The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-24-2019, 11:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I found that interesting as well, and it makes me suspect that in this current climate, all the royals are going to be having their finances and contacts under the microscope for a while. This could be fascinating in a horrible, train-wreck kind of way.
Yes, I think when the Queen dies the whole set up will collapse like a pack of cards. The cracks are big and very apparent already now in her lifetime. I simply don't think there is enough strength and unity in the family for it to go on when Her Majesty passes and so many of them seem consumed with using their position to line their own pockets and live a luxurious life that the public can't be bothered with them any more. Time will tell.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the monarchy is strong in the UK. And all will be well. I hope so.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Yes, I think when the Queen dies the whole set up will collapse like a pack of cards. The cracks are big and very apparent already now in her lifetime. I simply don't think there is enough strength and unity in the family for it to go on when Her Majesty passes and so many of them seem consumed with using their position to line their own pockets and live a luxurious life that the public can't be bothered with them any more. Time will tell.

What set up exactly?

“Strength and unity in the family for it to go on” - what exactly is to go on? Them being a family or something else?
Old 08-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
What set up exactly?

“Strength and unity in the family for it to go on” - what exactly is to go on? Them being a family or something else?
The Monarchy.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I think so too. I'm expecting a wobble when the monarch changes but I think he'll slim down the working members & make changes that will gain public approval.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Royal Highness

The BRF is taking a hit starting with non-troversies with Harry and Meghan and silly alleged turf wars with House Sussex and House Cambridge. The real problem is Andrew's mess and how it would impact the House of Windsor because this involves alleged crimes. When Charles ascends he has a lot of cleaning up, even in his own house if there is residual resistance to Camilla being named Queen.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I have no problem with Camilla becoming queen. She is the wife of Prince Charles and when he becomes king, she must become queen consort.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I have no problem with Camilla becoming queen. She is the wife of Prince Charles and when he becomes king, she must become queen consort.
I agree, but neither of us live in Britain or the Commonwealth.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
The BRF is taking a hit starting with non-troversies with Harry and Meghan and silly alleged turf wars with House Sussex and House Cambridge. The real problem is Andrew's mess and how it would impact the House of Windsor because this involves alleged crimes. When Charles ascends he has a lot of cleaning up, even in his own house if there is residual resistance to Camilla being named Queen.
Harry and Meghan's 'do as we say not do as we do' is not a 'nontroversy' at all. It is simple hypocrisy.

Andrew's story has been in the public domain since at least 2011. Nothing new has been revealed that wasn't revealed in 2011. All they have done is make it much harder to even try to bring any charges against him in the UK as they will have to wait years again to try and get an impartial jury.

The split between the Cambridges and Sussexes is a non-story as it was always going to happen. William is being positioned as the future King while Harry is being positioned as the future irrelevant royal (like Andrew and Margaret before him).
Old 08-24-2019, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Harry and Meghan's 'do as we say not do as we do' is not a 'nontroversy' at all. It is simple hypocrisy.

Andrew's story has been in the public domain since at least 2011. Nothing new has been revealed that wasn't revealed in 2011. All they have done is make it much harder to even try to bring any charges against him in the UK as they will have to wait years again to try and get an impartial jury.

The split between the Cambridges and Sussexes is a non-story as it was always going to happen. William is being positioned as the future King while Harry is being positioned as the future irrelevant royal (like Andrew and Margaret before him).
Some people are acting as if some of the new info coming out about Epstein himself is info that was known about him, and by association Andrew, 8 years ago. I agree with you, there really is nothing new about Andrew.

Actually my hope is Harry takes his Aunt Anne as his inspiration for his future, more so than his Uncle Andrew and Great Aunt Margaret.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I agree, though I don't live in the UK or Commonwealth. I actually have a lot of respect for Prince Charles.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

You do know that Harry and Meghan are senior royals and will play a big role in not only supporting Charles and William, but representing the Monarchy into the future, right? It’s going to be years and years before George, Charlotte and Louis, will become relevant to the inner workings of the royal “firm.”

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-25-2019, 02:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Actually my hope is Harry takes his Aunt Anne as his inspiration for his future, more so than his Uncle Andrew and Great Aunt Margaret.
I think Harry will be the one that breaks the "second banana" syndrome. Harry has never shown to be all about himself but rather, to me, the opposite. Watching Harry at any public gathering and its Harry that is making whomever he's talking with and interacting with feel as they're his new best friend. Harry is more a person that identifies with other people rather than focus on his own self importance.

Its called being comfortable in his own skin and being confident and interested in those around him.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 08-25-2019, 02:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I agree. Eventually the kids will be in their teens/20s and the attention will be squarely on them. That is not to say their parents will suddenly stop making headlines as well. This social media 24 hour new cycle world has changed a lot. And who knows how things will look in 10 to 20 years from now.

I do feel that major shifts will happen once HMQ is no longer with us and it is hard to even know how the monarchy will be shaped by it. I know a lot of the "older" generation who have little use for the likes of the Cambridges and Sussexes and only truly respect The Queen. Once she is gone, so is their interest.

So they do need to make sure that Generation Z is invested too.
We have seen in the Netherlands, in Belgium, in Spain and in Japan that a new monarch indeed means another style but also a new boost. How could "folksy" Prince Willem-Alexander ever replace his Most Beatrixian Mother? How could the clumsy and goofy Prince Philippe ever function in that dysfunctional constitution of Belgian, Flemish, Walloon and Brussels politics? How could vulnerable Princess Masako be an Empress? But see: like Prince Felipe, all of them have taken over and so far with success. I have no doubt that King Charles, with the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, Rothesay and Cambridge and with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be an united front and show a new face of the British monarchy.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I have no doubt that King Charles, with the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, Rothesay and Cambridge and with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be an united front and show a new face of the British monarchy.
I agree wholeheartedly. It will be a complete different game.

But the Queen might become older than her mother, what means we are talking about a future somewhat far away. And this is a good thing!
Old 09-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Nobility

I did read about Prince William's latest endeavours in the charity world here at the royal forums today... and I wondered, if he knows, how the Parliament is prorogued/suspended and what his function, the function of the Monarch, in this process is.

Is it not time for him, to start to care about his future function as King and "pope" of England?

Or is this perhaps a good thing, considered that he will be more a ceremonial King and "pope" of England, that he loves his charity work so much, that he might become a Monarch totally dependent on his advisors due to a certain lack of personal knowledge?
Old 09-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Majesty

In addition to both the formal and informal training William receives from his grandmother and father. The story is while at Eton on Sunday afternoons at 4pm, he would take tea with the Queen at Windsor Castle where they would discuss William’s Royal duties and he was also tutored by Dr Andrew Gailey, a respected constitutional historian.

William meets frequently with government ministers, receives cabinet briefings and is a member of the Privy Council.

I think the Queen keeps him well in the loop.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think Harry will be the one that breaks the "second banana" syndrome. Harry has never shown to be all about himself but rather, to me, the opposite. Watching Harry at any public gathering and its Harry that is making whomever he's talking with and interacting with feel as they're his new best friend. Harry is more a person that identifies with other people rather than focus on his own self importance.

Its called being comfortable in his own skin and being confident and interested in those around him.

Princess Anne is one of the busiest royals (as measured by number of engagements per year). Yet she keeps a very low profile. I hope that, in his older years, Harry follows Anne's step, i.e. he should remain active, but not seek the limelight for himself and his wife.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Commoner

I greatly admire Anne. But I do not think Harry is necessarily seeking attention now. Rather, it is something he has had on him since his birth as on of Diana's sons. I think as the years go by the spotlight will dim for them as it has for all other second sons and he will be fine with it I think.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
William is being positioned as the future King while Harry is being positioned as the future irrelevant royal (like Andrew and Margaret before him).
I always find it weird when people are hoping that Harry will be put aside and made irrelevant as soon as the Queen dies... especially when said people adore the Cambridge family because, after all, the future of Charlotte and Louis will look a lot like their uncle Harry's.

I am not sure what example William would give to his children by casting aside his own brother who has done nothing that could be compared to what Andrew is accused of.

As for accusations of hypocrisy, haven't we talked many times how a lot of other member of the BRF, William included could be accused of that?

Harry and Meghan attract other people, than the already Cambridge fans, to be interested in the BRF, how could it be bad news? Classic people could identify themselves with William and Kate, trendy/ecolo/woke with H&M and etc

I think it will be very hard in the future to have a monarch that was so little known and thus so good at representing all people than the Queen.