Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know how you feel but who would think you'd get tired of seeing the Lovers Knot? I think we have to remember that even Diana only had one royal tiara. The other was on loan from the Spencer Collection.

I have no doubt it would have changed with time as Sophie's did. But the bottom line is that Catherine is not the Queen's daughter-in-law but rather her granddaughter-in-law. And, the LK is not an insignificant tiara and she has worn some terrific beautiful and historic necklaces, bracelets an earrings.

I know how you feel but who would think you'd get tired of seeing the Lovers Knot? I think we have to remember that even Diana only had one royal tiara. The other was on loan from the Spencer Collection.

I have no doubt it would have changed with time as Sophie's did. But the bottom line is that Catherine is not the Queen's daughter-in-law but rather her granddaughter-in-law. And, the LK is not an insignificant tiara and she has worn some terrific beautiful and historic necklaces, bracelets an earrings.

for some reason HM is now much more willing to borrow peaces from her collection to her daughter's/granddaughter's-in-law then she was 30 years ago. Perhaps because now she has much more at her disposal after she inherited all the Jewels of her mother.

Can I please make my New Years wish and ask for a slight variance in the tiaras? Would be nice to see the Cartier Halo again - or the Lotus flower .... anything else than the Lovers knot ;)
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...607991438048756632&selectedIndex=5&ajaxhist=0

I feel the same way. The Lovers Knot is a beautiful piece, but with so many in the vaults, it would be nice to see some alternatives. (Especially since there are so few occasions to wear tiaras).

Yes I agree, but the Duchess is not alone in this. The Duchess of Cornwall favours the Boucheron. Sadly, there are so few tiara events that it means there is little need to vary things.

Personally, I'm dying of curiosity over that new ring she's wearing! :D

Me too..I want a clear shot of that ring as well!

LaRae

Lots of tiaras

I feel the same way. The Lovers Knot is a beautiful piece, but with so many in the vaults, it would be nice to see some alternatives. (Especially since there are so few occasions to wear tiaras).

I think it would be lovely to see different tiaras since there are so many, next thing you know they will be in an artificial setting such as a museum. Why not wear them.

I think P Beatrice looked stunning in the emerald kokoshnik at her wedding, what a beautiful surprise.

As we all know, that is just not the way things are done in the BRF in the current reign. I think the senior women of the BRF are provided with a few tiaras (3 in the case of the Duchess of Cornwall, as per Hugh Roberts), but they tend to only wear one "signature" tiara (eg, Camilla, Catherine).

IMO, the BRF do not like to display their jewellery collections too much, and probably see the jewels very much as part of the job and uniform. That said, I would love to see both Camilla and Catherine wear other tiara's and jewels.

I don't think the tiaras Camilla is wearing right now would suit Catherine. It will be interesting to see if the tiaras change up some with Catherine after Camilla is the Queen consort.

LaRae

I think P Beatrice looked stunning in the emerald kokoshnik at her wedding, what a beautiful surprise.
off topic for this thread about Catherine’s jewelry but—
Eugenie wore the emerald tiara—Beatrice hasn’t had her wedding yet.

Last edited:
Is there any I.D on the red stone earrings worn by the Duchess at the Africa Reception last night ?
If they are Rubies they are BIG, and look to be too bright to be Garnet ?

Semi- precious 'rubies' are a new one on me ... !

I want to see Kate with ruby, sapphire or emerald jewels. She has the right colour to do it.

Amazing, I waited for someone to ID these since yesterday and they did not dissapoint!

Semi- precious 'rubies' are a new one on me ... !

Me too! Maybe they use that term because the rubies aren't top quality - hence the relatively low price? The stones look flawed & their double-drop ruby earrings are quite opaque. Still lovely of course but we probably wouldn't see that quality of ruby in a setting with diamonds.

Synthetic Rubies are 'a thing', but 'natural' ones that size and colour are eye-wateringly rare, and correspondingly expensive - £149 ????

It seems VERY odd to me -even if they are 'flawed', why have we never heard of 'semi-precious' rubies before now ?

I wonder if they are just synthetic rubies and the wrong term (semi precious) was used?

LaRae

Synthetic Rubies are 'a thing', but 'natural' ones that size and colour are eye-wateringly rare, and correspondingly expensive - £149 ????

It seems VERY odd to me -even if they are 'flawed', why have we never heard of 'semi-precious' rubies before now ?

Probably because they invented the description I expect!

I just googled for info & it seems you can buy low grade natural rubies fairly cheaply (esp wholesale) but they are heat treated to fill in the cracks (something like that). Maybe that's why they don't label them 'precious stones'.

That description is horrendous. Sparking crystals? Must be the marcasite/fake marcasite? Why not call it that? Ot they could mean the ruby is set within a sparkling crystal.

To me, that looks a lot like a doublet. Some kind of ruby matrix as a thin slab with faceted quartz on top of it. That's how you get that clarity on top of such rich color. I actually like doublets like this - they make big juicy looking stones affordable. I KNOW the site does not mention a doublet. JMO.

Last edited:
That description is horrendous. Sparking crystals? Must be the marcasite/fake marcasite? Why not call it that? Ot they could mean the ruby is set within a sparkling crystal.

To me, that looks a lot like a doublet. Some kind of ruby matrix as a thin slab with faceted quartz on top of it. That's how you get that clarity on top of such rich color. I actually like doublets like this - they make big juicy looking stones affordable. I KNOW the site does not mention a doublet. JMO.

I think you are right. I think they were a great choice for the sparkly party dress. Not anywhere near a formal occasion look, but a festive, eyecatching one.

I wondered about this too, but even for a doublet, the price/size ratio seems a little off. That's very inexpensive for even a low quality corundum doublet in that size x 2. They are lovely, though.

And new Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra jewelry. Camilla is also a fan. Wonder if it’s a gift from Charles, or a wedding gift from someone like Prince Albert of Monaco (Charlene wears the line).

Last edited:
Not a fan of the necklace and earrings, but the ring is gorgeous. :D

I think the necklace and earrings are not being shown at their best with the gold decorative aspects to this gown. A block colour dress would be much better to showcase their shape and delicacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom