The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprincess
I was looking through some of the older threads on Kate today and I noticed something, she is pretty much always photographed either alone or with William and his circle of friends. There are a few pictures of her with her mother, but I have never seen any pictures of kate and any female friends. Not to compare the two, but she lives alone, whereas i remeber that princess Diana lived with a few friends before her engagement. I'm not saying that Kate doesn't have any friends or anything like that, it just struck me as kinda of odd that we never see her with any close friends. Who knows maybe Kate is conscious that if she is to one day marry Prince William, she needs to be very discreat and as a result she may only trust her family and William's circle of friends. Anyone else notice this when looking at pictures of Kate?

To be honest, no but I can see why. Who'd want to hang around with someone who has photographers shoving cameras in their face every time they leave the house and who wants to be at someone's house when there's a horde of photographers outside? I'm not saying she has no friends, but I'm sure any friends she has are wary of all the paparazzi she has constantly tailing her. I know I would be. She may talk to them on the phone constantly, email/IM with them, see them when she's certain she's not being stalked.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprincess
I was looking through some of the older threads on Kate today and I noticed something, she is pretty much always photographed either alone or with William and his circle of friends. There are a few pictures of her with her mother, but I have never seen any pictures of kate and any female friends.
The difference is that Catherine has a close knit family who I would imagine support her in every way, either in person, on the phone or by webcam. I should also think that Catherine chooses her friends very carefully and when she meets with them, it is always discreetly.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

News review: Lest Kate forget Diana
Page 1 of 3

Anger crackles through the elaborate politeness of the letter. "May I ask the editors of Fleet Street whether, in the execution of their jobs, they consider it necessary or fair to harass my daughter daily, from dawn until well after dusk? Is it fair to ask any human being, regardless of circumstances, to be treated in this way?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...e13.xml&page=1

Diana all over again?

FIRST there was Diana, Queen of Hearts. Then there was Our Mary, future queen of Denmark. Now there is Kate Middleton, who doesn't yet have a moniker but is further proof that royal romance is still a bewitching story.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/dia...105179260.html
Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Royal Highness

while i was watching the news the other night they showed the footage of catherine making her way to her car on her bday and then the commentator said "look back almost 30 years to the then Lady Diana Spencer..." it's incredible to think it's been that long almost 30YEARS! you could have switched the two ladies and the scenario would have been exactly the same. the only difference i see is that diana would occassionally acknowledge the photographers whereas catherine doesn't.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Royal Highness

Why don't the press go for real news. THE PRESS MADED UP STUFF ABOUT AN ENGAGEMENT COMING SOON because she was at his Sandhurst graduation - so was his close boyfriend. This is beginning to look like Diana all over again. Do humans ever learn from their mistakes?

Prince William has many years to go in the military until he commits to a woman. He has told us at least 28 to 30. Miss Middleton knows that. I wish them both luck in this relationship. I think they need to say out of the spotlight for a while.

I hope the press starts to leave Miss Middleton alone or someone gets protection for her. She is just a girlfriend and the press is making her life hell. Can you imagine being at a job a few weeks and not knowing if you can get to work each morning? Or dealing with work problems after running away from reporters. She problably needs time to relax once she gets to work. I just got so upset at the reporter who put the camera in her face-just like Diana.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Royal Highness

i don't think you could accuse either of them of "seeking" the spotlight. william's public engagements are few to none and if going about your business everyday (going in and out your front door, going to work, walking down the street) is putting yourself in the spotlight then we're all guilty of that.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Aristocracy

It's Kate versus Diana
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Quote:
They say that men often fall in love with girls who remind them of their mothers, but just how do you compare the girl whom William undoubtedly wants to marry with Princess Diana? On the surface, at least, there is no comparison between Diana and Kate Middleton.
They do realize that humans existed before Diana, right? More amusingly, the piece runs for nearly 2600 words after their statement that there's no comparing the two.

The article ends with:

Quote:
One transcended all class barriers to become the People's Princess. Ten years after Diana's death, the people, surely, are ready to embrace another one. So just how imminent is an engagement announcement? February is the traditional month for senior royals to reveal wedding plans. Charles and Diana announced their engagement in February 1981, and married the following July. What an appropriate gesture it would be if William did the same.
Appropriate in what way?! God, Richard Kay makes me want to punch a wall.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Appropriate in what way?! God, Richard Kay makes me want to punch a wall.
Appropriate for Richard Kay's bank balance, probably. I mean, they can't lose, can they? They rush these two poor youngesters into an early wedding before they're ready, so the relationship ends up going south and the journalists make yet more money. I hope William and Kate both have the staying power to basically tell these parasites to go take a running jump and stop trying to dictate the timing for their own benefit.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Appropriate for Richard Kay's bank balance, probably. I mean, they can't lose, can they? They rush these two poor youngesters into an early wedding before they're ready, so the relationship ends up going south and the journalists make yet more money. I hope William and Kate both have the staying power to basically tell these parasites to go take a running jump and stop trying to dictate the timing for their own benefit.
Too true. At this point it's like they've decided to act like the Simpsons kids on a car ride: "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" I'm willing to bet that they'll be happy to blame the Royals (and seeing as how it's Kay, Charles in particular) for any and all problems in the relationship should they crop up too.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I wonder if Richard Kay is trying to force William's hand like he did with Charles and Diana.

I hope Wills and Kate are smart enough to withstand that. Oddly enough, I think if Kate sticks it out, the press attention will abate somewhat. I know it didn't happen with Diana but Kate looks like she has no desire to tease or tantalize the press. If she's not flirting with them, I wonder how long they can keep up with the insane stories.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiyo
It's Kate versus Diana

God, Richard Kay makes me want to punch a wall.
I only felt bored. Totally bored by all these rehashing things that are long past...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Serene Highness

A different opinion..:

"If Kate Middleton seriously objects to the scrutiny to which she is now subjected, she should take a long, hard look into the future."

From this article:
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...ction=theworld

Old 01-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I think if Kate sticks it out, the press attention will abate somewhat. I know it didn't happen with Diana but Kate looks like she has no desire to tease or tantalize the press. If she's not flirting with them, I wonder how long they can keep up with the insane stories.
Great points, I totally agree.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

On sky news (again), the Telegraph reporter was saying that the reporters could all be sat in the same office and the mails phone would sound. Their reporter (presumably Kay) would answer and be chatting to Di for ages, if he answered for him, the caller would hang up.

He is of the opinion that the Mail is trying to befriend Catherine, to try to have the same relationship that they had with Diana.

Some hope, considering the picture they dug down in their files to publish today!
Old 01-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
A different opinion..:

"If Kate Middleton seriously objects to the scrutiny to which she is now subjected, she should take a long, hard look into the future."

From this article:
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...ction=theworld

I agree with that..........to a point. Yes, she should look to the future because IF she marries him, she'll be Princess of Wales one day, and then Queen. It's not like she's going to ignored and forgotten. So if she can't handle having articles written about her, pictures of her everywhere, she needs to re-think being with William. That said......there's a point in which you have to say that the paparazzi have gone and will go overboard and that she shouldn't have to re-think her relationship with anyone, based on the treatment she's getting. She should be able to be with this man without having to feel like she's making a mistake.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Aristocracy

Right! Additionally, it's the press' job to report actual news, not put potential royal brides through a trial by fire.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
On sky news (again), the Telegraph reporter was saying that the reporters could all be sat in the same office and the mails phone would sound. Their reporter (presumably Kay) would answer and be chatting to Di for ages, if he answered for him, the caller would hang up.

He is of the opinion that the Mail is trying to befriend Catherine, to try to have the same relationship that they had with Diana.

Some hope, considering the picture they dug down in their files to publish today!
A lot of good Richard Kay's friendship did to Diana. He had his time in the sun and his game is up.

Too many people know his modus operandi now, primarily Wills and Kate.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon

You might be on to something there. Check this out:
The future King and Kate Middleton: The engagement that never was

Old 01-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiyo
You might be on to something there. Check this out:
The future King and Kate Middleton: The engagement that never was

A quote from this article:

"Yet Kate herself remained utterly inscrutable: not a hint of comment passed her rosebud lips, which were shaped in a knowing smile."

Oh my, already purple prose....

So, I've read the whole article and while it seems to shed a bit more light on the happenings behind the facade, it's easy to see that it's still just speculation. "Aides say", "friends tell".... that stuff. Forget it. Truth is that we don't know what's really going on between Catherine and William, so I don't like the innuendos that she is waiting for a proposal. If I think back at the time when I was still my husband's girlfriend, I realise that there is a natural flow in relationships. I simply don't think that Catherine is all the time thinking about a proposal. IMHO she enjoys his friendship and uses the effect the publicity has to further her career (or don't you think it is an advantage for her in her chosen field - fashion? Reminds me of the McCartney and Jagger-daughters...).

I believe they are not yet ready to settle down. William wants to enjoy army life as a bachelor a bit and Catherine is not yet ready to embrace hospitals instead of fashion shows. And what's wrong with that?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I wonder if Richard Kay is trying to force William's hand like he did with Charles and Diana.
ok i missed something. how did he do this to charles and diana? i always thought he didn't come on the scene as "her friend" until years after they were married. can you fill me in please?

Tags
kate middleton