Old 11-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Royal Highness

It's live her too
Remembrance Sunday: Queen leads nation in tribute to the fallen - Telegraph

Old 11-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I thought it was very neatly done with the inclusion of the Dutch King.
Maxima stood on the balcony with the Duchess of Cambridge, Vice Admiral Laurence and the Countess of Wessex.
The King flanked Queen Elizabeth II with Philip the other side of her. The Queen, The King and Prince Philip laid their wreaths separately.
Then came William, Harry and Prince Andrew laying their wreaths together.
Then the Earl of Wessex, Princess Anne and the Duke of Kent laid their wreaths.

Then of course the politicians laid their wreaths, each party leader separately because of course they can't do the same as the RF and place them together to help make this element of the service quicker for those old veterans waiting in the cold to march... Anyway...

I wonder when we will be able to get some pictures.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
My thought is that since it's another countrys military engagement, that he's there as a neutral outsider insted of parading his military colours. But I might be wrong.
When he became King he was given an honourable discharged from the military, in the Netherlands the head of state can not be a serving member of the armed forces as the monarch is part of the government and it is the government as a whole which hold supreme command over the armed forces.

I remember seeing Willem Alexander in his uniform a lot when he was heir but can not remember seeing him in it since he became King, so its not just a case of him being overseas, he rarely wears it now in the Netherlands.

https://www.defensie.nl/english/late...h-armed-forces

When he takes to the throne on 30 April, the Prince of Orange will relinquish his active military status. He will be the first king since 1849 who has served in the military, and as such he will continue to demonstrate his pride in the Defence organisation, in words, actions and ceremony.

The Prince of Orange is currently a Commodore in the Royal Netherlands Navy and holds equivalent ranks in the other Services. Once he becomes head of state, however, he will no longer be allowed to hold an active military position. At his request, he will be honourably discharged before his investiture as King of the Netherlands.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Maxima stood on the balcony with the Duchess of Cambridge, Vice Admiral Laurence and the Countess of Wessex.
The King flanked Queen Elizabeth II with Philip the other side of her. The Queen, The King and Prince Philip laid their wreaths separately.

Then of course the politicians laid their wreaths, each party leader separately because of course they can't do the same as the RF and place them together to help make this element of the service quicker for those old veterans waiting in the cold to march... Anyway...
Yes, it was very neatly done and Jeremy Corbyn song the national anthem.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Mail online is good for pictures

Royals and senior politicians honour the fallen as wreaths are laid at the Cenotaph to mark Remembrance Sunday | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Serene Highness

Royals and senior politicians honour the fallen as wreaths are laid at the Cenotaph to mark Remembrance Sunday | Daily Mail Online

Some pictures in here
Old 11-08-2015, 07:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Exactly. I agree with it all! And a huge sigh on the politicians. Would it have hurt them to walk beside each other?
Old 11-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
When he became King he was given an honourable discharged from the military, in the Netherlands the head of state can not be a serving member of the armed forces as the monarch is part of the government and it is the government as a whole which hold supreme command over the armed forces.

I remember seeing Willem Alexander in his uniform a lot when he was heir but can not remember seeing him in it since he became King, so its not just a case of him being overseas, he rarely wears it now in the Netherlands.

https://www.defensie.nl/english/late...h-armed-forces

When he takes to the throne on 30 April, the Prince of Orange will relinquish his active military status. He will be the first king since 1849 who has served in the military, and as such he will continue to demonstrate his pride in the Defence organisation, in words, actions and ceremony.

The Prince of Orange is currently a Commodore in the Royal Netherlands Navy and holds equivalent ranks in the other Services. Once he becomes head of state, however, he will no longer be allowed to hold an active military position. At his request, he will be honourably discharged before his investiture as King of the Netherlands.
Ah, thank you very much, I did not know that! :)
Old 11-08-2015, 07:29 AM
Serene Highness

I guess it was a good thing that Charles and Camilla were in NZ and so Maxima could take Camilla's spot on the balcony otherwise somebody would have had to move elsewhere. Also I suspect that next year the same format will be used with the royals laying their wreaths in groups but with the Queen laying hers first, then Philip by himself then Charles by himself, then William Harry and Andrew in a group followed by Anne Edward and The Duke of Kent in a group.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Yes, it was very neatly done and Jeremy Corbyn song the national anthem.
but didn't bother to bow properly
Old 11-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Joe Little/Majesty @MajestyMagazine
The message on the wreath laid by King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands at the Cenotaph. #RemembranceSunday

https://twitter.com/MajestyMagazine/...17480635518976
Old 11-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Exactly. I agree with it all! And a huge sigh on the politicians. Would it have hurt them to walk beside each other?

It would've been a great touch to lay aside party politics for a few seconds and show they were there representing the people not their parties or even themselves. Would've been the same in Sweden - a kindergarten shows more maturity than the Riksdag these days... and then people question why I'm a royalist...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-08-2015, 07:37 AM
Serene Highness

If you watch everybody laying their wreaths, apart from the Queen, King of the Netherlands and Philip everybody else bar the politicians lay theirs in groups. The rest of the RF, heads of the military, the High Commissioners of Commonwealth countries. IMO it made the politicians looks what they are....petty and childish.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
It would've been a great touch to lay aside party politics for a few seconds and show they were there representing the people not their parties or even themselves. Would've been the same in Sweden - a kindergarten shows more maturity than the Riksdag these days... and then people question why I'm a royalist...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree. At moments like these they should just suck it up to be frank.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Joe Little/Majesty @MajestyMagazine
The Duke of Cambridge is now taking the salute at the march-past on Horse Guards. #RemembranceSunday

https://twitter.com/MajestyMagazine/...23020279324677
Old 11-08-2015, 08:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The Royal family at the Albert Hall |kapenot88 | ru_royalty

It is nice to see Prince and Princess Michael making an appearance alongside the royal family.
The Michaels of Kent always attend this event. I didn't see Princess Alexandra last night though.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
but didn't bother to bow properly
The fail have noticed it.

Corbyn's anti-war tribute: Labour leader to read Wilfred Owen poem 'Futility' at memorial after Cenotaph ceremony | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Serene Highness

Queen Maxima is the best dressed by a mile as I knew she would be. The hair and hat are immaculate.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

The King of the Netherlands has worn his uniforms regularly, also after his accession. (Here you see him in a naval uniform, here in an army uniform, etc.) However, King Olav V of Norway also never did attend in uniform, see picture. I think both King Olav (known as a lover of military wear) as well King Willem-Alexander choose to keep it a British (and Commonwealth) Remembrance indeed.

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day