General News about King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a King recognizes a King

I hope everything is alright with Zlatan? Usually he'd say 'God recognizes a King' :D

So the King is having an affair with another woman, again?

Last edited:
What a man this king Juan Carlos! 1000 lovers!

I read somewhere that Juan Carlos had an affair with this woman Maria Gaya

I think now that it is more a friendship than an affair, Juan Carlos is perhaps too old.

And queen Sofia in Palma de Mallorca doting with all her grandchildren.

And queen Sofia in Palma de Mallorca doting with all her grandchildren.

Who knows what she does behind closed doors, image is everything ;)

Regarding Marta Gaya, there has been a rumoured affair since the 70s, maybe they rekindled it or it never stopped.
And who cares, it's not only since Corinna-gate common knowledge that the marriage of the Kings only existed on paper for decades, since his various illnesses King JC does what he wants, doesnt hide any longer and why would he, nobody can be surprised, the Africa trip with Corinna was such a desaster that every other news will be shrugged off.

Sofia always kept her mouth shut, I guess it was part of the deal that she does as well as she pleases, in business she could create her own Queen role, in private as well but differently, obviously no other men involved but she travels a lot, her sister has been living with her for free at Zarzuela for decades, she knows exactly what buttons to push with the press for her image, although I believe the love at least for her grandchildren in public is genuine.

That's true but publicly we see Queen Sofia more with her grandchildren that King Juan Carlos.

Even if Juan Carlos has a relationship with this woman, this will not damage the image of the monarchy. Everyone knows that King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia make separate lives, this is no surprise to anyone. The attention is now turned to King Philip VI and Queen Letizia, and they did a marriage out of love. I like Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, but I'm not surprised by that.

I don't think it will damage the monarchy as by now pretty much everyone knows JC & S are married in name only. But I am surprised and a bit shocked at how open he is going around with a woman he has supposedly had (having?) an affair with. If nothing else its disrespectful to Sofia and his family

I don't think it will damage the monarchy as by now pretty much everyone knows JC & S are married in name only. But I am surprised and a bit shocked at how open he is going around with a woman he has supposedly had (having?) an affair with. If nothing else its disrespectful to Sofia and his family

The King is very frail and most likely not at all capable to have any "affair" at all. Marta Gayá is so long (almost three decades) in the King's circle, mainly when the King is on and around the Club Náutico de Palma de Mallorca. Usually when there are regattas for the Copa del Rey. Marta Gayá and Doña Sofía seem to go on well, no hard feelings between the ladies.

Last edited:
Imagine if Queen Sofia was having an affair. There would've been a meltdown in the media and on the online royal forums.

The King is very frail and most likely not at all capable to have any "affair" at all. Marta Gayá is so long (almost three decades) in the King's circle, mainly when the King is on and around the Club Náutico de Palma de Mallorca. Usually when there are regattas for the Copa del Rey. Marta Gayá and Doña Sofía seem to go on well, no hard feelings between the ladies.

Indeed, it often amuses me to hear stories of frail 80-year-old men having "affairs" and parading with their mistresses.

Not to defend infidelity, but even if JC is having an affair with this woman, as opposed to a friendship, does anyone think Sofia really cares at this point? JC and Sofia's marriage has been over in everything but name for a long time now. They come together for family occasions and sometimes official occasions and always seem to be at ease in each other's company when together in public. Then they go home to their separate lives. Not unheard of among very longstanding marriages, (including plenty that started as love matches).

I would hope that all of the grandchildren have a loving relationship with both Juan Carlos and Sofia in private. The eight children are privileged in many ways but none of them have had or will have entirely easy lives. Elena's kids had their father's health issues then the divorce. Christina's have their father's ongoing legal battles not to mention the parallel media trial/witch hunt. And Felipe's children will face increasingly intense pressure on a number of fronts as they become teenagers and young adults. They could all use as many loving adult relationships in their lives as possible.

Last edited:
Does that mean that she will leave Madrid ?

If its true yes but she will use Zarzuela occasionally if she has an event,ofcourse its nothing official and at this stage just tabloid rumours.

King Juan Carlos will celebrate his 80th birthday on January 5th, the article claims that he wants a party a la Harald of Norway but Felipe is opposed to it. Hard to believe since the srf is not famous for such parties and with the 50th birthday of Felipe coming up on January 30, there will be no room for the old King's celebrations. https://www.msn.com/es-ar/entreteni...-que-felipe-vi-se-opone/ar-BBGNEkK?li=BBpmbhJ still there will be an interesting family reunion on the way with Cristina and Inaki certainly making their way into Zarzuela to celebrate with the Patron. And it's only the beginning of a year of celebrations since Sofia will be 80 in November 2018.

Back
Top Bottom