The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
If it always was so easy...
I agree about the b-list, z-list, footballers' wives, and other (as you say in Britain) "WAG" types etc. But I always thought of Kate Moss as being very A-list. Fame has really gotten out of control. You used to have genuine glamorous socialites, royalty, nobility, actors, musicians, writers, models. Now you have all these Almost Famous types, like Hilton Sister copycats, just hopping onto the famous-for-being-famous bandwagon, going to parties, getting drunk, falling down, acting stupid, and being famous for it. And these people without acting talent are the new movie/TV stars.
Anyone who squeezes into a size-zero and has a famous parent is a model these days, whereas in the 80s the real models were the most gorgeous people on earth. It's sad.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i think it's unfair to say that they only go to these clubs solely for the purpose of being photographed. .
So very true Duchess!!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 03:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i think it's unfair to say that they only go to these clubs solely for the purpose of being photographed.
Sorry then you got my message wrong. I did not want to suggest that Kate etc go there for this purpose but all others (celebs) certainly do; therefore the paps are around these places and if Kate etc decide to go there they get the same coverage those celebrities and they can't (or don't wont to hence they go there) escape. The paps know it's worth a lot of money to hang around as most guests will be drunk as hell or at least squiffy, incl Princes Harry and William and Kate.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
This is certainly true. On the other hand we only assume they are a couple because nothing has been confirmed. Maybe they are just best pals.
I sure as hell hope Kate isn't just putting up with the paps to be William's pal. In that case she can go hang out at clubs with a total nobody and save the pal chitchat with William for private. Or least she can avoid walking in and out of the club with him.

Quote:
Maxima is a happy soul whilst Kate can come across abit grumpy
I don't know if the Dutch press is as agressive as the british but I recall that Maxima needed abit protection from Deutsche Bank to get rid of the paps. However, her big advantage was that she probably already knew WA would pop the question at some point - not sure Kate can take that for granted.
I don't know about the Dutch or Belgian paps either. I do know that outside of Europe Willem-Alexander and Beatrix aren't as well known as William and Charles so that may dictate the prices for pap pictures. I don't think that Willem-Alexander came with a lot of baggage except for the crown itself which is why Maxima possibly could just enjoy a relatively normal dating situation. I think he had one rebellous period where he didn't get along with his parents and didn't want to be King but then I think they sent him away, either to New York or London where he could live incognito and he got over that. A William or Charles couldn't do that.

But William comes with a lot of baggage other than the crown. He is the product of perhaps the nastiest and most publicly vindictive marriage breakdown in history where members of the press were actively recruited to take sides and hurl bombs at the other side. At the end his mother was killed from an accident resulting from a high speed chase with the papparazzi. He has got to have scars after that and his attitudes towards the press was definitely a casualty of the whole situation. Its not really the best situation but I think its unavoidable and these issues don't disappear overnight; he's just going to have to work through them.

So I do think its more important for William and Kate to spend time sorting out their real issues - do they really want to spend the rest of their lives together or more simply do they like the flesh and blood person thats on the other side of the table? rather than coming up with a public relations persona that plays well with the press. I haven't seen pictures of them in public lately so maybe that is what they are doing. Or perhaps they have broken up again and decided after the first public breakup to make this one private.

Their mistakes in regards to the press are as I see it a part of working through these issues and I think its an unavoidable side effect of growing up and having to sort out a lot of other things besides how to deal with the press. I would have been very embarassed as a young twenty something to have the press publish some of my outings in clubs. It may be that the press coverage has gotten so harsh and unforgiving that William and Kate aren't allowed this luxury to grow up and make mistakes in front of the cameras but it doesn't change the fact that William didn't ask for this press coverage and just being born in the family, is no guarantee that he's a natural in knowing how to deal with the situation.

Who knows? But at least with the problems they've had with the press I certainly hope they're taking time to sort themselves out because if their main efforts are going towards handling the press, they aren't handling them that well lately.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Sorry then you got my message wrong. I did not want to suggest that Kate etc go there for this purpose but all others (celebs) certainly do; therefore the paps are around these places and if Kate etc decide to go there they get the same coverage those celebrities and they can't (or don't wont to hence they go there) escape. The paps know it's worth a lot of money to hang around as most guests will be drunk as hell or at least squiffy, incl Princes Harry and William and Kate.
sorry for the misunderstanding but thanks for your clarification. i agree that a lot of celebs go to these places for the purpose of being seen. after all, the old saying is no publicity is bad publicity and it's part of their business to be seen...some of them just need to get a better handle on being seen in the best possible light.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I agree about the b-list, z-list, footballers' wives, and other (as you say in Britain) "WAG" types etc. But I always thought of Kate Moss as being very A-list. Fame has really gotten out of control.
Yes it has. Kate Moss used to be very A list but her connections to Pete D have changed that to the worse. And this is the problem: there are tons of Z list celebs who are in the papers for either showing off their body parts, being drunk or on drugs (sad examples Pete Doherty & Amy Whinehouse). You can actually see that they took cocaine (white stuff on their clothes) or heroin (bloody clothes) and papers print it what a sick role model for young people as their "fame" somehow suggests that you can take drugs and still do ok Apart from maybe Amy Whinehouse there no substance at all to these people - different to Britney, who these days is in the papers for drugs but at least she used to have a superstar career.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Yes it has. Kate Moss used to be very A list but her connections to Pete D have changed that to the worse. And this is the problem: there are tons of Z list celebs who are in the papers for either showing off their body parts, being drunk or on drugs (sad examples Pete Doherty & Amy Whinehouse). You can actually see that they took cocaine (white stuff on their clothes) or heroin (bloody clothes) and papers print it what a sick role model for young people as their "fame" somehow suggests that you can take drugs and still do ok Apart from maybe Amy Whinehouse there no substance at all to these people - different to Britney, who these days is in the papers for drugs but at least she used to have a superstar career.
but don't you think that is the way society is going? It only matters that you are noticed no matter what you're noticed for!

That's the only reason I can see for these ridiculous game shows like Survivor and Big Brother. Who in their right mind would agee to a situation where they would be abused if the mere attention on the national TV weren't worth enough to offset the abuse?

Networks admit they hire people just to make fun of them and to ridicule them but still they sign up in droves and the television viewing public is glued to the screen season after season.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-28-2007, 02:46 AM
Nobility

A new article has appeared in the Daily Mail about Prince William and Catherine.

William tells Kate: You're my bride, but not till 2009
William tells Kate: You're my bride, but not till 2009 | the Daily Mail

Quote:
"...sources close to William, a second lieutenant in the Household Cavalry, say that although the couple are dating again, Kate will have to wait until at least July 2009 to be his bride.

...William is very happy at the moment and everything is great with him and Kate, but he's aware that now their romance is back on track all the speculation about a Royal wedding will start up again.... If William has his way there probably won't be a wedding until July 2009 when he finishes all his military training commitments."
It's nice to finally have a date mentioned! This article even acknowledges that Prince William won't have Kate as his guest for Christmas at Sandringham.

Perhaps this will help to keep the tabloid press from indulging in endless speculation about Kate's appearance at Christmas lunch with the Queen.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

They may mention a 'date' but it is still all speculation!

The normal unnamed sources, a friend, According to friends, one friend, a friend. followed by the author saying - I'm also told.

The article is without any substance at all!
Old 10-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
but don't you think that is the way society is going? It only matters that you are noticed no matter what you're noticed for! ...
Exactly. It reflects society. Obviously there is a demand for this kind of trash and the paps just do their job (well paid, btw). Sadly London is one of the capitals of trash, together with LA I guess.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaR View Post
William tells Kate: You're my bride, but not till 2009
William tells Kate: You're my bride, but not till 2009 | the Daily Mail
As much as I want to believe that they are having serious discussions about their relationship and its future, I have to agree with Skydragon about the "date". I think the writer is using the same date that has been tossed out many times by the speculation about his "popping the question". Every article that discusses it has been saying "by 2009" because the media have decided that is their safe year. Didn't Clarence House confirm that is when William will switch from armed forces to diplomatic service? (Foreign Office?) The tabloids have just decided it's safe to put off the guesses until the armed forces stuff are done.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Aristocracy

It's so hard to decide who to believe. The papers are always just full of speculation..most of the time anyway.
This is one of those times that we shall just have to wait and see unless William says something directly to the press that could be a solid tip-off. I doubt he will unless he slips up. But being so cautious and private I'm not holding my breath.
It seems like an awfully long time to wait for an engagement especially under the circumstances. Will Kate and William for that matter be able to put up with the stalkazazzi for another year or more? i doubt it . How could anyone put up with those kinds of intrusions for that long a time??/
Old 10-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygoogles View Post
It seems like an awfully long time to wait for an engagement especially under the circumstances. Will Kate and William for that matter be able to put up with the stalkazazzi for another year or more? i doubt it . How could anyone put up with those kinds of intrusions for that long a time??/
If they are going to get married, why don't they just do it?! Wouldn't it be easier than *****footing around and playing games with the paps? Get married and get on with life, I say!

ETA. OMG! Look what's been disallowed by the internet police. *giggles to self*
Old 10-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
If they are going to get married, why don't they just do it?! Wouldn't it be easier than *****footing around and playing games with the paps? Get married and get on with life, I say!

ETA. OMG! Look what's been disallowed by the internet police. *giggles to self*
That's what I say too which makes me believe that the Daily Mail made up the story.

However, even if William DID propose to Kate, with a wedding date of July 2009 its very likely that the wedding won't happen. A lot can happen in two years; they could change their minds.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Royal Highness

I think William has told Kate that he really cares but needs to be groomed to be a King. I think from the beginning of his relationship with Kate he has been up front with her. I don't think their dating is too long. Many people now a days do that. I just think the press has put so much pressure on the couple that they broke up. If the relationship is meant to be it will. I just wish the press would leave them alone.

Also, I just hope for Kate's well being that she will get on with her career as a photographer and in a year or so have a show of her work.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Royal Highness

is she considering a career as a photographer? i hadn't heard that. i think it's great if she has the talent.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Aristocracy

What does everyone think, when Prince William starts his training as a pilot next year (in terms of his relationship with Kate)? I wonder how their relationship is going to be by then, for sure not vacations.

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, in Time Magazine
Old 10-28-2007, 04:37 PM

I believe that the Clarence House release states that he will begin the RAF stint (or navy; I forgot which one is first) in January.

I bet their next vacation abroad will be for skiing. Just a personal guess though.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I believe that the Clarence House release states that he will begin the RAF stint (or navy; I forgot which one is first) in January.
RAF
Old 10-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Nobility

Well, I suppose they've been in the 'real world' for two years now, and if they survive William's stint in the RAF and stand the test of time then it's the real thing.

Also, I really hope they do stand the test of time because I think Kate is lovely, and great for William.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, prince william