles has no surviving aunts and never had an uncle.
He did have uncles, the husbands of his aunts, who are technically called uncles (who doesn't consider their aunt's husband their uncle?):

Gottfried, Prince of Hohenlohe Langenburg (Husband of Princess Margarita)
Berthold, Margrave of Baden (Husband of Princess Theodora)
Prince George William of Hanover (Husband of Princess Sophie)
and of course, The Earl of Snowdon
Old 06-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Royal Highness

Totally confused- who are the first 3 and how are they related to Charles? Are those Phillip's sisters husbands?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope View Post
I know!. Rather silly, as it is HM's birthday parade and as her subject in Canada I can't easily watch it. I mean, I can go online and watch it, but I shouldn't need to go to such lengths to watch the birthday parade of my sovereign!!!

It is the same here in Australia - sure pay TV viewers can get it if they are interested but...

if there really was any real interest in this parade down here I am sure that we would get it but the stations know that the majority of people wouldn't be interested in watching it so why go to the bother? My brother works for the ABC and I asked him this question a number of years ago and the reply was that the powers that be at the station didn't believe that there was sufficient interest based on the surveys etc that they do.

We have had a short 30 sec showing on the news here with the emphasis on Kate and William.

Given the time that it was on was 8.00 p.m. on a Saturday night here - prime time on a Saturday night - there simply wasn't the interest - the commercial stations wouldn't be able to sell enough adverstisements to cover the ceremony and people also want their football (one of the stations left the wedding mid-way through to show the football remember - they were in the Abbey but were still not married) and the government owned station is way too left wing to programme something to do with royals that happens every year.

I am not even sure if we will get any coverage of Philip's birthday service tonight.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Courtier

Same situation here - like I said, I don't think there would have been sufficient interest at such an early hour here to make it (financially) worthwhile for broadcasters. A little 30 second piece on the evening news is all we get. A shame that the pomp and pagentry of a big event like Trooping the Colour doesn't garner more interest here, especially since it is the Queen's birthday parade!. I know it wouldn't exactly be a ratings bonanza, but surely they could forgo a couple hours of infomercials???LOL

Prince Philip's Service of Thanksgiving - is that to be aired?? Sigh...yet another event that won't be aired in Canada...maybe republicans are heading up programming at the CBC?? LOL
Old 06-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Kate parents were in the stands in Horse Guards
Picture details
Picture details
Deep emotion caught by the camera
Old 06-12-2011, 01:24 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Totally confused- who are the first 3 and how are they related to Charles? Are those Phillip's sisters husbands?
Yes, Margarita, Theodora, and Sophie were Prince Philip's sisters, those listed were their husbands. His sister Cecilie and her husband and children were killed in a plane crash before Charles was born.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Sure, by marriage. But they are all dead except Lord Snowdon and I highly doubt Charles considers the divorced husband of his late aunt, his uncle.
Again, he has no living aunts or uncles by marriage.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:03 AM
Royal Highness

The Duchess of Cornwall's jewelry was amazing at Trooping the Colour. Anyone recognize the necklace?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Again, he has no living aunts or uncles by marriage.
I actually think the opposite. I do think that he probably regards Tony as his uncle, simply because he was his uncle for so long and he is the father of his maternal cousins.

If the marriage had only lasted a couple of years or their were no children then I could understand him not thinking that but the marriage lasted for years and there are two children of that marriage who attend a number of events.

How would he talk to them about their father, or even greet him at one of those events - 'Hi Lord Snowdon' or 'Hi Uncle Tony'?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Or, 'hi Tony'? Seems perfectly reasonable, if not likely, to me.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybags View Post
Duchess of Gloucester and Lady Nicholas Windsor:
Picture details

full balcony scene:
Picture details
Wow, thanks. Who's the woman in the pink with the big white hat?

Broody Kate Middleton and Prince William make Trooping the Colour debut | Mail Online

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour