Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 3: November 2004 - May 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually surprisingly well-produced.
All on glossy paper.
Lots of tiara photos, including wedding guests.
And the Palaces.
Cost A$8.95 (no idea how many Euro this is).

Trust Davo's review. Recommended!

davo said:
Mary & Frederik : a fairytale come true. A Special from New Idea.
I recommend it… if you can get your hands on it. I’ve included the phone number for the publisher above, but you can contact New Idea on… (In Australia) 1800809346 or by fax 61 2 9464 3203 and email is newidea@pacpubs.com.au.
I emailed to the company and got a reply, and it's bad news - this booklet won't come to Europe..... :(

Princess put Tassie at top of lists

15-02-2005

DENMARK'S love for Crown Princess Mary had prompted a craving for all things Tasmanian, the state's Tourism Minister Ken Bacon said today.

Mr Bacon said visitors to Tasmania from Scandinavia had risen by 42 per cent from 2002 to 2004, and he expected the growth to continue. Crown Princess Mary and Prince Frederik will begin their first royal tour of Australia later this month, launching Tasmania yet again into the international spotlight.

"We are really looking to capitalise on our profile in Denmark and convert that interest into visitors to Tasmania," Mr Bacon said from the Danish capital of Copenhagen.

The minister will continue his journey to London tomorrow to meet Tourism Australia and UK trade representatives

The Danish press is growling because all of Marys latest interviews has been to forreign press, The photoshoot with international designers and interview in Vogue, the interview to a mag fro Greenland and now the interviews in Australia. The Press woman Liz M Fredriksen says that "some decisions has been made" and the reason is that no Australian mags got an interview before the marriage, and that there will be a press meating at the end of the Australia trip where the Danish press will have access

http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=344112:fid=100300158/

A pic from anothe fashionshow Mary attended from BT.dk

Attachments

• 268334_large.jpg
    268334_large.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,105
This is from Grace77 from the CPMaryMB:

There is nothing new in Danish Royals not talking to Danish press. Back in the 60´s and 70`s when QM was the crown princes, she and her husband didn´t give many interviews to the danish press either, all though intervies were given when she was "abroad"/ outside Denmark to foreign press. It was made clear by court, that the interviews was given to foreign reporters because they should/would be seen as something in Denmarks interests/kind of promotion.

IMO, BT is just sour that it hasn't been able to interview Mary one on one and is trying to influence the court's decision. I hope the court doesn't give in - they ought to realise that promoting Denmark/ bringing attention to Denmark is more important than wanting to know more about someone you already know a lot about.

In any case, Mary is on the cover of the new DANSK magazine (the cover is just gorgeous! http://www.danskmagazine.dk/), and since they're using a new pic of Mary, it seems that they were able to get access to the new crown princess and possibly interviewed her as well (the magazine is coming out this week I think). BT's a daily newspaper right? and if so, they would have known about this DANSK article, in which case... what, they would have known that another Danish publication have had access to Mary? So why say all these "she's being silent" crap? Pfft, whatever, sulk away....

Well, I suppose BT probably ran out of ideas and this was their last resort. They must really want that interview.

Last edited:
Sounds like Sour Grapes. Thanks for posting that link, Jasl. I like that cover.

Dennism said:
Sounds like Sour Grapes. Thanks for posting that link, Jasl. I like that cover.

Yeah, isn't it gorgeous? :) I LOVE it! (thanks to cph from CPMaryMB for posting the link the first time)...

GrandDuchess said:
An article in Billed-Bladet to this pic from last Friday says that Mary and Alexandra showed up for Malene Birger's fashion show on Friday together - the first time they've been out in the official together without their spouses present. Apparently they seemed to enjoy each others company, talking and laughing - and chatting during the show. Like old friends. They came in the same car, and left together after being backstage.

Wow! They both look so stylish and radiant! That's a rare picture, that one.

i love the pic of Mary and Alexandra together ^___^ Nice to see them getting to know each other and contradicting the theory that they're enemies and everything ^___^

i agree Hillary, i hope it wasnt all just for show though. But i think it was genuine, they are both great people.

Mary and Fred

Attachments

• 17670283.jpg
    17670283.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 769
This is an article regarding a piece on Australian TV (Today Tonight) about Mary. There should be a video soon, so I'll post the link when it is available on the website. http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=19186

BROADCAST DATE: February 22, 2005
donaldson_128x96.jpg

Mary could become Denmark's most popular monarch

Mary Donaldson was the unknown real estate agent from Australia who married into Danish Royalty and quickly become the people's princess.

In a country famous for its fairytales, Mary Donaldson's love story has enchanted millions of people, united two countries and proved that love could really conquer all.

In Denmark, the Danish people embraced Mary as one of their own, not only because she married their favourite Prince but also because she retained her down to earth charm.

Believe it or not, she was often seen out shopping down town or just having coffee with friends, all without security.

Denmark's most popular television personality Jes Dorph-Petersen, presented a marathon 17 hour coverage of the royal wedding and believed Mary would become Denmark's most popular queen.

"We love that she comes from so far away and that she is not a Dane, it adds to the mystique," said Jes.

"In Denmark she will get the same popularity as Diana had in England."

As the latest member of Europe's richest and oldest monarchy which dates back more than 1000 years, Mary broke the conservative mould of a traditional princess and together with Frederick the young couple was proving to be a public relations success for the palace with more than 80 per cent of the country approving of their union.

"It's important for them to appeal to the next generation to keep people interested in the royal family," said Jes.

Royal historian and correspondent of 30 years, Bodil Cath, watched Crown Prince Frederik evolve from a shy child into a playboy and now finally into a much adored future king.

"Mary's really changed him, he's more mature, she's opened him up, he is better with the public," said Cath.

Aussie Chris Cronin was a bartender at the Southern Cross Hotel and said he had been selling more Foster's than ever, since Mary joined the royal family.

"We get a lot of Danes in here looking and asking about Australia but I haven't served her a beer yet," he said.

When Mary was a real estate agent in Sydney, she shared a small house in Bondi Junction but in Denmark, lived in Fredensborg Palace, one of the largest castles in Europe, complete with a team of gardeners, chauffeurs and many servants.

And what did Mary get for all her hard work?

A yearly salary of more than $300,000.

Jasl said:
Mary is on the cover of the new DANSK magazine (the cover is just gorgeous! http://www.danskmagazine.dk/)
Wow, what an absolutely gorgeous cover! Wonderful!

I hope there's a good article to go with it, and perhaps someone can get access to the magazine? I've never seen or heard about it, so I don't know...

Its supposed to come out this week, but unfortunately I'm not in Denmark so I can't get it. I hope the Danes here get a hold of it and tell us what's in it.

Last edited:
The New Idea Magazine of Australia has just release a wonderful issue about Mary and for her visit.So interesting!All of the Aussie are looking foward to the visit.

although she looks great on the cover, I do not think it is tastefull for the future queen of Denmark to be modelling....again! I hope she will use her time better & will find a part of society she wants to get involved with (except fashion and glamour), like the other crownprincesses have.

Marengo said:
although she looks great on the cover, I do not think it is tastefull for the future queen of Denmark to be modelling....again! I hope she will use her time better & will find a part of society she wants to get involved with (except fashion and glamour), like the other crownprincesses have.

I agree Marengo,

She is looking more like a Model than a Crownprincess. I am huge Mary Fan, but her & the Royal Court decisions lately imo has no Direction. They really need to hire a Team of Professional Advisors.

I'm very disappointed!

Me too. She´s so obsessed about being a fashion model. With all the time spent on modelling for magazines, she could have gone to so many charitable organisations to boost awareness for their causes.
She looks good on the cover, but what´s she wearing, a negligee?
I´m sorry, but I´ve always felt that Mary isn´t a very bright person; just fascinated by stardom.

Xandra said:
Me too. She´s so obsessed about being a fashion model. With all the time spent on modelling for magazines, she could have gone to so many charitable organisations to boost awareness for their causes.
She looks good on the cover, but what´s she wearing, a negligee?
I´m sorry, but I´ve always felt that Mary isn´t a very bright person; just fascinated by stardom.

Maby it is not her for deside what to do but the court...I don´t think that she is obsessed about being a fashion model on the contrary i think that she is having her charitable in 1. priority after her Frederik.

I agree with these last few posts; Mary looks great on the cover, but is it something a future Queen should be doing? Yes, there isn’t anything essentially ‘wrong’ in her posing like a model (if she wasn’t royalty), but she cold invest her time, as Xandra said, into charitable organisations.

I also agree with the last few posts. While Mary does look very glamorous and beautiful on the cover of DANSK magazine, I don't think it's the most appropriate use of her time as Crown Princess of Denmark. And so closely on the heels of the Australian VOGUE cover, too.

None of the current Crown Princesses have given this many interviews or been photographed for the covers of this many national or international magazines from the time they became Crown Princesses to the present day. Mary has been a Crown Princess for less than a year and we've seen her in numerous photo sessions and given several intertiews to the Danish and Australian press. Come to think of it, I don't think even the present Queens have given this many interviews in their entire reigns.

Makes you wonder why it is that the Danish royal court feels it necessary to push Mary into the spotlight in such a manner or why Mary agrees to grant so many interviews. And why they can't let Mary's work in representing Denmark speak for itself rather than allow Mary to conduct endless interviews pondering and reflecting upon her role as Crown Princess of Denmark - rather than being out there and performing her role as the Crown Princess of Denmark.

When you take into consideration what the current Crown Princesses are doing, Mary seems to be doing the least:
Mathilde, who has two young kids under the age of 3/4 is currently in Africa on a mission.
Maxima, who has a child who is 14 months and is 4 months pregnant is also in Africa.
Mette-Marit who has a 13 month old plus a school-age child was recently on an African trip of her own.
Letizia is on her umpteenth foreign trip on top of the daily duties she goes to daily with Felipe.

And what has Mary been up to? Posing for DANSK magazine and attending fashion shows, and now a "working" trip - though heavily padded with lots of holiday time I'm sure - back to Australia.

Between all the official photographs of Mary alone and Mary with Frederik and all these photo shoots for various magazines, and television interviews, no wonder Mary has no time for actual royal duties.

The thing with all these photo shoots and interviews is that there is no special reason for them: No milestone birthday or anniversary, no major development or achievement to be marked, no significant event or occasion to be marked, such as the birth of a child or a special honour received or bestowed. Mary is sitting for these photographs and interviews "just because" whereas we mostly see the other royals giving such interviews for significant events: Alexandra's 40th birthday interview in Costume, Mette-Marit's recent interview with a Norwegian publication after her return from Africa, Mathilde's interview to mark her 30th birthday, Silvia's photo shoot to mark her 50th birthday. And what are Mary's reasons for all these interviews? To discuss her role and transition as a Australian commoner to Danish Crown Princess ... how often can we hear about this transition? How long does this transition last?

Last edited:
Genevieve said:
And what has Mary been up to? Posing for DANSK magazine and attending fashion shows, and now a "working" trip - though heavily padded with lots of holiday time I'm sure - back to Australia.
I disagree, take a look at their schedule for their upcoming visit to Australia it has been posted in this forum.
I fail to see the Crown Princess posing for Dansk magazine an key magazine for the Danish style counsel or attending the fashion shows is such a big issue. The Crown Princess is the patron of the CIFF was she not suppose to show up for one of the biggest days of the year for CIFF?

I do agree that there're a lot of new pictures of the Crown Princess and she's on the cover all the time. But if you look at the name of the photographer, almost all of the pics were taken by Steen Evald (sic?). It is possible that they had one long photo session or whatever, and just wore different clothes.

I have to say though - Australians now know about Denmark!! She's everywhere here right now - on the covers of all magazines (well maybe not all). I haven't come across one person who doesn't know about Mary and Denmark.

And why all these interviews? I would say its all about promoting Denmark (or promoting Mary, take your pick, I'm pro-Mary so I don't think she's doing anything wrong). Seriously, the trade between Australia and Denmark has really picked up. IMO some countries spend millions on advertising in order to increase tourism, but why waste all that money (the Danes are big contributors to UNICEF - they'll probably give the money to UNICEF instead) when Mary could be a one-woman marketing team when it comes to marketing Denmark to Australians??? And all she needed to do was give a couple of interviews (which probably wouldn't have taken that long... she probably fitted all these interviews in one or two days).

And I think the feeling here in Australia is that its so cool that Fred and Mary are so down to earth and accessible. IMO some of us have had enough of stuffy royal houses and all these antiquated ideas about what a royal should or shouldn't do. Upholding the social hierarchy - that's sooo not what we're all about. We've had enough of royals being off limits, of royals being prim and proper all the time.

I was also reading the Sun Herald here in Aust and they had a Mary article (surprise surprise). I thought this quote was pretty relevant to the current discussion:

The Crown Prince's court is keeping a tight rein on the trip and the couple has only given carefully controlled pre-tour interviews to two Australian press organisations which were hand picked by Christian VIII's Palace.
Now I don't know which organisations they're referring to, but I have to say that the Women's Weekly article is a lot like Ben English's article. In fact, the article in Women's Weekly has convinced me that journos probably do "Paraphrasing 101" - there's nothing new in it, even the quotes sound like they were lifted from the Ben English interview and/or the Ninka interview.

Also, in regards to Mary being in fashion magazines, I would have to say "but why not Fashion mags"? She'd be a pretty useless patron for the Danish fashion industry if the rest of the world never get to see Danish designs. Maybe this is what people are forgetting - she is the patron of several Danish fashion organisations. She needs to/wants to/is interested in raising awareness of Danish fashion designers. She is an excellent patron for them and quite effective too I think. But she will not be effective if we impose our outdated views on her (e.g. that she's a royal and she shouldn't pose... notwithstanding that the Crown Princess posing in Danish designed clothes is the best advertisement for Danish fashion you can have).

So yes, DANSK is a fashion magazine but then again its also CPH's magazine (Danish fashion industry mag or something) so that explains that. And Women's Weekly, New Idea... these aren't fashion magazines, they're ordinary magazines. Vogue is a fashion mag - yes, but then again Vogue is fairly prestigious, and posing for that is similar to the other young royals posing for .. I can't remember the name of the magazine now (the one with Prince William on the cover).

I get the feeling that there are some negative views about the abundance of Mary articles in several magazines.... but the fact is that Australia and Australians are so very excited about this visit! I think for the most part, Australians aren't at all thinkging "o, its too much", I think most of us are thinking "we want more info"! :)

(Dennism - yeah I'm doing some "recycling", LOL!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a good thing that Mary is doing these shoots, younger women read them and it is good that Mary connects with them on their level.

If she just did stuffy shoots she would not appeal to all ages, as a 23 year old myself (in N.Ireland) I would love to have a princess on the cover of my fashion magazines.

Jasl said:

Also, in regards to Mary being in fashion magazines, I would have to say "but why not Fashion mags"? She'd be a pretty useless patron for the Danish fashion industry if the rest of the world never get to see Danish designs. Maybe this is what people are forgetting - she is the patron of several Danish fashion organisations. She needs to/wants to/is interested in raising awareness of Danish fashion designers. She is an excellent patron for them and quite effective too I think. But she will not be effective if we impose our outdated views on her (e.g. that she's a royal and she shouldn't pose... notwithstanding that the Crown Princess posing in Danish designed clothes is the best advertisement for Danish fashion you can have).

There is ofcourse a difference between beeing on the cover with pictures taken at their official engagements or papparazzi pictures, that they cant control, but doing three fashion shoots in a few months is over the top IMO. And the argument that she does it as patron for danish design would have been more valid if she had accually worn dansih designs on all the pictures, which she did not do in Vogue (1 danish and several not danish) and Dansk (1 danish and two not dansih) Also on her trips abroad she has been wearing mostly nondanish clothes. She is not a common celbrety that can do as many cover as they please as thay only promote themself, she is the future Queen of Denmark and I find such behaviour only further washes out the difference between royals and celebreties, a line that is already VERY thin at the moment.

Attachments

• mary.jpg
    mary.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 2,034
Last edited:
I don't think there is anything wrong with what Mary is doing. We have to remember that Mary is from a English speaking nation (Australia) with ties to the UK. The Media is looking for someone to fill the "Diana Mania" vaccumn. So the court is allowing her to do these shoots and interviews as a way to profile the royal house outside of Denmark. But the choose what she does. The want to increase her profile and provide the public with what they want, but they don't want to have a whole Diana media fiasco again. People in Australia and England are fasinated by her. Not to mention Denmark. They are also hoping America and Canada will catch on. Better to have her in a controlled interview than a paparazzi showcase.

Mary also does a lot of charity work. She/the court have taken their time in deciding what charities she is going to help. They are causes close to her heart. She's not collecting charities, she wants to keep a small list of causes she can really make a difference. Bravo. It's not the quantity but the quality. She is learning as much as she can about what she represents, taking it slowly to not make mistakes.

I also think the court is slowly indoctrinating her into royal life. We have seen so many royal marriages fall apart from Charles and Di to the Joachim and Alex. They don't want to overload her and stress her out. Yes, Alex has done a lot for charity, but did she and Joachim grow apart b/c of it. We don't really know, it is just specultion. But it is something we need to consider.

Photo shoots don't take a lot of time. They are done at their "home" and are in a relaxed atmosphere compared to photo calls and paprazzi shots. She also has been putting time into her marriage with Fred to create a strong foundation for when children come and she assumes even more responsibility. She is also still learing about Denmark, it's companies, her causes and the people. To take it slowly is not only smart, but pratical.

There are a lot of magazine covers now b/c of her tour of Australia. Not only her major foreign tour (new york wasn't long enough to be major) but it is also her homecoming. Their is a great thirst for knowledge and photos of Mary. Plus it also feeds into the fantasy that many people have of what royalty is.

Bravo Mary! Your doing great so far!!

Picture of Dansk cover

Attachments

• 164422_normal.jpg
    164422_normal.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 5,620
Fashionista100 said:
I don't think there is anything wrong with what Mary is doing. We have to remember that Mary is from a English speaking nation (Australia) with ties to the UK. The Media is looking for someone to fill the "Diana Mania" vaccumn. So the court is allowing her to do these shoots and interviews as a way to profile the royal house outside of Denmark. But the choose what she does. The want to increase her profile and provide the public with what they want, but they don't want to have a whole Diana media fiasco again. People in Australia and England are fasinated by her. Not to mention Denmark. They are also hoping America and Canada will catch on. Better to have her in a controlled interview than a paparazzi showcase.

Mary also does a lot of charity work. She/the court have taken their time in deciding what charities she is going to help. They are causes close to her heart. She's not collecting charities, she wants to keep a small list of causes she can really make a difference. Bravo. It's not the quantity but the quality. She is learning as much as she can about what she represents, taking it slowly to not make mistakes.

I also think the court is slowly indoctrinating her into royal life. We have seen so many royal marriages fall apart from Charles and Di to the Joachim and Alex. They don't want to overload her and stress her out. Yes, Alex has done a lot for charity, but did she and Joachim grow apart b/c of it. We don't really know, it is just specultion. But it is something we need to consider.

Photo shoots don't take a lot of time. They are done at their "home" and are in a relaxed atmosphere compared to photo calls and paprazzi shots. She also has been putting time into her marriage with Fred to create a strong foundation for when children come and she assumes even more responsibility. She is also still learing about Denmark, it's companies, her causes and the people. To take it slowly is not only smart, but pratical.

There are a lot of magazine covers now b/c of her tour of Australia. Not only her major foreign tour (new york wasn't long enough to be major) but it is also her homecoming. Their is a great thirst for knowledge and photos of Mary. Plus it also feeds into the fantasy that many people have of what royalty is.

Bravo Mary! Your doing great so far!!

Well said. I also think it is a bit of providing enough casual and official photographs in the start, so that the paparazzis don't have quite the same marked for theirs. It allows her to grow more confident in her role, I think.

Larzen said:
She is not a common celbrety that can do as many cover as they please as thay only promote themself, she is the future Queen of Denmark and I find such behaviour only further washes out the difference between royals and celebreties, a line that is already VERY thin at the moment.
This is so true, and something we should really think about if we want our Royal Houses to exist also many years from now. As the world of the old royalty is now almost completely washed out, and the Royal Families are today closer to the people and more "in their time" - the Courts of Europe and the respective families should all consider that their roles today are not what they used to be and therefore the Royal Families are not as "needed" in everyday life. Today we have a showbiz world that provides star glitter and celebrities of different categories that provides a lot of gossip and self promotion - so therefore the Royals need to protect the very thin line between being a royal and being a celebrity - and what their roles in our world is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom