State Visit from the Emperor and Empress of Japan: Spring 2020 [postponed]

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Query if we will have an incoming state visit from Japan this year in the autumn or in spring 2024?

So far there has been no announcement from either court.

Normally incoming British State Visits are announced at the State Opening of Parliament which is set for 7th November.

With the postponed French State Visit also to be rescheduled I suspect that Japan may be on the back burner, especially if the rumour that Charles wants to make a large Commonwealth tour next year is true.

So far there has been no announcement from either court.

Normally incoming British State Visits are announced at the State Opening of Parliament which is set for 7th November.

With the postponed French State Visit also to be rescheduled I suspect that Japan may be on the back burner, especially if the rumour that Charles wants to make a large Commonwealth tour next year is true.

In QE2's reign, the pattern used to be an outgoing state visit and an incoming one in the Autumn, and the same in the spring. So I suspect both France (outgoing) and Japan, or any other country (incoming) can be accomoated this spring.

As regards Commonwealth, I expect there will be one trip to Aus & NZ and another to Canada in the not too distant future.

Japanese media report planning is underway for the UK state visit in late June. Possibly June 22-29

Japan imperial couple state visit to Britain planned for June - Kyodo News
Preparations between the British and Japanese governments are proceeding with consideration for the king's health. Buckingham Palace said in February that Charles has been diagnosed with cancer and advised to postpone public-facing duties while he undergoes treatment.

Emperor, Empress to Make State Visit to U.K. on Invitation of King Charles; Their Second Overseas Goodwill Trip - The Japan News
According to sources familiar with the matter, the Imperial couple will leave Japan on June 22 for London. In addition to attending the welcoming ceremony and banquet at Buckingham Palace, the Emperor and Empress will attend a luncheon with U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and his wife, a dinner hosted by London Mayor Sadiq Khan, and other occasions.

On the sideline of official events, the two governments are arraigning that the Imperial couple will attend a gathering of people who have contributed to the friendly relations between the two countries and will inspect a facility regarding transportation on the Thames River, a theme that the Emperor researched while he was studying in the United Kingdom for two years from 1983.

On the final day of the visit, the Imperial couple will visit the University of Oxford. One idea that has surfaced is that the two will tour sites connected to their memories as they visit the university’s Merton College, were the Emperor studied, and Balliol College, where the Empress studied, before heading to the airport to leave for Japan. The two are scheduled to return to Japan on June 29.

NTV also mentions visiting Queen Elizabeth II's tomb.

Back
Top Bottom