Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexandria  Posted: Oct 13th, 2003 - 10:32 pm

You mean Frederik and Mary aren't living together?
When Crown Prince Willem Alexander of the Netherlands was engaged, it was reliably informed that his mother put her foot down in that there was to be no hanky panky until wedding day. I can't imagine that Queen Margrethe II of Denmark would be any different. :eek:

I am asking anyone if their can help me with getting a coping of this weeks point de vue please i can''t get in australia but i would like that cope, i will pay for it and the mailing cost to.
billie-jo

Which issue # is it that you want? I'm in Canada, and sometimes we ours are a week behind. I just bought the issue which covers the various recent weddings.

Sean.~

i mean the one with mary donaldson on it, i went point devue websit and there it was.
billie-jo

www.smh.com.au

Hail Mary!
By Nick Galvin
October 18, 2003

Alongside Lego and those tasty breakfast pastries, Australians can now add a third thing they know about Denmark - Tasmanian Mary Donaldson.

Donaldson is the 31-year-old Taroona High old girl who will become a Danish princess when she marries Crown Prince Frederik next year.

Naturally, the Hobart press is agog with this real-life fairytale. Try the Hobart Mercury for a pretty typical report about the girl who would be queen.

In contrast, you'll find little evident excitement on Taroona High School's rather austere site. In fact, when we visited the site of this Hobart school, its most famous old girl didn't even rate a mention.

Of course, folks in Denmark want to know everything about their new queen-to-be.

"Mary charms Danes" is the heading on a report in Denmark's only English-language newspaper, the Copenhagen Post.

"It is fantastic to be able now to come out in the open now about our relationship," Donaldson reportedly said at her first news conference, "although I cannot recall ever imagining I would one day become a princess. I wanted to be a vet."

Obviously, you can take the girl out of Tassie ... however, as Holly Byrnes reports in The Sun-Herald, there have been some pretty strenuous efforts to prepare Donaldson for her new role with fashion, deportment and language training.

She might find some assistance with the latter over at Unforgettable Languages, which promises a basic grasp of Danish for $US8.75 ($12.66) in just three hours and includes gems such as this. "The Danish for BUTTER is SMOR. Imagine you smear butter on yourself."

Once she's finished mentally smearing herself with butter, getting a handle on the history of her new in-laws is likely to be just as tricky for former real-estate agent Donaldson. There's an excellent potted history of the Danish Royals at Royalty.nu, starting in the 10th century with the wonderfully named Gorm the Old.

There's a more extensive spiel on Frederik and his family at the official Danish monarchy website.

The Crown Prince also has his own site, in English, featuring plenty of detail about his betrothed. Was it the fact that Donaldson was captain of Taroona High School's hockey team that won his heart or did her Certificate in Direct Marketing from the Australian Direct Marketing Association seal the deal?

Frederik's own resume is a little longer and reveals plenty about the prince and his wide-ranging interests.

It wouldn't be generally known outside Denmark that he is an honorary member of the Danish Mongolian Society or that he is patron of the Scandinavian Furniture Fair.

Some of the information, however, cries out for further explanation. For instance, just what do you have to do to become a Knight of the Order of the Elephant? The site also makes it clear the prince is not short of a quid. In fact, his annual pocket money from the state is 3.7 million Kroner, which is about $850,000 - and he doesn't have to bother with details such as income tax or the Danish equivalent of GST.

In her quest to become expert in all things Danish, Donaldson could do much worse than to spend some time studying the Visit Denmark site, the online home of the Danish Tourist Board.

Under the heading "Trendy Denmark", Donaldson will learn that "in an affluent, classless society like Denmark's, cultural concepts such as design, arts and crafts, cuisine and fashion are accessible to all" and that the country is "currently enjoying a new cultural awareness".

Just like Tassie, really.

She'll also learn the tourism marketers have already started touting her upcoming nuptials on May 14 next year as a great reason to visit Denmark.

There's a slightly less anodyne introduction to Denmark over at the excellent Lonely Planet site.

"With little to get angry about ..." notes Lonely Planet, "post-Viking Danes have had to file down their horns and make their mark in more civilised fashion ... by inventing Lego toys ... and producing some talented upstart soccer players."

And finally, for anyone out there looking to meet their own prince, you could do worse than to head on down to Sydney's Slip Inn for a couple of schooners - that's where Donaldson unknowingly started her path to becoming Danish royalty two years ago.

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/commo...255E903,00.html

Mary is Prince's saviour
BEN ENGLISH
12oct03

MARY Donaldson's impressive performance on the public stage last week served up an uncomfortable reminder for the Danish royal family – her Crown Prince has yet to grow up.

The Australian's poise before a nation which until Wednesday had never heard her speak Danish sent a sigh of relief through the palace, but it also sparked concern that her fiance, the one-time playboy Prince Frederik, 35, remains too immature to assume the throne.

"This was actually the Crown Prince we have seen many times but have perhaps forgotten how immature he can be," said the editor of a major Copenhagen newspaper, who did not want to be named.

That perception was underlined by reports that Frederik was "out on the town" the night before Wednesday's big day while Mary, 31, practised her speech.

Royal-watchers say Mary's handling of the Danish press last week transformed the palace's attitude from "will she handle it" to "thank God we've got her".

"She will be the guardian to handle difficult situations," said one royal insider. "Frederik must be very grateful to have found someone with this quality because it will make it easier for him to fulfil his role. The whole royal family should be grateful to her, because she will guarantee its longevity."

Originally posted by Alexandria@Oct 18th, 2003 - 6:58 pm
www.smh.com.au

Hail Mary!
By Nick Galvin
October 18, 2003

She might find some assistance with the latter over at Unforgettable Languages, which promises a basic grasp of Danish for $US8.75 ($12.66) in just three hours and includes gems such as this. "The Danish for BUTTER is SMOR. Imagine you smear butter on yourself."

Once she's finished mentally smearing herself with butter, getting a handle on the history of her new in-laws is likely to be just as tricky for former real-estate agent Donaldson. There's an excellent potted history of the Danish Royals at Royalty.nu, starting in the 10th century with the wonderfully named Gorm the Old.

Oh, my mother-of-pearl necklace! Is that really what they teach people? "SMOR is 'butter' in DAnish"? HOw crazy, hahaha, let's smear ourselves with butter! :rolleyes: lol, doesn't Mary have private lessons for Danish? I don't know...she should spend a few weeks in a comprehensive Danish boot camp----> the countryside where next to nobody speaks English. Sweeeeeeet...Haha..that's a hilarious article.

Is there a chance that Joachim may overtake his brother's spot in the line of succession? Joachim seems a lot more responsible than Frederik, and he has a lovely family. Is there a chance that Joachim may become Crown Prince Joachim? I don't know...I think a lot of people would like to see that happen. Joachim would be a good king...a mature one anyways.

Mary and Frederick were both featured on the Australian version of 60 minutes a week ago. I realise that she must have been nervous and under pressure and any lapses in her Danish might be forgiven but in the interview, Fred spoke better English than she did. While she wasn't a ditz, she was appallingly inarticulate. English is her native language and she wasn't even conjugating verbs properly!

How long did she have to rehearse for this day? You'd think she'd have some nicely rehearsed anecdotes and tidbits to share with the public. But nope! Bupkiss. She kinda sucked. I guess she's a bit shy and nervous about her new role, but it doesn't augur well for a future Queen to be such a black hole for confidence, charm and charisma.

She looked really nice though - not as harsh as in earlier public pictures with CPF. Her Engagement day outift was much more age appropriate compared to Alex's matronly suits. (Dress younger Alex!).

Is the Danish press giving her flawed Danish a pass? SHould they? Hasn't she lived there for a couple of years now? Let's hope she doesn't end up the Danish version of Marie-Chantal.

Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 18th, 2003 - 8:17 pm

The Australian's poise before a nation which until Wednesday had never heard her speak Danish sent a sigh of relief through the palace, but it also sparked concern that her fiance, the one-time playboy Prince Frederik, 35, remains too immature to assume the throne.

That perception was underlined by reports that Frederik was "out on the town" the night before Wednesday's big day while Mary, 31, practised her speech.

Royal-watchers say Mary's handling of the Danish press last week transformed the palace's attitude from "will she handle it" to "thank God we've got her".

"She will be the guardian to handle difficult situations," said one royal insider. "Frederik must be very grateful to have found someone with this quality because it will make it easier for him to fulfil his role. The whole royal family should be grateful to her, because she will guarantee its longevity."
[/quote]
Maybe Frederik's "immaturity" was "giddiness" and relief over the excitement of the day? Although I do detect a hint of a child-like quality in Frederik from some of his pictures, I don't necessarily perceive that as immaturity.

And what is wrong with Frederik spending the night on the town before his engagement was to be announced? He wasn't the one who needed to brush up on his Danish. Now, if he had to speak in Danish in public for the very first time the next day and he chose instead to go out for drinks, that would be something different. But Frederik has grown up all his life with similar balcony appearances and public duties, I think that at the age of 35 Frederik would know the routine by now.

As for Mary being the "guardian to handle difficult situations," I am still in doubt of that one. A case of counting your chickens before they hatch perhaps? But certainly Mary will be able to guarantee the royal family's longevity, if not as the "guardian" of Frederik and difficult situations, then certainly by producing offspring.

(Gee, I think I woke up on the cynical side of the bed this morning!)

Alexandria  Posted: Oct 19th, 2003 - 10:53 am
(King Christian @ Oct 18th, 2003 - 8:17 pm)

Maybe Frederik's "immaturity" was "giddiness" and relief over the excitement of the day? Although I do detect a hint of a child-like quality in Frederik from some of his pictures, I don't necessarily perceive that as immaturity.

And what is wrong with Frederik spending the night on the town before his engagement was to be announced? He wasn't the one who needed to brush up on his Danish. Now, if he had to speak in Danish in public for the very first time the next day and he chose instead to go out for drinks, that would be something different. But Frederik has grown up all his life with similar balcony appearances and public duties, I think that at the age of 35 Frederik would know the routine by now.

As for Mary being the "guardian to handle difficult situations," I am still in doubt of that one. A case of counting your chickens before they hatch perhaps? But certainly Mary will be able to guarantee the royal family's longevity, if not as the "guardian" of Frederik and difficult situations, then certainly by producing offspring.

(Gee, I think I woke up on the cynical side of the bed this morning!)

Alexandria,

In a way I have to agree with you. As I was posting the article, it occurred to me that there was a certain bias to the story.

Any stupidity can be forgiven for a man who's silly in luuuuuuuuv. I guess Mary's lack of English can be forgiven...nervousness? Hangover? Embarrassed? A yokel? Someone who failed English? *cough*, never mind. Anyways, I still don't fully appreciate Mary's presence in the kungliga familien.

I thought there was somewhere an earlier question - which I can't find now - about what Mary's title would be when she gets married.

I found this interesting link:
http://www.denmark.dk/
where it says that

The Members of the Royal House

In a narrow sense, the royal house today consists of Queen Margrethe II, the Royal Consort Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik and
his fiancée, Mary Elizabeth Donaldson, who will get the title of Crown Princess after the wedding
on 14. May, 2004 ....
(King Christian @ Oct 13th, 2003 - 9:24 pm)

WHERE is Mary living in Copenhagen I presume, NOW that she is the fiancee of the Crown Prince ???
I gathered she is still living in her apartment at Langelinie, and will do so until the wedding.

Hmmm ..... where is this apartment relative to CP's residence ?
Is there, like an underground tunnel (or back alley) to rendezvous for secret midnight trysts ? :innocent:

The article said also something to the effect of Mary being driven around in the cars from the Royal House with chauffeurs ... I got to wondering if Mary has to bum a ride to the Royal House before she can use the official wheels / help to carry her shopping bags ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 20th, 2003 - 4:04 pm
The article said also something to the effect of Mary being driven around in the cars from the Royal House with chauffeurs ... I got to wondering if Mary has to bum a ride to the Royal House before she can use the official wheels / help to carry her shopping bags ?
I can just imagine the future Queen of Denmark with her thumb out like a hitch hiker at the side of the road trying to get to the palace! :p Or trying to flag down a cab and telling the cab driver to take her to the palace "pronto!" :p

I think as the fiancee of the Crown Prince of Denmark, Mary is entitled to some perks and benefits. I don't know how much security the royal family of Denmark usually has, but perhaps Mary has a bodyguard following her around to protect her from well-wishers or "fans?"

I think Mette-Marit had a bodyguard or two after her announcement to Haakon was announced, to protect her and Marius. But maybe Mette-Marit's situation was different in that her past was a bit of controversy and the royal handlers feared for her safety?

Hi!

This article is from the Sunday Mail in Queensland, Australia -

How I set my friend up with a prince

19oct03

A BRISBANE woman has revealed how she set a royal romance in motion – but she is still awaiting an invitation to the wedding.

Beatrice Tarnawski, from Teneriffe, introduced Tasmanian beauty Mary Donaldson to the future Danish king, Crown Prince Frederik, in a Sydney pub in October 2000.

Ms Donaldson, 31, and her prince, 35, announced their engagement this month and are expected to wed early next year.

Advertising copywriter Ms Tarnawski, 31, this week spoke about the introduction – for which Prince Frederik thanked her.

"Frederik was so in love when he thanked me and I just see myself as a link in this whole fairytale story," she said.

"I'd love to receive a wedding invitation but I never bet on anything."

But Ms Tarnawski also defended herself from claims she later betrayed Ms Donaldson by selling her story to the media, and was "dumped" by her friend because of it.

She told The Sunday Mail the story was "already in the public domain".

"You have to be very good friends with someone to be able to be dumped. I know the general feeling I got from them was that it wasn't ideal for me to give my story to the media – but it's normal for you to lose contact with someone if they move overseas."

Ms Tarnawski met Ms Donaldson through her friend Andrew Miles who shared a flat with the princess-to-be.

She said that on the night she played matchmaker, she had arranged to meet Bruno Gomez-Acebo, the nephew of the King of Spain. "Bruno wanted to go out and asked me to assemble a group of my friends, one of whom was Mary," she said. "I met Bruno at the Regent Hotel in Sydney and he introduced me to his cousins. One of the first people he introduced me to was Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark.

"We went to the Slip Inn in The Rocks where Mary and the other girls were waiting. "When we walked in, Mary was one of the first girls near the door and Frederik introduced himself and said, 'Hi, I'm Fred'."

A night of pizza, beer and margaritas followed and, by the end of the night, Ms Donaldson and Prince Frederik where cosying in a corner of the pub.

It is understood she met him again the following night before launching into a relationship kept a closely-guarded secret by family and friends for almost a year.

"I know Frederik frequented Mary's flat a lot at Bondi," Ms Tarnawski said.

"He was travelling a lot around Australia with his brother in a 4WD but I know he came back and visited her a lot. They also enjoyed frequent phone conversations when he was back in Denmark.

"I do hope it works out.

"She is a very private person, and she has taken up quite a challenge. She has had to give up her Australian home, change religion, move to another country where the average temperature in winter is zero degrees, learn a new language and give up her children if they divorce.

"That's a lot for one person, so she must love him."

The photo is of Beatrice Tarnawski...

Attachments

• friend.jpg
    friend.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 4,237
In view of CP Felipe's surprise engagement, I would hope the following conversation did not ensue

CP Fred gave CP Felipe a call to say, "Felipe, I need a favour ... Mary is just so ... how shall I say ...embattled .. with all this publicity. Remember that drunken little pact we made in "Slipp Inn" .... like could you get yourself engaged soonest ?"

From the looks of the Spanish couple, I don't think that call was made. I think Mary is doing some serious studies in Princessology and Danish. The more pictures I see, I think she looks alot like Posh Spice aka Mrs. Beckham.

Princessology? Every time I think of what Mary is studying I can't help be reminded of what the Princess oF Genovia had to go through.

Dennism  Posted: Nov 5th, 2003 - 3:20 pm

Princessology? Every time I think of what Mary is studying I can't help be reminded of what the Princess oF Genovia had to go through.

And that is ?
and who is/was the Princess of Genovia ?

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 5th, 2003 - 4:31 pm
Dennism   Posted: Nov 5th, 2003 - 3:20 pm

And that is ?
and who is/was the Princess of Genovia ?
Princess Amelia of Genovia from the Princess Diaries- the movie and books by Meg Cabot. She had to take princess lessons in the books from her oddly mean grandmother, who likes to call her "poulet" (hooker).
The royal family of Genovia is based on the Grimaldis of Monaco.

Thank you.

My field of ignorance has been narrowed. :innocent:

Originally posted by moosey60@Nov 5th, 2003 - 7:46 pm
She had to take princess lessons in the books from her oddly mean grandmother, who likes to call her "poulet" (hooker).
The royal family of Genovia is based on the Grimaldis of Monaco.
"Poulet" means chicken. Are you thinking of "putain"? (Doing my part to further the French language... ;) )

lasu  Posted: Nov 5th, 2003 - 9:20 pm
(moosey60 @ Nov 5th, 2003 - 7:46 pm)
She had to take princess lessons in the books from her oddly mean grandmother, who likes to call her "poulet" (hooker).
"Poulet" means chicken. Are you thinking of "putain"? (Doing my part to further the French language... )
I'd be inclined to think that clean Hollywood movies would not have an "oddly mean grandmother" use a sewing term .... :) hooking is after all, as far as I know, another word used for 'darning' of holes in socks. But I have not seen the movie, my nieces jealously guard their DVD's ... ahhh ... woe is me. :innocent:

www.ibl.se - Truck driver who pays 60.000 DKK (8,075 Euro) to have his truck painted with Frederik and Mary's picture. Crown Prince Frederik and his fiancee Mary Donaldson will soon be driving all over Denmark - not that they know anything about it. Their picture will soon be decorating a new, blue carrier truck owned by truck driver Bjarne Knudsen from the small village of Hinnum in Denmark. The artist is an American, Ray Hill, who lives in Sweden. Now he spends a lot of time in Denmark doing paintwork on the big Scania truck. His work will be done around December 1, 2003. And to tell from the first pictures he is doing a great job.

www.ibl.se - Truck driver who pays 60.000 DKK (8,075 Euro) to have his truck painted with Frederik and Mary's picture. Crown Prince Frederik and his fiancee Mary Donaldson will soon be driving all over Denmark - not that they know anything about it. Their picture will soon be decorating a new, blue carrier truck owned by truck driver Bjarne Knudsen from the small village of Hinnum in Denmark. The artist is an American, Ray Hill, who lives in Sweden. Now he spends a lot of time in Denmark doing paintwork on the big Scania truck. His work will be done around December 1, 2003. And to tell from the first pictures he is doing a great job.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 631
  • truck_1.jpg
    truck_1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 663
  • truck_2.jpg
    truck_2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,874
  • truck_3.jpg
    truck_3.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 533
Last edited by a moderator:
Putain. Not poulet. But calling someone a chicken is a little insult as well. The grandmother's last name was Renaldi after all. Anyway, something from my ridiculous mind. Anybody recall the name of Amelia' father? Not sure of the full name but Philippe and Gerard is in it). Ironic because Gerard Phillippe was the name of a great movie star in France in the 50s who died quite young just like Mia's father. Coincidence. Perhaps. If not then I caught it right away. Of course, there's also Philip Gerard but that would be taking things out of hand.

This is so dull.

No pictures anymore of Mary going about, doing her shopping and other less and more royal events.

:(

Originally posted by Dennism@Nov 6th, 2003 - 12:50 am
Putain. Not poulet. But calling someone a chicken is a little insult as well. The grandmother's last name was Renaldi after all. Anyway, something from my ridiculous mind. Anybody recall the name of Amelia' father? Not sure of the full name but Philippe and Gerard is in it). Ironic because Gerard Phillippe was the name of a great movie star in France in the 50s who died quite young just like Mia's father. Coincidence. Perhaps. If not then I caught it right away. Of course, there's also Philip Gerard but that would be taking things out of hand.
Artur Christoph Gerard Philippe Renaldo of Genovia- I think that was Mia's dad's name.

"Poulet" also means hooker in French. It does mean chicken, but it can also double as the word for "hooker". :rolleyes:

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 10th, 2003 - 12:52 am
This is so dull. 

No pictures anymore of Mary going about, doing her shopping and other less and more royal events.

:(
You would find the media coverage of the whole danish royal family very dull, I guess :lol:

They are all allowed the privacy of living :)

That is the normal situation between the media and the danish royals anyway.

The huge interest in the media of the woman the Crown Prince might choose - made the media loose their selfcontrol and go overboard - but as the danes in a lot of surveys - and also online polls - have told the media to leave these two alone too - meaning both in the future crownprincelycouple - you won't find much in the times to come - I believe.

But when a more royal event occurs - you will most certainly be able to view some online coverage, don't you think ?

As the media already have scrutinized Mary's life for 2 years by now - since she 15.november 2001 was publically identified as Crown Prince Frederik's girlfriend whom he had met during the 2000 Olympics in Sydney - that piece of work was done long before the official engagement - regarding this royal couple anyway, right ? ;)

Originally posted by anna@Nov 11th, 2003 - 5:02 am

But when a more royal event occurs - you will most certainly be able to view some online coverage, don't you think ? 
So does anyone know when Mary might next participate in an official royal event?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom