The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Is there something special about this borough? Or why was it chosen?
To any Southerner (South of the Watford Gap) Burnley, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester etc are considered 'uncouth, troublemakers, rude, ignorant, rundown trouble spots. It is often said that civilisation stops at the Watford Gap!

Burnley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burnley has lost significant portions of its traditional manufacturing base over the past twenty years. In June 2001, the town received national attention following a series of violent disturbances arising from racial tension between elements of its white and immigrant communities

Old 02-08-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
troublemakers, rude, ignorant,
And thats just the nuns. Trust me Jo, you never want to go to Burnley. It's twinned with Beirut and a night out isn't complete without bottling a pensioner for his luncheon vouchers.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
And thats just the nuns. Trust me Jo, you never want to go to Burnley. It's twinned with Beirut and a night out isn't complete without bottling a pensioner for his luncheon vouchers.
I had the misfortune once to travel by tube through Brixton when there were riots - when we emerged at the surface, there were burning barricades etc.. Police had cordoned the tube station off and brought us politely to waiting buses that took the passengers to their destinations so we arrived safely down in Forrest Hill where we stayed with friends at that time. It was really a shocking view.

So Burnley - okay. We have such towns as well here in Germany, unfortunately and I'm thankful I don't have to live there or anywhere close by.
But it's great that the prince is willing to do something about the situation down there.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Excuse me My partner is from Burnley & I've seen more disgusting drunken behaviour by louts hanging around near Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery in London than Burnley. Burnley also has a really lovely art gallery set in rolling green parkland housing the collections of the local Townley family. The best part of the Townley's collection was one of the largest and best private collection of antique sculpture acquired in the 18th century. However, this was snitched by the British Museum and Londoners now get to see it probably thinking it belonged to a Londoner all along! I say that as a Londoner born and bred! It also has some of the earliest weaving sheds and mills in the country, which Prince Charles helped to save from demolition in the 1980s. But the Wikipedia entry is correct to point out that its textile industry has suffered sharp decline over the last 20 years, being undercut by much cheaper imports from China.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:07 PM

Well, I stand by my comments as I've been to Burnley and I honestly thought there'd been some sort of exchange programme with Chernobyl victims but I'll acknowledge that for some people Burnley is appealing and I'm glad it has it's fans.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:01 AM
Royal Highness

A silenced Prince
February 11

The Prince of Wales is in Brussels this Wednesday and Thursday, his first visit to Belgium since 1999 and his first to the institutions of the European Union for 16 years. But he will not be holding any press conferences.

A silenced prince : February 2008 : Bruno Waterfield : Foreign : Telegraph Blogs

(...) Good for the Prince of Wales, who has been one of the few to speak out about this elephant in the room, this little difficulty that many politicians and athletics officials are determined to ignore for the sake of international sporting relations.

Prince Charles knocks China for British sport - Telegraph
Old 02-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Prince Charles knocks China for British sport

(...) Good for the Prince of Wales, who has been one of the few to speak out about this elephant in the room, this little difficulty that many politicians and athletics officials are determined to ignore for the sake of international sporting relations.

I agree entirely with the sentiment within the artcle. Lets ignore the nasty bits as long as we can try to show how 'great' we are at sport!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Arrival of prince Charles in Brussels
Free Image Hosting at AllYouCanUpload.com
Free Image Hosting at AllYouCanUpload.com
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you for posting the pics stephanievl !

Prince Charles is due to meet senior EU figures in Brussels later and a visit by Gordon Brown will soon follow.

BBC NEWS | Business | Prince then PM to visit Brussels
Old 02-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness

Britain's Prince Charles walks with European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso during his visit to the EU headquarters in Brussels on February 13, 2008. Prince Charles is on a two-day official visit to Brussels during which he is due to meet with commission chief Jose Manuel Barroso and give a speech about climate change at the European Parliament.
http://img11.imagevenue.com/img.php?...122_1181lo.jpg
http://img20.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_865lo.jpg
http://img190.imagevenue.com/view.ph..._122_230lo.jpg
http://img218.imagevenue.com/img.php...7_122_51lo.jpg
http://img25.imagevenue.com/img.php?...122_1035lo.jpg
http://img162.imagevenue.com/view.ph..._122_721lo.jpg
http://img170.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_843lo.jpg
http://img182.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_486lo.jpg
http://img212.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_112lo.jpg
http://img241.imagevenue.com/view.ph..._122_397lo.jpg
http://img244.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_441lo.jpg
http://img106.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_1021lo.jpg
http://img233.imagevenue.com/img.php...8_122_84lo.jpg
http://img5.imagevenue.com/view.php?...122_1002lo.jpg
Old 02-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Serene Highness

European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso introduces European commissioners Peter Mandelson, Stavros Dimas and Gunther Verheugen to Britain's Prince Charles before a meeting, on February 13, 2008 at the EU headquarters in Brussels.
http://img139.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_1021lo.jpg
http://img188.imagevenue.com/view.ph..._122_182lo.jpg
http://img156.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_1122lo.jpg
Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you again, stephanievl , unfortunately i can not open many of the links you posted.

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#

here are my two favourite pics:

Prince Charles is welcomed by Princess Mathilde and Prince Philippe
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

The Prince of Wales talks to the Belgian Prince and Princess at Laeken Castle
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
A silenced Prince
February 11

The Prince of Wales is in Brussels this Wednesday and Thursday, his first visit to Belgium since 1999 and his first to the institutions of the European Union for 16 years. But he will not be holding any press conferences.

A silenced prince : February 2008 : Bruno Waterfield : Foreign : Telegraph Blogs

I think one should be rather doubtful about claims coming from the Telegraph which is a very Eurosceptic newspapert hat the Prince is himself strongly Eurosceptic. Several of the environmental and heritage projects that the Prince has supported in the past have had much support from the European Union. For example last year he reopened the marvellously renovated and redcorated 19th-century St. George's Hall in Liverpool, whose renovation was supported mainly by funds from the EU and barely a penny from Blair's government. + In 2001/02 when Britain's farmers were so badly affected by foot & mouth disease it was the EU who proposed the vaccination policy supported by Prince Charles not the British government who refused to implement that policy.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
Several of the environmental and heritage projects that the Prince has supported in the past have had much support from the European Union. For example last year he reopened the marvellously renovated and redcorated 19th-century St. George's Hall in Liverpool, whose renovation was supported mainly by funds from the EU and barely a penny from Blair's government. + In 2001/02 when Britain's farmers were so badly affected by foot & mouth disease it was the EU who proposed the vaccination policy supported by Prince Charles not the British government who refused to implement that policy.
Just because he opened a hall. it does not mean he supports the EU. Vaccination of cattle against F&M is still not accepted by many British farmers, no matter who proposes it.

The EU like any organisation can have the odd good idea, but the stupidity over seeds, forcing British farmers not to grow good old fashioned apples and many of the other rules the UK adheres to, (while other EU nations ignore them), does not mean it is the way forward.

Charles has apparently been silenced on this trip, otherwise where are the statements, the interviews, etc.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

More pictures of Chrles together with Philippe and Mathilde
PPE Agency
Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Britain's Prince Charles, called on Thursday for a global fund to preserve tropical rainforests from destruction.
"In the simplest of terms, we have to find a way to make the forests worth more alive than dead," the heir to the British throne told the European Parliament in an address.

ENN: Britain's Prince Charles urges rainforest funding

UKIP leader Nigel Farage has been accused by Labour of "anti-Royalism" for refusing to take part in a standing ovation for Prince Charles

BBC NEWS | Politics | UKIP anger at prince's EU speech
Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post

UKIP leader Nigel Farage has been accused by Labour of "anti-Royalism" for refusing to take part in a standing ovation for Prince Charles

BBC NEWS | Politics | UKIP anger at prince's EU speech
oh please. Anyone can refuse to stand during a standing ovation. they didn't stand because they disagree with what he said, not who he is.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:43 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the articles, Skydragon!

"I was embarrassed and disgusted when Mr Farage remained firmly seated during the lengthy standing ovation Prince Charles received.(...)

theparliament.com - Row flares over 'snub' to British royal in EU parliament

The Prince of Wales urged the international community to wage war against “the doomsday clock of climate change” today and to adopt “courageous and revolutionary” measures against the threat.

Prince Charles says EU can stop us sleepwalking to climate catastrophe - Times Online

Princess Mathilde of Belgium might be married to her own prince but that doesn't prevent her appreciating the attentions of another charming royal.

Charming Charles impresses Mathilde with his gallantry
Old 02-15-2008, 04:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt View Post
oh please. Anyone can refuse to stand during a standing ovation. they didn't stand because they disagree with what he said, not who he is.
I can´t agree.
The Prince was a special guest in the EU parliament yesterday. And i think, it was extremly impolite for a member of the parliament to stay on the seat after HRH ended the speech !

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales