The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Its difficult to tell from the pictures as to whether she was wearing emeralds or sapphires. The dress seemed to be a dark green colour, so it would be odd to wear sapphires with it.
While the Saudi emerald necklace could be of identical design to the Saudi sapphire necklace, it would be an odd (and disappointing) choice given that the ruby necklace, presented at the same time, was so different.

Quote:
Also, the design of the Sapphire necklace worn by Camilla previously (at a Princes´Trust do about a year ago) was quite different.
The Saudi sapphire necklace worn at the Prince's Trust Gala in November 2006 can be seen in the pic below. It appears to be the same as the necklace worn in London this week.

November 2006 . . . . . . . October 2007

Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
why wear a sapphire necklace with what appears to ne a emerald dress - that woman gets less taste as she gets older!!
The old superstition of Blue and Green should never be seen, is just that. When you have Sapphires and Diamonds of that size, why let a little thing like superstition get in the way! Taste has nothing to do with age and Camilla has exhibited nothing but good taste, IMO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
And here's me, slaving away wearing my fingers to the bone to provide this magnificent array of smilies so that people don't have to be confused about when they're joking. Not that we have a tongue-in-cheek smilie because the only one I found looks as though it's having a seizure, but any time you think your attempts at humour might be misunderstood, feel free to apply these:
But Elspeth, even your wonderful smileys can be misunderstood! I always think the exhibits the shrug your shoulders and roll your eyes in a friendly way, until someone said they found it offensive and sarcastic. I think we are all guilty of seeing what we expect to see in a post. What we 'hear' clearly when we write can be misconstrued and misread.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
While the Saudi emerald necklace could be of identical design to the Saudi sapphire necklace, it would be an odd (and disappointing) choice given that the ruby necklace, presented at the same time, was so different.

The Saudi sapphire necklace worn at the Prince's Trust Gala in November 2006 can be seen in the pic below. It appears to be the same as the necklace worn in London this week.

November 2006 . . . . . . . October 2007
Hmmm, they do look the same? Im Consoling myself with the fact that Camilla has received the Queens order. So no Emeralds yet. Are there any other major functions in the works where we may get a glimpse of something new and shiny.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Possibly during the CHOGM (Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting) which is to be held later this month after HM's state visit to Uganda.

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall are attending so there's every possibility that Camilla shall wear a diadem/tiara at the opening banquet.

Time will tell though.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Possibly during the CHOGM (Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting) which is to be held later this month after HM's state visit to Uganda.

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall are attending so there's every possibility that Camilla shall wear a diadem/tiara at the opening banquet.

What about at the opening of parliament I remember seeing a picture of Diana and Charles in the carriage with the queen a few years back.

Do you think that there may be a chance that Camilla might be invited?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Courtier

Again, I'm probably out of step with most people here, but I think that the tiara which Camilla wore didn't suit her at all! I don't like it, much, as I think it too heavy overwrought and a little ugly, although I think that it looked much better on The Queen Mother (different shaped face).

I'd like to see Camilla with a tiara of her own, designed specifically to complement her features. I can't believe that Charles can't afford one.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, sorry, Polly, here I must disagree. I think the tiara looks so much better on Camilla. Her hair nicely arranged. The queen mother's hair always looked dissheveled, I can't imagine why, she had access to plenty of hairdressers. Yes, she had fine hair, but many of us do and do something with it. Camilla carries this off with elegance.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Serene Highness

Also the Diplomatic Corp "do"
Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Heir Apparent

The diadem definitly better suited the Queen Mother.

Camilla wears it and it's probably to become her signitaure piece but it looks to sit much to high on her head and that sweeping hairstyle she isnsits on maintaining doesn't help..infact it looks to elevate it.

It's quite the robust piece and is wonderful to view though, so I hope she continues to wear it as I'm sure she shall.

Quote:
What about at the opening of parliament I remember seeing a picture of Diana and Charles in the carriage with the queen a few years back.

It has been a number of years now since the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were joined in Parliament by members of their family.

So no, I don't believe we shall see Camilla making her parliamentary debut any time soon, in this regard.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Oh, sorry, Polly, here I must disagree. I think the tiara looks so much better on Camilla. Her hair nicely arranged. The queen mother's hair always looked dissheveled, I can't imagine why, she had access to plenty of hairdressers. Yes, she had fine hair, but many of us do and do something with it. Camilla carries this off with elegance.
Countess, I don't think that The Queen Mother's hair was ever dishevelled, as such. Rather, she was very old and her hair became quite thin and sparse over the last three decades or so. Even so, she always looked a million dollars, to me.

