The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

On today's episode of 'This Morning' there was a segment on diamonds. They showed some really lovely footage of some of the Queen's diamonds on display at BP for the Diamond Jubilee. They also brought in some random jewellery that's currently for sale.

Nothing here that we haven't seen before, but some of the footage of the Coronation necklace, for example, is just breathtaking. I hope it's viewable outside the UK. The segment is here:

Queen's Jubilee diamonds | Style & Beauty - ITV This Morning

Old 07-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

No, the video isn't viewable since you have to be in the UK, according to the disclaimer, but I think I've seen photos of the BP exhibition with that magnificent display.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Nobility

British Royal Jewel Storage

We are always commenting of the jewelry that we see, but what about when we don't see them? I am pretty sure that every piece has a custom made case for storage when the queen travels, but what about when she is at BP or Windsor? Do you all think they are stored in the cases for dust protection, etc.? Or is there a room with glass cases (bullet proof or not) where there is some fantastic lighting that really shows off the pieces as selections are made by her, or someone on her staff? I have never heard anything more than that the jewels were moved to Windsor during WW2. I am not referring to the State Jewels, just the personal ones.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I imagine the royal jewels are kept at a palace, potentially under guard or just lock and key, and when Her Majesty wants a tiara or a set of jewels it's brought out.

Diamonds: The Jubilee collection is on display at Buckingham Palace it is the biggest display of the entire collection we've ever seen.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

At Buckingham Palace, there is a vault in the apartments which only The Queen and her personal dresser have the combination to that holds most of her jewels. Each royal residence reportedly has a similar vault.

In the basement of BP is a much larger strongroom vault which stores all the family's jewels going back to George III.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Serene Highness

Although the jewels are of the queen's does she need to sign a paper in order to borrow or are the jewels at her disposal?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Although the jewels are of the queen's does she need to sign a paper in order to borrow or are the jewels at her disposal?
Not all of the jewels belong to The Queen, but seeing as they are kept at her residences, I doubt she needs any paper to borrow.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

Not all of the jewels belong to The Queen, but seeing as they are kept at her residences, I doubt she needs any paper to borrow.
The vast majority of the jewels are The Queen's personal property. The state pieces, like the Imperial State Crown, are not kept in her vault, although the State Crown is brought to her a few days before she opens Parliament. According to Paul Burrell, she wears it a few hours at night before bedtime to get used to the weight!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The vast majority of the jewels are The Queen's personal property. The state pieces, like the Imperial State Crown, are not kept in her vault, although the State Crown is brought to her a few days before she opens Parliament. According to Paul Burrell, she wears it a few hours at night before bedtime to get used to the weight!
Indeed I know that. The Crown Jewels, as everyone knows, are kept at The Tower of London and as they cannot be removed from the UK, The Queen wears other jewels abroad.

Her personal collection listed on wikipedia, I believe a few things are missing, I'm pretty sure certain things aren't owned by HM but are even on loan to her.
The Personal Jewel Collection of Elizabeth II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

"A few" missing jewels from the Wikipedia list is a serious underestimation. On top of my head, I can think of dozens of important, impressive pieces that are omitted: her personal brooch collection alone is well above 100 - and that's just the ones she has worn in the last decade or two.

Wikipedia's article includes just the better known and more important pieces but I'd say they don't compromise even 5% of the Queen's private jewellery collection (I obviously mean the jewels that I personally am aware of, although there can be many more somewhere in the vaults or jewellery boxes).
Old 08-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Gentry

That Wikipedia page was exceptionally wrong, even for Wikipedia. So many brooches missing, so many tiaras included that are no longer (or were never) hers...
Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Aristocracy

I've just found on the net a picture (3rd on that page princess margaret | Tumblr ) of very young Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret wearing two unknown tiaras. Do you know something about them? I don't even know if they are real jewellery or costume jewellery.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyend View Post
I've just found on the net a picture (3rd on that page princess margaret | Tumblr ) of very young Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret wearing two unknown tiaras. Do you know something about them? I don't even know if they are real jewellery or costume jewellery.
In number 11?

Looks like their taking part in a Palace play to me and its just part of their costumes.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyend
These photographs are of the two Princesses in costume for one of their pantomimes.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think we all have wondered about how and where the queen keeps all the glittery bits that belong to the monarchy. I am not asking about the crown jewels - we know about them - but I think we all wonder where she keeps all the other inherited and gifted pieces.

In the past few days we saw The Countess of Wessex bring back an aqua tiara not seen since the 60s, to wear at the Luxembourg wedding of Guillaume and Stephanie. Last night we saw The Duchess of Cornwall resurface an amethyst and pearl necklace that was a wedding gift to the Queen Mother and not seen for the better part of a century.

Neither piece seemed to fit Queen EII's taste - but seemed a perfect fit for Sophie and Camilla's styles in jewelry - so it was a winning situation! But how did Sophie and Camilla get connected to those pieces that fit them so well?

I always wonder if the Queen says (for example), "Ladies lets go through the vault together and see what we can find that is a fit for you? How about Sunday, after church?" Or does Sophie hint that she would like to borrow a tiara for the Luxembourg wedding prompting the Queen to tell her to go see her keeper of the tiaras at Sophie's leisure? Or maybe Sophie's people tell the Queen's people that a need for major bling has arisen? Or is it some combination of all or none of those?

I realize we probably will never know but I do imagine this locked door. Inside are shelves and shelves and shelves. On those shelves are hundreds of velvet boxes lined with tarnish proof padding. There are categories - like "Tiaras, too uncomfortable to wear," "Gifts of State, no matter how ugly," and "What was great granny thinking?" There is a "FAVORITES" shelf and the Jardine Star. Queen V's bows, The Girls of Great Britain Tiara and a few others rest there.

I can dream - and I hope this made you all chuckle today! That was the intent.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Courtier

playing dress up in Grannys closet taken to a whole new level
Old 10-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Majesty

You know, I remember when I was a little boy my grangmother had a large, heavy and shiny wooden case. In this case were jewelry she had bought and those that were pasted down to her from family and friends. I used to think my grandmother was rich because in the case were sparkling diamond necklaces, brooches, rings and gold chains. You know stuff that was of great value and not something out of a crackerjack box. Know some of that stuff will be passed on to my future wife.

I'm guessing that if Camilla, Catherine, Sophie, Anne or any female member of the royal family want to borrow some jewelry from The Queen they just ask her and the jewels are provided. I also think Her Majesty give jewels to the new bride before or after the wedding as loaned gifts. That seems to be the tradition of the female members of the royal family.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
You know, I remember when I was a little boy my grangmother had a large, heavy and shiny wooden case. In this case were jewelry she had bought and those that were pasted down to her from family and friends.
I think we all have these moments with "the family jewels" and that we treasure them.

I really believe if someone offered me a trip to the jewel vault, or a night out with a prince, I'd take the jewel vault. LOL - but then, I'm no spring chicken!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd really like to be a fly on the wall as the queen was speaking to someone she knew well about all those "missing" pieces of the royal collection of jewels.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
Thats why the palace checks the auction catalogues for missing items from the palace that people have nicked on their visits.

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewels, necklaces, photo, queen elizabeth ii, tiara, tiaras