King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 11: June - August 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
, Besides, we do not also know about that the queen and another gentleman was speaking.
In Spain it is very habitual, that the attendees to the game say his bet of the result of the game, probably the queen not to be too much in favour of Spain, I imagine that they could stay in tie.
I do not believe that it is an offensive gesture, it is a stupidity

Lauritas138 said:
Can someone explain me why the handsignal of Queen Sofía are ofensive?
I don´t undertand it.......

Well, trying to explain in a nice way so that I don't offend anyone, in Brazil this sign means that you're telling someone to go to not such a pleasant place, if you get what I mean:)

Anna_R said:
Well, trying to explain in a nice way so that I don't offend anyone, in Brazil this sign means that you're telling someone to go to not such a pleasant place, if you get what I mean:)
Really? Wow!... I never heard about that! Then it must be some signal specific of America, because we don't have anything of that here! :eek:

Here in Portugal, that gesture simply means that she was betting for a 0-0 result, at the end of the game!
...Cultural differences certainly are embarrassing (if not dangerous) sometimes!!

I'm sure Queen Sofia didn't know about that either!

More images from getty

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 140
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 145
Elsa M. said:
Really? Wow!... I never heard about that! Then it must be some signal specific of America, because we don't have anything of that here! :eek:

Here in Portugal, that gesture simply means that she was betting for a 0-0 result, at the end of the game!

I'm equally surprised by this, too. So maybe it is a Brazilian or South American gesture as I am unfamiliar with it in Canada, and as American and Canadian cultures are similar, I don't think that it's common in America either. To imply with a hand gesture that someone should go to a not very nice place, it's a different gesture here.

I would agree with Elsa that looking at the pictures before I saw the reply that it would imply to me that the score was zero/zero. It wouldn't imply to me something offensive.

Well were I am from, that gesture means "well done, or fantastic, good on you". I am assuming it is the same gesture?

Australian said:
Well were I am from, that gesture means "well done, or fantastic, good on you". I am assuming it is the same gesture?

It`s the same in Germany! We also use it to say "great, well done....."

I don't know if it's just me but the King and Queen look more happy together now, it's like they found equilibrium and are very happy with their family and the way their lives are right now:):)

crisiñaki said:
I don't know if it's just me but the King and Queen look more happy together now, it's like they found equilibrium and are very happy with their family and the way their lives are right now:):)
I totally agree with you sis!! ;) :)

Anyone interested in different hand signals from around the world - googling works great.

a pic of Their Majesties attending Spain's game versus Saudi Arabia, from People en Español:
http://www.peopleenespanol.com/pespanol/galleries/0,22491,1207533_7,00.html

caption reads: SU MAJESTAD, EL FÚTBOL
Their Majesties were received with a round of applause at the Fritz-Walter stadium during the match against Saudi Arabia. The Iberian team thanked them for the illustrious visit by crowning itself as the best team of the first round.

King

Closing of the General Staff Course of the High school of the Armed Forces Madrid

from terra

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
http://actualidad.terra.es/cultura/articulo/reina_premios_europa_nostra_948135.htm

The Queen delivers tomorrow the Prizes Europa Nostra

The queen Sofía, accompanied by the Prince colitigant of Denmark, president of Europa Nostra, delivers tomorrow, in the Royal Palace of el Pardo, the Prizes to the Cultural Patrimony 2005 that the Juror granted to 34 projects of 22 European countries, three of Spanish them.
These prizes, for which they competed an increasing number of ' very diverse ' candidacies, since those of the Central Europe are adding and orientally, acquire special meaning as link of union and integration across the culture.

The Kings in the opening of zarzuela “Luisa Fernanda” in the real theater of Madrid

from terra and hola

Attachments

• 72080d9ec1494g.jpg
    72080d9ec1494g.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 200
  • reye.jpg
    reye.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
fanletizia said:
The Kings in the opening of zarzuela “Luisa Fernanda” in the real theater of Madrid

from terra
Was this today? :confused:

fanletizia said:

from terra

http://actualidad.terra.es/cultura/articulo/reyes_luisa_fernanda_950307.htm

The Kings are present at the premiere of the zarzuela 'Luisa Fernanda'

The Kings were present at the Royal Theatre at the premiere of 'Luisa Fernanda', Federico Moreno Torroba's zarzuela that closes the present season of the coliseum of Madrid and that this one in the night they led, with the warm recognition of the public, Plácido Domingo, Jose Bros and Maria Jose Montiel.

Once finished the representation, to which also there came the mayor of Madrid, Alberto Ruiz Gallardón, the vice-president of the Comunity of Madrid, Ignacio Gonzalez, and the president of the Foundation Spanish Zarzuela, Julio Doncel, Don Juan Carlos and Dona Sofía came to the scene to greet the artists.

There, they conversed with the singers who acted this night and with those of the second allotment, which will do it from Wednesday.

Later, the Kings left the enclosure between the plaudits of the spectators who waited for their exit in the hall of the coliseum.
(...)

Attachments

• 72080dea1d659g.jpg
    72080dea1d659g.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 72080ded6be93g.jpg
    72080ded6be93g.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
King

Hearing to the Managerial Meeting of the Institute of the Family enterprise Palace of The Zarzuela

Hearing to the members of the Organs of Government of the Savings bank of Extremadura
Palace of The Zarzuela

Queen

Delivery of the Prizes Europa Nostra
Palace of El Pardo, Madrid

from www.casareal.es

Attachments

• 1151404905436.jpg
    1151404905436.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 97
  • 1151404950921.jpg
    1151404950921.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 112
  • 1151415466821.jpg
    1151415466821.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 1151415377899.jpg
    1151415377899.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
King and Queen

Commemorative luncheon of the anniversary XX of the economic diary Expansion
Building of the Stock exchange of Madrid

from terra

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 144
From terra

Oath of the flag of the new Royal Guards
El Pardo. Madrid

Attachments

• 72080eb5c1ed8g.jpg
    72080eb5c1ed8g.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 72080eb5c9b84g.jpg
    72080eb5c9b84g.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 72080eb6329b1g.jpg
    72080eb6329b1g.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 72080eb6353f2g.jpg
    72080eb6353f2g.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 720.jpg
    720.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
http://actualidad.terra.es/familia-real/articulo/rey_filipinas_recibe_presidenta_visita_959784.htm

The King receives the President of The Philippines, of official visit

The King received this evening in the Palace of the Zarzuela to the president of The Philippines, Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, that this morning came to Madrid, proceeding from the Basque Country, in official visit.

Don Juan Carlos greeted the chairwoman in the room of Hearings before going on to the office deprived to treat, predictably, of bilateral questions, as well as in the agreement of cooperation in Defense, that it will be signed during the stay of the Philipine delegation in Madrid, and of the recent abolition of the death sentence in the Asian country.

Macapagal came to Zarzuela accompanied of the ministers of Foreign Affairs of Spain, Miguel Angel Moratinos, and of The Philippines, Alberto Romulo.
(...)

The Kings with the President of The Philippines (terra):

Attachments

• 72080ebc61a5bg.jpg
    72080ebc61a5bg.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 72080ebc6192eg.jpg
    72080ebc6192eg.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 121
thanks for the article and pics, lula and LaChicaMadrilena! GMA (her initials, as she is also called) looked cute standing beside the King! :p :D

RhapsodyBrat said:
thanks for the article and pics, lula and LaChicaMadrilena! GMA (her initials, as she is also called) looked cute standing beside the King! :p :D
Yeah, just imagine how she will look standing beside giant Felipe!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom