State Visit from the President of the Republic of Ireland: April 8-10, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Australian is the most comfy of all the state carriages. The gold state coach is apparently the worst to ride in which is probably why it wasn't used for the diamond jubilee.

Hadn´t it been much more appropriate to use the Irish State coach instead? It´s also a closed one and looks very much like the australian.
But perhaps this might not have been received as a gesture of hospitality, but of offence...?

The most improbable juxtaposition happened in 2007 when the Reverend Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness agreed to serve as Northern Ireland's First Minister and Deputy First Minister respectively, having spent the previous 35 years denouncing each other.

It was probably this, more than any other single event, that paved the way eventually for the Republican Tricolour to fly at Windsor.

I'm just not getting the 'historic' aspect here. Mr Higgins has visited the UK several times since becoming President. This is just a normal state visit the same as for any other country. This one's just a bit fancier than his previous visits.

The really historic one was when the Queen went the other way, particularly given the very high threat to her life while in the Irish Republic.

Before anyone complains, I was born and raised in Northern Ireland, although I've lived away from the province for going on 6 years now. I know the issues between the Irish and the British as well as anyone.

On a lighter note, I didn't think there was a shorter head of state than the Queen, but apparently I was wrong!

Umm...I'm not quite sure what you mean.

In 1992, I was in Belfast and took a photo of Irish President Mary Robinson's car as she arrived on a visit to the city; and the man next to me was so annoyed with me he shook his fist at me.

Hadn´t it been much more appropriate to use the Irish State coach instead? It´s also a closed one and looks very much like the australian.
But perhaps this might not have been received as a gesture of hospitality, but of offence...?

The Australian coach is much newer from 1988 as poster Roslyn pointed out earlier. The Irish coach is from 1851. The ride in the Australian is more comfortable due to the hydraulic stabilizers it has that's why they often use it in these kind of events. Plus the Queen and the President aren't the youngest people so they went with comfort over it's the Irish coach for the Irish.

I noticed Daniel Day Lewis & Sir Terry Wogan among the guests at the State Banquet. Queen's Speech
Full text of Queen’s speech to State Banquet - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Tue, Apr 08, 2014

Thanks for the link. It's a lovely speech. QEII's speeches tend to evoke visual memories for me - and that's a lovely ability for a speechwriter to have.
The joke: "it took someone of Irish descent, Danny Boyle, to get me to jump from a helicopter."
The pain: "After so much chequered history, the avoidable and regrettable pain of which is still felt by many of us, this goal is now within reach."
The toast: 'I ask you to rise and drink a toast to the President and Mrs. Higgins and to the health and prosperity of the people of Ireland."

Zimbio has a nice gallery for today, already.
DOY as tour guide: http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/...+State+Visit+Irish+President+dFTpRupkLoGl.jpg

On the stairs: http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/...+State+Visit+Irish+President+o8x2L6r-fd7l.jpg

Whomever the pool photographer was for the Windsor Castle tour was - he/she really worked the angles!

At #10 (Higgins smile in this is evident from behind, mind you) http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Michael+Higgins+Prime+Minister+David+Cameron+fQTdwas2ITAl.jpg

Sabina and Michael: http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Sabina+Higgins+First+State+Visit+Irish+President+LmCXhBbvqjhl.jpg

Last edited:
Dressed in his evening finery, Martin McGuinness arrived at Windsor last night for dinner with the Queen.
But as his limousine swept through the castle gates, he was greeted by the grief-stricken face of the father of an Omagh bomb victim. Victor Barker spelt out exactly why he felt the former IRA chief had no place at the state banquet.
His placard read: ‘A terrorist in a white tie and tails is still a terrorist – Martin McGuiness [sic] time to tell the truth.’

Irish President Michael D Higgins arrives in Britain for historic state visit | Mail Online

When it is about splendour, the British do a very good job. That table at Windsor Castle is very impressive. Again and again it is a pleasure for the eye. The only careful critic (or better: a recommendation) I would dare to utter: please move away those hideous lamps with lampshades. Use real candles! Nothing beats the warm and fairylike illumination coming from hundreds of flickering candles, multiplied in brilliant reflections by the crystal glassware and the sparkling diamonds worn by the ladies.

Last week King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima received the Swedish royal couple in an equally stunning venue. They used impressive silver candelabras with real candles. To prevent dripping or leaking, each candle had a protective glass 'bulb', gliding down with the melting of the candles. It prevents candles blown out by an airwave, it is safer with that fire and it prevents dripping on the expensive damast tableware. After the table speeches, the lights in the enormous marble venue were dimmed and the hundreds of slightly moving and trembling lights from the candles did their magic...

Last edited:
The Australian coach is much newer from 1988 as poster Roslyn pointed out earlier. The Irish coach is from 1851. The ride in the Australian is more comfortable due to the hydraulic stabilizers it has that's why they often use it in these kind of events. Plus the Queen and the President aren't the youngest people so they went with comfort over it's the Irish coach for the Irish.

Could this really be the reason?! I mean, the Irish State Coach won´t be THAT uncomfortable not to be able to ride in it for about 5-10 Min. ...
HM still often uses the I St Coach for her ride to the Houses of Parliament to deliver her Speech. This ride takes longer (about 15 Min.)

When it is about splendour, the British do a very good job. That table at Windsor Castle is very impressive. Again and again it is a pleasure for the eye. The only careful critic (or better: a recommendation) I would dare to utter: please move away those hideous lamps with lampshades. Use real candles! Nothing beats the warm and fairylike illumination coming from hundreds of flickering candles, multiplied in brilliant reflections by the crystal glassware and the sparkling diamonds worn by the ladies.

Last week King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima received the Swedish royal couple in an equally stunning venue. They used impressive silver candelabras with real candles. To prevent dripping or leaking, each candle had a protective glass 'bulb', gliding down with the melting of the candles. It prevents candles blown out by an airwave, it is safer with that fire and it prevents dripping on the expensive damast tableware. After the table speeches, the lights in the enormous marble venue were dimmed and the hundreds of slightly moving and trembling lights from the candles did their magic...[/QUOTE]

Nice description. Arent't those candle things called bobeche? Is that a French word?

Last week King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima received the Swedish royal couple in an equally stunning venue. They used impressive silver candelabras with real candles. To prevent dripping or leaking, each candle had a protective glass 'bulb', gliding down with the melting of the candles. It prevents candles blown out by an airwave, it is safer with that fire and it prevents dripping on the expensive damast tableware. After the table speeches, the lights in the enormous marble venue were dimmed and the hundreds of slightly moving and trembling lights from the candles did their magic...

Given the very recent and very painful history of Windsor Castle and fire, I think they tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to candles. They know what they're doing when it comes to fire safety. Plus, the little shades lead to a more intimate, gentle light which I think works very well, without anyone getting blinded by the glare of the candles' reflection on glass.

The Queen's been doing this long enough and personally inspects the table herself a few hours before the banquet, she knows what she likes.

I quite understand their feelings.

But when the Reverend Ian Paisley agreed to have Mr McGuinness several years ago as his Deputy in Northern Ireland, then Mr. McGuinness's presence in official and senior level events became more or less inevitable.

Like all of us, his past will haunt him. But it should not ransom the entire future of two countries and two peoples forever - just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom