The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The problem isn´t his visit to the strip club. The problem is that the king might be have been lying. He denied at an interview that he ever visited a strip club. He also denied that there would be any questionable photos (taken at Mille Markovic´s club, Markovic says there are at least three photos) of him celebrating with naked women. If it can be proven that the king has lied to his people, how can he continue as king?

Expressen writes that the police has found one of Mille Markovics alleged scandal pictures of King Carl Gustaf. The image was, according to Expressen, the usb stick that was confiscated by the police when Markovic was arrested on suspicion of assault.
Polisen har hittat bild på kungen - Expressen avslöjar - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translate
IMHO opinion the king didnt lie, he said "I dont think so". He did not go out pointing fingers at everyone like Clinton and said "I have never been to a strip club owned by that man, mr Markovics"

Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

King denies strip club visits and mob contacts - Radio Sweden | Sveriges Radio

Political commentator Peter Wolodarski drew parallels with the Monica Lewinsky scandal involving President Clinton. “By giving the press interview, the king of Sweden has multiplied interest in his own crisis. It is the truth which will now dictate what happens.”
King's sexual proclivities confound even Swedes - Washington Times

Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Aristocracy

i think that the king should be quiet. if he talks, he will buried himself more.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you very much for the link to the 'Washington Post' article, LadyFinn.
It strikes me as a serious, intelligent and no-nonsense analysis of the current situation which remains difficult, particularly due to the complete denial of any misconduct by The King himself, just as pointed out by LadyFinn before.
If one reads the transcript of the interview again, he indeed denied ever having visited a strip club of the kind he was accused of frequenting, and said that no such photos as the compromising ones which are always mentioned could possibly exist; definitely an ill-advised step, the interview and these statements will most likely come back to haunt him.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Majesty

If the King is proven to have lied, he should abdicate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
It strikes me as a serious, intelligent and no-nonsense analysis of the current situation which remains difficult, particularly due to the complete denial of any misconduct by The King himself, just as pointed out by LadyFinn before.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Nobility

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
All this is such an unworthy conduct of a Royal House.
I couldn´t agree more. But what about if Mille Markovic and reporters in the scandal media have lied? What can the Royal Court do? I would say: Nothing! HM the King can´t defend against such persons as Mille Markovic.

Since I do not know how much we can blame the Tennert I do not know what to say. It is well known that the king does not like to receive advice ...
Old 06-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Courtier

Perhaps the King should not say anything at all whether he is guilty or not. Once you start making comments to the press about your personal life it is expected that you do so every time something is published in the press.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellad View Post
Perhaps the King should not say anything at all whether he is guilty or not. Once you start making comments to the press about your personal life it is expected that you do so every time something is published in the press.
Exactly. And when you dont say anything, you cant lie or be held to account.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:07 AM
Courtier

Too bad they found that that is the best strategy too late. We could have been spared of the interview, if someone was thinking before acting.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps this "baring of the soul is the beginning of a new trend for Scandinavian monarchies?

On the other hand, the saying "Never complain, never explain" can be useful....
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
If the King is proven to have lied, he should abdicate.
If he lied about Affairs of State, he should abdicate. If he lied about his personal life, he should not abdicate.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
If he lied about Affairs of State, he should abdicate. If he lied about his personal life, he should not abdicate.
I dont think its about a forced abdication but - provided that he lied - its about a lying monarch detested and ridiculed by a majority of the public what will drag down the standing of the monarchy to a very, very low level.
And with time passing, people will ask themselves, do we need monarchy if this person in charge lives well off our money but doesnt show any moral standards?

The whole thing is dangerous because people might say monarchy = Carl Gustaf = never again.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't have a dog in the fight, so I'm not going to belabor the point.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Nobility

The King will not abdicate

The King will not abdicate because of unsubstantiated claims. The media drive treats the king as a politician, or possibly a major executive. Media forget that the King is not a politician or a director. I do not know how many pundits and other political science educated people who seem to have forgotten this. Can you imagine that the monarch abdicates in favor of his daughter the Crown Princess, to avoid personal discomfort or satisfy a "moral majority" as it appears in the media? Would it somehow satisfy bloodhounds in the drive? Of course not! Then the king's any moral missteps forever written into the ruler length. It would neither benefit the king in person or monarchy. If the king earlier should hava had plans to abdicate, he indeed must wait. The more the media continues with its exaggerated unsubstantiated allegations, the more firmly seated the king on the throne. (The exception that the King would be accused of crimes against national security, but there have been no such accusations).
Old 06-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Serene Highness

Someone if they wanted to could make Snow White or Cinderella immoral. Or make an issue out of a non-issue because you don't like that person or they don't like their ex-boyfriend or their friends, so they make them into an issue. This usually backfires. It look like those not actually in politics are keeping this up as this is not coming from the Swedish parliment or the PM.

I guess there must not be much news in Sweden as this story comes up over and over again.

Those who do this beware as it could come back on you. A person who repeatedly criticizes someone and attacks others for moral failings usually have their own moral failings and sometimes theirs is worse. You see this happen in American politics all the time. The one who yell the loudest are the worst offenders.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Commoner

It's actually look like a well organize smear campaign than a scandal, the media take some rumors and gossip (usually with little proof or none at all), print it again and again until its blown into a scandal and then use the media buzz to force their target out of his position/job

[On a side note I should mention I know almost nothing about the Swedish media, so I can't speculate on her motives or usual standards of conducts but I definitely see a pattern in this artificial scandal]

Until hard proofs are presented which verify those accusations as truth one should be extremely careful in believing them.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Majesty

A lie is a lie. A person who lies isn't a person people can trust. A monarch should be trust-worthy IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Old 06-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta

I agree, KittyAtlanta
I find many parallels between HM King Carl XVI Gustaf's current situation with that of similar situation of a former US President. A Head of State's personal life and personal business is simply none of our business. If a HoS lies about happenings in his/her personal life it is because it is none of our business. With the 24/7 news cycle, precious time must be filled with the media-blitz on the flavor of the day/week/month...
It is HM's own personal business with whom he is keeping company - it has no bearing on his/her abilities as a HoS. So many past Heads of State had had numerous affairs, most without the public's knowledge. Who made us the morality police?
KittyAtlanta's post stated her opinion on this topic, and I totally agree with her!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962
A lie is a lie. A person who lies isn't a person people can trust. A monarch should be trust-worthy IMO.

Huh?? Everybody lies. Again, we all lie. All of us - everybody - lies!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:03 AM
Nobility

He may have kept the truth from his people as it was his own personal life. Not everyone are perfect little prince or princess, I am pretty sure that all of you including myself are not perfect and never will be. He did what he did, people may not like it but it is done, it is in the past

Tags
controversy, king carl gustav, king carl xvi gustav