Camilla, I still think, deserves her very own tiara. Such a worthy and consolidating accolade it would be.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:22 AM

Well she will be Queen so is entitled to a few more baubles than Sophie. But I think she carries off the antique jewels well so a new tiara wouldn't be right for her IMO.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

I think the honeycoomb tiara loks very good on Camilla. She has already worn 2 tiaras from the royal collection.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is a very important symbolic gesture that Camilla has worn two large and significant tiaras. She is a mature adult and does not need to go through the princess training state. She stepped right into the "next Queen" role and appropriately wears significant jewelry from her husbands dear grandmother/Queen Mother. She looks very regal in both.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Upon reflection, I think the Delhi Durbar diadem looked particularly rediculous. That thing did not suit her at all and I surely hope she doesn't wear it again!

Much of it has to do with her hair and those damn exaggerated sweeps.

Personally, I would like to see her in a piece which was aquired from the Russian sales.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 PM

Oooh harsh. I think the Farah suits the big tiaras. With updos, they'd look like scaffolding and with long loose hair they'd just lack life. I think hair needs body to carry off a big piece and Camilla did carry it off well. It's also true to say that 'in motion', it looked alot better than on pics because her natural grace and elegance helped pull the regal look off without looking like she was trying too hard. Having said that, I do prefer her in the Honeycomb. I'd love to see her in the Vladimir though.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:17 PM

So far Camilla is best in the big Delhi Durbar thingy, in my opinion.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh it looked horrible......it just didn't suit her imo.

Quote:
I'd love to see her in the Vladimir though.
I'm not talking of the Vladimir tiara..no no, the smaller ones notably favoured by both Mary and Margaret. Though if I could just get my hands on that hair of hers!!! And sure, her hair needs body, thought it would be advisable to stop short of walking through a wind tunnel.lol.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought Camilla was over doing it when she wore the Delhi Durbar, the queen mother tiara suits her well.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Royal Highness

My My, such viciousness!

I personally thought that HRH The Duchess of Cornwall looked magnificant in the Delhi Durbar tiara http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...ry_camilla.jpg
and that the message was quite clear--the Queen could have given her any tiara to wear that night (and let's face it, there are a lot to choose from) but she gave her daughter-in-law a diadem associated with Queen Mary herself and with an event like the Durbar! My Lord, the history behind the piece and the message accompanying Camilla's wearing it was just short of announcing her status to the world. I quite like the Delhi Durbar tiara and would love to see again soon. However, I am also holding out for the Teck Crescent Tiara (see my avatar)--

I also like the Boucheron tiara as well http://img104.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_958lo.jpg and Camilla looks equally wonderful in it, also. I do think it is a little bulky, and little geometric, but she pulls it off quite well and looks very regal in it. She always looks perfectly appropriate! AND let us not forget whose tiara that was---the Queen Mother's! Another loud and clear message about Camilla's role in the future.

Personally, I like her hair. She always looks nice, wears lovely clothes, stunnign hats, magnificant jewels, and stands by Charles' side in a loving and supportive manner. I think she is amazing considering what she has had to endure to have the right to stand by his side like she does. Personally, I am growing more tired every day of hearing these comparisons to Diana, or having a discussion about Diana arise whenever the Duchess is in the news. I mean was it really necessary for the Daily Mail to print a picture of Diana's RFO and hint that Camilla was wearing hers? That was simply tacky, but it worked and sold papers. Yellow Journalism, sensationalism--I abhore it.

As for Camilla getting her own tiara designed for her, I just don't see her going for that! It doesn't seem like her style to go out and design an expensive piece of jewelry when she has so much at her disposal now. It would be nice, but I think that it likely won't happen. It would seem vulgar and overdone--besides, I prefer seeing the older pieces brought out! In fact, I think Camilla would look lovely in Queen Alexandra's Rundell tiara!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

That tiara looks to small to be on Camilla's head. IMO the Boucheron tiara suits Camilla just as how the Spencer and Lover's knot Tiaras suited the Princess of Wales, and Fergie's tiara suited her. Maybe the Kokoshnik Tiara might look well on Camilla.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery