Sheikha Latifa Al Maktoum (''The Missing Princess'') 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kidnapping and locking up your family members might be acceptable practice in certain parts of the world but the victim herself asked prior to all of this happening that the world would intervene on her behalf because she knew what they were capable off. Shrugging that off by telling those concerned to deal with their own issues instead of speaking up for a powerless victim is not what anybody would want if they were that victim.
And yes, I am aware that I am not doing anything to advance her case but I am glad that others continue to do so and laud their efforts.
It's strange how a few cases are able to grab the world's attention while so many others largely or completely go unnoticed.
The BBC spoke up and reminded us of Sheikha Latifa III's plight. What changed? Nothing. Ms Tiina Jauhiainen's of Finland and Mr Hervé Jaubert's of France were the only people, who attempted to take real action. As we know, their attempt failed. The enlightened west slightly reprimanded the Al-Maktoums and moved on to more important issues. It will continue to do so because it needs investments and natural resources from the Gulf. That is all.

Last edited:
Tiina Jauhiainen was as a guest at finnish talk show "Arto Nyberg" on Sunday evening. She said that the Dubai Ruler's Court's statement last week about Latifa being safe and celebrating her birthday with her family is ridiculous. Latifa was escaping from her family. The court has been silent for a month and not answered to UN, and only a day before the documentary is shown they publish this ridiculous statement. Tiina said that she has known Latifa for eight years, and she has never spent her birthday with her family. This wasn't the first time Latifa tried to escape, she tried to escape for the first time in 2002 and that ended badly. Latifa was in jail for 3,5 years. Latifa has wanted to escape her whole life. There are so many rules given to Latifa: she hasn't been able to travel, for the last 20 years she has never left the United Arab Emirates. She has been given times when she must come home in the evening. She isn't allowed to go to any private person's home. It is difficult for Latifa to live a normal life, she has said that she isn't longing for the riches, she just wants to live a normal life. The program host asked if all Latifa's siblings live the same kind of life. Tiina said that Latifa's brothers have a lot more freedom, depending on who is their mother. They can travel. Latifa has been born in that kind of circumstances that she has more rules. Her sister lives the same kind of life.
Tiina told that when she started to give lessons in capoeira to Latifa 5-7 times a week in 2010, at first they had to have a chaperone with them. During the years Tiina became a person whom the family could trust so they were allowed to be together just the two of them. In 2013 they started parachuting together and they spent even more time together. Skydive Dubai is one of Latifa's brother's companies and Latifa got to spend time a little more freely. Tiina said that of course she saw that they were rich but Latifa is very down-to-earth, she wasn't interested in money, one could not think that she was the ruler's daughter. Tiina said that in 2016 Latifa told her her whole story, but only in the summer 2017 Latifa asked Tiina to help her with her plan to escape and asked if Tiina could travel to the Philippines to meet Herve Jaubert and to make some kind of plan with him. The host asked how did Latifa got information about Jaubert? Tiina said that Latifa had read a book written by Jaubert. Jaubert had escaped from Dubai himself. So Latifa had contacted Jaubert and he had first thought that it was some kind of scam. Tiina said also that she thinks that the claim that Jaubert wanted ransom for Latifa was totally unfounded. If he would have done that, why would they have released Jaubert from Dubai when Tiina was released, we were both released after about two week's imprisonment. The host asked was their escape plan realistic? Tiina said that given that the neighbouring countries were such where they could not go, the plan seemed the best option. They were planning it for months and they had lawyers in USA waiting, everything was organized. The host asked how was it in jail? Tiina said that she wasn't abused but she was threatened quite a lot, with death sentence and life sentence. The interrogations lasted 20 hours sometimes. The host said that Tiina doesn't believe that Latifa is ok. Tiina said that no, she doesn't believe that Latifa is ok. She doesn't have any contact to Latifa now. Tiina said she has met Jaubert regularly. The host asked if Jaubert was paid for organizing the escape. Tiina said that this kind of thing causes costs, and that Latifa's savings covered the costs. Tiina lives in London and went back there on Monday, there was a demonstration in front of the embassy of the Arab Emirates, she works a lot with various human rights organizations and now when they have got Dubai's attention, they hopefully get a final result and Latifa will get free.
Tiina's interview starts at 15.20
su 9.12.2018 _ Arto Nyberg _ TV _ Areena _ yle.fi

Shouldn`t there be some sort of official statement from the UN? Yes she is alive but her story, her freedom and her health?

Last edited:
reassuring to see the Sheikha after all the recents events i hope Mrs Robinson after this meeting have clear idea about Latifa living in Dubai so that sad episode could be finally closed.

Last edited:
This isn`t over

reassuring to see the Sheikha after all the recents events i hope Mrs Robinson after this meeting have clear idea about Latifa living in Dubai so that sad episode could be finally closed.

She is back in Dubai but not Free. So this is not yet near closed. She wanted to seek asylum abroad. The Dubai regime only prove that she is alive if this video is confirmed. But they still tolk her on a US flaggen boat on international waters against her will.

:previous:
but still arranging a meeting with High UN official is an important move from their part,to Mrs Robinson now to report about what she saw in there and wich of the theories ar the right: an escaping princess in seek of freedon,or troubled women with issues that she was taking advantage of...

but still arranging a meeting with High UN official is an important move from their part,to Mrs Robinson now to report about what she saw in there and wich of the theories ar the right: an escaping princess in seek of freedon,or troubled women with issues that she was taking advantage of...

A report from Mrs Robinson with or without UN stationery is a first step. And maybe a big One. As it is a PR loss for Dubai. The next step is to hear Latifa own words about what happenes when she was abducted from a US flagged wessel on international water against her will. How she was treated and if her claim to leave Dubai and seek asylum is still the same.

The recent photographs of Sheikha Latifa bint Mohammed Al Maktoum published by Sky News on 24 December 2018 are, if verified, a welcome development. However, a number of serious questions still remain as to Sheikha Latifa’s whereabouts, her overall well-being and whether she remains detained all appear to be at issue and unanswered by the official statement of the United Arab Emirates.
The question remains as to why the United Arab Emirates waited nine months before responding and until now failed to engage with the United Nations investigating Sheikha Latifa’s disappearance.(...)
It is noted with some concern that Ms. Robinson has thus far not commented official on the purported visit nor has she sought to communicate with those other persons who are alleged to have been unlawfully detained and beaten in an unprecedented miliarty attack in internaitonal waters in March of this year.(...)
Guernica Group Press Statement

good they decide to show Latifa finally i really hope she is ok and living with her family and getting the right care

When one seeks freedom to travel and basic rights to make choices shouldn't the "right care" include allowing free self-determination? Otherwise "right care" sounds rather sinister

Last edited:
we don't know the true story we just speculate,so is the sheikha reallly was out for freedom or someone with mental issues??? We for sure have no clue

Anyway now UN is involved and and an official met the Sheikha as some friends above said let's to see what Mde Mary have to say

Last edited by a moderator:
we don't know the true story we just speculate,so is the sheikha reallly was out for freedom or someone with mental issues??? We for sure have no clue

Mental issue? What in the world points to a mental issue when you plan your escape for years and make a 40 minutes video as your last testament? The behaviour from the UAE, silence for nine hole months, supports in my view that she knew what she was doing. The faith of her sister Shamsa in year 2000 supports that her statement is true.

Also there are witnesses that for years helped her plan the escape. Do they have the same mental issues?

and how we know that really what happen i mean we don't have any proves as we don't have any about her metal issues as her relatives claim,so don't get me wrong i am not taking anyone side i just said WE DON'T KNOW WHAT REALLY HAPPEN OR WHAT THE THRUT IS,as much as the story of the running princess is facinating WE DON'T HAVE ANY PROVE OF IT OR THE PLANS TO ESPACE ONLY WHAT MEDIA SAID AND SOME OF PPL TALK WHOS ARE ACCUSED BY HER FAMILY OF TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE SHEIKHA...where is the thruth? WE DON'T KNOW

Before even mentioning mental issues one should present some evidence... otherwise it just remains a derogatory suggestion.
I would add that mrs Robinson has retired and does no longer have a role in the UN, so such photos do not represent an official UN engagement

Before even mentioning mental issues one should present some evidence... otherwise it just remains a derogatory suggestion.
I would add that mrs Robinson has retired and does no longer have a role in the UN, so such photos do not represent an official UN engagement

So no official UN mandate and yet no comment from her... Great...

So Mrs Robinson is not working with UN?
How come the article mention she is an High UN official?

So Mrs Robinson is not working with UN?
How come the article mention she is an High UN official?

The Reuters article says "At the request of the family, on 15th December 2018, Mary Robinson, former United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights..."

The press statement of Guernica Group, which represents Latifa, says "Guernica 37 International Justice Chambers and the wider team look forward to confirmation from the former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Ms. Mary Robinson"

As a Finn I like to remind, that ms Tiina Jauhiainen risked her life in helping her friend Latifa to escape.

Last edited:
As a Finn I like to remind, that ms Tiina Jauhiainen risked her life in helping her friend Latifa to escape.

That´s my point why would Tina, Hervé and others risk their lifes is she was mental ill. Let´s just drop that track and if I´m wrong I´ll be the first one to eat my own hat.

Thank you for clearing things out. Lets give Mrs Robinson a week from december 24th to comment shall we?
Edit: Just saw on Twitter that Mrs. Robinson was interviewed on BBC4 this morning. Looking for i link. Doen´t look good...

Last edited:
Mary Robinson has given an interview following her meeting with Sheikha Latifa today:

“Robinson told Radio 4 that she has spoken with UN human rights chief, Michelle Bachelet and Human Rights Watch executive director, Ken Roth about her findings. She said that Latifa is a 'troubled young woman' receiving care, as she's suffering from a serious medical condition. Robinson also said she will return to Dubai in March to meet with them again.“

Here you can find short summaries of the interview:

www.firstpost.com/world/dubai-princess-sheikha-latifa-is-a-troubled-young-woman-says-former-un-human-rights-chief-mary-robinson-5799741.html/amp

https://lovindubai.com/news/mary-robinson-latifa/amp

Last edited:
Mary Robinson has given an interview following her meeting with Sheikha Latifa today.

Robinson told Radio 4 that she has spoken with UN human rights chief, Michelle Bachelet and Human Rights Watch executive director, Ken Roth about her findings.
She said that Latifa is a 'troubled young woman' receiving care, as she's suffering from a serious medical condition.

Robinson also said she will return to Dubai in March to meet with them again.

Here you can find a summary of the interview:
https://lovindubai.com/news/mary-robinson-latifa/amp

Thank you! So now Mrs. Robinson is a medial doctor too. How about a second opinionen from a (real) doctor before hanging out People as crazy. Shes a grown up women not a Child.

Good PR move. Feels like gas on an open torch thoose pictures and Mrs. Robinson so called diagnosis.

I truly don't understand that Mrs Robinson lends herself for this PR move. If she is such a troubled young woman with a serious medical condition (she was totally fine when she fled the country - what did they do to her that suddenly she is suffering from a serious medical condition?). Why not let her receive the care she needs in a different country as before she (supposedly) was ill she clearly wanted to be elsewhere (without any control of her family); so independent medical doctors can take care of her and do a proper diagnosis.

When one seeks freedom to travel and basic rights to make choices shouldn't the "right care" include allowing free self-determination? Otherwise "right care" sounds rather sinister

Exactly!

A healthy woman doesn't need 'the right care'.

Last edited:
Shes a grown up women not a Child.

Its not a matter of age I think.

A healthy woman doesn't need 'the right care'.

You are right, but we all here on TRF are not doctors involved to know about her real health. We just can deal with the informations revealed to the public.

Last edited:
You are right, but we are not doctors involved to know about her real health.

So bring in some real neutral doctors not on the UAE payroll... or else drop the mental ilness card. Thank you.

So bring in some real neutral doctors not on the UAE payroll... or else drop the mental ilness card. Thank you.

Informations can be shared which are distributed to the public by media, official organisations or governments and social media here on TRF. The public is urged to believe the informations or to condemn it as pure PR.

Last edited:
Bravo StefanDi!!!! I also wonder how could Latifa practice parachuting, capoeira, scuba diving, all sports requiring medical certificates stating good health, then undertake physical training for her escape and cover miles on the sea to reach the yacht by scuba diving and jet-sky.... and those who helped her escape knew her for years. If she was a lunatic or mentally unstable, she would not have obtained support. And her sister Shamza kidnapped in the uk... mentally unstable too? Mmmmmm

Such suggestions of "proper care" and mental instability applied to adult women are just disturbing.
It's the men who keep women under lock who should be put under "the right care" and there maybe a few ideas on how to administer that care

Last edited by a moderator:
Such suggestions of "proper care" and mental instability applied to adult women are just disturbing.

Mental instability also could mean that she -in the age of an adult- isnt aware of her status and the obligations of the family she blongs too. Dont forget, she isnt a pure privat person but member of a ruling family. Everything she do can being a big problem for peace and stability in the region even she hasnt a ruling position within the family. Being not aware of her own position can create a big mess to a country and between states on political basis.

Think about other royal family members worldwide. They also have to be aware of their status to the society. For instance the wifes of Prince Harry and Prince William. Both involved in royal obligations even the family no longer ruling the country. The ladies can not easily break out into the life of a common person (even both were before marry a prince) just everytime they want. Or can you imagine the queen of UK to tell the world: sorry, I cant meet the prime minister of x-state today because I prefer to go swimming instead.

Sheikha Latifa can only win against herself if she succeeds in gaining personal freedom as part of her social role only. Being adult in her case means giving up personal wishes to the good of society first. That's what her ancestors did and what made them paramount reigning sheikhs.

Last edited:
Mental instability is a serious concept which cannot be stretched to cover unruliness, excentricity, wish to change scenery and environment. Latifa and her sister, during the time of their escape, tried to be unnoticed and committed no crime. They wanted to be somewhere else. It's what was done to take them back and remove them from communication with their friends that attracted public attention and international outrage.
Many royal and business families have unruly members to deal with. It can be done in civilised ways and by developing acceptable exit strategies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom