The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Catherine will be given the RFO for a while yet, but you never know! Sophie got it in 2004 after the birth if Louise and it was first seen in Mary and Fred's wedding May 2004. When did Camilla receive the RFO?

Last edited by a moderator:
...When did Camilla receive the RFO?
Well, I think Camilla was first pictured with the Order in 2007. So two years after her marriage. The Duchess of Cambridge have been married into the royal family for two years. Then again, we won't know if she have the Royal Family Order until she attends an event where the Order is worn.

Do anyone think The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will get The Order of Merit at some point?

Do anyone think The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will get The Order of Merit at some point?

Order of Merit is far far more precious than Order of Garter. (Just have a look at the people who got it). And moreover, there are no convenient categories in it like Extras/Companions etc. to sneak everyone in
I am sure William will be be given that, but wait.. not now, very much well into Charles' reign. Forget Harry getting it.

Last edited:
William may get it in the reign of Charles and if not will Head the Order in time.

Harry probably never - Charles had to wait for it and is the only one of the Queen's children to have it.

I think any member of the BRF who receives the OM will have to have demonstrated some sort of success/contribution to society beyond merely being a royal, and that success will have to have received public acknowledgement such as the Duke of Edinburgh Awards or the Princes Trust. Getting it for merely being a prince would diminish the honour for the other recipients who have achieved great things through their own work.

William & Harry have achieved great things through their work.

Frankly William and Harry have barely touched the surface.

Philip has it because the Queen wanted him to have it ( or maybe military service) and Charles because he is the next Monarch.

To get it you must have given distinguished service in the armed forces, art, literature, science or the promotion of culture.

No one else in the BRF have done this - you are supposed to be the BEST at what you do.

I really appreciate what William and Harry do, but they don't qualify, yet.

William & Harry have achieved great things through their work.

William & Harry have barely started their careers and have achieved nothing outstanding yet, at least nothing that I can see people looking at and saying that was a great contribution to the nation. Philip had the DofE Awards that have impacted many thousands of young lives and Charles has the Princes Trust which is the largest private charity in the UK, both deserving of the OM.

William & Harry have barely started their careers and have achieved nothing outstanding yet, at least nothing that I can see people looking at and saying that was a great contribution to the nation. Philip had the DofE Awards that have impacted many thousands of young lives and Charles has the Princes Trust which is the largest private charity in the UK, both deserving of the OM.
I have to,agree, William and Harry have just started there Career. They have done some good but nothing totally outstanding yet to archive such an honor. It probably wont happen until Charles Reign same with Kate. Thus is not a Popularity Contest, You have to earn it.

Not only is it not a popularity contest ( good point ); it is not about the cult of youth. It is about consistent long term achievement.

If Anne, and all her charity work over the last 40 or so years hasn't got it why would anyone think two newbies on the block like William or Harry would have it?

If Anne, and all her charity work over the last 40 or so years hasn't got it why would anyone think two newbies on the block like William or Harry would have it?

Exactly!

The Order of Merit "was founded by King Edward VII at the time of his coronation in 1902, to be 'given to such persons, subjects of Our Crown, as may have rendered exceptionally meritorious services in Our Crown Services or towards the advancement of the Arts, Learning, Literature, and Science or such other exceptional service as We are fit to recognise'."

William and Harry have a long way to go.

I agree with the comments above. William and Harry have not done enough to warrant the awarding of ANY honours (and I include William being made a Knight of the Garter and a Knight of the Thistle) except to be born. Anyone else being honoured has to perform exceptional service or continual service of merit.

Yes, both have set up charities and do good works for charity (which is commendable) but without the HRH before their names that might just qualify them for an MBE in about 30 years time.

Last edited:
William got his garter when he did because it was the thousandth one and they wanted a future king to have it instead of a normal person. Last year's thistle was a 30th birthday present and a bit of sucking up to the scots I think.

William got his garter when he did because it was the thousandth one and they wanted a future king to have it instead of a normal person. Last year's thistle was a 30th birthday present and a bit of sucking up to the scots I think.

You mean rather than someone who earned it through service to the nation.

Yep, when I compare what Prince William has done with previous holders of the title - Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Edmund Hillary etc, it makes sense that the honour should be reserved for someone whose sole reason for the honour is being born.

Well as one wag once said about the Garter "What I like about the Garter is that there is no damn merit about it". The Garter is purely as the whim and wish of the monarch. Besides royal members are in a different class and their appointments do not impact HMs ability to give one of the limited Knight Companion positions to "someone who earned it through service to the nation".

Yep, when I compare what Prince William has done with previous holders of the title - Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Edmund Hillary etc, it makes sense that the honour should be reserved for someone whose sole reason for the honour is being born.

Monarchs and future monarchs and senior royals giving service to the monarch become Members of the Order. William got his because he needs to understand what it is about because one day he will be giving out this honour.

This is the highest honour that can be given by the crown. In the UK it means a lot.

The key members are the 24 - and the latest to join Sir "Jock" Stirrup was Chief of the Defence Staff. These 24 are not handed out willy nilly - there have been vacancies for a number of year.

ITs going to be worth watching this years ceremony as there is a new knight

I just don't believe honours - any honour, should be given for being born or getting married. I think it cheapens them for those, like Churchill & Hillary to use my earlier examples, who have performed long service or great deeds.

I would like to see honours & orders of chivalry restricted to the Monarch and those who have performed service to earn them. I would judge members of the Royal Family by the same criteria as everyone else. If they do something outstanding then by all means honour them (Lord Mountbatten for example), if not, sorry, no glory.

By the time Camilla & Carherine receive their Garter Orders, they will have earned it.

He is going to be King for "Just Being Born".

Yes he is, but there is no pretence that the monarchy is egalitarian and merit based - the honours system is supposed to merit based.

Anyway, we are not going to agree on this. Nothing anyone says is going to change my opinion that honours should only be awarded for some special service to the nation or that being a member of the royal family constitutes special service to the nation and I am not going to sway others from their opinions so we will just have to agree to disagree.

Honours in the UK, and Australia for that matter, fall into two categories - one is merit based and they are the ones that parliament recommends to The Queen and are the bulk of the honours awarded.

The second are those that are given to people simply for being the people they are e.g. The Queen gets all sorts of honours not only in the UK but around the world simply for being The Queen, including the Order of Australia - Charles also has that award as to all past and present GGs - simply for holding that position.

There is nothing wrong with the idea that some honours go to a person because of who they are while others go to people because of what they have done.

Why does Sophie have the Order of St. John but Camilla doesn't?

Why does Sophie have the Order of St. John but Camilla doesn't?

According to Wikipedia Sophie has the Dame of Justice of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem (DStJ) but Camilla does not. Sophie received hers in 2005, after only 6 years of marriage.

Any ideas?

Don't think anyone's going to be able to answer that for definite, just seemingly hasn't happened yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom