The Battenberg - Mountbattens

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KikkiB

Nobility
City
Hometown
Country
Norway
I saw the film "Kate and Leopold" on tv this weekend, and got a bit of a shock. The male character, the Duke of Albany, Leopold (and he had a lot of other names as well) Mountbatten, had through a hole in the fabric of time as he put it, shifted from N.Y 1876 to contemporary N.Y.

So I reacted to the fact that this character had the last name of Mountbatten. Because Mountbatten is an anglification of the German Battenberg. And I know that the British Royal family had some names changing from German-sounding to English-sounding sometime in between the wars.

So my questions are, what is the history of the name Mountbatten? Is it likely that this character could have had this last name in 1876 in the USA? And what about the history of the family names of other royal families?

I've read somewhere that the Battenberg family living in UK during the First World War changed its name in Mountbatten to sound more English(and not German anymore)..It was between 1914 and 1918, so in 1876, the name was still Battenberg.

Since Mountbatten is a straight translation from the German which was done in the 20th century, it's quite possible that the surname didn't exist in English-speaking countries before 1917, when, in order to get rid of their German-sounding names, the royal family and its relations anglicised their names and in some cases (the princesses of Schleswig-Holstein) dropped them altogether (or at least stopped using them). Prince Louis of Battenberg became Louis Mountbatten (and the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha became the house of Windsor and the Duke of Teck became the Marquess of Cambridge).

Leopold Duke of Albany (in real life) was called Leopold George Duncan Albert, which is different from the string of names in the movie. He was born in 1853, and in 1882 he married Princess Helen of Waldeck (the sister of Queen Emma of the Netherlands). He died in 1884. So I suppose he'd have been adult and single in 1876. However, he wasn't a Battenberg, so the Mountbatten surname is a bit incongruous. He was a Saxe-Coburg-Gotha prince, as the son of Prince Albert, and so his anglicised name would have been Leopold Windsor. But there's Hollywood for you... :rolleyes:

ladybelline said:
I've read somewhere that the Battenberg family living in UK during the First World War changed its name in Mountbatten to sound more English(and not German anymore)..It was between 1914 and 1918, so in 1876, the name was still Battenberg.

Absolutely none of the Battenbergs were made dukes, nor were any of the Battenbergs children of a sovereign.

Elspeth said:
He was a Saxe-Coburg-Gotha prince, as the son of Prince Albert, and so his anglicised name would have been Leopold Windsor. But there's Hollywood for you... :rolleyes:

No, Saxe-Coburg-Gotha is already anglicized. The German form is Sachsen for Saxe.

The Name Battenberg comes from a small area in Hessen Germany.

1841 the young Marie of Hesse Darmstadt marries the Tsarevich Alexander of Russia, the later Alexander II. With her, she brings her brother Alexander of Hesse Darmstadt to Russia to comfort her in her new Home Country. Here Alexander falls in Love with Julia Haucke, Lady in Waiting to his Sister Marie.
Against the Wishes of the Russian imperial Family and his own he marries Julia Haucke morganatically on 28 October 1851. After this Julia is created from the Hessen Darmstadt Family to be a Countess of Battenberg and so be all her Descendants.

Alexander and Julia have 5 children:

1. Marie 1852 - 1923 ( married to the Count of Erbach)
2. Ludwig 1854 - 1921 ( married to Victoria of Hesse Darmstadt, the eldest Sister of the last Tsarina. They are the Parents of Alice of Battenberg and the famous Louis Battenberg, Georg and Luise)
3. Alexander 1857 - 1893 ( married to the actress Johanna Loisinger after a long courtingship for Victoria of Prussia- Bismarck had forbidden the match in the End)
4. Heinrich 1858 - 1896 ( married to Victorias I youngest daughter Beatrice and was the Father of 5 sons and Daughter Victoria Eugenie, the famous " Ena" of Spain)
5. Franz Joseph 1861 - 1924 ( married to Anna of Montenegro)

Here are some Pictures:

Attachments

• Julia Haucke 5.jpg
    Julia Haucke 5.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,724
  • henrybattenberg1858-3.jpg
    henrybattenberg1858-3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,558
  • M - alex2+maria.jpg
    M - alex2+maria.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,054
  • 1894 - Ella,Alix,Ducky,Irene,Victoria 1.jpg
    1894 - Ella,Alix,Ducky,Irene,Victoria 1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2,133
  • 1894 - Victoria 8.jpg
    1894 - Victoria 8.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 5,131
Last edited:
I remember watching the "Making of the film" and they actually had him down as a Windsor, but decided that it would be meet with some 'uncertainty", so they changed it to Mountbatten in the hope that the royal surname would still throw itself back to Victorian England.

Elspeth said:
Leopold Duke of Albany (in real life) was called Leopold George Duncan Albert, which is different from the string of names in the movie. He was born in 1853, and in 1882 he married Princess Helen of Waldeck (the sister of Queen Emma of the Netherlands). He died in 1884. So I suppose he'd have been adult and single in 1876. However, he wasn't a Battenberg, so the Mountbatten surname is a bit incongruous. He was a Saxe-Coburg-Gotha prince, as the son of Prince Albert, and so his anglicised name would have been Leopold Windsor. But there's Hollywood for you...

Robert Ebert mentioned the real Duke of Albany in his review of Kate & Leopold:I have here a precautionary message from Will Shank of Toronto, Ontario, who writes that before I review "Kate & Leopold" there are a couple of things I should know: "Prince Leopold, the duke of Albany, was a hemophiliac and, although he has been described as daring and high-spirited, would not have been foolish enough to participate in the dangerous stunts seen in the trailer. He was sickly all his life and his mother, Queen Victoria, expressed surprise that he lived long enough to be married and have a child. Also, Victoria and her children spoke German among themselves, not English. People who knew them related that when they did speak English, it was with a strong German accent." Thanks, Will. The next time I meet James Mangold, I'll ask him why he didn't make "Kate & Leopold" the story of a hemophiliac with a German accent who was afraid to jump off bridges. Sounds like a movie we are all waiting to see.
Full review here: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20011225/REVIEWS/112250304/1023

Lord Brabourne (of the Mountbatten clan) Has Died (1924-2005)

There's an article on the BBC website under "entertainment". I'm sorry, I couldn't figure out the proper way to type the link.

Brabourne was the husband of Countess Mountbatten of Burma, thus the son-in-law of "Uncle Dickie." He was the producer of movies like Murder onthe Orient Express, Death on the Nile, A Passage to India and Sink the Bismarck!

His son has succeeded him as Lord Brabourne.

I extend my sympathies to the Mountbatten and Brabourne families.

Norton and Penelope are now Lord and Lady Brabourne.

It should also be noted that he was a moving force behind the idea of making the first movie of the Royals to be shown. The movie was shown in 1969 at the time of Charles' investiture as Prince of Wales.

Last edited:
He had a long and productive life. My sympathies to the families at their loss.:(

My symphathy goes to his wife and his family. :(

oh my god, i knew he passed away (from a forum about detective novels) but not knowing his royal links. he'd made great movies in his life. my sympathy to his family.

It's really sad hearing that news.My sympathies go for his wife and the family.Let's pray for him, and wish rest him in peace.And information for his funeral:
"Lord brabourne's funeral will be held on 30th September at 3pm at the Mersham church in Ashford. A Thanksgiving service to be held later"

Last edited:
The Mountbattens

ola, i dont know if im suppose to post it here, so if its not, im sorry,....im new with these forum things hahaha and i dont know.... anyway...does anyone knows anything about the mountbatens???
lady penny mountbatten and lord montbatten???
Alexandra and Nicholas knatchbull???
Im in love with Nicholas Knatchbull, hahahaha, but we dont get to know much about them...:( thats sad, coz hes so gorgeusand alex too...
Anyway if somebody knows anything about the familly especially about Nick, that would be great, wher can i get news from them , or pics...
coz its so hard to find anything about them, so i´d be very happy :)
Anyway, see ya guys, sorry bout the long posting, and sorry about the bad english, see ya!!! ;)

Actually he would be not a step-uncle. His mother, Princess Andrew of Greece, was Queen Louise's sister. She was step-mother to the late Queen Ingrid of Denmark and to current King of Sweden's grandfather.

If anything he would have been a step-first-cousin to those two...if that is really a correct term of endearment.

Nicholas Natchbull was in trouble in the late 1990's for drug use and was involved in a car accident.

Nicky wasn't in a car accident. His car was stopped for speeding and they found drugs in the car.

Lady Marmalade said:
Actually he would be not a step-uncle. His mother, Princess Andrew of Greece, was Queen Louise's sister. She was step-mother to the late Queen Ingrid of Denmark and to current King of Sweden's grandfather.

If anything he would have been a step-first-cousin to those two...if that is really a correct term of endearment.

Nicholas Natchbull was in trouble in the late 1990's for drug use and was involved in a car accident.
Louise was married to Carl-Gustaf's grandfather and she was the stepmother of Carl-Gustaf's father as well as Queen Ingrid.

I think I understand the family tree, I just don't quite know how you operate these first and second cousin expressions. In my mind, since Philip is one generation older than Carl Gustaf, he belongs to the uncle-generation and since Louise was a stepmother it makes Philip a stepuncle. If that expression even exists :rolleyes: They can't ''step-'' forever, can they ??

Also, Julia von Haucke was eventually granted the title of HSH Princess Battenberg by the Grand Duke of Hesse. Her children were all Serene Highnesses and Prince/Princess Battenberg as a result.

Well, it seems like the much-told Mountbatten/Battenberg history has been hashed out. Is there any news about this always-fascinating family?
Last I read of them, it was during the time of a major anniverary for the death of the late Earl and poor little Nicky Knatchbull. In the summer of 2004, it was 25 years. I think there was a statue dedicated to Nicholas at his school, right? Norton and Nicholas and Alexandra attended, and Prince Charles gave a speech.

There was a TV programme recently on the Queen and Countess Mountbatten and Lady Pamela Hicks spoke about their father's murder which was extremely moving. One thing amazed me though. Countess Mountbatten said, "These things just happen to people and so we picked ourselves up and carried on as one has to do". I've seen an interview with Princess Alice where she spoke about Prince William's death and her husband's death a few years later. She said, "These things happen to other people and they carry on, so why shouldn't we? What else can one do?". It seems that this way of handling upset within the family has been extended to whole Royal Family, in the way that the Queen coped with both Diana's death and her mother's death. Also it's evident in the way Princess Marina coped with the Duke of Kent's death. I just find it so strange and I wonder where it stems from.

What else do you do when something tragic happens. You put one foot in front of the other and continue on. That's life.

True. And it's something I've always done. But it's just such a no-nonsense way of dealing with things that I find inspirational but also sad.

It's also a very healthy way of dealing with things. It doesn't mean, of course, that one forgets the person who is gone.

kelly9480 said:
Nicky wasn't in a car accident. His car was stopped for speeding and they found drugs in the car.

I did not mean accident where someone was hurt. I meant the type of car accident where he was swerving and did cause some minor damage to the car.

Back
Top Bottom