King Carl Gustaf Controversy: 2010-2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It doesn't matter whether or not the King committed a crime or not. What matters is whether or not he has the support of the people, and if only 44% of people in Sweden want him to remain King, then he's lost the support of the people and should abdicate...
Thats one of the stupidest thing i read. You are aware that President Obama support in several poll been below 44%? GWB hardly ahd any over 44% for his last 2-3 years? and several US Presidents actually was elected with less than 44%?

janb said:
Thats one of the stupidest thing i read. You are aware that President Obama support in several poll been below 44%? GWB hardly ahd any over 44% for his last 2-3 years? and several US Presidents actually was elected with less than 44%?

One cannot make a correlation between an elected head of state and a head of state who inherits a title. You are comparing apples to oranges. Yes, both are fruit, but apples will/can never be oranges, and vice versa.The contrast and comparison of the current Swedish monarch and the current President of the US simply cannot be made as they have met their fate in life under completely different circumstances.

Tabloids can turn EVERYTHING-even apples and oranges

One cannot make a correlation between an elected head of state and a head of state who inherits a title. You are comparing apples to oranges. Yes, both are fruit, but apples will/can never be oranges, and vice versa.The contrast and comparison of the current Swedish monarch and the current President of the US simply cannot be made as they have met their fate in life under completely different circumstances.

My dear, the Swedish monarchy has 72 percent of the population that supports it in a survey conducted ESSENTIAL that Republican media bobarderat us with fragmentary unconfirmed rumors about ... nothing!

Last edited:

King Carl Gustaf addressed the issue at a press conference at a hunt a short time later, neither confirming nor denying the allegations, but stating "I’ve talked with my family and the Queen. We will turn the page and go on now, because as I understand, this is about things that happened a long time ago."

If thats what he said then he most definitely cheated on Silvia. Gosh this royal family is becoming a poppy show! Even after all this I don't think he should abdicate. This royal family needs a serious makeover.

Karisma said:
My dear, the Swedish monarchy has 72 percent of the population that supports it in a survey conducted ESSENTIAL that Republican media bobarderat us with lösrykta unconfirmed rumors about ... nothing!

I do not think you understood the point of my post because your response to my post simply does not make sense. King/Queen of Sweden is simply born into their destiny, while the President of the US is elected into his role as such. It would require many legal processes to abolish the monarchy in Sweden. Americans can rid themselves of their President in no longer than 4 years. I myself hope the Swedish monarchy will still exist for many, many years to come!

If thats what he said then he most definitely cheated on Silvia. Gosh this royal family is becoming a poppy show! Even after all this I don't think he should abdicate. This royal family needs a serious makeover.

The king can not possibly comment on piecemeal unconfirmed rumors that could not be added to the evidence.

But the Republican club in Sweden are doing all they can to fuel the debate on what so far is nothing more than rumors. I think not one you or me would like the royals answered all questions about rumors because the mysteries of the royal life would disappear.

On the question of "makeover" I think it would be better to start it with some other royal families.

I do not think you understood the point of my post because your response to my post simply does not make sense. King/Queen of Sweden is simply born into their destiny, while the President of the US is elected into his role as such. It would require many legal processes to abolish the monarchy in Sweden. Americans can rid themselves of their President in no longer than 4 years. I myself hope the Swedish monarchy will still exist for many, many years to come!

I understand you probably partially in all cases. The Swedish monarchy has 72 percent support in the population. If the monarchy for a long time would be at a confidence level around 44 percent, so would the monarchy be abolished in Sweden.

Last edited:
Karisma said:
The king can not possibly comment on piecemeal unconfirmed rumors that could not be added to the evidence.

But the Republican club in Sweden are doing all they can to fuel the debate on what so far is nothing more than rumors. I think not one you or me would like the royals answered all questions about rumors because the mysteries of the royal life would disappear.

On the question of "makeover" I think it would be better to start it with some other royal families.

I understand you probably partially in all cases. The Swedish monarchy has 72 percent support in the population. If the monarchy for a long time would be at a confidence level around 44 percent, so would the monarchy be abolished in Sweden.

Karisma,
The point you are attempting to make is really about President Barack Obama of the US. Information/Polls on the current US president and/or of past US presidents simply does not belong in a forum for conversing on royalty.

Let's not call each other names. We're both Swedish and are civilized.

Yes, I follow politics closely and am well aware of Obama's dismal approval ratings and W's dismal ratings as well.

It shows my point: Obama does not have the support of a majority of Americans, and so he should not be able to remain President after November 2012. Similarly, Bush was deeply unpopular, and no way would he have won reelection if he had been able to run for a third term.

If we had presidents such as Obama and Bush and if they could remain in office for life despite being so unpopular, then people would think about changing the system of government so that we could get rid of them. Same goes for a monarchy.

(And yes, a few presidents have won election with 44% or so of the vote, but when they took office, they had much higher support. Obama won only 53% of the vote but his support once he became President was very high, even among Republicans.)

CSENYC said:
Let's not call each other names. We're both Swedish and are civilized.

Yes, I follow politics closely and am well aware of Obama's dismal approval ratings and W's dismal ratings as well.

It shows my point: Obama does not have the support of a majority of Americans, and so he should not be able to remain President after November 2012. Similarly, Bush was deeply unpopular, and no way would he have won reelection if he had been able to run for a third term.

If we had presidents such as Obama and Bush and if they could remain in office for life despite being so unpopular, then people would think about changing the system of government so that we could get rid of them. Same goes for a monarchy.

(And yes, a few presidents have won election with 44% or so of the vote, but when they took office, they had much higher support. Obama won only 53% of the vote but his support once he became President was very high, even among Republicans.)

I am only trying to understand the power the Swedish monarch actually has over the Swedish government and even the Swedish people as well. I have read many on numerous occasions the British royal family simply do not publicly ally themselves to any political party or to any candidate in the UK, or probably not anywhere else.

NotHRH said:
I am only trying to understand the power the Swedish monarch actually has over the Swedish government and even the Swedish people as well. I have read many on numerous occasions the British royal family simply do not publicly ally themselves to any political party or to any candidate in the UK, or probably not anywhere else.

Does HM really possess any political/governmental power within Sweden? Or is his true power basically based on emotions (he is endeared by his 'subjects')?

Last edited by a moderator:
Constitution Act of 1974

The governing procedures of The King remained the same from 1809 to 1974 when the Constitution Act was enacted. According to the new act The King should no longer “Rule the Kingdom alone". The new introduction states that “All public power in Sweden derives from the people".

A Symbol for Sweden

Today, Sweden has a constitutional monarchy, which means that the monarch's duties are regulated by the constitution.
According to the Swedish constitution, the King as Head of State is the country´s foremost representative and symbol. The King's duties are primarily ceremonial and representative.

The Monarchy in Sweden - Sveriges Kungahus

Is it?

Originally Posted by Karisma

Karisma,
The point you are attempting to make is really about President Barack Obama of the US. Information/Polls on the current US president and/or of past US presidents simply does not belong in a forum for conversing on royalty.

Is it? I never understood it in this way. Someone did in posts previously had a correlation and I tried, though English is not my native language, explaining that there was a difference. In your quote, by me, I really do not understand that it would have with the U.S. president to do. I'm sorry if it is perceived that way.

It is fair to say that most monarchs (incl. the Swedish king) has a higher support rate than most elected presidents. I guess it is one of the most important pro-monarchy arguments that exist. However, this is not the thread for this particular debate. You can discuss it at length in the monarchy vs. republic thread in the general royal discussion forum.

Mille Markovic met the reporter of Expressen last week in Belgrade.
Markovic showed him from a laptop up a third picture of the king in an embarrassing situation. It looked to be taken at the same time as the previous two, but from a different angle. The technical quality was good. It is of course impossible to gauge the image's authenticity, without first reviewed by experts in image analysis, but just like the two images Expressen previously been allowed to the new image appears to be authentic.
What are we looking at the pictures?
- We see an erotic show, the highest (= the king) sitting and enjoying the party, said Markovic.

Mille Markovic was arrested and released. He was accused of threatening a police. The police is investigationg Markovic´s phones and computers.
Mille Markovic said last night to Expressen:
- They still have a computer and two mobile phones. I do not care if they could find some picture proof. If the police do it so it is genuine evidence. However, I am worried that the police may be planting false evidence. It is the only thing I worry about.
Markovic visar en ny bild på sin dator - Expressen avslöjar - Senaste nytt | Expressen

Video of Markovic´s interview:
ExpressenTV
http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/avslojar/1.2474014/markovic-visar-en-ny-bild-pa-sin-dator

I would think that if one was accused of something and they didn't do what they were accused of that they certainly would say something one way or another. Sometimes ignoring it or hoping the story will go away doesn't always work.

If the person who made the remarks is making a false statement or lying, they will try to back peddle. When asked for specifics or other information, they can't tell you. Sometimes they believe what they say but can't prove it. Sometimes it just out of meanness or has political overtones to it.

Aftonbladet met Mille Markovic yesterday. He said that the police arrested him without any basis - just to get his computer.
Yesterday afternoon, the prosecutor decided to discontinue the preliminary investigation.
- It was alleged that he threatened a police officer by telephone, but a crime can´t be proved, said prosecutor Åke Olsson.
Markovic said that a friend of his contacted a lawyer when he was arrested.
- The lawyer was sitting at the police station, but the police told him that I didn´t want any lawyer. It is completely absurd.
Attorney Johan Rainer confirms this, he was at the police station and he was told that Markovic didn´t want his help, but wanted to defend himself.
The King has in an interview denied that any photo material exists. Markovic says that he will soon publish the material on a website where anyone can buy access to it.
- Then will people see and the guilty will have to answer for their sins.
Polisen ville bara ha datorn | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Last edited:
The king should keep quiet

Mille Markovic has seven full pages of his police record in police custody in Sweden. There are many reasons why one of Sweden's most serious criminals are arrested. This should make all reasonable honest people to be wary and do not require the king's departure along with these corrupt journalists and the Mafia, as they apparently have teamed up with.

The absurdity of this is that it is possible to defame the king how much any time. It depends on our freedom of speech in Sweden - one of our four constitutions. But the royal family can not defend themselves, because then all at once much worse. And that's only if the king himself is in the authors for defamation, as it can get trial. And if so, would the royal family provide PR for books, articles and rogue "lobbyists" for millions of dollars. And significance. Obviously the catch 22.

It is clear that the king should keep quiet

It is clear that the king should keep quiet

I think an overwhelming majority on this forum (including me) agrees with you.

My question is: if people like most posters, who are amateurs with regard to public relations, agree on that opinion, probably based on instinct, why does the one person, who is employed and paid for doing the job of Director of Information, an expert so to say, agree on a desastrous interview of the King where he openly disgraces himself with an embarrassing performance, badly prepared, in front of the cameras, answering absurd questions like how to define a strip club.

There are only two solutions, either Ternert, the Director of Information, took the ill-advised decision to go ahead with an interview. Or the King is so deluded that he is immune to any advice to better keep quiet, especially as already the interview at the hunting lodge a few weeks earlier had gone wrong.

In both cases, the key is the position of Mr. Ternert. Either he needs to be sacked and replaced because he is a failure in his job, or he needs to be sacked and NOT be replaced, because the King doesnt listen to the Director of Information anyway, why employ a person in the first place?

All this is such an unworthy conduct of a Royal House.

Hello,

I've been reading the posts on this thread for awhile and it's got me thinking. If and I think it's a big if the old PR cheif Elizabeth T-W was still working as PR cheif would this situation have got as bad as it is now? Because I get the impression from people here that HM actually listened to her.

I'm asking this because she was head of PR before I came here and I've only seen her two shody successors.

Well if every man who ever went to a strip club, were to resign his position, we would not have any unemployment in the world :). This has been blown WAY out of proportion. It should only be an issue between him and the Queen. It may not be the wisest decision, but he hasn't joined a pedophile ring or killed anyone, so I think the media should CALM DOWN.

Well if every man who ever went to a strip club, were to resign his position, we would not have any unemployment in the world :). This has been blown WAY out of proportion. It should only be an issue between him and the Queen. It may not be the wisest decision, but he hasn't joined a pedophile ring or killed anyone, so I think the media should CALM DOWN.

The problem isn´t his visit to the strip club. The problem is that the king might be have been lying. He denied at an interview that he ever visited a strip club. He also denied that there would be any questionable photos (taken at Mille Markovic´s club, Markovic says there are at least three photos) of him celebrating with naked women. If it can be proven that the king has lied to his people, how can he continue as king?

Expressen writes that the police has found one of Mille Markovics alleged scandal pictures of King Carl Gustaf. The image was, according to Expressen, the usb stick that was confiscated by the police when Markovic was arrested on suspicion of assault.
Polisen har hittat bild på kungen - Expressen avslöjar - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translate

The problem isn´t his visit to the strip club. The problem is that the king might be have been lying. He denied at an interview that he ever visited a strip club. He also denied that there would be any questionable photos (taken at Mille Markovic´s club, Markovic says there are at least three photos) of him celebrating with naked women. If it can be proven that the king has lied to his people, how can he continue as king?

Expressen writes that the police has found one of Mille Markovics alleged scandal pictures of King Carl Gustaf. The image was, according to Expressen, the usb stick that was confiscated by the police when Markovic was arrested on suspicion of assault.
Polisen har hittat bild på kungen - Expressen avslöjar - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translate

IMHO opinion the king didnt lie, he said "I dont think so". He did not go out pointing fingers at everyone like Clinton and said "I have never been to a strip club owned by that man, mr Markovics"

Last edited:
i think that the king should be quiet. if he talks, he will buried himself more.

Thank you very much for the link to the 'Washington Post' article, LadyFinn.
It strikes me as a serious, intelligent and no-nonsense analysis of the current situation which remains difficult, particularly due to the complete denial of any misconduct by The King himself, just as pointed out by LadyFinn before.
If one reads the transcript of the interview again, he indeed denied ever having visited a strip club of the kind he was accused of frequenting, and said that no such photos as the compromising ones which are always mentioned could possibly exist; definitely an ill-advised step, the interview and these statements will most likely come back to haunt him.

If the King is proven to have lied, he should abdicate.

It strikes me as a serious, intelligent and no-nonsense analysis of the current situation which remains difficult, particularly due to the complete denial of any misconduct by The King himself, just as pointed out by LadyFinn before.

Agree

All this is such an unworthy conduct of a Royal House.

I couldn´t agree more. But what about if Mille Markovic and reporters in the scandal media have lied? What can the Royal Court do? I would say: Nothing! HM the King can´t defend against such persons as Mille Markovic.

Since I do not know how much we can blame the Tennert I do not know what to say. It is well known that the king does not like to receive advice ...

Last edited:
Perhaps the King should not say anything at all whether he is guilty or not. Once you start making comments to the press about your personal life it is expected that you do so every time something is published in the press.

Perhaps the King should not say anything at all whether he is guilty or not. Once you start making comments to the press about your personal life it is expected that you do so every time something is published in the press.

Exactly. And when you dont say anything, you cant lie or be held to account.

:previous: Too bad they found that that is the best strategy too late. We could have been spared of the interview, if someone was thinking before acting.

Perhaps this "baring of the soul is the beginning of a new trend for Scandinavian monarchies?

On the other hand, the saying "Never complain, never explain" can be useful....

Back
Top Bottom