The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Maxima wore a brooch that I've never seen before today.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4395/9do9.jpg

...and another brooch and her lovely pearl, bracelet and black pearl & diamond earrings the next day.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7528/jksi.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5140/dfq6.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3746/tq97.jpg

Are these new or new to Maxima brooches? I've never seen them before and I don't seem them on
Dutchroyaljewels.nl

Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The Queen wore a brooch that was last seen in public in 1984, when Queen Beatrix went to the UK for a state visit. And before that in 1938 when Queen Wilhelmina wore it at Prinsjesdag.

http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2013/PPE13101732.jpg

Old 10-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Maxima wore a brooch that I've never seen before today.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4395/9do9.jpg

...and another brooch and her lovely pearl, bracelet and black pearl & diamond earrings the next day.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7528/jksi.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5140/dfq6.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3746/tq97.jpg

Are these new or new to Maxima brooches? I've never seen them before and I don't seem them on
Dutchroyaljewels.nl
There is more,much more,then there is to be seen on Dutchroyaljewels.

And some old new light on the Mellerio jewelry of the RF,which isn't all Mellerio at all.Erik Schoonhoven,jewelry expert on the collection of the Dutch RF plus a link to a fabulous new book:

Mellerio: new findings on Dutch royal jewels » The personal website of Erik Schoonhoven

Old 10-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
There is more,much more,then there is to be seen on Dutchroyaljewels.

And some old new light on the Mellerio jewelry of the RF,which isn't all Mellerio at all.Erik Schoonhoven,jewelry expert on the collection of the Dutch RF plus a link to a fabulous new book:

Mellerio: new findings on Dutch royal jewels » The personal website of Erik Schoonhoven

Thant you so much! There's so much to learn about the Dutch royal jewels. Now, with Queen Maxima, we are likely so see a wider array of jewels; and many we've never seen.

I'd love to get a copy of that book.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, I have to admit, having Mabel wear the supposed smaller diamond tiara setting of the Mellerio Sapphire tiara the evening before the Inauguration seemed to be pushing it a little for Maxima's grand debut as Queen Consort. An awful lot could go wrong (let's never forget the Princess Elizabeth's Fringe tiara snapped when they were trying to get her dressed for her wedding!) But what do I know, these things could snap together as easily as Lego! But somehow I didn't think it was quite such a snap. Now we know it didn't because it wasn't!

But as for a purchase of 20 pieces . . . well, I would love to know what else was included in that insignificant number 20.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:28 AM
Administrator

That Vincent Meylan didn't find any files about the Sapphire tiara doesn't mean that the tiara wasn't made by Mellerio, the files could simply be lost. The Dutch court jeweller only recently referred to the tiara as being made by Mellerio. I believe it is clear that the tiara was designed by Oscar Massin.

The sunray tiara as worn by Mabel does use diamonds of the sapphire tiara. The top diamonds were originally brown diamonds - as mr Meylan discovered, but now seem to be replaced by the diamonds from the sapphire tiara.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 AM

Not Mellerio

Every single sale by Mellerio to any customer has been kept meticulously in their records. Their records show only sales in 1882 (3 minor pieces) and in 1888 in April, the 22 pieces, one of which are ruby and diamond earrings, which later were added to the grand ruby parure, the Christmas gift of the King to Emma in December that year. That is all.

Furthermore: the book by Rene Brus - Juwelen van het Huis Oranje-Nassau, published in 1996 (!) already very clearly proves the attribution to Mellerio was rather unlikely. It is probable a Dutch jeweller made these jewels. Even more so, none of the sapphire jewels were bought at Mellerio.

As far as the design by Massin is concerned: the original design was made in 1867. In 1881 it was already publicly available probably for over a decade.

Best,
Erik Schoonhoven
Old 10-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow, I didn't look close enough to see the pearl brooch. I have never seen it before....Love it and hope that John (dutchroyaljewels) gets some info for us. The gold feather I think I read was a wedding gift to Maxima and she has worn it often although not lately.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

The pearl brooch is so beautiful!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Here is a great photo of the Mellerio Sapphire Tiara I have never seen before:

Pic
Old 11-07-2013, 02:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Here is a great photo of the Mellerio Sapphire Tiara I have never seen before: Pic
Stunning!

I can see how this is dismantled, as it is so hard to imagine where all jewels really come together when they are worn and swallowed by hair!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Maxima wore her sapphire earrings along with her tutti fruity bracelet on one hand and a bracelet and watch on the other.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2hi6lpv.jpg
Old 11-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Those sapphires are so luscious and go with the dress perfectly. I think she also has a tutti-fruity necklace as well that she hasn't worn in awhile.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Those sapphires are so luscious and go with the dress perfectly. I think she also has a tutti-fruity necklace as well that she hasn't worn in awhile.

Yes, she's wore the tutti-fruity necklace for WA's 40t birthday party.

http://www.dutchroyaljewels.nl/Tutti..._Jewellery.htm
Old 11-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I cant wait till she pulls that necklace out again....its one of my favorite designs of the Art Deco period. I think hers is modern though.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Dbarn. That's such an unusual piece and certainly suits Maxima very well.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Courtier

Queen Maxima wearing a sapphire or aquamarine brooch that I have never seen before. I can't tell what other jewelry she is wearing though, like her bracelet or ring. Does anybody have close ups?

Not such a royal welcome: Dutch King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima get 'pelted with tomatoes' during Russia visit | Mail Online
Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Administrator

The brooch may have come from the inheritance of Queen Anna Pavlovna, née Grand Duchess of Russia:

Round diamond and sapphire brooch
Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
Queen Maxima wearing a sapphire or aquamarine brooch that I have never seen before. I can't tell what other jewelry she is wearing though, like her bracelet or ring. Does anybody have close ups?

Not such a royal welcome: Dutch King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima get 'pelted with tomatoes' during Russia visit | Mail Online
Phooey to the tomatoes; hope none of them hit that gorgeous brooch!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Phooey to the tomatoes; hope none of them hit that gorgeous brooch!
Don't worry, in the article it said none of the tomatoes actually hit their Majesties. It would have been difficult to pick out pieces of tomato in that brooch or earrings
I wish we had better pics of the jewels she wore on the Russian visit.

Tags
jewels, queen maxima