The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2016, 11:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wikipedia mentions that Elizabeth's godmothers were Lady Maud Bowes-Lyon and Venetia James. Who were the godfathers?

The godmothers of Lady Elizabeth:
Lady Maud Bowes-Lyon was the sister of Claude, 14th Earl of Strathmore.
Venetia James was the second cousin of Cecilia, Countess of Strathmore.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think any godfathers have ever been named, which is slightly odd, but not entirely unexpected. After all, nobody expected this baby to be anything in life but an aristocratic wife and mother in her turn. The actual christening of this ninth child of a Scottish Peer seems to have been a muddle, according to some accounts. Apparently the vicar, the Rev. Henry Valentine, made a bit of a hash of it.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't think any godfathers have ever been named, which is slightly odd, but not entirely unexpected. After all, nobody expected this baby to be anything in life but an aristocratic wife and mother in her turn. The actual christening of this ninth child of a Scottish Peer seems to have been a muddle, according to some accounts. Apparently the vicar, the Rev. Henry Valentine, made a bit of a hash of it.
How did the Reverend Henry Valentine make a bit of a hash of Elizabeth's christening?
Old 05-18-2016, 01:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Lady Colin Campbell asserted so, though she is very untrustworthy as an author. However, all but two of Elizabeth's godparents forgot to sign the christening certificate.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Touching letters from the Queen Mother to wounded soldier she nursed go on auction | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 07-24-2016, 03:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Mother prevented from 1950s Latin American tour due to tensions in Falklands | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

How far in advance had the royal visit to Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay been planned?
Old 08-06-2016, 09:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She was an impressionable 16-year-old, anxious to help the young men who had endured the horrors of war and were sent to her Scottish castle home to recuperate.

But for Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, later to become Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, one brave young man in particular stood out among the many being treated at Glamis Castle.

A series of six letters being put up for auction has now revealed the teenage crush which Lady Elizabeth appears to have developed over a young Private called James Harding.

The pair exchanged correspondence after meeting at Glamis, where Lady Elizabeth was in the habit of touring the makeshift ward, talking to soldiers, writing letters home on their behalf and running them errands – such as buying Woodbine cigarettes and matches for them at the village shop
Read more: Poignant letters reveal young Queen Mother's friendship with wounded WW1 soldier
Old 08-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
A lot about the birth of Elizabeth seems to be a muddle, along with when it actually took place and how long it took to register. Also rumours that there was a twin which is completely up in the air!!

Who knows is long gone!
Old 08-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
A lot about the birth of Elizabeth seems to be a muddle, along with when it actually took place and how long it took to register. Also rumours that there was a twin which is completely up in the air!!

Who knows is long gone!
Dee Anna, Thank you for the declaration that Lady Elizabeth might have had a twin. This is the first time I had learned about this rumor.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post

Who knows is long gone!
I've never heard of this. what is the source of the story? I think it si possible that she had godfathers, I'm sure she had but perhaps they just weren't registered on the certificate?
Old 08-20-2016, 11:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen Mother had a valuable collection of paintings. These included Manets and Sisleys. Did she give her paintings over to the Crown?
Old 08-20-2016, 11:23 PM
Majesty

She left everything to her daughter (the Crown) so, just like all the pretty sparklers, the magical art remains with the crown. It is possible that many pieces of art came from the royal collection in the first place.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Her daughter and 'the crown' are not the same. There are things the queen owns privately, like jewels given as a gift. These are hers to dispose of as sees fit. Unlike things like the main tiaras or royal collection. Then their are crown owned, which she owns, but pass with the crown. It depends how her mum left them, she likely left them simply as personal goods. That isn't to say they aren't likely in the royal collection to stay. Any pieces George and his wife bought were private possesions, and unless gifted to the crown, would remain so.

Think of Sandringham and Balmoral. George VI had to buy them, as the ownership didn't simply pass with the crown.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Royal Highness

Old 10-03-2016, 10:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Her daughter and 'the crown' are not the same. There are things the queen owns privately, like jewels given as a gift. These are hers to dispose of as sees fit. Unlike things like the main tiaras or royal collection. Then their are crown owned, which she owns, but pass with the crown. It depends how her mum left them, she likely left them simply as personal goods. That isn't to say they aren't likely in the royal collection to stay. Any pieces George and his wife bought were private possesions, and unless gifted to the crown, would remain so.

Think of Sandringham and Balmoral. George VI had to buy them, as the ownership didn't simply pass with the crown.
I knew it involved a "sovereign to sovereign" inheritance but the actual mechanics of this are vague. The BBC article offers a little insight into how it actually did work in this case.

BBC News | UK | Queen inherits Queen Mother's estate
Old 10-03-2016, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent

An interesting article, Marg, thanks for posting it. Castle Mey, in Scotland, which was a 100% private purchase in the Queen Mother's widowhood, was of course another kettle of fish! Imo the sale of Sandringham and Balmoral in the 1930's was simply a case in point of the absolute and utter selfishness of the Duke of Windsor, who hid the extent of his wealth from the Royal family lawyers.

There's certainly a grey area with gifts though, for instance was a purchase of a tiara by King George VI in 1936 a gift to a deeply loved wife or because as a future Queen Consort it was needed for 'official' functions? Queen Mary was still alive then and using much of the BRF jewellery I'm sure.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 AM
Serene Highness

Gifts are not a grey area. Official gifts belongs to Royal Collections, privat gifts belongs to royals.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

The sovereign to sovereign transfer isn't vague. A sovereign can pass items to the next sovereign tax free. The consort of a sovereign can also pass items to a sovereign tax free. The Queen was able to inherit Sandringham and Balmoral as examples tax free. She also inherited stuff from her mother and grandmother who as consorts the inheritance was tax free.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
An interesting article, Marg, thanks for posting it. Castle Mey, in Scotland, which was a 100% private purchase in the Queen Mother's widowhood, was of course another kettle of fish! Imo the sale of Sandringham and Balmoral in the 1930's was simply a case in point of the absolute and utter selfishness of the Duke of Windsor, who hid the extent of his wealth from the Royal family lawyers.
In 1996, the Queen Mother generously gifted the Castle of Mey with an endowment to the Castle of Mey Trust which is now listed as the official owners of that estate.

I remember reading in quite a few places that George VI had to buy Sandringham and Balmoral from his brother as those estates passed to the Duke of Windsor upon the death of his father George V. As it is a known fact that these properties were to transfer monarch to monarch, I agree with you that David was quite greedy and selfish. He should have just turned the properties over to the monarch.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon

Tags
queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother