Palace Huis Ten Bosch, The Hague

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tina

Courtier
City
Irgendwo im Nirgendwo
Country
Germany
Paleis Huis ten Bosch - Den Haag

Attachments

• Paleis_Huis_ten_Bosch.JPG
    Paleis_Huis_ten_Bosch.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,721
Some images of the Oranjezaal (Orange Hall) in Palace Huis ten Bosch. Princess Amalia had this hall made to honour her husband, stadholder Frederik-Hendrik ;de stededwinger' (cityforcer? as he reconquered some dutch cities from the spanish). You can spot him in the carriage, with the Orange cloth around him. Amalia and her daughters are looking from the side. Countess Luana was baptised here.

1st pic: iso-socrates.berkeley.edu
2nd pic: iso-socrates.berkeley.edu
3rd pic: digischool.nl
4th pic: ANP

oranjezaal2.jpg

oranjezaal3.jpg

oranjezaal4.jpg

941200.jpg

Last edited:
The palace wasn't really used before Beatrix lived there. Juliana used it on some occassions, but not to often. Wilhelmina used it from time to time, not to often either and only Queen Sophie (1st wife of King Willem III) actually used it as her main residence.

----

After the war the trees were gone:

3800208.jpg
893430.jpg

1866012.jpg
1866013.jpg

And it opened for public:

5570640.jpg

Last edited:
Chinese Room (ANP):

The dark fllor was before the renovation and the patterened floor as it has been since 1984

1842986.jpg
1842984.jpg
937407.jpg
937156.jpg

Japanese Room (ANP):

941194.jpg
2106830.jpg

Hall:

2466409.jpg

Last edited:
Miniature versions of the palace ;):

7862696.jpg
999000.jpg
999001.jpg
943732.jpg

A map:

2106839.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now on to palace Huis ten Bosch. The palace where the Queen now lives. Pictures again provided by Thijs on the Alexanderpalace forum.

First the Orange Hall:

huis2.jpg

Detailed view with stadholder Frederik-Hendrik in the carriage. The Hall was created by his wife, Princess AMaalia to honour him when she was already widowed:

huis3.jpg

Ready for dinner:

huwelijkMargriet10-01-67diner.jpg

huis11.jpg

ANd an old drawing to celebrate Mary II, wife off STadholder/King Willem/William III

huis4.jpg

Last edited:
The green salon:

huis6.jpg

. In the back a paining of the future King Willem I, his sister Duchess Louise of Brunswick and their brother Prince Frederik:

2106832.jpg
941195.jpg

Small dining room:

huis1.jpg

Pictures again provided by Thijs on the Alexander Palace forum and ANP.

Last edited:
The Japanese salon, a present to Princess Wilhelmina of Orange, nee Princess of Prussia (wife of Stadholder Willem V and mother to King Willem I) by a merchant:

huis5.jpg

The white salon:

huis8.jpg

The staircase (on the leftside of the door there is a simular one):

huis14entrance.jpg

pictures provided by Thijs at the Alxander Palace forum,

The White dining room:

huis9whitedining.jpg

The ballroom:

huis10ball.jpg

Queen Sophie's porcelain cabinet:

huis15porcelaincabsophie.jpg

pictures provided by Thijs at the Alxander Palace forum,

Two paintings of the palace around 1750, again provided by Thijs on the Alexander Palace forum.

Front view:

huis13_1750.jpg

Back view:

huis12_1750.jpg

From ANP:

The 'Haagsche salon'

941199.jpg
937261.jpg

More of the Haagsche salon and the Biljart room:
1842985.jpg
938604.jpg

The van der Aa salon:

1842983.jpg
937427.jpg

The White salon:

1842987.jpg
941198.jpg

Dining room & ball room:

1842982.jpg
941201-1.jpg

Last edited:
You can take a virtual tour of the palace, look here.

Wikipedia page here.

Last edited:
On 26 March the city counsil of The Hague will vote about new plans for the enlargement of Huis ten Bosch Palace. The enlargements will be 'conserving' the original palace etc. And the three guests/staff buildings will be built on a spot close to the present guest building.

I am sure they will miss her house, much more private for the kids!

The location Huis ten Bosch is also quite privatate. From the Rijksstraatweg (a busy road between Leiden and The Hague) you can only see the roof top of the backside of the palace in autumn and winter, when the trees lost their leafs. The entry roads are connected to more quiet streets with hardly any view of the palace too.

The park around the palace must be slightly smaller than the private part of the Eikenhorst, but it is large enough. The main difference must be that there will be much more rooms for representation & staff. The private part will be the entire 'Wassenaarse vleugel' , the wing on the right.

Marengo what a treaure you are for posting these wonderful pics. I thank you they are wonderful.

I believe that the English translation of Huis ten Bosch is the "House in the Woods",so I'm sure it will be private enough.

Any news on a date fe when the king and queen will move in? Not that they want to be seen to kick princess Beatrix out but as it's the next big thing for them and the girls I imagine in a way they want to get it over with and settle down

Piet Oudolf will make a new plan for the layout of the gardens of Huis ten Bosch. mr. Oudolf is one of the best in his line of business and created among other things the Gardens of Remembrance in New York.

Royalty Online

I wonder if much will be changed, for now the park is mainly in the English style. I wonder if they try to reconstruct some elements of the park as it was when it was built in the 17th century.

Aerial view of the gardens:

http://www.paulvermast.nl/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/paleis-huis-ten-bosch.JPG

I would like a restoration of the 17th C gardens but then why this landcsape architect whom uses to create new lay-outs rather than restoring old gardens? I am amazed about the amount. It is a private palace, only for the King and his family. Now it is a lush, green and secluded garden. I wonder where is the need for such an extensive change?

:ermm:

But... looking at this picture... yes... a baroque garden in front of the palace would help: http://images.memorix.nl/rce/thumb/1200x1200/39cfac64-bf85-dcec-6c67-9607780d33ed.jpg

The old garden was completely destroyed because in WWII the Germans used the palace park as a base to launch V1 and V2 missiles to England. The present front garden was a provisoric one but is now there for 60 years...

I am not sure if the money is only spend on the garden, it must also include the refurbishment of the private quarters and perhaps a few other updates.

Queen Beatrix, known as a perfectioniste pur sang, started her Reign with extensively restored palaces. During her Reign all palaces were kept very well maintenanced to the highest standards. Sometimes even additional (and very expensive) restorations were done, like the magnificent Oranjesael in Huis ten Bosch Palace. Also buildings as the Royal Mews in The Hague, the building of the Royal House Archives and Fagel's Dome (a garden pavillion in the park of Noordeinde) were restored into perfection.

The Royal Palace Amsterdam was in scaffoldings for a long time for a major restoration which brought back the old palace in old and new royal splendour. Het Loo Palace, once the summer residence of the Orange-Nassaus, was completely brought back into 17th C state, it required demolishing of later added floors and annexes. The English landscape park was completely returned into one of the world's most beautiful baroque gardens.

And now this major renovation of Huis ten Bosch Palace again... Having been at the the Palais Royal in Brussels, Buckingham Palace in London and the Palacio Real in Madrid, really.... the Orange-Nassaus have the luck that the Dutch Government is so generous by once again updating the already spic-and-span looking palacesto the wishes of His Majesty...

The Belgians can only dream of it. I can already hear the nagging in the hostile Belgian media. The Nassaus in Luxembourg however can enjoy the pleasure of having perfectly maintenanced and restored palaces as well, like their Orange-Nassau cousins. I have never been at the palais grand-ducal in Luxembourg, but what I saw from it around the wedding of Guillaume looked perfect.

Last edited:
:previous:

I wish the Dutch government would help us out over here with Buckingham Palace!

I like the starkness of the approach to the palace. It looks formidable, as it should.

At Het Loo Palace there was an English landscape garden as well, like now at Huis ten Bosch Palace. The palace was also plastered in white and during centuries changed with extra floors and annexes. In the 1970's and 1980's the palace was brought back into 17th C state.

Before: http://resources21.kb.nl/gvn/SFA03/SFA03_SFA022820253_X.jpg

After: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000LjIaOgQxRUU/s/900/900/SMS-20110630-099-A3.jpg

Huis ten Bosch Palace had a baroque garden as well.

This is the original lay-out: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...osch.jpg/800px-Tuinontwerp_Huis_ten_Bosch.jpg

This was right after WWII - the whole park destroyed by the Germans, for their V1 and V2 missile launchers: http://www.anp-archief.nl/attachment/240631

This was some 35 years ago: clearly an English landscape garden: http://www.anp-archief.nl/attachment/2257878

This was last year: a helicopter lands near Huis ten Bosch Palace, see how green it has become: http://media.nu.nl/m/m1mzxc1a4seb.jpg

Yesterday, Prinsjesdag, saw not only the annual ceremonial assembly of both Chambers of Parliament, it was also the day that the State Budget 2014 was presented. Remarkable in that budget were the quite large amounts which were reserved for the renovation of three royal residences. The amounts are surprising given the fact that under Queen Beatrix all palaces have been brought into tip-top state and were well maintenanced.

Huis ten Bosch Palace will be renovated for € 35 million (appr. US $ 45 million). The State Housing Agency informed that the technical installations (electricity, water, fire prevention, security, etc.) need an uopdate. Major maintenance is also needed for the roofs and the "inner work". Queen Beatrix started to use Huis ten Bosch Palace in 1982. Since then the building has not had major maintenance, according the State Housing Agency. Inspection has also learned that there is asbestos in the palace, which needs to be removed. The Asbestos Report is secret. The State Housing Agency refuses to give insight because the detailed description would also give information which affects the security of the King. There is no public call for bids for these works: also that would affect the security of the King. The works will be done by "selected firms".

Because the King can not use Huis ten Bosch Palace as long as the renovations are under way, he will continue to use his private villa De Eikenhorst. Temporary units will be placed in the park of this villa, to house the particulier secretariate of the King.

Noordeinde Palace, the official residence of the King, will also see a renovation. The staff restaurant will be modernized for € 8 million (apr. US $ 10,5 million).

Noordeinde 66, which is neighbouring and connected to the Noordeinde Palace complex, is renovated to serve as a pied-à-terre for Princess Beatrix. Last year the State informed that the renovation would cost € 900.000,-- (appr. US $ 1,165,000.--). Now it emerges that the costs for that renovation were considerably higher. For this The Hague-residence of Princess Beatrix the prize tag for the renovation is now € 3.25 million (appr. US $ 4,20 million).

The State Housing Agency stressed that with or without royal use, these builings (Grade A listed monuments) need the maintenance and that the costs are largely independent from the move of the new royal family into Huis ten Bosch Palace and the other residences.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom