King Carl XVI Gustaf's 70th Birthday Celebrations: April 25-30, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also TV4 broadcasts program from the king's birthday:
They will send on 30th April a super long Nyhetsmorgon (News morning) of the birthday celebrations. The broadcast ends after the procession has gone to the City Hall at 13.30. The host at the News morning are Jesper Börjesson and Ebba Kleberg von Sydow.
Superlångt Nyhetsmorgon på kungens 70-årsdag - Nyhetsmorgon - tv4.se

Swedish royal magazine Kungliga magasinet published on Tuesday a special magazine, 180 pages. It has an exclusive interview of the king and unique photos.
https://www.facebook.com/KungligaMa...6296853820844/985234204927101/?type=3&theater

SVT has sent all the big royal celebrations: weddings, christenings etc without geoblocking at their SVTplay during the last years.
Here is the link to the broadcast on 30th April at 09.45 ("Kan ses i hela världen. Kan ses i mobilen" = Can be seen worldwide. Can be seen in mobile.)
Kung Carl XVI Gustaf 70 år - 30 apr 09.45 _ SVT Play

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if Charles and Camilla will attend?

As far as I remember the Swedish TV has official stream, but it's geoblocked. Are there any news that they would open it for the whole world for the celebrations? Last year the Danish TV did so for 75th birthday of their queen.

Wonder if Charles and Camilla will attend?

Highly doubt it. If any Brits go, I would place my bet on the usual duo of Edward and Sophie. Charles and Camilla very rarely go to events on the continent. They attend things like WA investiture as king.

Edward doesn't have anything on his schedule for April 30th though he is busy the days leading up to it with a handful of DOE awards events.

As far as I remember the Swedish TV has official stream, but it's geoblocked. Are there any news that they would open it for the whole world for the celebrations? Last year the Danish TV did so for 75th birthday of their queen.
Geoblocking often has to do with the copyright to the respective program. So it varies. I have watched things like the Nobel festivities in their live stream before. I guess that's possible because the program is produced by SVT, so they own the copyright and can distribute it worldwide. So I hope that it will be the same for the birthday celebrations. There is hope! :flowers:

Dana Press photo galleries
SPEZIAL: Bildspezial: Carl Gustaf wird 70: Die schönsten Kindheitsbilder
SPEZIAL: Bildspezial: Carl Gustaf wird 70: Seine schönsten Jugendbilder
SPEZIAL: Bildspezial: Carl Gustaf wird 70: Carl Gustaf und seine Traumhochzeit mit Silvia
SPEZIAL: Bildspezial: Carl Gustaf wird 70: Carl Gustaf als König
SPEZIAL: Bildspezial: König Carl Gustaf wird 70: Carl Gustaf als Papa
SPEZIAL: Bildspezial: König Carl Gustaf wird 70: Die lustigsten Bildern
Spezial: Bildspezial: Carl Gustaf wird 70: Carl Gustaf und seine Enkel

King Carl Gustaf has given a big interview to swedish TT News Agency, which delivers the interview to newspapers and magazines. Parts of it:
From a tow head with beautiful curls to a hoary headed regent. Ahead of the 70th anniversary King Carl XVI Gustaf looks back on his life and his work and notes that he does not have any plans to retire.
A young man at his grandfather's sickbed. The old man says he feels good, that everyone in the hospital is nice and the nurses take good care of him. He is trying to spread a sense of calm and security. But his grandchild understand that the old body may not be able to do more.
A week later, when the hospital doors slam behind the young man's back he is met by the words:
- The King is dead. Long live the king!
Back to September 1973, the time at the hospital in Helsingborg and the days thereafter. How was it to suddenly become a king in the age of 27?
- I had my time that week to build an inner strength. I understood that I could not take on his role and be like him. I thought: "I am 27 years. I am who I am. I can not change myself."
The day after the old king passed away the new king flew to Stockholm and landed at Bromma.
- I walked into a waiting car and there stood a group of unknown people outside and waved. It was a small, small group but I thought it was so fantastic in any way, they were there for me, to show their sympathy and respect.
In his work the king meets often children and answers questions about what he actually does.
- Those who are most outspoken tend to be ten years old. For them, I usually say that I represent Sweden and the Swedish people. If they do not understand what that means, I say that I travel abroad to tell what Sweden stands for.
Small children have a tendency to exhibit a certain disappointment that the king is not like in the fairy tales.
- If I talk a while with them they understand that I'm just an ordinary person, because I have a family, a wife and children and grandchildren.
From the King's own childhood there are many photos showing a small boy surrounded by his four older sisters.
- It has been told to me that when I was a baby, they had me as a doll and drove around me in the pram.
The current relationship to his sisters the king describes as hearty.
- When we meet, it will be very lively, many discussions where everyone talking at each other. We have fun together.
The king believes that his mother had it pretty difficult as a single parent of five children since her husband died in a plane crash. Surrounded by girls and women she came to the final conclusion that her son needed to spend more time with other boys.
- Therefore, I ended up at boarding school when I was 12-13 years. It was hard the first year, but it also meant freedom. I could be out there and ride, being out in the woods, do much mischief.
The king about his motto: "For Sweden - With the times"
- It means I try to keep up with the development of society and trying to understand what the public wants from a modern king in a modern democratic society. It is about cooperation and harmony.

To have the job of representing a country means having many looks at himself, being watched, reviewed and criticized. How hard it is depends on the context, the king thinks. Hardest he thinks are the things that are "malicious", "insinuating allegations" and what is wrong.
- Sometimes you deserve the criticism and other times you don't.
When it becomes crown princess Victoria's turn to take over the throne, no one knows, but she has already passed the age at which the king was crowned. The king thinks it is good.
- I hope she can be a mother as much as possible and take care of her family, but also that she can have her own interests and friendships, and continue to gain experience.
The king believes in a future for the Swedish monarchy.
- It represents a cultural stability of the nation and also for continuity.
Unlike others who have worked past 65 the king has no plans to retire in the next few years.
- You work as long as you have the energy and health, he says.
He doesn't feel himself as old.
- We Bernadottes often say that we are young at heart. In this way, we never really become old.
Kungen i stor intervju_ Planerar inte att gå i pension än _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEYP1vXrAm9/?tagged=kungahuset
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEYF1eZRSWx/?tagged=kungahuset

I'm not comfortable about the king's interview about Victoria. Not one word stating she would be a good queen. "Continue to gain experience"? She's been preparing since she was 3. It still seems like Carl Gustaf is stinging from the 1979 decision by the Riksdag to change the succession, stripping Carl Philip of the heir apparent title.

I think that the king is very wise in his words. First, like he told at Aftonbladet's interview, he himself hadn't realized how bad especially Madeleine felt, when he and queen Silvia had to leave to their royal duties. So it is great for Estelle and Oscar that their mother isn't the queen yet, although Victoria and Daniel also have royal duties but Victoria doesn't have the responsibility of the Head of State.
And about Victoria preparing herself to become a queen, the world has changed a lot from 1973 when her father became a king. I think that the king remembers well how prepared (or not prepared) he was as becoming a king and wishes perhaps better for his daughter. Nowadays the kings and queens as Head of States are expected to have a big role at the important global issues, although they wouldn't have political power. The king/queen (and other members of the royal family) are expected to promote Swedish economy and industry abroad, to be involved in environmental protection and preventing proverty and so on.
Victoria's work as the Advocate for UN Global Goals is one more valuable experience for her on her way to a Queen.

Besides, why would the king speak about Victoria as a queen, when he isn't going to retire? The Bernadottes live old, there could go at least 10, maybe 20 years when Victoria becomes Queen?

Here is a gallery of the photos taken of the king at the Stenhammar Castle to his 70th birthday interview for TT News Agency.
APA-Picturedesk

BilledBladet writes, that the Royal House of Belgium has confirmed to them that king Philippe and queen Mathilde will attend at the king's birthday celebration on 30th April.
Dronning Mathilde og kong Philippe fejrer med i Sverige _ BILLED-BLADET

Svensk Damtidning had last week an article about 40 people telling something about king Carl Gustaf before his 70th birthday.
Here are some of them:
Barbro Hultman, author of a royal book "I den kungliga kulissen": "The best the king knows are evenings at home with TV. He likes to watch at sports news, but doesn’t like reality TV-shows, where people are voted out. He doesn't like that people are mean to each other".
Ingemar Eliasson, the former Marshal of the Realm: "The king is extremely experienced and it is not easy to be a advisor to someone who has more experiences than anyone else at the court. He is a humorous person, which often helps. And he has an extremely good memory, the king is like a living archive".
Sara Bull, the producer of TV-program The Year with the Royal Family: "The king has a lot of humor and an ability to see the humor in many situations, which certainly makes his job easier many times. And the king has an eye for details".
Countess Marianne Bernadotte: "He is thoughtful and thorough. Interested in training and sometimes a little frisky".
Grete Qviberg, close friend: "He loves to be on stage, to dress up and to clown. When we were young, it was crazy ..."
Charles Hammarsten, a royal photographer: "The king likes it best in the summer at Solliden, where he has free time and can drive a tractor".
Marianne Bergengren, close friend: "The king is very observant. He could be his own bodyguard".
Johan T Lindwall, Expressen’s royal reporter: "He has a pretty bad morning mood".
An employee at the court: "It's no use to try to give him advice, he decides himself".
A person close to the court: "The king doesn’t like cats. They should be at the stable. He could never have a cat on his knee".
An acquaintance: "The king has no ball sense. He does not play golf or tennis. The only ball sport he plays is the croquet. He has a croquet club with his friends, Royal Swedish Lawn Crocket Club. He, however, is good at riding and skiing".
Persons who wanted to stay totally anonymous, said these: "Has dizziness and therefore does not like heights".
"Weighs 73 kilograms to his 176 centimeters, just as much as when he did his military service".
"Likes to listen loud music at the car, favorites are Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Tomas Ledin and Gyllene Tider".
"Has subscribed to Svensk Damtidning".
"Gustav III is his favorite king".
"Has stopped to smoke, but likes to have a cigar after dinner".
"Likes crayfish, has an impressive repertoire of drinking songs and is happy to lead a song".
"Was a bit tedious and quite strict as a father, but also funny, inventive and playful".

Given the political crisis in Spain, it would be inappropriate for King Felipe VI to attend. I guess King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia were the obvious replacements.

I think its fine that the old Kings attend. Its their generation anyway and the SRF is not as friendly as the nordic RFs among themselves what makes the younger generation attend, too.

Juan Carlos and Sofia have always had a good relationship with Silvia and Carl Gustaf. I remember that in the book that Queen Silvia wrote about her life back in the 90's, she had many photos of their state visits and captioned it saying that they got along very well and spent a lot of time laughing. She was able to converse with them in Spanish and she and JC have the same sense of humor.

interesting to see that juan carlos is also attending - i would never have guessed!

Crown princess Margareta and prince Radu will attend at the birthday celebrations. They have also other events in Sweden, for instance Margareta visits the Red Cross.
Custodele Coroanei și Principele Radu, vizită în Suedia _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania
Translation

There will be a number of photo and media positions in connection to the celebrations of The King’s 70th birthday. The celebrations start on Monday April 25, and end on April 30.
Allocation of seats for photo and media positions at the celebration of The King’s 70th birthday - Sveriges Kungahus

I am happy JC and Sofia are going. It would be nice to see Paola/Alberta and Beatrix go as well. For a birthday, makes sense for his contemporaries to attend.

Yes it would be great to see Albert,Paola and Beatrix all in attendance ,King Juan Carlos rarely attended these events when he was monarch so its nice to see his name on the list.

I am happy JC and Sofia are going. It would be nice to see Paola/Alberta and Beatrix go as well. For a birthday, makes sense for his contemporaries to attend.

Philippe and Mathilde are supposed to attend, so it is unlikely that Albert and Paola will go too. We don't know yet who will represent the Netherlands, so I guess Beatrix is still a possibility.

Philippe and Mathilde are supposed to attend, so it is unlikely that Albert and Paola will go too. We don't know yet who will represent the Netherlands, so I guess Beatrix is still a possibility.

10 years for the 60th birthday celebrations both Albert and Paola and Philippe and Mathilde attended. But i think it is unlikely that Albert and Paola attend this year as the have almost no offical Events and also seem to have some health problems.
For the Netherlands i think it is very well possible that Willem-Alexander and Maxima and Beatrix attend.
It is also not known yet whio will attend from Luxembourg an if Monaco will be represented.

Last edited:
I had forgotten about Monaco Stefan,didn't Princess Caroline attend the Kings 60th Birthday?

Princess Caroline was at CG's 50th and Prince Albert was at the 60th.

For the Netherlands i think it is very well possible that Willem-Alexander and Maxima and Beatrix attend.

There is nothing on the Dutch royal calender for the last days of April, so I suspect WA ad Máxima will go, perhaps together with Beatrix. Queen Juliana also went to the big birthdays of king Carl Gustav after her abdication.

There is nothing on the Dutch royal calender for the last days of April, so I suspect WA ad Máxima will go, perhaps together with Beatrix. Queen Juliana also went to the big birthdays of king Carl Gustav after her abdication.
That's why i think Beatrix will joiin them. But ofcourse Juliana was Carl Gustaf's godmother
Wonder who will attend from Luxembourg as on the the Sunday after the celebrations the have the closing of the Octave and Guillame and Stephanie will start an ecnomy Tour to China that day.
!0 years ago also Fürst Hans Adam of Liechtenstein attended

I wonder who from the British Royal Family will come.

interesting to see that juan carlos is also attending - i would never have guessed!
It will be funny to see these two walking together like an old couple, after everything that has come to light about this marriage. Is this the first outing together after the abdication?

It will be funny to see these two walking together like an old couple, after everything that has come to light about this marriage. Is this the first outing together after the abdication?

No. They attended the funerals of Queen Fabiola, the Duchess of Alba and the Duke of Calabria and Kardam of Bulgaria.

No more funny than seeing Carl Gustav and Silvia together after everything that has come to light about their marriage.

You seem not follow the couple very closely. There were plenty of occasions with the two of them together and they seem happier than ever.

Back
Top Bottom