The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
That necklace is stunning. Camilla pulls it off very well.

I'm going back and forth on whether it's new or a re-work.
It's different necklacse as the rubies are different shapes and sizes. The older
breastplate's rubies are oval shaped while last night necklace has larger pear shaped
rubies.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I stand corrected after seeing the pictures vis-à-vis. The rubies in the "new" demi-parure are all pear-shaped, whereas the rubies of the necklace worn in Philadelphia are oval, so both sets are different indeed. It is amazing but also strange that the Duchess has now sets which are -in the eye of the public- almost identical.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

At the very least it is astonishing that she now has two ruby sets - and that both necklaces are bib/breastplate in style.

They are both gorgeous, though I don't think either fits the Duchess perfectly. But she likes big pieces, he likes to buy her big pieces, and he likes to see her in big pieces, I presume.

I did imagine what it would be like to swan around in the new necklace. Delish!
Old 02-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
It's not elegant which is what I would expect from the wife of the heir.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Exactly. There's a difference between being elegant and being over the top. Yes, the consort to the heir to the throne should have substantial jewels but it's also a matter of taste. This type of necklace IMO is more suited for the Queen of Brunei or Sheikha Mozah rather than the Duchess. It's too over the top.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:08 PM
Majesty

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Bling of the Day: February 18

Absolutely one of my favorite jewels from Camilla!
Old 02-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

hey are bith very heavy pieces, but far in away I prefer the newly appeared one.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
It's different necklacse as the rubies are different shapes and sizes. The older
breastplate's rubies are oval shaped while last night necklace has larger pear shaped
rubies.
Yep, I just looked at some other pics and see that they are indeed different necklaces.

I prefer the older necklace. The design is nicer and I like the way it's structured - it just hangs better.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Serene Highness

I am amazed there are still rubies being found of such a size. These are very large tear drops. If the other breast plate design was touted as being worth over 1 million pounds imagine the cost of this one.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Serene Highness

Looking at the pictures of both ruby necklaces, I like the way the older necklace lays, but I like the style of the newer necklace better.

I would wear either one.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Having now seen them both- I can't decide which I love more. Love them both!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Just wonderful necklace and she wears it well, great to air out the bling, flaunt it baby flaunt it
Old 02-19-2015, 04:56 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I dislike both ruby necklaces immensely, they are far from elegant - downright ugly IMHO. Anyway, it is polite of the duchess to wear it once and she wears them well. I suppose the necklace will end up on the pile of ME jewel gifts she already has and hopefully they will be redesigned at a later point, the rubies themselves are of an amazing size indeed and deserve a nicer setting to do them justice. I think the Duchess has much more elegant jewels at her desposal which I hope she will wear instead of these curious designs. The small Keppel ruby tiara/necklace is far prettier than these two things for example.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:03 AM
Royal Highness

I hope I never see this necklace again I really find it ugly
I doubt Kate would ever wear it as she's more into understated elegant pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-19-2015, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Has the Duchess worn the breastplate more than once? I don't remember that she wore it again and tend to think that it was worn out of curtesy for those who gave it.

I would split up both necklaces and create several smaller and more wearable pieces.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I dislike both ruby necklaces immensely, they are far from elegant - downright ugly IMHO. Anyway, it is polite of the duchess to wear it once and she wears them well. I suppose the necklace will end up on the pile of ME jewel gifts she already has and hopefully they will be redesigned at a later point, the rubies themselves are of an amazing size indeed and deserve a nicer setting to do them justice. I think the Duchess has much more elegant jewels at her desposal which I hope she will wear instead of these curious designs. The small Keppel ruby tiara/necklace is far prettier than these two things for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Has the Duchess worn the breastplate more than once? I don't remember that she wore it again and tend to think that it was worn out of curtesy for those who gave it.

I would split up both necklaces and create several smaller and more wearable pieces.
I think the newer one is much nicer than the older one. That said, I doubt either of these necklaces will see much use in the medium term.

That said, I think the second one certainly could be altered to reduce its size and scale a little bit, so that the resultant necklace is more usable. Rubies look lovely on Camilla, and I think she can do with a usable ruby and diamond necklace.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think the newer one is much nicer than the older one. That said, I doubt either of these necklaces will see much use in the medium term.

That said, I think the second one certainly could be altered to reduce its size and scale a little bit, so that the resultant necklace is more usable. Rubies look lovely on Camilla, and I think she can do with a usable ruby and diamond necklace.
I also like the second ruby necklace much better then the ruby pleastplate. It looks like one or two of the rows could also be removd to make it more wearable.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Charles likes to see jewels on his wives. I think Camilla looks rather elegant in single strand necklaces. Her necklace she wore the other night really didn't suit her, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Charles likes to see jewels on his wives. I think Camilla looks rather elegant in single strand necklaces. Her necklace she wore the other night really didn't suit her, IMO.
The Prince's first spouse was not remarkably bejewelled. In all her years as Princess of Wales she only had the smaller Spencer diadem on loan and the Lovers' Knot diadem. For the rest the Princess did not that that many jewels, apart from the ocassional choker here or there.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Prince's first spouse was not remarkably bejewelled. In all her years as Princess of Wales she only had the smaller Spencer diadem on loan and the Lovers' Knot diadem. For the rest the Princess did not that that many jewels, apart from the ocassional choker here or there.
She also wore some necklaces too. I'm just saying that he like them to dress up and dress well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Over on the Royal Sartorial blog, several people are suggesting these mighty ruby necklaces might be shown to better effect on Camilla if worn over a garment rather than next to the skin - I think it's a fair point. I'm wondering what other mature royal ladies have succeeded with this look.

Closed Thread