The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Harry shells out more than pounds1,000 on war gear

London, Feb 25 (ANI): Prince Harry has had to spend more than pounds1,000 on extra kit for duty in Iraq. The 22-year-old royal, third in line to the throne, bought at least ten items

Old 02-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Don't tell me the soldiers of the British Army have to pay for their own war kits!

My confidence in the British Army has just diminished. Doesn't the Army have enough money to outfit its soldiers?

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Courtier

I think they are going to deploy Harry in the south, where the fighting is almost non-existent and he is very unlikely to be blown up by an IED and/or captured.

I suspect they will name a different site, closer to Bahgdad, as the deployment site in order to diffuse attempts. Also that Harry will have his hair cut very short in order to hide him better.

Of course since the British troops are being pulled out, by the time Harry's callup rolls around, he might not really go at all! Timing is everything.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Don't tell me the soldiers of the British Army have to pay for their own war kits!

My confidence in the British Army has just diminished. Doesn't the Army have enough money to outfit its soldiers?
I guess it's similar in any army around the world. The army pays for the things in "necessary" quality, but of course in the outdoor shops much better things are available. If you have the money, of course you can invest in the high end products if it's allowed to use them.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Courtier

The British Army (like most of its Government funded programs) is severely cash-short. I forget the name, but one of the prominent barracks was featured in several articles recently as being unfit for dogs, let alone soldiers and veterans.

Of course, the USA troops are no better helped. Many private organizations are sending over everything from basics like toilet paper to much scarier (because they are not mandatory) things like bulletproof vests and helmets that don't fall apart.

However, should Harry actually go, I believe his regiment will be the best-equipped along with his security detail. Perhaps it will show what can be done for troops with the right motivation.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
If they want the top quality items, they have to pay for them themselves. A couple of instances.

The boots that were supplied to some soldiers were a disgrace, the sole came away from the uppers "because they didn't know they were going to be used in a 'hot country"

They ran out of Shemaghs in desert colours, so supplied them in 'unusual' colours.

Sleeping bags of inferior quality and a size designed for men and women of 5ft 9in and under.

Quote:
No, the government has cut the budget for the armed forces, whilst sending more and more men to war zones. The joke at the moment is that if Blair intends fighting anyone else, they had better send Dad's army!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suonymona
Of course, the USA troops are no better helped. Many private organizations are sending over everything from basics like toilet paper to much scarier (because they are not mandatory) things like bulletproof vests and helmets that don't fall apart.
On the contrary, the US troops are very well equipped, they set up coffee bars, their vehicles are far superior, they are all provided with bullet proof vests, unlike the UK troops.

Quote:
However, should Harry actually go, I believe his regiment will be the best-equipped along with his security detail. Perhaps it will show what can be done for troops with the right motivation.
Harry is going, but there will be no separate security detail and his regiment will not receive any extra equipment, which is why Harry is having to buy his own.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
If they want the top quality items, they have to pay for them themselves. A couple of instances.

The boots that were supplied to some soldiers were a disgrace, the sole came away from the uppers "because they didn't know they were going to be used in a 'hot country"

They ran out of Shemaghs in desert colours, so supplied them in 'unusual' colours.

Sleeping bags of inferior quality and a size designed for men and women of 5ft 9in and under.

No, the government has cut the budget for the armed forces, whilst sending more and more men to war zones. The joke at the moment is that if Blair intends fighting anyone else, they had better send Dad's army!
This is truly scary, skydragon! No wonder the governments didn't institute the draft. Its one thing to subject volunteers to these conditions; one can say that they agreed to it when they signed up.

But its quite another thing to draft someone so they have no choice and then put them in these conditions.

For the most part I am quite comfortable with class differences and the fact that some people have more because of who their parents are - its a fact of life and most of the time, its not harmful. Otherwise I wouldn't be following royalty.

But the one area where I don't like seeing kids with rich parents getting an edge is in a combat zone where lives are at risk. That must be incredibly difficult on the morale of the men whose parents cannot afford the 1000 quid to outfit their sons.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

A lot of the time parents and other relatives help out and ebay has a thriving trade, so I am told.

The British in Afghanistan and Iraq are called 'the borrowers' or 'the Flintstones' by the Americans and the Canadians, who by comparrison are superbly equipped!

The MOD should be supplying all these men and women with the equipment they need, but as any senior officer will tell you, complaining to the MOD is like banging your head against a super foam pillow.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

What they really need to do is send Blair's son and the children of a few other high-ranking politicians, and they'd find the money fast enough. Perhaps these reports of Harry having to buy extra kit might wake people up to what's going on over there.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:22 PM

They can't send Euan Blair. He'd spent half his time in the bars of Baghdad.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
What they really need to do is send Blair's son and the children of a few other high-ranking politicians, and they'd find the money fast enough. Perhaps these reports of Harry having to buy extra kit might wake people up to what's going on over there.
I'm afraid unless you are involved with the forces, people will just think, 'thank goodness Harry can get his own stuff'. The papers here were full of reports of how one man died after he was ordered to hand over his bulletproof vest to another soldier.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I'm afraid unless you are involved with the forces, people will just think, 'thank goodness Harry can get his own stuff'. The papers here were full of reports of how one man died after he was ordered to hand over his bulletproof vest to another soldier.
Yes, I heard about that. A tragedy!
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This is very disturbing news to me! If a government is going to send its soldiers to a war zone, they should all be properly and equally supplied with everything they need IMO, and I assumed they all were these days.

I don't recall ever hearing or reading that our Aussie service personnel don't have what they need. I know a fellow who was in the Gulf in the early 90s and is still serving so I'll ask him when I get a chance.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am so proud of Harry! and nervous. I bet he is very excited.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Well, I hope for him, that he doesn't have to be at the worst places... getting traumatized, maybe having to kill someone..I think not, but to me it seems as if he wanted to see the "real" thing...
Sometimes a thing that sounds exciting in your dreams, isn't that cool anymore, when you are confronted with reality. War is never fun.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am sure he has dreamed of fighting in a war when he was a child, but I think Harry wants to fight for his country. He doesn't want to fight just to experience it. I think he wants to fight to protect.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Nobility

The Sun Online - News: Prince Harry in the hell zone
From tank boy to real McCoy ... Harry aged eight,
left, now, centre, and in 1993, right

In the third picture what is the Regiment is the stable belt Harry is wearing for?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Sun, it's editor and whoever wrote the aricle should be bundled up and dropped in Maysan Province, from a great height! Have they already forgotten that the MOD and Clarence House asked them not to put Harry in further danger by guessing at where he would be posted!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Sun, it's editor and whoever wrote the aricle should be bundled up and dropped in Maysan Province, from a great height! Have they already forgotten that the MOD and Clarence House asked them not to put Harry in further danger by guessing at where he would be posted!
Locking them in the Tower (why was it ever turned into museum?!) would't be enough for them, that's for sure!
Seriously, I did expect there was some hope that the Media would have at least some consideration! Don't they understand that they aare really putting soldiers, not only Harrry, in danger?

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry