Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 17: June 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah looks almost like two different women at the two events. In the day event, she looks fantastic (though I must admit her skirt's too short); but she doesn't look well at all in the evening. Perhaps she was very tired and the make-up couldn't hide it. Good for Sarah though for being involved with such great causes!

Wow, those blue tights in pix 15, oh my.
Pix 32 w/ Beatrice was very flattering of Sarah, but why the matchy matchy w/ Beatrice, especially since the style was an unfortunate choice for Beatrice.

Wow they really skipped a lot of her really miss outfits. I think they were more then kinds to her. But she still manages to look worse for wear many times. Some of the outfits seem at least a size too small and someone most of told her she looked great in black and green. It's actually when she is wearing other colours she looks the best. Don't know why 2 teenage girls are dressed the same as the mother which is something Sarah used to do and still does to some extent.

Yes she has been although I think she has had several relationships a number of which she has kept quiet about. It suits her more for people to think she and Andrew are pining for each other.

:previous: Sarah does have a wonderful voice; it's rich and plummy. I think that this could be a career for her.

Well, yes, but wouldn't it be great if she turned out to be a natural at doing voice-overs? A dignified and satisfying career, I would think.

It's been brought up before. She has a lovely voice, and I do think that would make for a very nice, uncontroversial and rather plum career direction for her.

Would be nice to see her get more work like this.

I wasn't thinking about what might or might not be good for Sarah.
Didn't she already try to capitalize on the 911 tragedy by writing a children's book which was refused publication by several legitimate publishers because it was insensitive to and would be offensive to people in the United States? Here's a link about that:
Sarah Ferguson's 9/11 Children's Book Rejected By Publishers For Being 'Too Offensive To Publish'

After finding this http://www.contactmusic.com/news/screenwriter-recalls-fergies-911-horror_1024763 I guess I'll have to moderate my stance a bit, still, I wish they'd found someone whom I respected for the voice.

Last edited:
We really don't know what was in the book that people would have found offensive. Anything done right after a tragedy, anything that could be deemed taking commercial advantage, would be offensive. But if a person goes back after a few years and makes a reasoned documentary, I don't see a problem with that at all.

The party.
The Duchess of York arrives at Naomi's billionaire's birthday bash | Mail Online
And a charity appearance conveniently located where the party is.
Duchess of York visits Delhi to raise funds for royal charity... as she vows to be 'more than a name in the writing paper' | Mail Online

Interesting that she calls herself a public figure stating "my job here is to learn about the foundation's projects and then find rich people to fund it's mobile hospital." One hopes this is a quote taken out of context and that she has in fact researched this foundation thoroughly before lending her support to it and before asking others to donate funds.

The cynic in me wonders if she looked for a charity visit to coincide with the big party. Fergie has been known to do this to get free flights over the years. I do hate that they call her royalty she isn't and hasn't been for a long time. I have to say her choice in friends is as bad as her husbands Naomi Campbell doesn't have such a bad reputation cause she is misunderstood she is not a nice person. I wonder if Sarah hit up her and her billionaire boyfriend for some money for this charity? By the way Sarah not looking good and her weight has come back on the tummy I'm wondering if Weight Watchers is going to call her again.

Naomi Campbell makes me retch. Just my opinion. Talk about being in love with one's self. Doesn't she go around slapping people?
:wacko:

Yes but she has the same victim mindset that Sarah has so I can see why they are friends. Everything she does is someone else fault.......

I think it's rather harsh to accuse her of cynicism in supporting this charity, as the article suggests that it is something very personal to her - her friend suffered a serious head injury, so she is supporting his foundation to help others. And since Mr Voronin and Ms Campbell are apparently paying for the flights, it's not as if the charity is paying for her to be there.

The other piece of news which was interesting in the DM article was that her historical novel is still in the pipeline. It's been delayed and delayed for 5 or 6 years - will be interesting to see if it does see the light of day...

The cynic in me wonders if she looked for a charity visit to coincide with the big party. Fergie has been known to do this to get free flights over the years. QUOTE]

My inner down-to-earth little person is saying the same thing as your cynic one!

The cynic in me wonders if she looked for a charity visit to coincide with the big party. Fergie has been known to do this to get free flights over the years. QUOTE]

My inner down-to-earth little person is saying the same thing as your cynic one!

That's what I thought too. ;)

(I think everything Fergie does is for her own self-interest; I have always heard that she doesn't do any charity work without recompense. However, this may be inaccurate, so if anyone knows differently, please mention it).

Does anyone have any reason to think that she uses charity trips to get free flights for leisure purposes, or is this just another piece of anti-Sarah prejudice? The DM article for India stated that flights were being provided for the birthday guests, so in this case at least it's the other way around. Sarah's flight was provided, so she could go to the birthday party. She could have just soent time enjoying herself but instead chose to spend some time engaged in charity work while she was in India.

Also, I wonder how her charity trips in the past to places like Liberia and Romania fit into this theory. I doubt there are many swanky parties for her to attend there!

Whilst I recognize that there are things about Sarah that many feel can be legitimately criticised - the "scandals", overspending, etc. (although in my view, people rush to judgment far too easily on these) - surely she does deserve respect for her charity work. She works so hard and with such passion to help others. Whatever people feel about other things in her life, that has to mean something!

Also, fascinating to see pictures of the party venue, thanks for posting that, sndral. It looks beautiful!

It came out in one of the books written by one of the guys who was hanging around her for sometime. He said Sarah would often want to go somewhere so she would seek out a charity gig so her fares would be paid and she would have a good excuse to be there. Sarah has done this many times and going by the negative comments most don't buy her charitable act anymore. Sarah went to a very over the top party with lot's of very wealthy people. She goes and sees a charity so people won't just paint her as a partygoer. It's was hardly a chore for her it was a 3 day party she got all her expenses paid and she went and spent an hour or two at a charity. Maybe it was to ease her own mind but she certainly made sure everyone knew about it didnt she? Considering how little we have seen her do any charity work it makes you wonder. Sarah has no one else to blame but herself her excesses are well documented over the years and she hasn't changed she just has this whole she wants to be loved rubbish she sprouts off. Problem I see with Sarah is it is all someone elses fault she has never taken responsiblity for any of her own actions. Then wonders why people are so mean to her when she does stuff like this. It's hardly charity work when you get flown somewhere first class get put into a top hotel then spend a few days partying with the elite. No word either if she managed to do as she claimed and that is to get the wealthy to support the charity either.

Well, here's a list, just off the top of my head, of causes Sarah has been involved with over the last few years:

Teenage cancer (with Beatrice), Great Ormond Street Hospital, multiple sclerosis, legacy of civil wars in Liberia and Sierra Leone, human trafficking and slavery, child literacy and schooling in the developing world, access to education for girls, sickle cell anaemia, health and obesity issues, American Cancer Society, community cohesion in inner city areas, children in Poland with genetic problems from Chernobyl, conditions in Turkish and Romanian orphanages, head injuries in India.

Obviously, she wouldn't have paid for these flights, but her presence surely makes a difference in terms of campaigning and raising funds. Most of Sarah's work is not reported in the mainstream press, but it's very clear to me that she is passionate about using her position to help others, and she does work hard at it. Nobody obliges her to do any of this. She does it because she cares deeply about others, and wants to make a difference!

, but it's very clear to me that she is passionate about using her position to help others, and she does work hard at it. Nobody obliges her to do any of this. She does it because she cares deeply about others, and wants to make a difference!

Perhaps but IMO part of the reasoning is that without this she would get even less attention than she does now and she is IMO a person who craves public attention in order to validate herself. Since she has no known source of real income I just cannot believe that her "charity work" does not involve some sort of financial gain beyond paying for her travel expenses.

Last edited:
Maybe if she was to focus on a FEW charities and not «spread» herself extremily thin on so many causes, maybe then I would believe in her hum hum «sincerity». Concentrating on a few causes and really working with them - through thick and thin not just for photo ops - to get some results would be meaningful. Sarah is no longer a major royal or an A-list personality that can do a one-time-showup that could bring results. Seeing her working for charities outside of UK makes me smile widely as I so don't believe in her power of attraction or in her as a true role model. Keeping her personna as in the good old days is silly IMO and the main reason why I so often don't buy her act. Sorry if I offended anyone (but today I'm in a mood to call a duck a duck when it looks, walks and talks like a duck!)

It's very difficult to convince people of Sarah's sincerity, as we can't see inside her mind. But I'd ask anyone who doubts her to watch the Turkish / Romanian orphanages programme, most of which you can see on Youtube. Yes, there are cameras, of course, but part of the impact that a public figure like her can have is in publicising causes. And I feel that her knowledge, her sincerity and her commitment come through verystrongly in this documentary. For me it iis a fantastic example for Beatrice and Eugenie, who are also very impressive in this, and clearly also care deeply about the charites they are involved in. I really feel some of that comes from Sarah.

It's very difficult to convince people of Sarah's sincerity, as we can't see inside her mind. But I'd ask anyone who doubts her to watch the Turkish / Romanian orphanages programme, most of which you can see on Youtube. Yes, there are cameras, of course, but part of the impact that a public figure like her can have is in publicising causes. And I feel that her knowledge, her sincerity and her commitment come through verystrongly in this documentary. For me it iis a fantastic example for Beatrice and Eugenie, who are also very impressive in this, and clearly also care deeply about the charites they are involved in. I really feel some of that comes from Sarah.
My personal feeling is that her daughters were badly used in that whole situation. While Sarah can do as she wishes, her daughters are still Princesses of the UK and should not be put in controversial situations in foreign countries. The orphans situation is obviously an important one but at the end of the day it was a tv program that publicised Sarah (I do wonder how much she earned for her charity efforts as I am sure the tv program paid her for her appearance) and I cannot recall her continuing work on the problem in Roumania. Turkey I can understand her staying away from since she risks being imprisoned there.
I know you are a great fan of hers but her past behaviours do call into question the sincerity all of her efforts. Shje might better serve herself and her charities by focussing on just one or two of them and really getting down and dirty with the day to day work of the charity instead of flitting around the world attending charity parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom