The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2016, 08:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Carl Gustaf has given an interview to Lena Mellin (deputy editor and political commentator) from Aftonbladet.
The king sits at the same couch than he and Silvia Sommerlath on their engagement interview.
Dog Brandie is with the King, who does not think that the couch is comfortable.
– One looks also like a frog while sitting in it.
Parts of the interview:
It's a real celebration spring for the Royal family. 70 anniversary celebrations, at least one christening and the ruby wedding. Which party will be the most fun?
-All events are nice. Births and baptisms are a bit more familiar. For my part, I think that it is always fun to do something for other people. Birthday is a good time to give thanks for what we have experienced for many, many years. You can invite friends, acquaintances, family, Government and, of course, many in the civil service, the official Sweden.
How does it feel to be 70?
– 50 years ago I thought I would not feel so positive and feel as good as I do. One did not know if one would be able to move at all. I am just as curious about life now as then, and look to the future with great confidence. There is a lot left.
What is the most important thing the King does, according to the King's own opinion?
– To be a unifying symbol for the country. It has been in all times. I want to be an apolitical and unbiased person standing in the middle of the village. The Palace is really in the middle of town.
What does the King think of the monarchy's role in modern Sweden?
– A monarchy, and the good relations in a modern democracy, tuning between between them is something special. It is, in modern terms, a trademark of what Sweden wants and stands for. As I see it, the monarchy is a structure, a foundation which also includes culture, history and tradition. A history-less society is very, very fragile.
The King will apparently be Sweden's longest reigning ruler. The current title holder is Magnus Eriksson who ruled Sweden for almost 45 years in the 1300 's. Already this year beats King runner up, great-grandfather Gustaf V. How does it feel?
– We do not know if this will be the case. It is not a matter which I have reflected. I happened to be very young when I took over as King after my grandfather.
– But I have thought about it in a different way. A child knows about at the age of 10 who the King is, that's when they start saying "Hello, King". All over, up to 45 years, has never experienced an other King than me. It makes me proud and a little worried in any way. It is a responsibility.
The King now has four grandchildren and two of them live in Stockholm. How often are the King and Queen are as babysitters?
– I'll be honest, it is not very often. We're fairly busy. I read a recent interview with Princess Madeleine, where she expressed that she as a child missed their parents because we were away so much. It was a real nuisance every time we were going away, it was really difficult for both of us and her. She expressed in this interview and I was really moved. I may not have really understood that it was so. It was maybe a bit tough, we were forced to go away.
What does the King do with his grandchildren?
– They are so small so I'll probably dont't do much yet. Estelle begins, of course, grow to like that maybe you will soon be able to find something.
– Sofia (Prince Carl Philip's wife) was at lunch today, and they will try to do as much as possible themselves. But they also need to get some support and help at some point, a little respiratory pause. All parents need that.
”Alltid roligt att göra något för andra människor” _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet
Translation

Old 04-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope they will will do a group picture as at the thime of Gustav V

Old 04-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Has he? I think he has been and is a walking disaster as monarch. And after seeing him in so many scandals, interviews and the way he speaks to people, then he strikes me as a pretty cold person.

This is not a criticism of the Swedish royal family. I think Victoria/Daniel are great, both as persons and in their roles. Silvia has been a great champion of children's rights, and I really liked Lilian.
I don't think he is a walking disaster but you are right that he has never had the same charisma and easy-going personality as his wife and his eldest daughter. But i try to understand him. His life hasn't been easy since day 1, he lost his father not even 1 year old and practically his mother at the same time. Both Birgitta and Carl Gustaf has talked about how Sibylla was a very bad mother who never cared much for her children, not even her Grandchildren. He had basically no support except a nanny and his sisters and was not well prepaired when he had to succeed his grandfather at the age of 27. I think that has affected him a lot.

Though he could still have studied public affairs and media relations as a King. That would probably have helped him in a lot of interviews and press conferences that he didn't handle very well.

The King, Carl Philip and Madeleine have always been more reserved and kind of shy people while The Queen, Victoria, Daniel and Christina (and Bertil and Lilian when they were alive) have been very charismatic, down to earth and close to the people.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

its now on the Norwegian royal calendar.
Haakon and Mette-Marit will go with King Harald and Queen Sonja
" 4/30/2016 Anniversary
Their Majesties The King and Queen and Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess will be present at the commemoration of H. M. King Carl Gustafs 70th anniversary in Stockholm."
Old 04-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Also TV4 broadcasts program from the king's birthday:
They will send on 30th April a super long Nyhetsmorgon (News morning) of the birthday celebrations. The broadcast ends after the procession has gone to the City Hall at 13.30. The host at the News morning are Jesper Börjesson and Ebba Kleberg von Sydow.
Superlångt Nyhetsmorgon på kungens 70-årsdag - Nyhetsmorgon - tv4.se
Old 04-14-2016, 03:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
its now on the Norwegian royal calendar.
Haakon and Mette-Marit will go with King Harald and Queen Sonja
" 4/30/2016 Anniversary
Their Majesties The King and Queen and Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess will be present at the commemoration of H. M. King Carl Gustafs 70th anniversary in Stockholm."
And Martha-Louise with Ari Behn

kongehuset.no - Offisielt program
Old 04-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wonder if Charles and Camilla will attend?

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-14-2016, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Swedish royal magazine Kungliga magasinet published on Tuesday a special magazine, 180 pages. It has an exclusive interview of the king and unique photos.
https://www.facebook.com/KungligaMag...type=3&theater
Old 04-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Gentry

As far as I remember the Swedish TV has official stream, but it's geoblocked. Are there any news that they would open it for the whole world for the celebrations? Last year the Danish TV did so for 75th birthday of their queen.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Wonder if Charles and Camilla will attend?
Highly doubt it. If any Brits go, I would place my bet on the usual duo of Edward and Sophie. Charles and Camilla very rarely go to events on the continent. They attend things like WA investiture as king.

Edward doesn't have anything on his schedule for April 30th though he is busy the days leading up to it with a handful of DOE awards events.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vojthas View Post
As far as I remember the Swedish TV has official stream, but it's geoblocked. Are there any news that they would open it for the whole world for the celebrations? Last year the Danish TV did so for 75th birthday of their queen.
Geoblocking often has to do with the copyright to the respective program. So it varies. I have watched things like the Nobel festivities in their live stream before. I guess that's possible because the program is produced by SVT, so they own the copyright and can distribute it worldwide. So I hope that it will be the same for the birthday celebrations. There is hope!

Old 04-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

SVT has sent all the big royal celebrations: weddings, christenings etc without geoblocking at their SVTplay during the last years.
Here is the link to the broadcast on 30th April at 09.45 ("Kan ses i hela världen. Kan ses i mobilen" = Can be seen worldwide. Can be seen in mobile.)
Kung Carl XVI Gustaf 70 år - 30 apr 09.45 _ SVT Play
Old 04-19-2016, 06:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Carl Gustaf has given a big interview to swedish TT News Agency, which delivers the interview to newspapers and magazines. Parts of it:
From a tow head with beautiful curls to a hoary headed regent. Ahead of the 70th anniversary King Carl XVI Gustaf looks back on his life and his work and notes that he does not have any plans to retire.
A young man at his grandfather's sickbed. The old man says he feels good, that everyone in the hospital is nice and the nurses take good care of him. He is trying to spread a sense of calm and security. But his grandchild understand that the old body may not be able to do more.
A week later, when the hospital doors slam behind the young man's back he is met by the words:
- The King is dead. Long live the king!
Back to September 1973, the time at the hospital in Helsingborg and the days thereafter. How was it to suddenly become a king in the age of 27?
- I had my time that week to build an inner strength. I understood that I could not take on his role and be like him. I thought: "I am 27 years. I am who I am. I can not change myself."
The day after the old king passed away the new king flew to Stockholm and landed at Bromma.
- I walked into a waiting car and there stood a group of unknown people outside and waved. It was a small, small group but I thought it was so fantastic in any way, they were there for me, to show their sympathy and respect.
In his work the king meets often children and answers questions about what he actually does.
- Those who are most outspoken tend to be ten years old. For them, I usually say that I represent Sweden and the Swedish people. If they do not understand what that means, I say that I travel abroad to tell what Sweden stands for.
Small children have a tendency to exhibit a certain disappointment that the king is not like in the fairy tales.
- If I talk a while with them they understand that I'm just an ordinary person, because I have a family, a wife and children and grandchildren.
From the King's own childhood there are many photos showing a small boy surrounded by his four older sisters.
- It has been told to me that when I was a baby, they had me as a doll and drove around me in the pram.
The current relationship to his sisters the king describes as hearty.
- When we meet, it will be very lively, many discussions where everyone talking at each other. We have fun together.
The king believes that his mother had it pretty difficult as a single parent of five children since her husband died in a plane crash. Surrounded by girls and women she came to the final conclusion that her son needed to spend more time with other boys.
- Therefore, I ended up at boarding school when I was 12-13 years. It was hard the first year, but it also meant freedom. I could be out there and ride, being out in the woods, do much mischief.
The king about his motto: "For Sweden - With the times"
- It means I try to keep up with the development of society and trying to understand what the public wants from a modern king in a modern democratic society. It is about cooperation and harmony.

To have the job of representing a country means having many looks at himself, being watched, reviewed and criticized. How hard it is depends on the context, the king thinks. Hardest he thinks are the things that are "malicious", "insinuating allegations" and what is wrong.
- Sometimes you deserve the criticism and other times you don't.
When it becomes crown princess Victoria's turn to take over the throne, no one knows, but she has already passed the age at which the king was crowned. The king thinks it is good.
- I hope she can be a mother as much as possible and take care of her family, but also that she can have her own interests and friendships, and continue to gain experience.
The king believes in a future for the Swedish monarchy.
- It represents a cultural stability of the nation and also for continuity.
Unlike others who have worked past 65 the king has no plans to retire in the next few years.
- You work as long as you have the energy and health, he says.
He doesn't feel himself as old.
- We Bernadottes often say that we are young at heart. In this way, we never really become old.
Kungen i stor intervju_ Planerar inte att gå i pension än _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEYP1vXr...ged=kungahuset
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEYF1eZR...ged=kungahuset
Old 04-19-2016, 07:07 AM
Nobility

I'm not comfortable about the king's interview about Victoria. Not one word stating she would be a good queen. "Continue to gain experience"? She's been preparing since she was 3. It still seems like Carl Gustaf is stinging from the 1979 decision by the Riksdag to change the succession, stripping Carl Philip of the heir apparent title.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think that the king is very wise in his words. First, like he told at Aftonbladet's interview, he himself hadn't realized how bad especially Madeleine felt, when he and queen Silvia had to leave to their royal duties. So it is great for Estelle and Oscar that their mother isn't the queen yet, although Victoria and Daniel also have royal duties but Victoria doesn't have the responsibility of the Head of State.
And about Victoria preparing herself to become a queen, the world has changed a lot from 1973 when her father became a king. I think that the king remembers well how prepared (or not prepared) he was as becoming a king and wishes perhaps better for his daughter. Nowadays the kings and queens as Head of States are expected to have a big role at the important global issues, although they wouldn't have political power. The king/queen (and other members of the royal family) are expected to promote Swedish economy and industry abroad, to be involved in environmental protection and preventing proverty and so on.
Victoria's work as the Advocate for UN Global Goals is one more valuable experience for her on her way to a Queen.

Besides, why would the king speak about Victoria as a queen, when he isn't going to retire? The Bernadottes live old, there could go at least 10, maybe 20 years when Victoria becomes Queen?

Here is a gallery of the photos taken of the king at the Stenhammar Castle to his 70th birthday interview for TT News Agency.
APA-Picturedesk
Old 04-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

BilledBladet writes, that the Royal House of Belgium has confirmed to them that king Philippe and queen Mathilde will attend at the king's birthday celebration on 30th April.
Dronning Mathilde og kong Philippe fejrer med i Sverige _ BILLED-BLADET
Old 04-21-2016, 08:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning had last week an article about 40 people telling something about king Carl Gustaf before his 70th birthday.
Here are some of them:
Barbro Hultman, author of a royal book "I den kungliga kulissen": "The best the king knows are evenings at home with TV. He likes to watch at sports news, but doesn’t like reality TV-shows, where people are voted out. He doesn't like that people are mean to each other".
Ingemar Eliasson, the former Marshal of the Realm: "The king is extremely experienced and it is not easy to be a advisor to someone who has more experiences than anyone else at the court. He is a humorous person, which often helps. And he has an extremely good memory, the king is like a living archive".
Sara Bull, the producer of TV-program The Year with the Royal Family: "The king has a lot of humor and an ability to see the humor in many situations, which certainly makes his job easier many times. And the king has an eye for details".
Countess Marianne Bernadotte: "He is thoughtful and thorough. Interested in training and sometimes a little frisky".
Grete Qviberg, close friend: "He loves to be on stage, to dress up and to clown. When we were young, it was crazy ..."
Charles Hammarsten, a royal photographer: "The king likes it best in the summer at Solliden, where he has free time and can drive a tractor".
Marianne Bergengren, close friend: "The king is very observant. He could be his own bodyguard".
Johan T Lindwall, Expressen’s royal reporter: "He has a pretty bad morning mood".
An employee at the court: "It's no use to try to give him advice, he decides himself".
A person close to the court: "The king doesn’t like cats. They should be at the stable. He could never have a cat on his knee".
An acquaintance: "The king has no ball sense. He does not play golf or tennis. The only ball sport he plays is the croquet. He has a croquet club with his friends, Royal Swedish Lawn Crocket Club. He, however, is good at riding and skiing".
Persons who wanted to stay totally anonymous, said these: "Has dizziness and therefore does not like heights".
"Weighs 73 kilograms to his 176 centimeters, just as much as when he did his military service".
"Likes to listen loud music at the car, favorites are Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Tomas Ledin and Gyllene Tider".
"Has subscribed to Svensk Damtidning".
"Gustav III is his favorite king".
"Has stopped to smoke, but likes to have a cigar after dinner".
"Likes crayfish, has an impressive repertoire of drinking songs and is happy to lead a song".
"Was a bit tedious and quite strict as a father, but also funny, inventive and playful".
Old 04-21-2016, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

it is now on the Danish royal calendar

H.M. Dronningen, Kronprinsparret samt H.K.H. Prinsesse Benedikte deltager i fejringen af H.M. Kong Carl Gustav af Sveriges 70-års fødselsdag | Kongehuset - Forside
"H. M. Queen, HRH Crown Prince and Princess and HRH Princess Benedikte participate in the celebration of H. M. King Carl Gustav of Sweden's 70th birthday"
Old 04-22-2016, 07:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Juan Carlos and queen Sofia attend
Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Actividades y Agenda - Celebración del 70 cumpleaños de Su Majestad el Rey de Suecia