The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

George is supercute and Kate is a hands on mother. The pictures tell that she is very involved with her son's everyday life. I think Kate is just the body type of woman who will have a child and become slim again. She's fit and trim.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

You mean the ONE of Charles in his suit on the grass from months ago?

If you go through photos of Carl Gustav and Sylvia of Sweden, Harold and Sonja of Norway, Sophia of Spain, Beatrix of the Netherlands, etc etc there are several photos of them seen hugging and cuddling their grandchildren and showing huge amounts of interest. Of course it doesn't happen all the time. It would be nice if we saw it happen once with Charles, the man who missed his first grandchild's first birthday!

Old 06-15-2015, 03:06 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Going to add my 2 drink boxes to the mix here. At almost 2 years old, a toddler's world revolves around him. He's out of the eat, sleep, poop stage and is starting to discover his world around him (hence why they call it the terrible twos). His intimated circle consist of those adults he trusts and knows will do for him what is needed. Everyone else is actually just a blur in the background. Its really no big deal and the time will come when George will start to build his social skills and develop his own likes and dislikes of people, places and things. Its just that right now in his own little circle of trust, its Mummy and Daddy and Nanna Maria because they're the ones that are around him 24/7 for the most part and represent his security. I would also think that interactions between other kids and adults would be easier for him outside of a very public setting with hoards of people around.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Right.
And I don't happen to think, whatever the press may say, that George actually does meet all these people, the Tindalls, Phillips families very often, in fact rarely. Nor do I think that with Charles schedule, and Harry's, that he meets them on a really regular basis either. I think Charles probably could make more time for his grandson but doesn't.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

But how often do we see other European royals hugging and kissing on the balcony during national celebrations? Most of the time they just stand around, wave and make small talk.

We have only seen George and Charles together twice - once on the balcony and once at Polo. So I think it's a little premature to claim from those interactions that Charles doesn't see George.

In regards to photos, there was also one of Charles holding George. I imagine there are more, but they haven't felt the need to publicize them.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:40 PM
Royal Highness

It looks like it was a fun day for all! I can't get over how adorable George is! Mia Tindall and the Phillips girls are precious as well. Peter's daughters, in particular, seem to look VERY "Windsor."
Old 06-15-2015, 03:41 PM
Courtier

Honestly, I think some are reading way too much into very little. I know when I was small, I always interacted just fine with others (family members, schoolmates, etc.) but if my mom was around, I usually stuck to her, no matter who else was there. It wasn't a reflection on anyone else or my relationship with them, I just gravitated toward my mom if she was present. If you took had taken pictures of me within a very short time frame, you probably would've drawn some incorrect conclusions about my level of interaction with others.

I realize some really taken the bait and assume that the Middletons wield some kind of control over George and that the Windsors don't see him at all (even though we don't see pictures of him interacting with the Middletons, either. Really, I think we just have no idea - I don't think we see George often enough to be able to draw any conclusions as to his relationships. And if the purpose of attending the polo game was solely to show of a "happy families" display, I think you would've seen pictures of other family members, like Charles, deliberately interacting with George. Instead they did the normal thing and let George do what he wanted. Playing on his own or with his mum is perfectly normal for a child his age.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

It was on this forum but I can't remember now what thread, that tours of royal palaces were being discussed. It was last year some time and a poster was enthusiastic about a tour she had made of Kensington Palace.

Clarence House was apparently included and she happily posted that one of the guides within Clarence House stated proudly in one of the rooms that George was brought by his parents to Clarence House EACH Sunday afternoon that the Cambridges and Prince Charles and Camilla were in London.

Now that's wonderful, but just how many times, with their conflicting and busy schedules would that be each month, once maybe. Twice perhaps. Charles and Camilla could go to visit Kensington Palace but we have no record of that. And the Cambridges are now at Anmer, at least part of the time while Charles is all over the country.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
You mean the ONE of Charles in his suit on the grass from months ago?

If you go through photos of Carl Gustav and Sylvia of Sweden, Harold and Sonja of Norway, Sophia of Spain, Beatrix of the Netherlands, etc etc there are several photos of them seen hugging and cuddling their grandchildren and showing huge amounts of interest. Of course it doesn't happen all the time. It would be nice if we saw it happen once with Charles, the man who missed his first grandchild's first birthday!

I don't understand - you complained that it didn't seem like George was interacting with his cousins - someone gave you an example (not the only one out there) of the kids interacting - that wasn't good enough.

There's one picture of a grandpa and grandkiddo interacting. But it's not good enough because the the grandpa is in a suit and, goshdarnit, there should be MORE pictures.

First, if there were more pictures, people would accuse the BRF of whoring out their kids for publicity. But there aren't, so the BRF is accused of sheltering and hiding away the kids.

Second, where are the pictures of Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden hugging his grandkids all over the place? The guy is not winning any awards for warmth, and yet I for one (and many others) don't care because he does love his grandkids - I don't need a photo roll to prove it.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

Will and Kate have been severely criticized over the past year for only releasing their photographs of George and not letting him be stalked and photographed. So now George is approaching 2, KP announces that they are going to make George more accessible because they accept people have an interest in him and want to see him.

So 1st opportunity: Dad carries him on the balcony at the Trooping and they put him in a family heirloom romper - worn by both Grandpa Charles and Dad (mind you the Swedes do this ALL the time). William is very protective when he first walks on the balcony gauging George's reaction to the sea of people in front of them... is he going be amazed or shriek in terror? I think William was trying to make sure he had a hasty exit path should the 23 month old freak out (no doubt Nanny Maria was right inside the door). George seems comfortable on the balcony and is perfecting his wave. all breathe a sigh of relief.

The next day they take him to polo - a confined safe environment where photos can be taken of George playing. I'm guessing at the cousins dinner with their grandparents last week it came up and at the trooping yesterday... as does in family get-togethers. Grandpa Charles makes an appearance, some cousins and Dad and Uncle Harry play polo. All in all a I think a much less frightening photo opportunity than what William was subjected to at his age: a 2 yr old in a walled garden with 50 cameras in his face).

and to read this thread (and the one on the Trooping) you would think the Cambridges have committed the most heinous sins - 1st upstaging HM (...and Charles, Camilla, Andrew, Harry and Louise) on the balcony and then forcing a staged photo call with family members that obviously hate to be there.

I choose to believe it was a nice day at the polo grounds taking advantage of Will & Kate being in London and trying to make George more 'available' to the press... and some sweet pictures emerged. Sometimes, the psycho-analysis of Windsor family dynamics seems a bit much.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

When does making George more available spil over into PR territory though, when in response to media complaints that he has been hidden away? And I accept that some of the photo ops when William and Harry were children were over the top.

And yes, Leonore wore her great great grandfather's white dress from when he was a little boy in the 1880's at the wedding of Carl Philip and Sofia the other day.

I haven't been on the Trooping of the Colour thread.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Particularly a bit too much (the psychoanalysis) due to the fact we see maybe 1 percent of their family life. We are only seeing what we glimpse in person (for those who live there and come across them at events) or via cameras/pictures showing them while they are 'on duty'. Now and then someone sneaks a pic of them on their free time (recently Kate and George at a playground or some sort of place and George interacted with other kids just fine) and for the most part they are just going about their daily lives like the rest of us.

The idea that anyone has enough info to make some of these negative conclusions is ridiculous.

LaRae
Old 06-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness

The fact is all these families have different ways some more affectionate than others in public. I think William and Kate are doing a good job with George he is happy and well adjusted. These few pictures are the ones bought by the papers not all the pictures taken are purchased so we never see all of the day if it is even photographed.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
When does making George more available spil over into PR territory though, when in response to media complaints that he has been hidden away? And I accept that some of the photo ops when William and Harry were children were over the top.
:sarcasm: Wherever you decide, I guess. :sarcasm: What kind of question is this? They're trying to thread the needle. And they're going to get blanked for it any which way they go. As this thread proves.

Quote:
And yes, Leonore wore her great great grandfather's white dress from when he was a little boy in the 1880's at the wedding of Carl Philip and Sofia the other day.
And this is proof that CG loves his granddaughter? In that case, George is the best-loved of all grandchildren, since he has George VI's name and QEII's name variation as a middle name. Again, no sense made here.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Gentry

Pic of George and harry *GASP*https://instagram.com/p/39wXKFGMui/
Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

He's not hugging him so it doesn't count....that's what you are gonna get told Jackie.

LaRae
Old 06-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
He's not hugging him so it doesn't count....that's what you are gonna get told Jackie.

LaRae
figures

Anyway, Awww nothing like mummy cuddles and kisses. https://instagram.com/p/39ovptmuNb/
Old 06-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Usually it's " William is a bad daddy because he us never seen out and about with George". Now after all the affection he's shown his son there had to be a other victim....Charles, Peter, Zara and all their off spring for the win.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just think that there are some people out there for whom Charles can do nothing right.

I don't think I've ever seen a natural snap of Carl Gustaf with Estelle or Leonor. I've seen the one of him holding Estelle at her christening which is posed. However I don't doubt that he loves them both and has a normal grandparents relationship with them.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm just glad that they're bringing George to public events and allowing the public to watch him grow up. I was so thrilled he was on the balcony this year and the polo shots were even better.

That may end up being a great balance- the Cambridges live privately for a few months, then do a few high profile events, then live privately for a few months. Kind of seasonal updates on the children with events for William and Catherine sprinkled in.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, kate middleton, prince william, princess charlotte