The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 11-01-2018, 02:16 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I wasn't aware that Sonja was trained to take over her father's business. As her father died before she was married, did she actually administer the business for several years? In any event, I'm sure it gave her an appreciation of hard work and enriched her talents as crown princess and queen.
No, she didn't! - After her father died in 1959, the family-business (which now mainly consists of renting out properties, I think) was run by her late brother Haakon Haraldsen (1921-2016), and since by his children.

--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It is interesting that Queen Sonja hopes Maud Behn will become an artist "for [Maud's] sake"; is it simply because of the queen's admiration for artists or does she perhaps see it as a particularly appropriate vocation for a member of the royal family?
Let's go through what she said:
Quote:
But this evening there is a party for one of her five grandchildren. Are any of them artistic? I ask.

‘My children, no,’ she replies. ‘But some of the grandchildren, I think. Especially the eldest [Maud]. She’s 15, and I think she may be an artist. I hope so, anyway. For her sake!’
Well, having seen a lot of TV-interviews with the Queen, I'm pretty sure she meant it in a humorous way (without thinking that long before she said it), like: ''For her sake, because she would REALLY miss out of a lot of fun-stuff, if she doesn't goes for it.''
__________________

__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 11-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
No, she didn't! - After her father died in 1959, the family-business (which now mainly consists of renting out properties, I think) was run by her late brother Haakon Haraldsen (1921-2016), and since by his children.
Perhaps the beginning of her relationship with Harald was involved in the family's decision to hand the business to her brother? I imagine some traditionalists would have been critical of a future crown princess having a career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Let's go through what she said:

Well, having seen a lot of TV-interviews with the Queen, I'm pretty sure she meant it in a humorous way (without thinking that long before she said it), like: ''For her sake, because she would REALLY miss out of a lot of fun-stuff, if she doesn't goes for it.''
Thanks! Humor is lost in translation from time to time.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 01-29-2019, 01:40 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Perhaps the beginning of her relationship with Harald was involved in the family's decision to hand the business to her brother?
I don't know, have unsuccessfully been trying to find some information about it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I imagine some traditionalists would have been critical of a future crown princess having a career.
Well, the ''women staying at home stuff'' was starting to change here during the 1960s, so I don't think many would've had a major problem with that. - And Sonja being in charge of her family's then renowned clothing business would just have made her case even more to the critical voices, I think. I.e. King Olav V, the court, politicians and last but not least, the press.
But she would have had to give it up anyway, when she became Crown Princess, so perhaps both she and her family thought it was easier to just hand it over to her brother.



--------------------

In other news. - Those of you who follow The NRF-website, will already know this: King Harald and Queen Sonja to Seefeld.

I for one thought CP Haakon (or perhaps even The Queen by herself) would be the one going, but again, the sports-mad King clearly feels up to it, although it can't be that easy for a frail 82-year-old (as he will be then) to sit out on that cold stadium watching all those competitions.
__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 02-01-2019, 09:39 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I don't know, have unsuccessfully been trying to find some information about it.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Well, the ''women staying at home stuff'' was starting to change here during the 1960s, so I don't think many would've had a major problem with that.
That makes the position clearer. But I wonder if the same side who held it necessary to restrain the crown prince from marrying a commoner (were they a majority or minority in Norway in the 1960s?) really would be "modern" enough at the same time to agree with the changes to women working outside the home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
- And Sonja being in charge of her family's then renowned clothing business would just have made her case even more to the critical voices, I think. I.e. King Olav V, the court, politicians and last but not least, the press.
In light of your comments here and in the Marius thread, it gives the impression that Norwegians, with respect to their royal family, are refreshingly unconcerned with whether jobs are suitably "royal" and admire a durable work ethic first and foremost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
But she would have had to give it up anyway, when she became Crown Princess, so perhaps both she and her family thought it was easier to just hand it over to her brother.

An interesting thought, as that line of thinking would signify their regard for Sonja's future acceptance into the Royal House as more likely than not. In light of what you said above, though, perhaps it would have been more astute to enact their original plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
In other news. - Those of you who follow The NRF-website, will already know this: King Harald and Queen Sonja to Seefeld.

I for one thought CP Haakon (or perhaps even The Queen by herself) would be the one going, but again, the sports-mad King clearly feels up to it, although it can't be that easy for a frail 82-year-old (as he will be then) to sit out on that cold stadium watching all those competitions.
My guess is that he is too passionate of a sports enthusiast to willingly give it up.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:18 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
That makes the position clearer. But I wonder if the same side who held it necessary to restrain the crown prince from marrying a commoner (were they a majority or minority in Norway in the 1960s?) really would be "modern" enough at the same time to agree with the changes to women working outside the home.
Well, there wasn't really a side, since almost every politician (from all parties) and a unanimous press were against it (the marriage, I mean). - And Sonja had in fact already helped out her brother by working period-wise for the family-business in the years leading up to the wedding.

''Were they a majority or minority in Norway in the 1960s?''
Good question! - And with the word ''they,'' I assume you mean ordinary Norwegians? Hmm, most were probably skeptical at first, but there is broad agreement among living politicians and journalists from the time (and those who have been alive until recently) that a large majority were happy that CP Harald would finally get the chance to marry his Sonja.

--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
In light of your comments here and in the Marius thread, it gives the impression that Norwegians, with respect to their royal family, are refreshingly unconcerned with whether jobs are suitably "royal" and admire a durable work ethic first and foremost.
Yes, but there are exceptions, such as Märtha standing in a room teaching paying-people to speak with angels.

--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
An interesting thought, as that line of thinking would signify their regard for Sonja's future acceptance into the Royal House as more likely than not. In light of what you said above, though, perhaps it would have been more astute to enact their original plan.
They were most likely thinking about the stability of the business.

--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
My guess is that he is too passionate of a sports enthusiast to willingly give it up.
Yes, and today (as you know), he began his two-day stay attending the Norwegian Championships in Cross-country skiing in Meråker.
And as people can see in the current-event thread, he was in great spirit.

__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 02-02-2019, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Well, there wasn't really a side, since almost every politician (from all parties) and a unanimous press were against it (the marriage, I mean). - And Sonja had in fact already helped out her brother by working period-wise for the family-business in the years leading up to the wedding.

''Were they a majority or minority in Norway in the 1960s?''
Good question! - And with the word ''they,'' I assume you mean ordinary Norwegians? Hmm, most were probably skeptical at first, but there is broad agreement among living politicians and journalists from the time (and those who have been alive until recently) that a large majority were happy that CP Harald would finally get the chance to marry his Sonja.
It's quite interesting that, in a democratic constitutional monarchy, the beliefs of the politicians and press in respect to the monarchy diverged so substantially from the beliefs of the ordinary people. Of course that seems to be a commonplace event in many democratic monarchies, not only Norway, but it is especially remarkable in this case seeing that the possibility of the monarchy losing popularity with the public was an argument used against allowing the marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Yes, but there are exceptions, such as Märtha standing in a room teaching paying-people to speak with angels.
Is it the payment or the angels which discomfits Norwegians the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
They were most likely thinking about the stability of the business.
I can understand that. But it would have been interesting if the business had been inherited by Sonja as planned - I think she would have been the first modern queen consort in Europe to have run her own business.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 02-03-2019, 12:39 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Good question! - And with the word ''they,'' I assume you mean ordinary Norwegians? Hmm, most were probably skeptical at first, but there is broad agreement among living politicians and journalists from the time (and those who have been alive until recently) that a large majority were happy that CP Harald would finally get the chance to marry his Sonja.
My impression from all the programs done around the time of their Gold wedding was that initially the Norwegians were against the mere thought of their Crown Prince marrying a commoner, but that public opinion changed as the romance went on especially after it reached the critical stage and became a political matter.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 02-03-2019, 12:42 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I think she would have been the first modern queen consort in Europe to have run her own business.
Business or not, she is the only queen I know of that has a gold record
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:25 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It's quite interesting that, in a democratic constitutional monarchy, the beliefs of the politicians and press in respect to the monarchy diverged so substantially from the beliefs of the ordinary people. Of course that seems to be a commonplace event in many democratic monarchies, not only Norway, but it is especially remarkable in this case seeing that the possibility of the monarchy losing popularity with the public was an argument used against allowing the marriage.
As I wrote in the previous post, most ordinary people ''were probably sceptical at first,'' since they were not used to that royals married commoners. Although Princesses Ragnhild & Astrid did it to much criticism from politicians/media in 1953 and 1961 (especially the latter one, since she married a divorcee), but neither of them was the heir, which made it a bit easier.
And remember that Sonja was a proper woman who came from a good family - and that she and the CP had been waiting for 9 years.

And the politicians/commentators who were against it at the time, have later said that while they first feared that public-support for the monarchy would ''go down-hill'' in the event of The Crown Prince marrying Sonja, they finaly realised that most people would indeed accept it, yes, even support it. - And that was before they heard about CP Harald's so-called ''I will remain unmarried'' ultimatum to his father in 1967, although they still meant that the heir should marry a foreign royal, because ''she would be used to royal-life'' and last but not least, it was what ''one used to do.''
But after the wedding, when they saw how the then CP Sonja handled her new role and how happy the once grumpy Crown Prince had become, they ''regretted'' their previous thoughts.

--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Is it the payment or the angels which discomfits Norwegians the most?
I will say both! And then I mean the media/church, since it is difficult to know exactly what ordinary Norwegians think about it, although some polls conducted in the late 2000s showed that a majority believed it ''weakened the monarchy.''

But let's take both issues:

Talking to angels: The opinion of media-commentators (most of them pro-royal) is that it ridicules the monarchy, which I very much agree with. - Because although she's no longer a member of The Royal House, she is still a titled daughter of the monarch.
While The Church of Norway (as some of you already know from Ingrid's confirmation thread), of which Märtha is still a member, has accused her of going against Evangelical-Lutheran teaching. - A religion, which the monarch is dictated by the constitution to ''at all times profess.''

Taking money to teach others to do the same: Some commentators (again, most of them pro-monarchy) have accused her of ''exploiting vulnerable people for money,'' while others have called it ''pure fraud.''



--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
My impression from all the programs done around the time of their Gold wedding was that initially the Norwegians were against the mere thought of their Crown Prince marrying a commoner, but that public opinion changed as the romance went on especially after it reached the critical stage and became a political matter.
Although, it was very much a ''political matter'' from the rumors of a relationship began and until they were allowed to marry, I think it probably was (as several politicians/commentators from the time have said) because people felt sorry for The Crown Prince having had to wait all those years. - And the fact that ''they finally realized that royals were human too,'' as the now 90-year-old former Prime Minister, Kåre Willoch said it some years ago.

People can read more about it in this post: Golden Wedding Anniversary of King Harald V and Queen Sonja.

__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 02-19-2019, 03:55 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 3,742
Kjell Arne Totland @TV2KjellArne
50 YEARS AGO... #CrownPrincessSonja of #Norway poses for new official pictures in her husband’s office at #RoyalPalace in #Oslo. - dressed in the same gown that she wore at #Akershus the day before her wedding. And for the first time she wears the big diamond tiara & earrings (link).

And with ''the big diamond tiara & earrings,'' he meant (as most of you will know when you click on the picture) Queen Josephine's Diamond Tiara (link) and The Diamond Pendant Earrings (link).
__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:05 AM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 16,453
Thank you from the Palace for all the wishes for the Birthday of the King yesterday:

"Thanks for the many nice wishes to the King's birthday! We have been allowed to share this which the King received from the crew of Christian Radich and Windjammer. Thank you and good sail"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuL7mzln5h0/
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
King Harald and Queen Sonja: January- December 2006 Juanita Current Events Archive 142 11-30-2006 02:07 PM
King Harald And Queen Sonja Visit Asia: October & November 2004 pdas1201 King Harald and Queen Sonja 47 08-04-2006 05:24 AM
King Harald And Queen Sonja Current Events: July 2004 - June 2005 Lord Sosnowitz Current Events Archive 122 06-03-2005 05:31 AM
King Harald And Queen Sonja News and Pictures: November 2003 - August 2004 Alexandria Current Events Archive 71 07-06-2004 06:52 PM
King Harald And Queen Sonja News: December 2002 - November 2003 Alexandria Current Events Archive 58 11-06-2003 10:31 PM




Popular Tags
administrator archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig british royal family britishroyals ceremony christian ix clothes corruption countess of wessex crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife current events cypher daughter daughters de belgique denmark duchessofcambridge duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex duke of york family search french royalty friendly city germany gordon greece harry head of the house her children infanta cristina introduction jack brooksbank juan carlos kiko king meghan markle modernization monarchist monarchy patron prince harry prince laurent princenapoleon princess anne princesses princess louise princess of belgium public image quizz rania of jordan remarriage royal royal ladies sarah duchess of york saxony siblings south africa state visit the crown titles uk styles trump valois van belgië viscount severn windsor castle ww1



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises