The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

This is the first time I've heard of a polo player drawing blood like that. Does anyone else know of this happening with other players?

Prince Harry has always had an "edge", no pun intended. His lack of restraint could get him in serious, serious trouble someday.

I hope that the pony got some treatment and didn't develop an infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Today this newspaper publishes disturbing evidence of Harry committing animal cruelty by drawing blood from the flank of a polo pony with his spurs.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Prince Harry was accused of animal cruelty yesterday after his horse suffered a bloody injury during a polo match.
He was photographed riding a pony that appeared to have been stabbed in the flank by his spurs.
An onlooker claimed that the 25-year-old prince continued to ride his horse while blood was visible on its flank, but St James’s Palace said he stopped playing as soon as the injury was spotted.
Animal welfare groups accused Harry of being ‘heartless’.
The Hurlingham Polo

Read more: Prince Harry faces animal cruelty claim over polo pony's stab wound from his spur | Mail Online

Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope that Harry is exhonorated after an investigation--as long as the investigation is fair.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

That's awful. These spurs should be forbidden and I hope it was only an 'accident' from Harry's side.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Serene Highness

The spurs are no wheels or tiny blades but a horse can only get a wound like that from too long and too excessive abuse of the spur. Spurs shouldn't be worn in a polo match anyway. The horse is already wired up from the game and will respond before Harry even realises it.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM

The photos make me sad, and I really dont want to imagine Harry using his spurs as 'abuse' on the horse.

I, too, hope it was accidental.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

That is sad, but I'm sure Harry is devastated.
It's weird how a lot of his horses are getting hurt.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Aristocracy

They seem to be giving the impression that Harry is ok with it. How would they know he even saw the wound while riding? It's not a pretty thing to see and I do feel for the animal but to call him cruel is a bit much.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Well, if he did it on purpose and if, as EmpressMerel pointed out, the wound comes from too extensive abuse, then I find it quite cruel. But that's just my opinion...
Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt Harry would intentionally be cruel to his horse. I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt. The press is going to obviously be negative about it. It's curious why the photos are only now showing up now (2 mos later) from this polo game in Berkshire.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why would he intentionally hurt his own horse?
They should undoubtedly question him about it, but I'm sure it wasn't intentional.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

The title of the article is misleading and unfair. Cruelty implies that something was done on purpose and they have nothing to back this up.
And of course his horse received good medical care as they have people who take care of the horses at these polo matches.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Serene Highness

I think it was an accident.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Majesty

The article is contradictory about one thing and that is the crux of the cruelty thing to me:

When did Harry stop riding the horse? When the injury happened? When he knew the horse was injured? or When he felt like it?

If he knewingly rode the horse after it happened - and some suggestions are that he did and St James', of course, says he didn't, then he is certainly guilty of animal cruelty but if he did stop as soon as it happened/he knew about it then he isn't.

Proving when he knew about it will be an issue though as if he continued to ride after the injury who is going to be able to prove he knew the horse was injured.

So the series of events could have been like this:

Harry injures horse, Harry keeps riding, Harry found out about the injury, Harry stops riding - not guilty of cruelty

but...

if the series is like this:

Harry injures horse, Harry knew about injury, Harry keeps riding, Harry stops riding - Harry is guilty of cruelty and should be banned from polo for life (I simply can't abide animal cruelty and will only give a person one chance - guilty once banned for life).

One thing I do think though is that spurs should be totally banned as they are simply cruel.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I so agree. As in so many things, it comes down to "what did he know and when did he know it?"
Old 09-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I so agree. As in so many things, it comes down to "what did he know and when did he know it?"
This controversy actually popped up on AOL news this morning when I went to get my emails. The sad thing is that people that know very little about Prince Harry will totally believe he is guilty of cruelty to animals.

I think those of us that pay more attention to what goes on with Harry and what he does will realize that Harry will feel as bad about this horse as he did when his pony collapsed and died of a heart attack on the field. Another interesting tidbit was brought up in the article. It stated that if Harry had been using his spurs excessively during the game, there would have been injuries to the horse on both sides, whereas the injury was on one side only. If, perchance, Harry did use a spur overly hard, it was done unintentionally during game play. Anyone who has ever seen Harry with children and puppies (remember the Helping Paws dogs?) knows this man doesn't have a cruel bone in his body.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Majesty

Sorry but anyone who can kill animals and humans (he is a soldier and therefore has to be able to kill humans) must have a large number of cruel bones and other parts in his body.

He has already been accused, and found not proven due to lack of evidence, of killing protected birds and had a horse die shortly after he had been riding it. Although not found guilty there is a pattern here - all coincidence - maybe but then again - maybe not and just being protected due to being royal.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Why would he intentionally hurt his own horse?
Because he desperately wanted to win?
Old 09-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
The spurs are no wheels or tiny blades but a horse can only get a wound like that from too long and too excessive abuse of the spur. Spurs shouldn't be worn in a polo match anyway. The horse is already wired up from the game and will respond before Harry even realises it.
I've worked in an animal hospital for several years as a veterinary nurse. I could easily see an accident occurring without excessive abuse- like two horses colliding. Even if its a rounded nub I have seen much worse injuries that would be in even more impossible situations. I also think that if Harry were prone to using his spurs too aggressively there would be scars or previous injuries that were visible on -both- sides of the horse even if the injury only happened on the one side.

I also think that it would be easy for someone on a different side of the polo field (like in the stands) watching a match to see an injury on a Polo pony and have someone who was on the opposite side of the field not see it at the same time. A horse is a large animal- you can't possibly see both sides of him at once. It's possible that the spectators saw it first and that Harry's team or whoever was with may not have seen it until it was either pointed out to them or until Harry's horse, for example, turned around.

Frankly- considering the length of time that's occurred since the injury and the fact that this doesn't happen all the time I think that the reporters here are trying to rile people up in a slow news period and that we should give Harry the benefit of the doubt.

Harry is a public figure- people are almost always going to point fingers at him first. It also isn't fair (or even LEGAL where I'm from) to consider past acts as a way of judging character- especially when there wasn't even enough evidence to bring about charges or a trial in the two acts mentioned.

@ Iluvbertie: If you are saying he "must have a large number of cruel bones" in order to kill then you are also saying the same thing about all the soldiers (and police, and all of the other people who are willing to take a life in order to protect the civilian public) that they are the same way: Cruel. That's not fair. This statement also makes me wonder if you are a vegetarian- since someone has to kill the meat we eat at the supermarket and by eating meat/dairy/eggs or any other kind of animal by-product (such as insulin?) you are also supporting those "cruel" killers. IMO- that's not a very fair or justified opinion.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefeatherz View Post
@ Iluvbertie: If you are saying he "must have a large number of cruel bones" in order to kill then you are also saying the same thing about all the soldiers (and police, and all of the other people who are willing to take a life in order to protect the civilian public) that they are the same way: Cruel. That's not fair. This statement also makes me wonder if you are a vegetarian- since someone has to kill the meat we eat at the supermarket and by eating meat/dairy/eggs or any other kind of animal by-product (such as insulin?) you are also supporting those "cruel" killers. IMO- that's not a very fair or justified opinion.

Of course all these people have to have cruelty in them in order to do their jobs - just as farmers do in order to raise animals they know will be killed.

Yes I do support those 'cruel' killers but I at least am able to see them for what they are rather than someone who says that Harry can't have a cruel bone in his body - which is the comment I was relating to.

I acknowledge that I have some cruel bones in me as I like meat etc and I have served in the army (and therefore know just how cruel you have to be to be successful).

Loving children and puppies doesn't mean that in other circumstances you can't or don't do or support others that do cruel things. That is my point.