The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
If the Princes of the House of Nassau have the of the Golden Lion of nasau why does the sons of Prince Margreit not have it?
The order of the lion of Nassau is unique in that it has two distinct branches, in Lux and the Netherlands. The head of each branch, Henri and WA, are grand masters. They can appoint honorary order members, with the approval of both masters but it isn't done often. Mandela received it.

In the case of non-honorary, it is awarded to the sons, and since 1984 daughters of the grand masters receive the order at 18. Alexandra of Luxembourg is the first daughter to receive it. Margreit's sons were not the sons of a Grand master, so were not eligible to receive the order unless an honorary one. The same goes for Bea's grandchildren. the triple A's will get it at 18, their cousins will not.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The facts is that the Queen has only given the Royal Family Order swiftly (within the first year or two of married life) to Charles's wives, and that is because he is the Prince of Wales and the heir to the throne.

Yes, the ivory might be an issue as to why Kate hasn't been given the RFO as far as is known, but other reasons why she hasn't received it so far could be just as valid. First, that she has not been a full time Royal so far, (and Sophie was at the time she received it) and also William is second in line and not the direct heir.

Instead of leaping at the suggestion that the Ivory surrounding the Order is the problem, how about everyone waiting till the end of the year and seeing whether she will wear it at any appropriate occasion before then?
Although William is second in line to the throne, that didn't stop The Queen from giving William two knighthoods. Also, the second in line and his wife now attends State events where the orders are required. All of this tells me that Catherine should at be given the RFO.

I agree that we should just wait and see. There are State events coming up in the fall and winter where the order will be worn.

I just think the British royals shouldn't be so hard on giving these orders. I don't think this was the case back in George V and past royals days.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Although William is second in line to the throne, that didn't stop The Queen from giving William two knighthoods. Also, the second in line and his wife now attends State events where the orders are required. All of this tells me that Catherine should at be given the RFO.

I agree that we should just wait and see. There are State events coming up in the fall and winter where the order will be worn.

I just think the British royals shouldn't be so hard on giving these orders. I don't think this was the case back in George V and past royals days.
The way I see it there are two problems:
a) The issue with ivory
b) Catherine and William are not full time royals. I cant think of any other part-time royals that were given the RFO

We just have to wait and see.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Serene Highness

The Queen has her own reasons for doing things. Remember that Charles was appointed to the Garter in 1958, Anne in 1994 but Andrew and Edward were appointed 12 years later in 2006. In fact the Duke of Kent was appointed to the Garter in 1985 (9 years before Anne) and the Duke of Gloucester in 1996 (10 years before Andrew and Edward), and Princess Alexandra was appointed 3 years before the Queen's own sons.
Clearly the Queen must have had a reason for waiting so long between each person (I know the Garter is different from the RFO, not least because membership of the Garter is limited in number but still it shows that the Queen obviously does have a plan or reasons in mind when doing these things)
People can speculate all they like but these orders are all in the Queen's gift so basically she can do what she likes.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The Queen has her own reasons for doing things. Remember that Charles was appointed to the Garter in 1958, Anne in 1994 but Andrew and Edward were appointed 12 years later in 2006. In fact the Duke of Kent was appointed to the Garter in 1985 (9 years before Anne) and the Duke of Gloucester in 1996 (10 years before Andrew and Edward), and Princess Alexandra was appointed 3 years before the Queen's own sons.
Clearly the Queen must have had a reason for waiting so long between each person (I know the Garter is different from the RFO, not least because membership of the Garter is limited in number but still it shows that the Queen obviously does have a plan or reasons in mind when doing these things)
People can speculate all they like but these orders are all in the Queen's gift so basically she can do what she likes.
I think she really don't think about giving family members family orders and knighthoods until someone (perhaps members of her court or family) brings it up. Probably not specific reasons, but perhaps it's not on her mind.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Serene Highness

That may well be true, I can't imagine the Queen saying 'no' if one of her Private Secretaries said 'Ma'am hadn't we better give the Duchess the RFO'. Perhaps Kate needs to start taking the Private Secretaries out for lunch lol
Old 05-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Charles also joins William on the ivory trade, but Camilla still wear her family order that's made with ivory. I still say if ivory presents a problem, why not have all the Royal ladies orders reset without ivory?

I just think it's not fair to leave Catherine bare of the family order over the use of ivory, when there's a simple and obvious solution to the problem. If that's the actual problem.
William has taken a much more strident position than Charles in that he has called for existing products made of ivory be destroyed. Perhaps ivory is not the only factor but I think William's stance on ivory is a factor in why Kate has not been given the RFO.

My speculation is that I don't think that the Queen is going to jump through a bunch of hoops to give Kate the RFO but also accommodate William's stance on ivory, e.g., give Kate the order and then allow Kate's order to be a different material. Even though she can be accommodating in some areas, I suspect the Queen is not going to yield in this area and both she and William are standing on their respective principles. And as someone else pointed out, Kate ostensibly being the first and only female royal, other than the Queen herself, who has worn the Queen's engagement bracelet is a sign that the Queen holds her in some regard.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Well her father isn't a member of the royal family and the order of the elephant in Denmark, for example, actually isn't restricted to royals and is given to other people who have served the country with distinction. I think the order of the seraphim isn't exclusively for royals either.
We are drifting from the original topic, but the Order of the Dannebrog is given to the in-laws of the Danish Monarch.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Princess Michael of Kent has been attending State Events for decades and she doesn't have the RFO. That arguement doesn't hold up as a result.

Simply the Queen hasn't decided to give Kate the RFO at this point in time for her own reasons and we can speculate all we like but as it is a personal award from the monarch to the person obviously the Queen doesn't feel that Kate has done enough yet. You can argue that she has but we aren't privy to the internal workings of the BRF and the Queen will have her reasons.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Princess Michael of Kent has been attending State Events for decades and she doesn't have the RFO. That arguement doesn't hold up as a result.

Simply the Queen hasn't decided to give Kate the RFO at this point in time for her own reasons and we can speculate all we like but as it is a personal award from the monarch to the person obviously the Queen doesn't feel that Kate has done enough yet. You can argue that she has but we aren't privy to the internal workings of the BRF and the Queen will have her reasons.
Princess Michael isn't a working senior Royal. She attends as the extended part of the family. The argument does hold up.

It's not odd to question the fact that after five years of faithful service on The Queen's behalf, Catherine don't have her royal family order yet. She should have by this year.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-16-2016, 05:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I noticed yesterday that Lady Louise was wearing a Diamond Jubilee medal last night when she was in the parade.

Lady Louise

Nice to see that all the family, even the little ones, got the medal.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Princess Michael isn't a working senior Royal. She attends as the extended part of the family. The argument does hold up.

It's not odd to question the fact that after five years of faithful service on The Queen's behalf, Catherine don't have her royal family order yet. She should have by this year.
What is "faithful service"? She is just the lady whom happens to be married to the Queen's grandson. I don't think that is an element to grant the RFO: Diana and Camilla have received quite soon. Or were the 'faithful' services given by these two more than what Catherine gave?

Old 05-16-2016, 08:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:

I don't understand questioning the fact that Catherine does not have the RFO after being part of the royal family for five years but then not questioning why Princess Michael has not gotten the RFO even though she has been part of the royal family for over 30 years.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
What is "faithful service"? She is just the lady whom happens to be married to the Queen's grandson. I don't think that is an element to grant the RFO: Diana and Camilla have received quite soon. Or were the 'faithful' services given by these two more than what Catherine gave?

It just mean a continuation of serving The Queen as a senior member of the royal family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I don't understand questioning the fact that Catherine does not have the RFO after being part of the royal family for five years but then not questioning why Princess Michael has not gotten the RFO even though she has been part of the royal family for over 30 years.
Princess Michael isn't part of the actual working senior members of the Royal family. I think that may have something to do with it. Not the excuse of her being "too grand for us" (The Queen's said words) or being a "pushy" princess.

Catherine is a working senior royal who carries out official engagements; State, local and foreign on behalf of The Queen. I'm just stating she should have the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II by now.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-16-2016, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe everyone's mind will be blown and she won't get the RFO until Charles is King and she and William are next in line and fully committed full-time working royals.

In the meantime, I doubt she's losing sleep over it.

LaRae
Old 05-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Maybe everyone's mind will be blown and she won't get the RFO until Charles is King and she and William are next in line and fully committed full-time working royals.

In the meantime, I doubt she's losing sleep over it.

LaRae
She will have the RFO of QEII, because her service began under The Queen's reign. When Charles come to the throne, she'll have his and so on. This is how it works.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

If the Queen doesn't give her one (which we don't if she has it or not) and then dies, how can she wear the Queen's RFO?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Commoner

Quote:
It just mean a continuation of serving The Queen as a senior member of the royal family.

Princess Michael isn't part of the actual working senior members of the Royal family. I think that may have something to do with it. Not the excuse of her being "too grand for us" (The Queen's said words) or being a "pushy" princess.

Catherine is a working senior royal who carries out official engagements; State, local and foreign on behalf of The Queen. I'm just stating she should have the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II by now.
Sure, she is senior royal and she did things you have mentioned, but for now, she and William are still part time working royals - she is mostly at home with the kids and William is co-pilot at EAAA.
I believe she will receive one when she will be full time working royal.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mademoisellekate View Post
Sure, she is senior royal and she did things you have mentioned, but for now, she and William are still part time working royals - she is mostly at home with the kids and William is co-pilot at EAAA.
I believe she will receive one when she will be full time working royal.
Both William and Harry are part time royals, but they have received knighthoods. Princess Anne had a career as an equestrian, but she too received the family order before becoming a full time royal. It's not about being a part time royal. Catherine is in the position to have it.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She will have the RFO of QEII, because her service began under The Queen's reign. When Charles come to the throne, she'll have his and so on. This is how it works.
Possible then they are making a new one for her sans ivory?

LaRae

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order