The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-11-2015, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

This happens in all monarchies. Republicans (who definitely have the right to have their own opinion on the monarchy) have sometimes to bite on their tongue because to the left or to the right, the royal person on that throne is the head of state.

It is the same with Artur Mas, the separatist President of Catalonia (whom wants to establish an independent and republican Catalonia): he is still the president of a Spanish region and sometimes he has -with visible dédain- to "welcome" the head of state of the country he still belongs to.

In Oviedo (Asturias), the Mayor and the councillors have to reveive the King and his entourage for the Premios Princesa de Asturias. There were loud voices in the municipal council that the Mayor and the councillors should remain home and not be part of "this royal propaganda circus".

Old 10-11-2015, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

I'm not disagreeing, it's just he is making a fuss. It's only for a few hours and then he can go home and fight what he wants to fight.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 10-11-2015, 01:54 PM
Courtier

The ceremony isn't to celebrate the King but to celebrate the nation they're all citizens of. This and Jeremy Corbyn not singing the national anthem is to me more about getting cheap points for being "alternative" and "revolutionary" than making a political statement.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The ceremony isn't to celebrate the King but to celebrate the nation they're all citizens of. This and Jeremy Corbyn not singing the national anthem is to me more about getting cheap points for being "alternative" and "revolutionary" than making a political statement.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
This is exactly what I think. Alternative and revolutionary are a trendy attitude right now, but anyway most people I've heard/read seem to think this is quite immature. Just like the Mayor of Madrid not going to the Gala Dinner of a State Visit, not realizing that more than the royals, she was offending the guests

Old 10-12-2015, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wonderful weather for the ceremony this morning in Madrid and thankfully not too warm!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Bowing to the flag
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Re...NNIVERSARY.JPG

Old 10-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

PPE

PPE Agency

PPE Agency
Old 10-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thanks to those who shared the photos and videos of the National Day celebrations so far. I thought it was cute how in one of the videos, a patriotic goat joined in the parade.

Letizia looked stunning and every inch a Queen. I think this is one of her best appearances of 2015 (so far). Leonor and Sofia are charming, as usual. Sofia seems to be changing a lot lately, I think she's starting to look a little more like Letizia now because in these photos she reminded me of Leonor.

Do the citizens of Spain get a day off for the National Day? I'm curious, since it was on a school and work day, and there were lots of people including school aged children in the crowds.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Nobility

National day (October 12) it's a national holiday. The goat is the pet of the Legion regiment
Old 10-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

As far as I'm aware its a Public holiday in Spain.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Serene Highness

I especially liked the the Legion Regiment, their uniform is magnificent, as is their method of marching !
Old 10-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Majesty

Originally light infantry, judging from their way of marching. - In contrast to their "cousins" The French Foreign Legion that was originally heavy infantry.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Serene Highness

I can't name them, so forgive my ignorance: my favs were those with the goat and then the ones with the fez
Usually I would fell asleep watching a military parade, but I kind of liked it this time.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 10-13-2015, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

What a lovely event and the perfect day IMO.
Letizia looked great and the girls looked adorable. It's great that they are attending such an event at a young age with their parents.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Originally light infantry, judging from their way of marching. - In contrast to their "cousins" The French Foreign Legion that was originally heavy infantry.
Indeed, light infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
I can't name them, so forgive my ignorance: my favs were those with the goat and then the ones with the fez
Usually I would fell asleep watching a military parade, but I kind of liked it this time.

Those with the goat are the legionarios and those with the fez the regulares of melilla. There are also regulares of Ceuta, their uniforms are blue where the ones from melilla are red:

http://www.regulares.net/images/10355283--644x362.jpg
http://www.ejercito.mde.es/Galerias/...rm52/GREG2.JPG
Old 10-13-2015, 06:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Old 10-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

Queen Letizia looks amazing and the girls look very cute. It's great to see them again and good to see them at such an event.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Some fav pictures from yesterday:

The girls enjoying the march of the absolute star of the parade, the Legion's goat (named Pablo BTW )
http://static1.purepeople.com/articl...vi-950x0-2.jpg

Good view of the King and Queen awaiting their guests at the Throne Hall in the Royal Palace:
http://static1.purepeople.com/articl...ia-950x0-1.jpg

And this mother-daughter lovely moment definitely deserves its place:
http://static1.purepeople.com/articl...es-950x0-3.jpg

Bonus of all the family at the tribune:
http://static1.purepeople.com/articl...vi-950x0-2.jpg

Tags
king felipe, national day, national day 2015, queen letizia, spanish national day, spanish national day 2015