Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 5: September 2005 - May 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Layla1971 said:
MTV in Australia, or overseas? Because I don't remember her here, and I've lived in Sydney for quite a long time.

I'm pretty sure its MTV Australia. You can only get it if you have foxtel. Most shows are American but they have a few Aussie shows.

Pink Tulip said:
I'm pretty sure its MTV Australia. You can only get it if you have foxtel. Most shows are American but they have a few Aussie shows.

I have Foxtel, and we get VHI and MTV, all seem to be American shows, but they do have Australian hosts on the TRL show, so maybe she hosted that and I just don't remember her.

Princess Mary book extract.

As the Crown Princess steps out for the first time since her baby boy was born, a new Australian biography Something About Mary by Emma Tom goes behind her image overhaul and exposes the battle she faced to fit into her new homeland.
It's in this weeks Woman's Day. but I didn't buy it, so if anyone has, I think we would love to read the extract.

Courtesy of Woman's Day.

Last edited:
If you've friend like that "Peter" who claims that his "friend" Mary was "boring but did exactly what you told it to do", you don't need enemies.
Sounds like jealousy to me.

Smilla said:
If you've friend like that "Peter" who claims that his "friend" Mary was "boring but did exactly what you told it to do", you don't need enemies.

Or someone who was rejected. I'm always a bit wary of anonymous sources - because it's so easy for a) magazines to make up, or b) people to feign having a better knowledge of people's lives than they do have.

pollyemma said:
I think this may be the photo in question.

I don't think she looked too bad in the before picture, but it's good enough to say it was an image she wanted to hide.

Layla1971 said:
I don't think she looked too bad in the before picture, but it's good enough to say it was an image she wanted to hide.

I think she looks great in the before pic. I think she's prettier there. she has such a sweet face when she has a little more weight.

but the change is pretty dramatic so I guess that will drum up some attention.

pollyemma said:
This(to the left) is not the picture. This is a picture from the course Mary took in Sydney. The pictures from the course was sold to the Australian/Danish media in 2002 by the the teacher of the course Teresa Page.

fromEU said:
This(to the left) is not the picture. This is a picture from the course Mary took in Sydney. The pictures from the course was sold to the Australian/Danish media in 2002 by the the teacher of the course Teresa Page.

But, the picture that she ripped up and the photographer sold to some tabloid? couldn't have been any worse than that one.

Smilla said:
"Peter" was possible not a real friend, but just another person in the class or from the same school year or just school. It's is the author who claims him a friend. Possible because the book needed to look like it has some close sources to give it more substance. I have read in another article that niether Mary's friends or family wanted to participate in the making of book. So maybe the author was desperate:) "Peter" was from her school years and that may be 15 to 20 years ago. In the Danish book "Mary, Crownprincess of Denmark" the authors interviewed a person from the same school year(9 and 10) with a name:) Dan Jensen and he said that she was intelligent, had a lot of energy and was among the more popular people in her year.

Layla1971 said:
But, the picture that she ripped up and the photographer sold to some tabloid? couldn't have been any worse than that one.
The picture she ripped up was from 1997 and she look fine to me.

I would'nt have stood beside Sara Murdoch in the first place, she is a beautiful woman and tall!

I have to say I do think Mary is better looking now, but that is down to having a make-up artist, hairdresser, good clothes and being in Love. I can't say it is because she lost weight.

Mary's public life would have been harder if she was a size 14, you know what the press is like, one pound over you are fat and one under you are anorexic.

One thing I take heart from is Frederik, a man who could have had any woman, did not judge Mary for not being a stick insect or for not wearing the best clothes . I think it speaks volumes for the type of man Frederik is when he went for personality over model perfect looks.

fromEU said:
The picture she ripped up was from 1997 and she look fine to me.

Yeah, that's why I said she couldn't have looked worse. Because she looked heavier but still good. She wouldn't have been heavier than that earlier on or even later in any other pictures.

EmmieLou said:
I would'nt have stood beside Sara Murdoch in the first place, she is a beautiful woman and tall!

I have to say I do think Mary is better looking now, but that is down to having a make-up artist, hairdresser, good clothes and being in Love. I can't say it is because she lost weight.

Mary's public life would have been harder if she was a size 14, you know what the press is like, one pound over you are fat and one under you are anorexic.

One thing I take heart from is Frederik, a man who could have had any woman, did not judge Mary for not being a stick insect or for not wearing the best clothes . I think it speaks volumes for the type of man Frederik is when he went for personality over model perfect looks.
Size 14 is not a fact. The author can't know what size Mary was. The size 14 is just for exxaggration and make the before/after story bigger in than it possible is. Mary was fuller than she is now, but not 14.

Btw the photo with Sarah was taken while Mary as a publicist(Mojo partners) was promoting a golf tournament on the Gold Coast in 1997, where Sarah O'hara was a guest at the event.

Last edited:
fromEU said:
Size 14 is not a fact. The author can't know what size Mary was. The size 14 is just for exxaggration and make the before/after story bigger in than it possible is. Mary was fuller than she is now, but not 14.

Btw the photo with Sarah was taken while Mary as a publicist(Mojo partners) was promoting a golf tournament on the Gold Coast in 1997, where Sarah O'hara was a guest.

I don't think she looked like a size 14. And, you're right, authors complicate things.
Also, it's Sarah O'Hare, but now I'm going overboard!

I agree that some journalists will exaggerate to spice up their articles or books. On the other hand, I find it incredibly irritating when the Palace, royalists and fans exaggerate Mary´s goodness. She´s beautiful, she´s intelligent, she couldn´t be size 14 (why not?)...etc etc.
She was just an ordinary Australian, so there´s no need to paint her to be some Goddess. Good for her that Fred fell in love with her, but that doesn´t mean she´s perfect. No one is. So ardent fans need not be so defensive when certain things are found out about her that doesn´t match the image that is being spinned.

pollyemma said:

Wow, the difference is incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xandra said:
On the other hand, I find it incredibly irritating when the Palace, royalists and fans exaggerate Mary´s goodness.

I haven't found the Palace or royalists exaggerating about Mary. From what I've read in Danish papers (with a very bad translator) coverage seems positive but pretty matter of fact.

I noticed some Austalian papers exaggerate in one way or another. Some call her the savior of the Danish monarchy and claim she and Fred are more popular than the BRF which is in really bad taste. Others are probably reacting to that and saying she's the conniver who wormed her way into the Royal house. The truth is a lot more complicated than that.

I have no problem with Mary being ordinary, its part of her appeal that she doesn't have movie star looks. But she's not in an ordinary situation and it would be unrealistic for her to go from real estate agent to crown princess without some image change. Camilla had to undergo an image change when she married Charles and she's hardly an airhead schoolgirl. Even Diana had an image change after she married. The women have different demands now. I see Mary is still in transition. She's got look that is a cross between ordinary and royal which is very unusual and very intriguing.

As far as being a size 14, its not the most shocking revelation in the world and nor is tearing up an old photo of yourself that you think is unflattering.

Xandra said:
I agree that some journalists will exaggerate to spice up their articles or books. On the other hand, I find it incredibly irritating when the Palace, royalists and fans exaggerate Mary´s goodness. She´s beautiful, she´s intelligent, she couldn´t be size 14 (why not?)...etc etc.
She was just an ordinary Australian, so there´s no need to paint her to be some Goddess. Good for her that Fred fell in love with her, but that doesn´t mean she´s perfect. No one is. So ardent fans need not be so defensive when certain things are found out about her that doesn´t match the image that is being spinned.
The palace has nothing to do with it. They can't control at all what is showed on TV, written in books or in the press about them good or bad. They can only sit back and wait:)

ysbel said:
As far as being a size 14, its not the most shocking revelation in the world and nor is tearing up an old photo of yourself that you think is unflattering.
I don't think this photo was thrown out because it was unflattering(it wasn't) or to hide something. I don't think there has to be any uuuhhh so "bad" motive for that. She was about to move to Europe and just cleaned her old home and throwed out some different old stuff that she possible did not have any use for anymore. Just as we all do when we move:) Mary herself, her family and her friends very likely has still has a lot of photos from her past life. So why should a couple of pictures do any difference. If you saw the TV-documentary about Mary before the wedding, Mary showed some pictures from her life that didn't look very much different from the pictures of her past life that has been showed in the press. I think people put too much into this:)

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as size 14 goes: is that an UK size 14 or an US size 14? There is a fair difference, I'd like to point out.

norwegianne said:
As far as size 14 goes: is that an UK size 14 or an US size 14? There is a fair difference, I'd like to point out.

That's a good point, Anne. The British size 14 is an American 10. The clothing designers here design to a size 8 which a lot of women can't fit into. So if they're talking about a British 14 its one American size larger than what designers design for but then its not much larger than most women in the US.

fromEU said:
If you saw the TV-documentary about Mary before the wedding, Mary showed some pictures from her life that didn't look very much different from the pictures of her past life that has been showed in the press. I think people put too much into this

That's a good point fromEU, I didn't know that. I agree with you that people read too much into this.

Right now, I'm just mad that Fred and Mary are making us wait so long for the christening. But I'll get over it. ;) :D

The average size of Women has increased dramatically over the last few decades.
The average Australian woman is now a 14-16 (similar to the British scale) which would be USA 10-12.

I imagine the average woman in America would be at least this big if a survey was taken anywhere outside of Hollywood CA.

As for Mary's size prior to her meeting Fred, I think she would have been around Australian size 12. She was well muscled rather than flabby. Whether than or now she would be in better shape and health than the vast majority of woman on the street.

Hotdog

Last edited:
I think Mary looked fine in that old photo, no too much make-up like now she does have now...let's say like any other girl, but....that topshirt looks cheap and makes me think she has a bad taste to choose her own clothes.

I was only saying size 14 as that was what I read, I never actually took much notice of it, I wasjust making a point she was bigger than she is now but not huge.

I think that the media is just trying to find scraps of info to make a story out of. CP Mary is just a normal woman who had the same issues as everyone else. So she tore up a picture, big deal. We wouldn't even care about it if it was someone un-famous, this is the work of the media blowing small things out of proportion just to sell a few papers/magazines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom