A Swedish Royal Christmas (Traditions, Christmas Cards, Photo Sessions)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would be great, an individual Christmas greeting by the families apart. Something for everyone.

I was eager to see what this gorgeous family would be up to this year, and now I've go my treat! Estelle is a charming little girl and I can't wait to see the new baby soon!

This is all very promising though, I hope they will also release a new family photo like the one they did last year. That one was very nice.

They are baking tunnbröd. A quite thin bread (you can see that Estelle is having problems with the thin bread doe) usually made of rye grain. It's still common that people in the contryside (like where I grew up) bake their own bread in the villages bakers cottage.

Christmas greeting from the crown princess couple and princess Estelle, video and photos. Done at Bagarstugan at Skansen.
En julhälsning från Kronprinsessparet och Prinsessan Estelle - Sveriges Kungahus

HQ photos can be downloaded from here
]Pressbilder Kronprinsessparet - Sveriges Kungahus

The video at court Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVCvDpduk0c

It was quite clear that they would publish the greeting today, because today there are no work events at the calendar. Wonderful greeting on this year too! I love that Estelle is so brisk and energetic.

A beautiful video :flowers: What a nice idea to make a video and not just publish a photo. The Estelle adorable with energy do it everything.

I was eagerly waiting for this year video! It's soo cute!

Aw, what an adorable video! Estelle is so precious. She seemed to enjoy breaking the bread.

Can any of our Swedish speaking members translate what was being said by the family in the video (or at least give a rough guide)? I unfortunately don't understand or speak much Swedish so am curious.

They are baking tunnbröd. A quite thin bread (you can see that Estelle is having problems with the thin bread doe) usually made of rye grain. It's still common that people in the contryside (like where I grew up) bake their own bread in the villages bakers cottage.

Thank you for sharing this info, it was interesting to read. :flowers:

The video is so sweet. Estelle is a little star, so comfortable and poised in front of the camera.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I did not lose count at all. Theoretically there are 3 royal grandchildren, but in practice Estelle is the only one to do this. Would you see Princess Leonore in such a video? Or Prince Nicolas in the future? Or them both? I don't think Princess Madeleine and Christopher would be very eager to do it like that.
Carl Philip and Sofia are, in position, closer to Victoria and Daniel than Madeleine and Christopher so there might be a chance that they will also start a tradition and that will cause the alternation.
Not saying it will happen, just that I think it would be nice.

This is the Crown Princess family and Estelle and her new sibling are in a special category from the other children. It is important that the Crown Princess and the next heir is featured prominently to keep the Royal family and future regents in peoples minds.

Can any of our Swedish speaking members translate what was being said by the family in the video (or at least give a rough guide)? I unfortunately don't understand or speak much Swedish so am curious.

Victoria is joking that it is finally snowing when she shakes the flour over the table and Estelle.
Daniel is a bit worried if his bread will become good.
Estelle says: Daddy, I think it is very cozy/snugly (mysigt)
Daniel says: Yes, it is cozy. I agree with you.
Victoria helps Estelle because her dough gets stuck.
The woman asks Victoria if she needs any help and Victoria shows her a piece of Estelle's dough that needs to be taken care of.
Estelle turns to the cameras and wishes everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Daniel then asks Estelle if she wants to bake some more, and Estelle wants that very much.

Last edited:
Estelle is so adorable- and seems well adjusted and very loved. I like this little family so much and can't wait to see pictures of their new addition in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Thanks for the translation but there is no need to translate the wonderful love and joy surrounding that little family. Estelle is so confident her parents have done a superb job in raising her. Can't wait for the new baby

This is the Crown Princess family and Estelle and her new sibling are in a special category from the other children. It is important that the Crown Princess and the next heir is featured prominently to keep the Royal family and future regents in peoples minds.

The first I am perfectly aware of. The second I disagree because people truly won't forget who the future regents will be, would a case of a little less prominent featuring ever occur. People aren't that oblivious.
I realize I am in the major minority, but that field's also gotta be filled. It makes for a good dispersion.

Victoria is joking that it is finally snowing when she shakes the flour over the table and Estelle.
Daniel is a bit worried if his bread will become good.
Estelle says: Daddy, I think it is very cozy/snugly (mysigt)
Daniel says: Yes, it is cozy. I agree with you.
Victoria helps Estelle because her dough gets stuck.
The woman asks Victoria if she needs any help and Victoria shows her a piece of Estelle's dough that needs to be taken care of.
Estelle turns to the cameras and wishes everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Daniel then asks Estelle if she wants to bake some more, and Estelle wants that very much.

Thank you very much for the translation! :flowers:
Victoria and her family are so warm and down to earth, it's lovely to see. And it will be wonderful next Christmas as we will get to see Victoria's second child too; it will be so adorable to see the interactions between Estelle and her younger sibling.
It is also nice that Estelle gets to experience things that other Swedish children would, despite her position in society. But it seems that most modern royal parents want their children to have the most normal life as possible. It's good that they are being introduced to more normal experiences and don't have an "exclusively royal life" anymore like royal children did in the past.

Last edited:
Thanks for the translation, LadyFinn. :flowers: The video is lovely even without knowing what they are saying, because the warmth and closeness of their little family is obvious. I love these Christmas videos they release.

At first I thought they were making pizzas. I reckon that oven would do the job nicely. (And now I want a pizza for lunch.)

:xmastree:

From PurePeople, with some screenshots from the video
Estelle de Suède_ Adorable boulangère de Noël avec ses commis Victoria et Daniel

Carl Philip and Sofia arrived to "Jul i Vasastan" (Christmas in Vasastan) -concert at the Gustaf Vasa Church. They attended at this concert also last year, then there was collected money for Project Playground. But obviously this year they attend because their friend singer Molly Sandén is one of the performers, like last year too. The others are tenor Fredrik Benedict Nybladh and violinist Linda Lampenius, who both have performed at the charity events for Project Playground, like Molly Sandén.
APA-Picturedesk

There was also Gladys del Pilar, who has also performed at the events of Project Playground.
https://www.instagram.com/p/_kUYfgP8lc/?taken-by=kungahuset

Prinsparet bjöd på sig själva på årlig julgala _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Last edited by a moderator:
Estelle is so adorable in that video. I cant wait to see the newest member. She is going to be an amazing big sister.

The Solliden Palace wishes Merry Christmas and Happy New Year at their Facebook
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=83265ae7fc4cd05cdae1279661ee7a61&oe=571D7898

Madeleine posted this photo to her Facebook
Leonore is getting ready for Christmas in her moms old dress!
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=383aa978331ac3d9cba6d74acb713ed5&oe=570598AD

Aftonbladet had yesterday an article about the Christmas of the Royal Family.
67 years the royal family spent Christmas together with Princess Christina and her family. But two years ago the tradition was broken. The two families had begun to grow - and are now celebrating in different places.
- I have grandchildren, and the royal couple has grandchildren, there will be very many people when we meet. So it's just as well that we each have our own Christmas celebrations. It's that simple, says princess Christina to Aftonbladet.
Their sons have given them five grandchildren. Also the royal family is growing. The king and queen now have three grandchildren. Next year there will be five. There is space in the royal buildings at Drottningholm - but it's more about that the Christmas celebrations have become too big project for the two large families to be together.
- No, it is not lack of space it is about. It is for purely practical reasons, says princess Christina.
Princess Christina didn't want to comment more on family's Christmas celebration. But experts believe that it will follow the traditions.
- Some stuff is steady element in the celebration. All are gathered in Stensalen at Drottningholm Palace on Christmas Eve, then they lit the fire and decorate the Christmas tree. The Queen is very strict that they will chop the tree themselves, and I think they always get it somewhere from Drottningholm. The Queen reads the Christmas Story and is sure that there will always be German element in the celebration, a cake with raisins and spirits, called Weinachtstolle. It doesn't matter, if no one eats it, says Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson.
- It has always been Swedish Christmas food, Christmas gifts, Donald Duck and the things that we all do. That's the way it is with everyone - that Donald Duck is in the background. All children like cartoon and Disney, whether you are a prince or princess or not. And that's important for Victoria and Daniel to pass all the traditions to Estelle too, says Roger Lundgren, editor in chief of Kungliga Magasinet.
Another tradition is that the family goes to Julotta, church service on Christmas Day morning.
- It is a must, it is a religious Royal family we have, says Lundgren.
On Christmas Day the royal family usually also takes a long walk at Drottningholm.
- Then it has become a new tradition on the evening of the Christmas Day that Victoria and Daniel have a Christmas party at Haga. And the whole family attends there - even Daniel's family comes from Ockelbo.
Så firar kungafamiljen jul i år _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Last edited:
A very good and heartfelt speech. Our King has a longtime involvement and engagement in issues regarding the environment, Sweden's place in the international community and our responsibility especially toward all children. I hope all Swedes take the time to listen to the speech.

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia at a Lucia concert at Notre Dame, Paris, on Tuesday evening.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
ROYAL: Silvia und Carl Gustaf beim St Lucia Konzert in Paris

A short video and photos
Kungen och Silvia _älskar Notre Dame – och var helt tagna_ _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

Lucia is one of the most beloved Swedish holidays - a symbol of light and warmth in a cold and dark Nordic countries.
After having been celebrated in the Swedish farmer society since the 1700s the Feast became a popular tradition in the early 1900s and is now seen as a sign of the arrival of Christmas. St. Lucia is celebrated on 13 December with young girls and boys marching in procession dressed in white and light up the December night with candles and traditional Christmas carols.
This year Swedish Embassy and the Notre Dame invited in collaboration with SAAB, for a grand celebration of Lucia in the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, in the presence of Their Majesties the King and Queen of Sweden. During the evening, Adolf Fredrik's Music School from Stockholm together with la Maîtrise Notre Dame de Paris performs a Lucia procession and a classical concert. The choirs are directed by Fredrik Winberg and Henri Chalet and accompanied by organist Yves Castagnet.
Luciafirande i Notre Dame _ SwedenAbroad

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom