The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 11: February-July 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I rather doubt she does SO much behind the scenes since it would hardly be in CH's best interest to keep it quiet.
She spends a great deal of time writing and visiting servicemen and their families, mainly wounded men and women and the families of the dead, most of whom prefer to meet her without the glare of the cameras at such a difficult time.

That is why she has become such a favourite with many servicemen and women. IMO, they feel very fortunate that she is prepared to visit them as people and not use them as a publicity stunt.

Skydragon said:
This is one area where she has total control over her image. She should find a handful of causes close to her heart and run with it. And I rather doubt she does SO much behind the scenes since it would hardly be in CH's best interest to keep it quiet.
Total control of this one area? You have got to be kidding. As to how much she does behind the scenes, well we really have not credible way of quantifying it. And as for CH publicising what she does do, why should they?
Skydragon said:
She spends a great deal of time writing and visiting servicemen and their families, mainly wounded men and women and the families of the dead, most of whom prefer to meet her without the glare of the cameras at such a difficult time.

That is why she has become such a favourite with many servicemen and women. IMO, they feel very fortunate that she is prepared to visit them as people and not use them as a publicity stunt.
I absolutely agree. Camilla does not use people in fear and pain as a publicity "photo op". She just beavers away doing real things for and with real people and they respond with a growing respect and admiration for a woman who voluntarily shares her time and resources to give them a little comfort and hope and respect.

The continual harping on about numbers . . . . of "appearances", "engagements" ad nauseum, ad infinitum, is repugnant. Prince Charles married a living, breathing, compassionate woman, who is not afraid to be herself, even if her work behind the scenes is rated as no work at all by the ignorant, misguided or just plain mean spirited.

Warren and Skydragon....

:)I'm aware of the list of patronages. But sorry, I still think she is work-shy. I don't want to say what Mr Bolland said about her being monumentally [fill in the blank], but surely there must be something to it. Also, now we hear that his Private Secretary, Elizabeth Buchanan, is leaving at the end of the year. Supposedly, the real reason is because there's tension between her and Camilla over her influence on Charles (hmmm...) and Ms Buchanan's feeling that Camilla doesn't fully carry her weight. I'm not suggesting everything written in papers is true, but when you continue to see the same theme and when you add the vacations and other absences, it's difficult not to think there's SOMETHING to it all. :)

And Marg.... I don't think it's necessary to call people "ignorant, misguided or just plain mean spirited" simply because they have a different point of view. I was under the impression that we all have a right to express our opinions in the subject matter in a courteous manner. Warren can correct me if I'm wrong.

I totally agree. It has been three years and the excuses are becoming tiresome. This is one area where she has total control over her image. She should find a handful of causes close to her heart and run with it. I realize she's not 25, but she opted to become a senior royal and it comes with a price. Can anyone imagine the Queen going on a vacation in just a few short weeks after the Christmas break at Sandringham, or not hearing about any engagement for weeks at a time? And I rather doubt she does SO much behind the scenes since it would hardly be in CH's best interest to keep it quiet.

It's harder than you think to notch up hundreds of engagements if you've only been asked to be patron of 44 charities/regiments so far. Besides which she isn't in control of whether or not the press cover the engagements she does perform. For example over the last weeks the Daily Mail totally ignored every single one of Camilla's engagements in Wales and chose only to show her paddling in the sea on a day when her husband's entire day was taken up with private meetings for his Welsh charities. Equally the Mail ignored Camilla's attendance at the national commemoration for British war veterans. This despite the fact that the Mail purports to be a national newspaper. Finally I should point out that the Queen's Christmas break extends until February 8th (the day after the anniversary of her father's death). So this year that was only a few weeks away from her Easter break.

Didn't BP give more of the Queen's engagements to both Prince Charles and The Duchess of Cornwall this year?

I think that it I is hard to become a royal in your late 50's. I am a Diana fan, but I am giving the Duchess a break. The papers just want to dig up dirt.

I don't think the Duchess has ever done a wrong step since being married. The fair that she and the Prince just went to; they had a lot of pictures of the Duchess truly enjoying herself. If she and her husband are happy with her engagements; and in the photos we see they look VERY happy; then I am going to let this matter rest.:flowers:

I don't want to say what Mr Bolland said
Why not, the facts and a link to them are always better than below the surface or inferred insults. I should imagine we have all read them from a variety of sources but it doesn't mean to say one persons utterings especially one associated with the News of the World, or the Mail are to be believed. Bolland left under his own steam and then had help from Charles and Camilla by employing his company. It must have made his betrayal/bad mouthing and knives in the back rather more painful, but IMO reflects badly on Bolland. Bolland on leaving "I shall always look back on my time there with great affection"
BBC NEWS | UK | Spin doctor cuts royal ties
Also, now we hear that his Private Secretary, Elizabeth Buchanan, is leaving at the end of the year. Supposedly, the real reason is because there's tension between her and Camilla over her influence on Charles (hmmm...) and Ms Buchanan's feeling that Camilla doesn't fully carry her weight.
I have already pointed out to you that was only the inference in the Mail article, but other media outlets and Clarence House have given the real reason for her leaving - Her well known but elderly father, who had a profitable organic farm died and left her elderly mother and Elizabeth to run the place. As it is hard work running a farm and commuting to work for Charles & Camilla, Elizabeth has, with regret decided to commit herself to helping her mother and running the farm. It seems to me anyone who chooses to alter the facts to make a story, is somewhat misguided. Where you come by the 'Ms Buchanan's feelings'!.........(Hmmmmm)
I'm not suggesting everything written in papers is true, but when you continue to see the same theme and when you add the vacations and other absences, it's difficult not to think there's SOMETHING to it all. :)
That is exactly what you are suggesting, in thread after thread. The trouble is, from your posts, that you do not appear to have read the articles, just the headline or repeated a distorted story.

Last edited:
I totally agree. It has been three years and the excuses are becoming tiresome. This is one area where she has total control over her image. She should find a handful of causes close to her heart and run with it. I realize she's not 25, but she opted to become a senior royal and it comes with a price. Can anyone imagine the Queen going on a vacation in just a few short weeks aftre the Christmas break at Sandringham, or not hearing about any engagement for weeks at a time? And I rather doubt she does SO much behind the scenes since it would hardly be in CH's best interest to keep it quiet.

I think the key thing is that Camilla NEEDS TO BE SEEN TO BE DOING MORE. I appreciate that she does a lot behind the scenes, but she needs to be out there and meeting more people. I dont care if the DM don't report it - it will show up on the Court Circular or at the year end "league table."

I also know that it is easy to be cynical about league tables, but in the absence of any other publicly available performance measure, we will just need to make do with these.

I tend to agree Muriel. I also think it would be a good idea for her to do some 'unofficial, private' visits to some of her charities. Word will get out and she WILL be seen as doing something.

With all due respect, Skydragon, you don't know what I read or where I get my information.

And if I preface a statement with ''now we hear'', ''supposedly,'' or if I go so far as to stress that "I'm not suggesting everything written in papers is true," surely a certain degree of reader-beware comes across.

The easiest way to attempt to negate an argument is to suggest someone's sources are not reliable or to say they are misinformed.

You are not putting any sources so it would be pointless to suggest they are not reliable, just a constant inference of what 'you' read below the surface or 'Oh my goodness it is so bad I can't put it here'. 'Now we hear', (but invariably we don't) 'supposedly' (not normally any basis for it) and 'I'm not suggesting' (well of course you are) are transparent. No, I don't see the 'reader beware' in your post just derision and innuendo.

Prince Charles' private secretary Elizabeth Buchanan to resign - Telegraph

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics 7.7.2008

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall holds a Malmaison carnation (now usually
known as 'Old Blush') she received during her visit to the Plant Heritage
Marquee at Hampton Court Palace Flower Show on July 7, 2008 in London,
England. The annual Hampton Court Palace Flower Show will run from July
8 to July 13, 2008.

I think pic 1 and 5 are my favourites :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

And a first gallery from isifa:
Hampton Court Palace Flower Show Opens To The Press

Thank you (again:)) iceflower!:flowers:
I specially like pic number 2!

The Duchess of Cornwall showed off her green-fingered credentials by opening a plant conservation marquee at the annual Hampton Court Palace Flower Show.

The Press Association: Duchess visits Hampton Court show

8 to July 13, 2008.

Camilla looked lovely at the HC flower show. Love the dark dress and white jakcet combination - it really works for Camilla. Was good to see her trusty old pearls with the choker show up again after a while

I tend to agree Muriel. I also think it would be a good idea for her to do some 'unofficial, private' visits to some of her charities. Word will get out and she WILL be seen as doing something.
She has been doing that since long before she married Charles. Being unofficial is not very easy with a security contingent with you - besides it is must be very hard on some charities to suddenly be inundated with Camilla, security and the press.

8 to July 13, 2008.

It will be interesting to see which one if any the Daily Mail chooses to use as I believe they sponsor the Hampron Court FLower Show.

She has been doing that since long before she married Charles. Being unofficial is not very easy with a security contingent with you - besides it is must be very hard on some charities to suddenly be inundated with Camilla, security and the press.
Not just hard on the charities, many people don't want to be splashed all over the media just because they are ill or have a disability. :flowers:
Camilla will probably be chuckling about this one for ages, but glad to see the hair is all her own! :ROFLMAO:

:)I'm aware of the list of patronages. But sorry, I still think she is work-shy. I don't want to say what Mr Bolland said about her being monumentally [fill in the blank], but surely there must be something to it. Also, now we hear that his Private Secretary, Elizabeth Buchanan, is leaving at the end of the year. Supposedly, the real reason is because there's tension between her and Camilla over her influence on Charles (hmmm...) and Ms Buchanan's feeling that Camilla doesn't fully carry her weight. I'm not suggesting everything written in papers is true, but when you continue to see the same theme and when you add the vacations and other absences, it's difficult not to think there's SOMETHING to it all. :)

That "something" could be a number of things, though. The Daily Mail seems to have a fairly constant refrain that this or that bad thing is happening at Clarence House because Camilla is falling out with people left and right, even when other newspapers are reporting different causes. The Mail was the paper that spearheaded the "the evil homewrecker mustn't go to Diana's memorial service" campaign, and it's so rare that it writes a genuinely positive piece about Camilla (or lets pro-Camilla comments get into the response section of the website) that its motivation and standard of accuracy does become an issue.

And Marg.... I don't think it's necessary to call people "ignorant, misguided or just plain mean spirited" simply because they have a different point of view. I was under the impression that we all have a right to express our opinions in the subject matter in a courteous manner. Warren can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think MARG was talking more about the people who dismiss everything Camilla does, not the people who are just saying that she doesn't have a high enough profile, if I'm understanding MARG's comment "even if her work behind the scenes is rated as no work at all" correctly.

"I think MARG was talking more about the people who dismiss everything Camilla does, not the people who are just saying that she doesn't have a high enough profile, if I'm understanding MARG's comment "even if her work behind the scenes is rated as no work at all" correctly.
You are indeed correct. Thank you Elspeth. :flowers:

The Duchess looks very nice in those pics with the flowers. The third one in the wind is funny. She looks very lighthearted amongst those pretty flowers. Good to see.

Last edited:
Good grief. Well, people will always make mountains out of molehills, and anything to get their 15 minutes of fame. How on earth could something so silly looking even have a hint of racism? It's really silly. But then again, when you have a person that can garner media attention in the way that Camilla does, anything that associates "your" name with hers is still a solid mention.

Dolls, Race, And Camilla

Being an African American I had no idea what a gollywog or golly doll was. I spent some time researching this today. The term is degoratory and refers to someone with black skin similar to coon. The doll was featured in the 40s and 50s as part of the Noddy stories and that figure has been used in advertisement.
Many African Americans including my mother collect black memorabilla similar to this doll. Some of it has artistic value and all of it has historic value.
Camilla seems to have a good relationship with blacks and all groups.
She is certainly warmer that most "aristocrats".

It almost seems like a set up to me. No press coverage of her at the flower show and then a zoom in on a tiny doll in the back of the car while she is leaving?

The UK like the US has many racial problems and diversity issues--time should be spent on more important ones like police brutality and racial profiling, drugs, crime, jobs, education.....NOT DOLLS

A

Yawn..... yawn...... here we go again - it's a Gollywog for godness sake!!! Why don't the anti-racists and Bleeding Heart Brigade make an issue about the white skinned, blonde haired Barbie Doll?

For years, the Gollywog was just a doll that happened to have a black face. This was in the good old days before most of the world fell over themselves trying to be "politically correct".

If the Duchess of Cornwall wants a Gollywog keyring, it's her choice. Get over it!

Last edited:
Thank you for your good post sthreats!:flowers:

What a rubbish to bring this golly doll ( or whatever its name is...) together with racism or ( like some Australian newspapers do today) with the wish to return to colonial rules.:bang:
Everybody who knows a bit about the Duchess should know that she (like her husband) has an open mind for all human beings!

Oh, I don't know folks, perhaps we should launch a racism claim against the makers of white rag dolls. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom