Prince Harry Current Events 25: August 2010-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I placed the word "probably" in my post.
He went from one club (with Chelsy) to Beaufort House - it is IMO likely to assume he was going onto another club rather than going home.
The photographer could no way have assumed that the driver of the vehicle would run him over and break his leg, could he?

He went from one club (with Chelsy) to Beaufort House - it is IMO likely to assume he was going onto another club rather than going home.
The photographer could no way have assumed that the driver of the vehicle would run him over and break his leg, could he?

At the same time, when there is so much going on, it is a mistake for anyone to assume that the driver saw them in the way. BOTH should be paying attention- and mistakes happen under the best of circumstances.

IMO- the photographer was distracted trying to get the best shot he could- and the driver was probably distracted, perhaps, by one of the other people surrounding the car.

I feel bad for the driver in this case. :ermm:

Bad for the driver, because he paid less attention than the photographer and broke someones leg?

Lumutqueen said:
Bad for the driver, because he paid less attention than the photographer and broke someones leg?

I don't want to speak for another poster but I took her sentiment to mean- the driver probably didn't intentionally mean to run the guy over and break his leg, it was an accident and he will be blamed when the whole thing was probably a huge crazy accident with photogs and a prince and I can imagine a crazy situation and possibly the driver will get an unfair amount of blame- accidents do happen.

Bur please correct me if I misspoke- that's just how I saw the comment

Fair enough, I guess it's just not the assumption I automatically would have jumped to, but from the tone of many of your posts I think you might be slightly more cynical than I am...not a dig, promise!

The driver may not have been able to guess he was going to be hit, definitely not, but in all honesty, when you're surrounding a vehicle that is clearly trying to leave a location, it's dark and there are dozens (if not hundreds) of lights flashing at the drivers face, is it not a risk you take in joining the throng? I maintain both parties needed to be more aware of what was happening around them. It was a horrible accident that I fully believe could have been avoided.

Cynical :lol: More like jealous, the fact he can go night club to night club so easily. :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps if royalty had a better repour <<---- possible incorrect spelling, :ROFLMAO: with the journalists, the surrounding of vehicles, the accidents wouldn't occur?

Perhaps if royalty had a better repour <<---- possible incorrect spelling

it's 'rapport' - but i had to look it up myself!!!

Britters- That was the point I meant to make. This can't be the first time the photographer has been out and I'm sure he was well aware that there were tons of flash bulbs going off in the driver's face. Yes, some blame has to be placed on the driver, but the photographer himself must have been in the way of the vehicle in order to be hit and even if he didn't unless this is his first time out as a photographer he should have been aware of the risks he was taking. The photographer has to take some of the blame for putting himself in the situation of having been hit- kind of like a pedestrian jumping into traffic during rush hour.

In that situation it is easy to misjudge where people are. MRSJ btw was right in her assumptions of what I said.

I've also been wondering why we haven't heard more from the photographer himself- I've been reading a lot of second-hand stuff but very few actual statements from the photographer that was hit.

Last edited:
The driver may not have been able to guess he was going to be hit, definitely not, but in all honesty, when you're surrounding a vehicle that is clearly trying to leave a location, it's dark and there are dozens (if not hundreds) of lights flashing at the drivers face, is it not a risk you take in joining the throng? I maintain both parties needed to be more aware of what was happening around them. It was a horrible accident that I fully believe could have been avoided.

There is something about this whole story that is perplexing to me. I went back and reread the article again to make sure I wasn't seeing things too. It plainly states twice.. once under a photograph and once in the body of the article that Harry was in an unmarked police car. Since when is Harry ferried about from nightclubs by the police force? Could it have been because the crowd was so unruly outside the place that they had to call for police backup? An officer assigned to this particular unmarked car would have had crowd control training I would presume. Its very possible too that this photographer took extreme risks for the photos and actually jumped in front of the car to get "the" photo?

As he got into an unmarked police car on his way home it accidentally ran over a photographer and it is believed his leg is broken.

Read more: Prince Harry and Chelsy Davy pictured leaving nightclub together | Mail Online

Harry's security, as is all the Royals' security, is provided by the Metropolitan Police, London's police service. So, he's probably in police cars most of the time. Isn't this correct?

IMHO I suspect that there is a predefined protocol about what the driver is supposed to do in a case like this and I would suspect that the protocol included getting the principal (Harry) away from the scene as quickly as possible in case it is an ambush. I would also suppose the protocol includes sending notice so that police and help would arrive on the scene as quickly as possible and not leave the injured to lie there if it isn't a ruse. I'm sure that no one was being callous towards the injured man but in the immediate moments of the incident, training and protocol must be followed and that would mean getting Harry out of the area.

Nitefeatherz said:
I've also been wondering why we haven't heard more from the photographer himself- I've been reading a lot of second-hand stuff but very few actual statements from the photographer that was hit.

Not sure how it works in England but in America that would be because he's selling his exclusive to a tabloid or planning to sue- or both! ;)

Harry really needs to clean up his act. As for all the excuses about all those lights, etc., a person isn't going to look like they don't know where they are if they're not fall down, stupid drunk. He is becoming an alcoholic, in my opinion. It's all he seems to do.

What a disappointment.

1) He does more things than just drink
2) You don't know why he drinks (which should be quite important to know if you want to call someone an alcoholic with accuracy), how much he drinks or what impact it has on him.

Your judgement is based on paparazzo that makes a living in creating stories. Bright flashing light after you've been in a dark place can make it look worst than it actually is. I don't think Harry is a disappointment at all. He's just enjoying himself as any other 25 year old does - only different are the tabloids writing stories about his partying...

Last edited:
I spend half my year in Southern California (Malibu), and we have had to pass paparazzi laws to keep things like this from happening routinely. Paparazzi have to keep a certain distance from moving cars, I believe (just like all other persons on the street are supposed to do). Being in a street for a reason other than passing to the other side is a pedestrian misdemeanor (and jaywalking is a misdemeanor too - which means pedestrians have to be in cross walks).

Are there not laws like this in Britain?

That being said, here, the celebrities who truly don't want the (scary) hassle of constant paparazzi simply learn not to go out to the popular clubs, to have people in to their own homes, to rent homes so as to be able to change them once in awhile, or to simply find places outside the usual watering holes at which to hang out.

The thrill of hanging out in the "to be seen" places must always be weighed against the risks.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the driver, if anything. It may be that the princes need a cortège, rather than just one car. But, if he wants people to view him as sensible, he needs to keep such "appearances" to a minimum.

Are the police paid out of the Queen's budget? Anyone know? (We Americans are fascinated by such questions).

Are the police paid out of the Queen's budget? Anyone know? (We Americans are fascinated by such questions).

Its my understanding that the protection/security for the royals are paid out of the taxpayer's money. I can see a real need for personal protection officers going with them where ever they go especially after witnessing what has happened to the late Diana, Charles and Camilla recently and the scene just recently with Harry. What threw me for a loop is that this is the first time I've heard of Harry going in an unmarked police car. Last time with sneaking out with Chelsy it was a Jaguar and with Charles and Camilla they used one of the royal fleet of cars. The unmarked police car is what led me to believe that the scene was more unruly than normal. Chelsy and Harry were spotted leaving a place earlier to head to their destination and that well could have given time for more press to be alerted.

There is something about this whole story that is perplexing to me. I went back and reread the article again to make sure I wasn't seeing things too. It plainly states twice.. once under a photograph and once in the body of the article that Harry was in an unmarked police car. Since when is Harry ferried about from nightclubs by the police force? Could it have been because the crowd was so unruly outside the place that they had to call for police backup? An officer assigned to this particular unmarked car would have had crowd control training I would presume. Its very possible too that this photographer took extreme risks for the photos and actually jumped in front of the car to get "the" photo?

As he got into an unmarked police car on his way home it accidentally ran over a photographer and it is believed his leg is broken.

Read more: Prince Harry and Chelsy Davy pictured leaving nightclub together | Mail Online

Honestly, the only part of the story that the press has gotten correct is that there was a car w/PH in it & a pap was hit. Some reports are claiming Chelsy was there with PH. She wasn't -- she was at the Valentine wedding. This story has "grown legs" and I am dubious to the reports that it was an unmarked police car.

Also, there have been reports of PH & CD at a club together. They left the Brompton at the same time on Thursday night (early Friday morning, if you want to get technical.) Some reports have taken the photo of them leaving at the same time on THURSDAY & have "created" a story that the night in question was Friday night, and other reports say it happened on Saturday night in unison w/the car-hit-the-pap story. That isn't true, but the truth is irrelevant to the journos who reach for the low hanging fruit.

I feel sorry for the photographer but the paparazzi do get too close. They have no respect for the person whom they're photographing. They think they should be allowed a picture whenever and however. They're like a pack of wolves. I'm around paparazzi a lot and I know by experience that it's very very very annoying. They go crazy when they're trying to get a photo and then they blame what happens to them on somebody else. Harrys driver wouldn't have run over his leg if he had respected Harrys space.

On another note, I don't see the problem with Harry drinking and having fun.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what Prince Henry is doing with his military career? To me he seems to be doing more royal duties at the moment.:flowers:

Latest I heard was that he would switch base from Hampshire to somewhere in the midlands of England I think it was

I feel sorry for the photographer but the paparazzi do get too close. They have no respect for the person whom they're photographing. They think they should be allowed a picture whenever and however. They're like a pack of wolves. I'm around paparazzi a lot and I know by experience that it's very very very annoying. They go crazy when they're trying to get a photo and then they blame what happens to them on somebody else. Harrys driver wouldn't have run over his leg if he had respected Harrys space.

That's true; I read about the way they used to follow Catherine, trying to cut her off, staying right on the bumper of her car.
They'd try to force her to a higher speed.

It was so they could provoke a reaction (hopefully an angry tirade or gesture) that would make a story!

A few times she pulled over and begged them to stop because it was such a dangerous thing to do, but they always refused, telling her that if she didn't want to be followed, she should stop dating a prince!

This is interesting new. I am surprised that Ms. Middleton having lawyers would not have gone after the paparazzi since it risk her live. She and the prince have warned them though her lawyers for less.:ohmy:

Last edited by a moderator:
A few times she pulled over and begged them to stop because it was such a dangerous thing to do, but they always refused, telling her that if she didn't want to be followed, she should stop dating a prince!

That attitude is just ridiculous. It's one thing to stake out the places the Royals haunt and snap them as they enter and leave, and I can understand the photographers wanting to follow their cars in the hope of snapping them at their destination, but this sort of extreme behaviour crosses the line and becomes dangerous driving and should be treated as criminal behaviour and severely dealt with by the police and courts. Driving a car requires a person's full attention to assess and respond to ordinary risks; having some fool drive way too close and try to cut you off is totally unacceptable and should be punished severely, as should directing camera flashlights towards the occupants of cars.

Mirabel said:
That's true; I read about the way they used to follow Catherine, trying to cut her off, staying right on the bumper of her car. They'd try to force her to a higher speed.
Really? I'd imagine after how his mother died William would have has his lawyers all over the paps for such behaviour for sure.....if it happened that's trully awful of them (the photographers)

I can't imagine that they wouldn't complain- tailgating and cutting someone off are both illegal. On top of that they are driving recklessly which I'm sure is ALSO illegal. Pop a policeman in with Ms. Middleton and you have the word of a police bodyguard to add to the witness report.

I totally believe the press (at least a few members of it) would do stupid things like that to get that "perfect shot." There are even a few paparazzi in Hollywood who have caused accidents in order to get a shot. I've always thought they must be pretty awful photographers and pretty desperate to do something like that.

About the Dubai trip, Richard Palmer (of the Express) is tweeting that as of yesterday, PH's office was discussing the Dubai trip & gave no indication that it might be canceled. Canceling the event has bigger ramifications than a scrapped fundraiser for Sentebale. It might be too soon to believe The Sun's "exclusive" report.

Did not another royal house cancel their up incoming trip? I know the Queen of Denmark travel there with no problems. But with Prince Henry being a top royal and a soldier I don't doubt this report. But to really be sure we should wait for an official responds.

georgiea said:
Did not another royal house cancel their up incoming trip? I know the Queen of Denmark travel there with no problems. But with Prince Henry being a top royal and a soldier I don't doubt this report. But to really be sure we should wait for an official responds.

I believe Queen Beatrix did cancel an official state visit to the region, Oman I believe.....

Update- Richard now saying PH canceled trip because it would be inappropriate to play polo with so many other major things occuring.... I say good for Harry!

Last edited:
Really? I'd imagine after how his mother died William would have has his lawyers all over the paps for such behaviour for sure.....if it happened that's trully awful of them (the photographers)

I heard William did take action when the behavior persisted, getting Scotland Yard to offer Kate a measure of protection. And lawyers did contact the press office, etc.
But the behavior I described happened before that.

(Still, I don't think anyone has much control over the paparazzi, as this latest incident shows).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom