The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense View Post
Obama made a greater faux pas than those mentioned! He addressed the Queen as 'you' throughout his speech. Even Prince Charles addresses his mother in the third person in public! Who wrote that speech?!?
Than we must agree to disagree. Cause I don't like getting kisses from people I don't know...so I am going to go with that faux pas (Jimmy Carter kissing the Queen Mother).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Of course you can. Andrew attended the King of Thailand's Diamond Jubilee on behalf of his mother in 2007. It's just that Edward and Sophie seem to be the one's who work the Continental circuit for whatever reason.
In addition I believe either Charles or Phillip attended the Henri and Maria Theresa's wedding. I can't remember off hand who was in the picture but they definitely attended solo.

Still I would be a bit sad if I consistently attend such events by myself.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Royal Highness

President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama welcome Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip for a reciprocal dinner at Winfield House in London, Wednesday, May 25, 2011

DAYLIFE PHOTOS

Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

It depends on whose protocol. The band was out of place. It was obvioous he was still speaking. They were rude. And, actually, at dinners a band playing an anthem is ridiculous. He, certainly, didn't let us down.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Of course you can. Andrew attended the King of Thailand's Diamond Jubilee on behalf of his mother in 2007. It's just that Edward and Sophie seem to be the one's who work the Continental circuit for whatever reason.
It is rare though, which I find really bizarre. I was not stating that it has NEVER been done; I was simply saying that it's not done very often. Then again, Andrew may decline all the invitations.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I love the dress Mrs. Obama is wearing.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Administrator

I like the dress HATE the hair. What is up with that?

Is it me or does the Queen wear white or light colors for evening wear a lot? Any mention of a guest list or other pics?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
I love the dress Mrs. Obama is wearing.
I totally agree! Looks very nice in connection with the necklace.

What have the Obamas seen here?
Photo
Old 05-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
His words were good but the order was totally wrong.

The band was not wrong when it came in but Obama was wrong in the way he worded his speech - he gave the toast and then kept going - WRONG WRONG WRONG - once he offers the toast he has one thing to do and one thing only - SHUT UP because he has finished. Offering the toast ends the speech - it is that simple. The band is trained to start the anthem on hearing the toast offered - that is their cue and Obama was simply wrong.

It wasn't the band's fault but Obama's and he has to take the blame for not doing things the right way.

I have read a number of people who think that Mrs Obama looked good at the evening function but can anyone tell me when she put on all the weight - she used to look good but that dress made her look overweight and top heavy - far from flattering.

I thinkt that everyone looked & behave wonderful at both events. My only thing is with the 1st ladies Dress. Poor thing she had to fight with it in the wind. Not a fan of jacket either, she still looked great.

& She like me once, spring & summer comes. The sleeves are gone. I can't stand having my arms covered during the hot weather. & she has great arms.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Serene Highness

YouTube - ‪Their Royal Highnesses welcome The President of the United States and Mrs Obama‬‏
Old 05-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Jeez, how some people can get worked up about something trivial when there was a much more important event going on...

I doubt Catherine needs to be lectured about being too tanned and I also don't think this forum is the right place to discuss things like that

Very well stated.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I like the dress HATE the hair. What is up with that?

Is it me or does the Queen wear white or light colors for evening wear a lot? Any mention of a guest list or other pics?

I not sure I like the hair either. But I guess she wanted to do something different with it. For me, it's not awful but not fantastic either. Still, the dress is a winner for me.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2000 View Post

Very well stated.
ITA, her body her choice.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Royal Highness

No sign of the Cambridges tonight?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Administrator

I think you saw all that you are going to see of the Cambridges.

The photo op allowed them (mainly Catherine) to become familiar with these type of events (State visits), but notice it wasn't live, it also allows the focus to be on the Queen and Obama, because lets face it...there would be a lot of focus on Catherine, her dress, her tiara. She can get that in Canada. This quite different from Diana and Sarah who were just thrown out there. There is going to be a gradual push for William and Catherine.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
The President referenced the War of 1812...where the Brits set fire to the White House??!

Please tell me I misunderstood...
Although it was DURING the War of 1812....August of 1814.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monic View Post
President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama welcome Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip for a reciprocal dinner at Winfield House in London, Wednesday, May 25, 2011

DAYLIFE PHOTOS
Wow! The First Lady looks stunning! I had no idea this was going on, thank you.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by monic

DAYLIFE PHOTOS
Michelle looks much better in this dress then yesterdays- lovely choice, very flattering and pretty !
Old 05-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

I really like Michelle's dress. I would have preferred her hair down though.

The Queen looks nice. It does seem like she wears a lot of white for evening events.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I posted a while back that Edward and Sophie have one of the best deals going in the BRF!

In a few weeks they will travel to the French Riviera as guests of HSH Albert, probably be put up to stay in the magnificent Hotel de Paris if not the Palace itself, dine on haute cuisine by four star chef Alain Ducasse on a beautiful terrace overlooking the Meditarranean, be treated to wonderful firework displays and concerts...all on Prince Albert's dime!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaJa View Post
Wow! The First Lady looks stunning! I had no idea this was going on, thank you.
Michelle really brings her "A" game when she dons evening wear...that black off the shoulder gown is SHEER ELEGANT PERFECTION much like the ivory Tom Ford last night...I prefer her in lighter colors to showcase her beautiful skin tone, but why quibble..she looks great!

BTW ZaJa...that photo in your avatar is said to have been JFK's favorite picture of his wife...she looks so gorgeous there, and I never realized she had freckles....