The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Aristocracy

Um, please read the links you post :-)

The articles say that the space shuttle program for low orbit earth trips has been canceled, not all space travel. The old plan has been replaced with a far more ambitious goal of travel to mars and to an asteroid.

Obama did not end the space program, he canceled a particular program that was 9 years behind schedule and replaced it with the NASA Authorization Act of 2010: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Au...on_Act_of_2010

Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen2
Because there was no Congressional funding or presidential mandate for a follow-on to the Shuttle, US manned flights are on hiatus for a while. There was a program called Constellation to build hardware and prepare to return to the moon, but Obama in all ways important killed it.

Constellation program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NASA keeps trying but the politicians get in the way.

Just remember, Harry might not be SOL after all, at least for sub-orbital flights.

Welcome | Virgin Galactic
Can you provide a link to this? It's the opposite of the information I read in the link you provided, which links to the updated and fully funded new plan. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator
Um, please read the links you post :-)

The articles say that the space shuttle program for low orbit earth trips has been canceled, not all space travel. The old plan has been replaced with a far more ambitious goal of travel to mars and to an asteroid.
Well my link clearly said no more space flights for now hence when in July it was the last space shuttle landing (a historic event) but they are developing something else as an alternative and are renting seats on Russian shuttles so....I read my article and it backed up my point
Old 08-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic with Harry.

If one wants to debate the future of the American space program, I am sure there is an appropriate forum for that.

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 08-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Prince Harry warned not to commit himself to attending diamond jubilee celebrations - Telegraph

In a telling illustration of how the cuts to military spending are affecting all servicemen, Prince Harry has been told by his superior officers not to commit himself to attending his grandmother’s diamond jubilee celebrations or the Olympics.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry is a serviceman first and foremost. Of course he can't just "opt in" or out of his job. I don't think the British public would forgive him...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

One thing for sure. If Harry lands on the moon he will be guaranteed that there's not a hoard of paps waiting there for him.
Love it!!!
That has to win quote of the month
Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Aristocracy

I don't have a link, but that was my understanding, too - most of the NASA programs have been scrapped. I would still like to see Prince Harry do something with NASA, though, if there's something for him to do.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Courtier

I think if Harry wants to go he will go the Virgin route he doesn't need NASA and I don't see him moving to the US anytime soon. He is in the Army and he loves it I don't see him giving it up. Harry hated studying that is why he didn't go to Uni. It is a long way off yet and he may change his mind. But it would be a good way to avoid the paps!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Prince Harry warned not to commit himself to attending diamond jubilee celebrations - Telegraph

In a telling illustration of how the cuts to military spending are affecting all servicemen, Prince Harry has been told by his superior officers not to commit himself to attending his grandmother’s diamond jubilee celebrations or the Olympics.
This puts Harry ( and his commander) in a tough spot. It would be unfair, and he would be criticized if the military made special allowances for him to attend royal functions. Yet, if he does not attend, some people will say he is not doing his royal duties if he does deploy. Which I disagree with, as plenty of Royal men have given their service in the Armed Forces. It is a royal duty.
And the military cannot get away from the fact, that Harry's royal status, mainly his security plays a factor in whether he gets deployed. If he does not get deployed, for valid reasons, such as security, or because he is not needed at the time of the celebrations, some people are still going to deny the facts, and criticize him for accepting " royal treatment" and his military superiors for giving it. I do not envy Harry or his leaders in this situation.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
This puts Harry ( and his commander) in a tough spot. It would be unfair, and he would be criticized if the military made special allowances for him to attend royal functions. Yet, if he does not attend, some people will say he is not doing his royal duties if he does deploy. Which I disagree with, as plenty of Royal men have given their service in the Armed Forces. It is a royal duty.
And the military cannot get away from the fact, that Harry's royal status, mainly his security plays a factor in whether he gets deployed. If he does not get deployed, for valid reasons, such as security, or because he is not needed at the time of the celebrations, some people are still going to deny the facts, and criticize him for accepting " royal treatment" and his military superiors for giving it. I do not envy Harry or his leaders in this situation.
I think it could be a good thing for Harry to concentrate almost entirely on being a soldier for the next several years. At least for as long as there's still plenty of royals in his father's generation undertaking full time royal work. There's no doubt in my mind that's the life he would pick if he were completely free to choose. It's something that keeps him busy and something he seems to be quite good at. Not many people would have a problem with him serving his country in the forces as opposed to doing the occasional royal engagement, and IMO those few who did have a problem with it wouldn't dare complain too loudly. There's going to come a time when the royal family will need Harry to be a working royal but IMO that time is well in the future. In the meantime he's found challenging, meaningful work to keep him occupied which I think is great... especially given some of the things he's got up to in the past when he's had too much time on his hands.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Commoner

With respects to Zonk and without taking up too much time, this is my last post about US spaceflight. To find out what's in the works go here:

NASA Human Space Flight

Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Majesty

It seems that the Queen approves of Harry going back to the front lines.
Prince Harry says he has the Queen's blessing to go back on frontline and called for more help for injured soldiers - mirror.co.uk

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Courtier

Prinz Harry: Royal normal auf Mallorca - Leserreporter - Bild.de
Old 08-13-2011, 04:57 AM
Courtier

So does this mean Harry didn't get to go to Ibiza to see Flee? He seems nice and relaxed love the shades! LOL
Old 08-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Majesty

Very nice. He looks quite handsome in blue.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

How Harry's heroes conquered the pole... and he almost lost his ears | Mail Online
Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Now that is cold! Brrrrrr! Some of those pics are a hoot, and we could come up with great captions for them.
I hope somebody posts the doco on You Tube for us.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC One is screening "Harry's Arctic Heroes" at 9pm on August 23rd.

www.walkingwiththewounded.org.uk
Old 08-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Now that is cold! Brrrrrr! Some of those pics are a hoot, and we could come up with great captions for them.
I hope somebody posts the doco on You Tube for us.
It certainly does look a bit on the nippy side. Yikes. This would even be too cold for me (and I love me some nice and cold temperature ).

Closed Thread