The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Camilla looks stunning.
I agree. I do like that gown and the tiara is the cat's meow!

Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla's tiara is gorgeous but looks way too large for her head, imo.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...he referred to Diana as "Princess Charles"
Though technically, he was right

Quote:
Camilla's tiara is gorgeous but looks way too large for her head, imo.
It's always looked too big for her head and the hairstyle doesn't help.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

His Palace of Westminster speech is certainly...interesting.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Though technically, he was right

It's always looked too big for her head and the hairstyle doesn't help.
Camilla will never change her hairstyle and it is a shame because she has a nice head of hair, imo.

Reagan actually called Diana "PRINCESS DAVID" which is even worse...it would have been technically correct to call her "Princess Charles" as you pointed out.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
His speech was fine. The band started playing before he finished, so that is why he continued speaking. And can we please not make generalizations about Americans.
Are you related to this guy? Anyway, Americans can generalize all they want about their fellow citizens.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Camilla will never change her hairstyle and it is a shame because she has a nice head of hair, imo.

Reagan actually called Diana "PRINCESS DAVID" which is even worse...it would have been technically correct to call her "Princess Charles" as you pointed out.
Yes, and then he corrected himself by saying "Princess DIANE"

Generalisations about Americans tend to be based in truth (even just a little bit), and I say that as a proud New Yorker. Plus, it's like a joke about a family member -- you can say it but if anyone outside of the family dared to jest that family member, you would be up in arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'm not currently able to see or hear it, what has he said?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Personally, I don't think there was much of a point for this visit, besides that Lil is rather fond of the Obama's and wanted them over for jam and tiara's. Which is totally fine with me!!! I've been wanting this state visit to take place since Obama won the election. I don't think there doing a very good job of shrugging off the "special" relationship title, as even the Queen referred to it in her speech. Faux pas or not, still loved the Speech and the ending bit. Some faux pas's turn out rather wonderful.
Funny post! You are probably right, but I also think HM wants to put paid to the ridiculous theory that the Obamas were somehow "snubbed" because they didn't get an invite to the Cambridge wedding.

So because she is a gracious, beautifully mannered woman from another era, she treats the American First Couple to a lavish State banquet and grants use of the luxurious Belgian Suite, an honor which is normally reserved for foreign Royal couples who are visiting.

All American Presidents should be "snubbed" like the Obamas were, imo.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
Wow, after watching Obama's speech I'm a little ashamed to call him my President. First he only addressed the Prime minister and other distinguished guests half way through the speech, the proper way would have been to start; "Your majesty, your highness', Mr. Prime Minister, distinguished guests, ladies and gentleman." Then because of his not so formal approach to a very formal speech the band started playing because he proposed his toast, then kept on talking, then instead of realizing his mistake he didn't respect the British National Anthem he just kept talking. Then in the middle of the national anthem goes and tries to toast with the Queen. What a shame!
Don't be ashamed. Actually if you think about it, it isn't his fault. Whoever wrote his speech (he was reading from cards I think) didn't write it in there so blame the blasted speech writer for making that HUGE faux pas at the start of his speech. For the rest... I blame his protocol person for not briefing him properly.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
Yes, and then he corrected himself by saying "Princess DIANE"

Generalisations about Americans tend to be based in truth (even just a little bit), and I say that as a proud New Yorker. Plus, it's like a joke about a family member -- you can say it but if anyone outside of the family dared to jest that family member, you would be up in arms.

I'm not currently able to see or hear it, what has he said?

LOL..."corrected" himself by saying "Princess Diane?!" Good ol' Ronnie!

And wasn't this the visit where a then sixty-something year old Nancy distinguished herself by wearing knickerbockers...fashions suitable for a woman many decades younger??

Ahh...those were the days...fun times.

I agree with your post 100% about generalizations for Americans, I feel free to criticize the President and his wife but get touchy if anyone else does it.

In fact, I think the Brits and other Europeans on these Forums are incredibly gracious to allow us to come here and say some not always very nice things about their Royal families.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
What do you mean?
Haven't heard the speech yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
I love the video of the VIP guests arriving and waiting in the ballroom for the banquet to arrive. Its on the BBC site....its must have been the first time for some of the attendees...they are just looking around in awe. I must admit...I would have done the same.
Is there a particular link?
I'd love to see the video.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

I thought we weren't allowed to discuss politics. Oh well, I thought everyone looked lovely at the banquet. Yes, there were some miss steps by my President. But I'm not by any means "ashamed" or embarrassed by some of the faux pas. Like when former President Bush said her majesty was born in the 1800's. It was a silly mistake and shouldn't be the basis if "shame".
Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

^ I agree. I initially thought the band had it wrong, but after reading later posts, I see that the faux pas was on Obama. So while he did make some mistakes, I'm not ashamed of him -just like I wasn’t ashamed of Bush when he made his mistakes during the Queen's visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Are you related to this guy?
Now that's a stupid question.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Imo, The Duchess of Cornwall yet again 'frumped' it up. That dress is entirely unworkable with her body shape and is too robust which weighs her down and indicates just how problematic and unflattering her hunched shoulders are. And the hair?!! I know it is never likely change but it damn well should and she always wears the same drab (however expensive) diamond necklace and earrings which are in themselves, a terrible design I think.

Anyone would think it would near kill her to 'live a little' and dare to wear other items of jewellery for a change.

Get a decent, more flattering and dare I suggest contemporary hairstyle, wear evening gowns that suit or work with your body shape and not against it and try outing one or two pieces of jewellery you have at your disposal.

For me, Camilla can become so incredibly predictable and stale at times.

Her day attire for the arrival and at Buckingham Palace was quite flattering and that hat is superbly fashioned for her height and build and really balances her out. She looked wonderful, but when night falls...
The fact i love with the DOC is that she'is pragmatical. She's not (and wasn't and will not be) some kind of fashion horse. Her look is always appropriate for the occasion, repetitive sometimes, dowdy time to time, elegant often and spectacular by chance.
I guessed without any doubt her outfit and jewels for the banquet. The same and practical Farrah do (forever and ever), same diamond demi parure (a gift from Charles, somptuous enough to figure in a state banquet), the last dress worn during an official event (the blue Bruce Odfield one last seen in Spain), her family order and her now signature tiara : the honeycomb. In final here we are: ready and appropriate to go to buck house for the american bash.
She's predictable because she obviously doesn't care about it. A shame for sure because she can often do so much better but it's her down to earth personnality and a great part of her charm
Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The speech for me personally was boring, it was the same old discussion about the friendship our two countries supposedly have, there was something about a White House fire and how we should always work closely together. When I heard about this visit - I presumed there would be at least some sign of something important being discussed between BO and DC but I think i'm wrong.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Serene Highness

Sorry but the honeycomb is far from what I would call a beautiful piece and that's me being nice! argh
Camila's dress is not that bad. it needed more structure, definitely. I prefer her in her tailored suits. :)
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness

Will there be another dinner tonight? when the King and Queen of Norway visited a few years ago, with the crown princely couple, there were 2 state dinners, the second one being led by the Duke and Duchess of G, being the senior royals.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
From a psychological standpoint, those photos of Kate and MO are very telling. Kate is making the classic gestures that say "I don't want to be here."
That was my impression as well. And it's understandible. The last thing William and Catherine want is upstage the queen and Charles but that would have happened if they were part of the whole spectacle including official welcome and State Banquet. So I guess they didn't want to be part of that visit at all. But as the guests insisted, they had to be there to become part of a kind of "promo"-pics of the Obamas with the new glamour couple of Royality.

You could see in some details that the BRF was not happy about the whole thing: the meeting took place in a lounge which obviously is meant to be sitten in, not standing in the middle of a seating arrangement. So the whole impression was that of a hasty conversation: no refreshments, no intimate atmosphere, none of them obviously at home there with Catherine clutching her handbag and the Obamas being the guests.

So for me the impression was that this talk was not wanted by the BRF but the queen couldn't deny it to her guests.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Obama made a lot of mistakes.
He raised his glass before the Queen and he spoke while the anthem was playing! How embarrassing..but the Queen took it well it seems. I thought she would say off with his head!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Did anyone know, if there will be a live broadcast from the tonight state dinner?