The Royal Family of Spain, Current Events Part 5: September - November 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More from cover:

Attachments

• CA2ZSLKH.jpg
    CA2ZSLKH.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 172
  • CA8LABI7.jpg
    CA8LABI7.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 166
  • CABUKN79.jpg
    CABUKN79.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 167
  • CAZFLDSQ.jpg
    CAZFLDSQ.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 184
Something tells me that Letizia will give birth by the end of October rather than in November.

In a few of the photos, Elena does not seem to be very friendly with Letizia. Do these two get along very well?

paloma said:
In a few of the photos, Elena does not seem to be very friendly with Letizia. Do these two get along very well?
Elena and Letizia are good fellow sisters-in-law. They live both in Madrid and Letizia is said to visit her often. Infanta Elena just has this cold appearance in general (due to her specific physiognomy, that makes her face look always too narrowed), but she's actually known for being the most cheerful of the three children of KJC&QS, somehow more like King Juan Carlos... Still waters run deep...

Elsa M. said:
Elena and Letizia are good fellow sisters-in-law. They live both in Madrid and Letizia is said to visit her often. Infanta Elena just has this cold appearance in general (due to her specific physiognomy, that makes her face look always too narrowed), but she's actually known for being the most cheerful of the three children of KJC&QS, somehow more like King Juan Carlos... Still waters run deep...
I agree with you Elsa. They must be close-friends in intimacy.

I remember one formal occasion that Infanta Elena got a cough and Letizia followed her "backstage" to help her transcend her problem.
Also Letizia was seen going out to lunch with Jaime, without Felipe or Elena, and in formal occasions Letizia does demonstrate she likes her in-laws like here. This wouldn't happen if they hadn't a good relationship. I couldn't find the pic I was thinking about, but I've seen a pic in this same event where Letizia in touching Elena's arm while chatting.
Would you do that if you knew your sister-in-law didn't like you or you didn't like her? :rolleyes: No.
And I agree with you, the expression on Elena's face (like her son, IMO) always look like she is angry, bitter, sad... :eek: Cristina has a more glowing face :) .

Regards,
mtbcm

Last edited by a moderator:
mtbcm said:
I couldn't find the pic I was thinking about, but I've seen a pic in this same event where Letizia in touching Elena's arm while chatting.
Yes, this is the photo you're referring to. ;)

Elsa M. said:
Yes, this is the photo you're referring to. ;)
:D ihihihihih I was affraid you were going to choose that one ;) . I was refering a photo from behind :rolleyes: where we can't see Elena expression ;) .
Thank you for your reply :).
Regards,
mtbcm

mtbcm said:
:D ihihihihih I was affraid you were going to choose that one. I was refering a photo from behind :rolleyes: where we can't see Elena expression
O.K., then I spoiled the picture again :D Well, she can't do anything about it :D

Thank You Elsa :).
Now you made me laugh :D.

Anna_R said:
Is this the one?:)

That You Anna_R :) That's the one :rolleyes: the gesture sure looks friendly from behind :eek: ahahahahahah.

Regards,
mtbcm

http://www.noticiaspyme.com/sec/sec.actu/noti_nac.asp?idn=83165&pon=3&ids=25

Yesterday morning, the fellow members of the Telecinco talkshow ‘La mirada crítica’ commented how Doña Letizia was very kind and did not doubt in commenting with his husband the most remarkable moments of the ceremonies of the National Day. In addition, Don Felipe was very attentive towards his wife, who seemed very tired.
Besides, the future sex of the baby of Doña Letizia was also speculated on that show. The intervinients said they were convinced that Doña Letizia and Prince Felipe already know the sex of their baby, but that they prefer to keep silence on it.

Doña Letizia and Prince Felipe already know the sex of their baby, but that they prefer to keep silence on it.

Yes, i know it. The portuguese magazine VIP said that in an article.

rchainho said:
Yes, i know it. The portuguese magazine VIP said that in an article.
Nobody knows it! The article I posted only says that the talkshow ‘La mirada crítica’ has speculated on that possibility. They don't know that, nor does that silly magazine. Speculation is all we have... again.

Elsa M. said:
Nobody knows it! The article I posted only says that the talkshow ‘La mirada crítica’ has speculated on that possibility. They don't know that, nor does that silly magazine. Speculation is all we have... again.
Some spanish and portuguese magazines and newspapers say that only princess Letizia knows the sex of the baby... but like you said, Elsa, is only speculation!

Of course she knows. Please. We are not on the 19th century anymore. :cool: But if they dosn't care I care less. If they don't believe Spain deserve to know I don't beleive in their obsolete institution either so we are even. I don't beleive the son of the butcher has to be a butcher and I don't like to pay for their life style.
I love Elena's outfit by the way. About Letizia, well, is true that I don't like almost anything she does, must be that prepotent face she have all the time, who knows, maybe the fact she's not happy and her face reflects that, al least is not as happy as she used to be when journalist. Altought I did admire the independent Letizia, I don't respect the princess, an independent woman does not have their principles on sale. Sorry for not being politically correct on this forum where everybody likes Letizia, must be her last reduct because on the street :eek: ..you should hear the things people are saying......anyways I just hope you accept me as a member since I'm not breaking any rule, that's the way I think about their both, I don't buy this "From unknown to wife in three days" marriage and I'm sure it won't last, not that I want that to happen but their marriage is based on infatuation, you can see that, and infatuation comes with expiration date.

Cheers.

First of all, as I see this is your first post, welcome to the board.:)

Now, on to business,

Scherezada said:
Of course she knows.

Where does all that certainty come from? Have you spoken to Letizia lately and she let you know that she's aware of her child's gender?:rolleyes:

Scherezada said:
But if they dosn't care I care less. If they don't believe Spain deserve to know I don't beleive in their obsolete institution either so we are even.

Hey, just a moment, first things first. Spaniards will eventually know the gender of the baby, as all of us. Although Felipe and Letizia are the Crown Princely couple of a reigning monarchy, that doesn't mean they should share every single detail about their lives with the press.

This is THEIR child for crying out loud! It wasn't enough the whole year Letizia had to put up with the pressure of not coming back from her honeymoon with the heir in her womb?

Spanish law is another matter, I agree with you that it is obsolete and that the change wouldn't harm anyone. Prime Minister Zapatero has already shown his will to do so and Felipe has said that it shouldn't be done in a hurry because there's a whole generation in the middle.

People took this statement of his as he was sure the baby was a boy. I didn't, I took it as "C'mon, this baby won't be the heir right now, I'm the heir and my father is a healthy man, so we can wait longer for this change"

*I'm not saying that I agree with it, just that I interpreted it that way.

Scherezada said:
I don't beleive the son of the butcher has to be a butcher and I don't like to pay for their life style.

I didn't exactly get what you mean here, but as your profile says you're from the US, I don't see how you could be paying anything to the Spanish Royal Family...

Scherezada said:
About Letizia, well, is true that I don't like almost anything she does, must be that prepotent face she have all the time, who knows, maybe the fact she's not happy and her face reflects that, al least is not as happy as she used to be when journalist. Altought I did admire the independent Letizia, I don't respect the princess, an independent woman does not have their principles on sale.

Prepotent face? Are you aware that looks can be very deceiving? Take Infanta Elena as an example, the impression everyone has from her pictures is that she's snobbish and conceited but people who met her tells other tale, they say that she's very kind, goofy and easy going.

What makes you think that Letizia is unhappy? I think the other way around. Take a look at the pictures of her and Felipe in Mallorca this year, she looks anything but unhappy.

I believe you're saying she looks unhappy just because she's serious and concentrated when listening to conferences and speeches? I bet any money in the world that, if she smiled all the time and kept on talking during such events she would be hardly and endlessly criticized.

But I've already figured it out. With Letizia it's either love or leave, I've met very few members who stand in the middle...

Scherezada said:
Altought I did admire the independent Letizia, I don't respect the princess, an independent woman does not have their principles on sale.

Okay, now I'm completely confused here... Principles on sale? What the heck do you mean?

Letizia is still the same person, her former colleagues have said that endlessly, she's just dancing along the music! She married into one of the most fragile Royal Houses in Europe! She knows that the star of the show is Felipe and I admire her for being comfortable while in "second place", although we have much evidence around in these forums to support the opinion that Letizia brings much more attention to Felipe's engagements nowadays.

If she's not present, we get only 1/5 of pictures than when she and her "prepotent face" are present.

I'm saying something now that I've already said at least three times, but... Letizia has impressed - for her brains and not for her looks - every single politician or cultural icon she has met. Gabriel García Marquez was impressed by her and couldn't stop talking to her while the Princes were visiting Mexico, there was the Hungarian President and the authors present at the inauguration of the Cervantes Institute at Hungary who were surprised by Letizia's knowledge of Hungarian Literature.

She loves her husband, and that's why she's compromised to do what is best to him and to the Monarchy in Spain, to stay by his side, never claiming the spotlight.

Scherezada said:
"From unknown to wife in three days" marriage and I'm sure it won't last, not that I want that to happen but their marriage is based on infatuation, you can see that, and infatuation comes with expiration date.

Oh my God! Letizia and Felipe are no teenagers with hormons bubbling, they are grown adults with a past life, past experiences, who didn't need much to know that they were meant for each other.

Have you read Felipe's wedding speech? If not, I'll extract a quote of it for you, it's of the part of the speech dedicated to Letizia - one of the moderators here uses it as signature:

"Letizia, A little over a year ago we took the first steps that, with love and serenity, have brought us here. The time is neither long nor short, just enough for us to have mutually discovered, sincerely and clearly, that we want to spend the rest of our lives together."

True love doesn't respect timeframes, it just happens. It was like that with Iñaki and Cristina, and it is like that with Felipe and Letizia... Like it or not...

Scherezada said:
Of course she knows. Please. We are not on the 19th century anymore. :cool: But if they dosn't care I care less.
Not all parents choose to know the sex of their babies before they are born. Felipe and Letizia could certainly fall into this category. Frederik and Mary did not know that they were having a son until just under an hour ago. So why is the case different for Felipe and Letizia? :confused:

Scherezada said:
If they don't believe Spain deserve to know I don't beleive in their obsolete institution either so we are even. .
If you don't believe in the obsolete institution of monarchy then why join an entire forum about monarchies? :confused:

Scherezada said:
About Letizia, well, is true that I don't like almost anything she does, must be that prepotent face she have all the time, who knows, maybe the fact she's not happy and her face reflects that, al least is not as happy as she used to be when journalist.
Prepotent face - what does this mean exactly? If anyone has a prepotent face, I would say that it is Elena as she always looks rather stern and sour. But that doesn't mean that she is how she looks. Short of Letizia having plastic surgery, which I'm sure would draw criticisms of its own, I don't know what she can do to change her prepotent face. Besides, have you seen her when she smiles or laughs? It lights up her entire face.

Have you spoken to Letizia and has she confided in you that she is unhappy in her role as the Princess of Asturias? Has she told you that she was much happier as a journalist?

Scherezada said:
Altought I did admire the independent Letizia, I don't respect the princess, an independent woman does not have their principles on sale.
Which of Letizia's principles are on sale exactly? I didn't know that Letizia was selling any of her principles? About the closest to selling anything I imagine Letizia doing in her role as Princess of Asturias is selling Spain to the world. Is she selling her dignity? Her pride? Her character? Her work ethic? All of those qualities of hers are quite strong and positive, so if she is selling those principles of herself, I would be the first in line to buy them.

Scherezada said:
Sorry for not being politically correct on this forum where everybody likes Letizia,
You can have your opinons. If only your opinons were also based on facts rather than just throwing random ideas and gossip out in support of your opinons.

Scherezada said:
..you should hear the things people are saying......
What are people saying exactly? :confused:

Scherezada said:
I don't buy this "From unknown to wife in three days" marriage
Nobody said that Letizia was an unknown. She was very well known in Spain. Just because Felipe and Letizia were able to keep their relationship secret from the media doesn't mean that it is not real. Phillippe and Mathilde of Belgium kept their relationship a secret and nobody doubts the strength of their relationship. One day Phillippe was a boring Crown Prince of Belgium and the next he was a happily engaged man to a daughter of nobility. Shouldn't we be applauding Felipe and Letizia for having done a successful job of keeping their relationship in its early stages purely their own? Their entire life now is before the public eye. I am happy that they were able to have a year getting to know each other in private.

Scherezada said:
I'm sure it won't last, not that I want that to happen but their marriage is based on infatuation, you can see that, and infatuation comes with expiration date.
Scherezada said:
You're sure it won't last? Why so? What is your basis for saying that they are infatuated with each other only and that this isn't a real relationship based on true and steadfast love?

I am so exhausted by these kind of comments. It has been more than a year since their marriage. They will be expecting a baby in the next month, month and a half. Why continue to have doubts? What reasons have either of them given? It is pure nonsense if you ask me.

Cheers to Felipe and Letizia and their baby. :)

Scherezada said:
"From unknown to wife in three days" marriage and I'm sure it won't last, not that I want that to happen but their marriage is based on infatuation, you can see that, and infatuation comes with expiration date.
Perhaps that's what you wish, but I am sure that time will prove you wrong.

zarzuela said:
Perhaps that's what you wish, but I am sure that time will prove you wrong.
I agree you with. For people who live very far away from Spain or who don't have any connection with Spain it's very dificult to understand what is happening between Letizia and Felipe. But to us, who are spanish by birth or who live close to Spain it's obvious what is going on. Letizia is always very tense, everyone can see on tv's programs how angry and frustrated she always is with Felipe all the time. It's sad to say this but it's true.
Genevieve said:
I am so exhausted by these kind of comments. It has been more than a year since their marriage. They will be expecting a baby in the next month, month and a half. Why continue to have doubts? What reasons have either of them given? It is pure nonsense if you ask me.
If you feel exhausted, Genevieve, then don't read our messages please. Is what we all do when you feel exhausted with messages we don't like or agree. Maybe you have a certain opinion about Letizia and many other members have another.

Last edited:
I think that Letizia is tired and some people said that she is arrogant and antipathetic... and she knows that her popularity had already improve days, so she is trying to approach, again, the persons.
I have been reading in some magazines that some Spaniards say what the princess dresses badly, it is unpleasant and arrogant ... between other things that they say, and therefore she distributes kisses and greets the persons.
But i don't know if that is true! Because I'm not familiar with the royalty :p and because I had never with the princess.

Everyone’s opinions are relevant and appreciated, if they are expressed with rectitude, respect and politeness. So, if you all have opinions to express, please do that presenting valid reasons to back up your statements. And do that with respect to each other. This is the conduct that characterizes and individualizes The Royal Forums and of which we are not disposed to give up.

Elsa M.
(TRF's Supermoderator)

she is not arrogant , but people said she is given many privilege that not given to the infantas when they are pregnant not had the privileges that she have. like put a seat or that she don't attend an act because she is tired . this it is what I listen

meac said:
she is not arrogant , but people said she is given many privilege that not given to the infantas when they are pregnant not had the privileges that she have. like put a seat or that she don't attend an act because she is tired . this it is what I listen

To Letizia her it is not possible to compare with the Infantas. The agendas of the Infantas are much more limited than that of Letizia, they have 1 act per week, when they have it. Letizia comes to 2 or 3 per week, when they are not any more.
As for it of being standing up, it is of logic that Letizia does not have the same physical resistance that the Infantas. The Infantas are much high and broad, as what they have major physical strength to support the weight of the baby.

It is very normal that Letizia could not be raised to a helicopter or a plane every week, or that could not be a lot of time of foot being of 8 months. The one who does not understand it or does not want to understand it simply does it because has obsession, and want to criticize her for criticizing.

I have read some things, but others I do not understand them very well.

Regina has said something that Letizia is frustrated. And I create to understand that it says that it is thus because she does not make acts only and she always goes with the Prince. If you mean to that I do not believe that that is thus. Letizia is a woman very worker, and its work does not finish in the acts, is a woman who reads, inquires...I have read more than one article of serious journalists, dedicated to the political press who have had the opportunity to assemble and be spoken by her, and the majority they remained delighted with her, and saw her how an educated and intelligent person.
The impression gives me that the Spanish Royal Family, especially the Kings and the Princes have more political, economic acts .... that other royal houses. They are much more serious acts, in which evidently it is not adapted to be smiling. Letizia is very serious and is very attentive to all the speeches, but when she brings the people over is a nice and sweet person.
It does little I was reading that Letizia was very serious in an act in Bilbao ... this day the Prince also was serious. For a member of the Spanish Royal Family to be present at an act of political character in the Basque Country is in the habit of being easy. The safety is maximum and always there can be manifestations of people shouting them. How were not they going to be serious? This day a nationalistic Basque politics so did not even greet them in her speech. Later it ended the act and in exit there was a group of people and the Princes greeted them with a great smile.
They smile when they have to smile, it is how if Letizia when she was presenting the television newscast was speaking about a war or a political crisis with a smile in the face. The Queen Sofia always has been a woman of serious gesture and it was mattering for nobody.

If something can frustrate to Letizia, it is that it does what always does criticizes it. The Spanish society is enough critic, and some journalists have found a gold mine attacking Letizia. And that for her is very hard, because it makes an effort in her work and is very perfectionist, and probably cannot understand because they criticize by so absurd things how the height of her heels. Letizia was a journalist, loved and respecting her profession and I believe that for her it is very difficult to understand that the journalists are ready to any thing be invented.

Letizia is tense because she is afraid that any minimal failure is open to criticism and it she does not excuse it to her. One has to learn to relax, that does not import for her so much what the people say. The critiques towards Letizia come from a small sector of the pink press. It does little I was reading a survey for which the Princes were turning out to be very well valued, the people see that they do a serious work and it is ultimately what matters.

For her to adapt to her new life has had to be difficult. To be submitted to the judgment of a press, often undignified she is difficult. Besides the judgment of the whole country. Spain is a big and diverse country, with 42 million inhabitants (bigger enough than Belgium, Holland or Denmark). And it without telling that she lives submitted to a few strong measurements of safety.
To be A Princess can have wonderful things, but also it has difficult things to which it is necessary to be accustomed.

Last edited:
Regina said:
I agree you with. For people who live very far away from Spain or who don't have any connection with Spain it's very dificult to understand what is happening between Letizia and Felipe. But to us, who are spanish by birth or who live close to Spain it's obvious what is going on. Letizia is always very tense, everyone can see on tv's programs how angry and frustrated she always is with Felipe all the time. It's sad to say this but it's true.

I also saw some other Spaniards complaining them holding hands in every single act, talking too much to each other, behaving like two teenagers in love. Obviously each one sees what he/she wants to see, complains what wants to complain. I guess the truth must lie somewhere in between :cool:. In my opinion, they were serious in the serious acts, more relaxed in more relaxed acts. Letizia went to more serious events than the rest of the CPs combined, who mostly engaged in light-weight wife charities. I'm sure she would have made a fool of herself if she kept seeking the cameras, smiling while some other people were making serious speeches.
For people who live far away from Spain, or without international satellite TVs, there were plenty of video clips (almost for every single act) for them to make their own judgements.

Last edited:
meac said:

I know Pablo was born a a month or two after the national day. Does anyone have photos of how Cristina was in the 2000 national day celebration ? Did she get a seat during the two-hour parade ? The rest of Kings' grandchildren were either born in the summer or early fall, makes no sense even to start the comparison.
When Elena was pregnant, she had very few engagements, nobody seems to have issues with her.

Last edited:
time

I would really like to know why the fact that the royal couple weren't together for years is such a problem. People meet and fall in love it does happen. They were both in their thirties and knew what they wanted in a partner and apparently they found it in each other. I myself am not rich or royal met my husband and three months later he proposed in all we had dated nine months when we married that was 21 years ago. It was love and I was lucky enough to find it and keep it. Why does it have to be different for them just because he is a prince and she was a reporter.

I think we are all entitled to our own opinions. While most of the comments are positive, if this is a democratic forum, then all entries should be welcomed. Sometimes we only want to hear what pleases us. None of us knows Letizia so we cannot say that she is pleasant or arrogant. How could we possibly know that? We are only guessing or judging from pictures. There are many things that I personally don't like about monarchy and for people to pay taxes for them to live the great life is one of them. But I still love reading about royalty and knowing what they are doing and what they are wearing...I don't live in a country where there is monarchy so I don't have to pay for it. I think that anyone is entitled to read and join a forum. We should not discriminate for any reason...even if there are comments that we don't agree with. We need to respect each other and each other's comments.

donnaK said:
I know Pablo was born a a month or two after the national day. Does anyone have photos of how Cristina was in the 1999 national day celebration ? Did she get a seat during the two-hour parade ? The rest of Kings' grandchildren were either born in the summer or early fall, makes no sense even to start the comparison.
When Elena was pregnant, she had very few engagements, nobody seems to have issues with her.

pictures of 22 and 23 of November of 2000
XXV Anniversary of the King's Proclamation

Attachments

• 0000373829-001.jpg
    0000373829-001.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 577
  • pre-SEEGER00042687.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00042687.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 577
  • SP_family_224a.jpg
    SP_family_224a.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 578
  • ,.kj.jpg
    ,.kj.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 191
Meac, thanks for the pictures. I check the casareal web site, that's the only event (2 days) Cristina had the whole Nov, in Oct, she had 2 days' acts too. In a year without being pregnant like 2003, she had about 4 days' acts per month (excluding the summer holiday). Obviously Cristina also got the same 'privileges' to reduce her acts due to pregnancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom