The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Didn't the author of that book have to sign a confidentiality agreement, or has the royal family given up on trying to enforce them?

Old 08-06-2006, 07:00 AM

Well, I believe that they don't mind the older, longer serving members writing books that are positive in their outlook. A little leak can be a very helpful thing at times and if this book is affectionate towards them all and doesn't say anything rotten then there probably won't be a problem with it. Guy Hunting wrote his book about Royal service and it was quite sweet and Prince Charles even attended the book launch so it seems it depends on the content and the author.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

I'm glad you liked it Bella and Romy
Today I have a family portrait I really love. It was taken in 1990 and the Queen Mother used it as her christmas card. You can see four generations, including new born Eugenie, on this pic and it's quite rare in my eyes..

(Majesty)
Old 08-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Serene Highness

This is indeed a great picture. And yet another rare one. Thanks Iceflower for all these treasures you find. I think they all look fabulous. Andrew is so cute! I can't believe how tiny Eugenie is, and to think now she's a teenager! How time flies. Thanks again, Iceflower!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:17 PM

A lovely story I discovered surfing the BBC site. This told by the old Bishop of Manchester.

"I was sitting next to her at a dinner at Sandringham, and the tradition was that after dinner we would all watch a film of the Duke of Edinburgh's choosing. She turned to me and said she didn't fancy the film and was going to watch Dad's Army instead and would I like to join her. We ended up watching three videos, just her and me, and it was great fun."
Old 08-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well, I believe that they don't mind the older, longer serving members writing books that are positive in their outlook. A little leak can be a very helpful thing at times and if this book is affectionate towards them all and doesn't say anything rotten then there probably won't be a problem with it. Guy Hunting wrote his book about Royal service and it was quite sweet and Prince Charles even attended the book launch so it seems it depends on the content and the author.
Actually I just read in one of Penny Junor's books that until some of the tell-all stuff about Charles and Diana started hitting the bookshops, confidentiality agreements expired when the royals concerned died. It's only recently that they've closed that loophole. So if that's true, it means that long-term employees of the Queen Mother who signed their agreements many years ago might be free to write about her now.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Was Queen Mother an abused wife?

I came across some references to a recent article claiming that George VI physically abused his wife. While there was probably some idealization of their relationship, I think this scenario is pretty unlikely (I don't think Elizabeth would have tolerated this).

Has anyone else seen this article, and what do you think about this interpretation of their relationship?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Do you remember where you saw the references?

Conventional wisdom is that she was the stronger (mentally and emotionally, at any rate) partner, but I suppose when it's known that George VI was prone to rages, it's a short step to claims of abuse.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:23 PM

There is a documentary on Channel 4 next week which is going to suggest that the Queen Mother's marriage wasn't that happy and that she hated Wallis Simpson because she got the Prince she wanted. Personally, I don't think that is the case. I could understand George VI having a short temper - thrown into a job he was never prepared to and coping with a speech impediment that would frustrate anyone. But I doubt he abused the Queen Mother at all.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Aristocracy

I suppose it's likely, but I think Queen Elizabeth could have squashed the King like a bug.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I was over at Glittering Royal Events and they had quite a discussion about it. The web address I had was www.members3.boardhost.com/Warholm/msg/1163855771.html

They were expecting ITV to do a program about the whole old story of how Elizabeth married Bertie (and seemed to have a crush on David), the ill-will between Elizabeth and Wallis, etc. The Daily Mail is the one that ran the article on November 18. Since I'm over here, I don't know much about The Daily Mail so I can't judge the likelihood of it being a well-researched story.

I do know about GVI's temper tantrums and the allegations that he had an alcohol problem... but my gut instinct is that Elizabeth didn't suffer from a lack of confidence or intimidation, and I think she would have left her husband had she felt mistreated. I think she was raised in such an aristocratic family that, like Diana, she would not have been overawed by the Windsors. (And yes, my impression has always been that she was the stronger personality in that couple.)
Old 11-21-2006, 06:50 PM

The Daily Mail aren't that reputable. As you say, the Queen Mother wasn't timid or nervous. If he was violent, I'm sure she would have given as good as she got.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Aristocracy

My understanding is that the story about King George VI physically abusing his wife appeared in a book by Lady Colin Campbell - the name of which escapes me at present. Lady Campbell has not always been well regarded as an accurate historian. It would be interesting to find out what her sources were for this story. If none are quoted, I would treat the whole thing with scepticism.

As has been said, George's consort was regarded as a very strong character indeed and it's been claimed by several authors that she was the dominant partner in the marriage, although Bertie (George VI) was known to have been a heavy drinker and to have had an explosive temper. I really can't see this as having been an abusive marriage. The two seemed devoted to each other.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 PM

The thing about Lady Colin is that she tends to write her books from interviews and snippets she's heard or been told by those in the know. It's very much a James Whittaker situation where you choose whether you believe her or not.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Commoner

Neither do I! From what I've read, they were very loving toward each other and toward their children.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I'd like to play the devil's advocate here, for all I know, Lady Colin Campbell could be making the abuse stories up from an overactive imagination, but it has happened that the person who outwardly appears the strongest can be abused.

Sometimes women who subject themselves to abuse think in some way they are protecting their husbands against themselves or protecting their children from abuse by absorbing their husbands' rage themselves.

I have no way of knowing whether this is true of the Queen Mother and the King but just pointing out a possible scenario. I'd want a better source than the Daily Mail and Lady Colin Campbell to believe in it though.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 11-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Courtier

I've heard and read all of my life that poor King George VI drank and smoked to excess and was bad tempered, but given his speech problems, I guess that it's understandable if the pressure of his position got to him. However, this is a long way from accusing him of being an abusive husband. The Queen Mum was a strong, determined woman, and I really don't believe that she'd have accepted this for one minute. We all know that the Duke had to propose to her three times before she accepted him and I believe that she had the 'upper hand' in their relationship. As for her dislike of the Duchess of Windsor, I do believe that it may well have been jealousy, the Queen Mum wanting to marry the then Prince of Wales herself. Still, the only people who really know the truth of any of this will never tell.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm reading Hugo Vickers' biography "Elizabeth, The Queen Mother" at the moment. I'm about 90% through it. The author seems objective, and it is a very thoroughly researched book, with all the quotes and footnotes and references anyone could ask for. It's all still fairly fresh in my mind and I don't recall reading any whiff of a hint of a suggestion that Bertie was violent towards Elizabeth. I certainly don't believe she was an abused wife. She wouldn't have tolerated it!
Old 11-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Serene Highness

Bertie was also physically weak (he had an abusive governess in his youth) so it seems highly unlikely he physically abused Elizabeth, especially given her strong character.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Nobility

By all accounts The King had a short temper ,a stammer and was nervous and uptight and all was made wrse by a job he didn't want- to be king.Only his wife got him through it she was the thougher of the two I really can't see her being an abused wife.I think he leaned heavily he and his brothers all had difficult childhoods and had their share of insucurites especially the King and the Duke of Windsor.I'm not sure about how their sister Mary coped.

Tags
queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother