The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Royal Highness

I watched most of it on Swedish television, and I enjoyed the coverage.

I also switched to Norwegian and Danish channels and they where much more critical. Norwegian television/media talks about the unpopular scandal King and empty streets in the good weather during the cortege. They don't understand that we live 2016, and that it's no longer common with large crowds during royal ceremonies.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post

I also switched to Norwegian and Danish channels and they where much more critical. Norwegian television/media talks about the unpopular scandal King and empty streets in the good weather during the cortege. They don't understand that we live 2016, and that it's no longer common with large crowds during royal ceremonies.

I guess the Norwegian TV does have a point though. Many people feel those kinds of lavish royal ceremonies are no longer appropriate in this day and age.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

That was a rude description from them. The King is not that unpopular. I thought it was quite a lot of people outside. Some so called "court experts" om tv and in newspapers need to realise that we live in 2016 and not in 1946. These days many people follow the celebrations through media instead of standing on the streets and waving with flags.

Some media people needs a huge reality check.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Aftonbladet give 5+ to Madeleine, Mary, Victoria, and Silvia tonight:

http://www.theyouway.com/fashion/new...n#xtor=AD-500-[theyouway]-[tf__1604]-[integration]-[aftonbladet]-[ettan]-[32]
Old 04-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Desiree wore this rarely seen tiara Tiara Mania: Diamond Tiara
Old 04-30-2016, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

The King's 70th birthday commemorative medal "Konung Carl XVI Gustafs jubileumsminnestecken med anledning av 70-årsdagen", which many of the guests wore this evening.
Medalj.nu -Konung Carl XVI Gustafs jubileumsminnestecken med anledning av 70-årsdagen CXVIG_sJmtIII

Daniel and Estelle
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0300010080...20476902219893
Old 04-30-2016, 05:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneugeba View Post
That's not one of the mystical magical golden poppies is it?
I fear that it may be!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Estelle is so sassy! I'd love to meet her. She looked very pretty today and she always looks like she's enjoying every minute. Loved the moment where Mary asked Daniel to take a photo of her and Estelle.

Victoria and Madeleine both looked beautiful today and Sofia looks lovely. Considering she had a baby recently she looked lovely.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Videos
Victoria's speech on Friday evening:
Se kronprinsessan Victorias känslosamma tal till pappa kungen _ SVT.se

Victoria and Oscar
Prins Oscars första officiella framträdande – firar med morfar kungen _ SVT Play

From Lejonbacken
Här firar Estelle och Oscar morfar kungen _ SVT Play

Te Deum
Kungens 70 års firande_ Te Deum

"Princess Estelle stole the Show"
Prinsessan Estelle stjäl showen!

EDIT
Group photo from the banquet from court's press website
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200....set.se.JPG.jpg
Old 04-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneugeba View Post
That's not one of the mystical magical golden poppies is it?
I think it is ! I would love to see a better photo , te same I would love to see a good photo of the medal everybody has
Old 04-30-2016, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Countess Madeleine Bernadotte with a tiara ?
The von Rosen tiara ??
Old 04-30-2016, 07:03 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I think it is ! I would love to see a better photo , te same I would love to see a good photo of the medal everybody has
The Court has posted a picture here. The medal consists of the King's monogram in gold.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Lovely ! Such a good looking family !
Old 04-30-2016, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thank you to those who shared the photos and videos of today's celebrations. It's so nice that little Oscar made an apperaence earlier on in the day, I wasn't expecting that so it was an adorable surprise. I wonder why Nicholas and or Leonore weren't there, I was also surprised to see that they were absent since both Madeleine and Chris were present. It's also great to see lots of other royals at the gala tonight. I'm a little disappointed that a British represenatitive wasn't there, but the BRF don't often show up at European events.

I love the clip of Mary taking a photo with Estelle, and the photo of Chris being affectionate towards Oscar. Those were both so heartwarming, but there were many other lovely moments from today too. Sofia looked great (and very happy as well ), I agree that it's hard to tell she only recently gave birth. I apologise if this has already been posted about, I've been out all day and haven't been able to follow most of the celebrations, but did Spain send anyone to the gala tonight?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Madeleine was the definite knockout in all. Sylvia needs to stop wearing red.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Madeleine was the definite knockout in all. Sylvia needs to stop wearing red.

Group picture.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:

also Sweden was under high terror alert.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wish we could have seen Princess Sofia in another tiara occasion this evening, but she made the right call.

Victoria looks incredible- I always like her in Lillian's tiara.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-30-2016, 11:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Xenia View Post
Queen Mathilde looks gorgeous in her purple gown
I think her new hairstyle makes her look younger.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
That was a rude description from them. The King is not that unpopular. I thought it was quite a lot of people outside. Some so called "court experts" om tv and in newspapers need to realise that we live in 2016 and not in 1946. These days many people follow the celebrations through media instead of standing on the streets and waving with flags.

Some media people needs a huge reality check.
I also thought that there was quite a lot of people at the Palace and even at the gates following the king and queen at their procession to the City Hall. Some people surely stayed home because of the news of the Isis-terrorists having come to Sweden. And nowadays it is so easy to follow these kind of events in TV and internet, they are broadcasted so well and you see everything much better than standing at the street.

The king's birthday gala at the Royal Palace lasted into the morning. According to information given to Aftonbladet, it was the king himself who had decided that the party would last until six o'clock on Sunday morning and there is nothing unusual - the king is known to love to party.
Among the special guests invited to the 70th birthday party were royals, representatives of official Sweden as well as private friends.
After dinner in the Hall of State the guests walked into the White Sea, where the party orchestra Cotton Club, the evening's house band began to play. Moreover, the gang from "Mamma Mia! The party" at the Tyrol to the party and offered an Abba show.
Party leader Ebba Busch Thor wrote on Twitter that the king played electric guitar, fantastic party.
After more than two hours Anders Wickman took over the dance floor, the DJ whom the King had hired also when he and Queen Silvia celebrated their silver wedding. But this was no one-man show. Anders Wickman had with him five musicians playing instruments such as congas, bongos, trumpet, maracas and in addition they had two saxophones.
Amidst all the king himself jumped up on stage to jam with the musicians.
- One moment he holds the microphone and sings, and the other moment he had a trumpet in his hand, and then an air guitar, tells a party participant about the king's unexpected show.
King sang in songs like "Upside Down" by Diana Ross and "September" by Earth, Wind & Fire.
DJ Anders Wickman started with the song "The Boss" with Diana Ross and then played most house music and some classic tunes from artists like Michael Jackson, Earth, Wind & Fire and Barry White.
Shortly before the party ended an accident occurred within the castle grounds.
- There is someone who has fallen into a staircase at Slottsbacken. An elderly person has hit his head and bleeds, says Raymond Winberg on emergency services.
It was full speed during the 70-birthday party until the early hours.
- It has been a very pleasant evening. It has been very much fun, but more than that I can not say, says King's childhood friend Noppe Lewenhaupt on the way out from the Palace.
Så var kungens 70-årsfest – ”Kungen jammade på scen” _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Galleries from Zimbio
The Swedish Armed Forces Celebration - King Carl Gustaf of Sweden Celebrates His 70th Birthday
Te Deum Thanksgiving Service Arrivals - King Carl Gustaf of Sweden Celebrates His 70th Birthday