Kate Middleton Current Events 15: December 2006-January 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally find these name changes confusing.:wacko:
And Diana's situation was different. She never asked everyone to call her "Di". The press did that and "Di" isn't even an actual name.
My question is if Kate or Catherine and William break up will she go back to having everyone call her Kate again? Or maybe she'll do like that musician, "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" and start having everyone call her "The Girl Formerly Known as Catherine". :lol:
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! :wizard:

Last edited by a moderator:
The evolution of Ms Middleton

According to the search function, the first mention of Kate Middleton in the Royal Forums was on 17 June 2003, where a report quotes a tabloid story:
"Is this William's Queen of Hearts?" asked The Sun tabloid in a story about William and a 20-year-old fellow student, Kate Middleton.
The first recorded mention of Catherine Middleton in the Forums (according to the search function) was on 2 April 2005 in a Times-online report:
Catherine (Kate) Middleton's family home....
Previous to this reference, the Times-online refers to her as Miss Middleton, showing that either they were being very proper, or didn't know. The use of "Catherine (Kate)" with no explanantion is a bit of having it both ways.

Quite possibly it was the London Sun newspaper which christened her 'Kate', and most everyone else has followed suit.

William isn't demanding that the tabs stop calling him "Wills" so what makes Kate so special? She's not an HRH. She has not got that ring on her finger yet. She is just a girlfriend who at first it seems wanted to be called Kate and now wants to be called Catherine. So what? The tabs will do what they want and when she's no longer dating Wills, it won't matter because no one will be calling her anything.

This "You can call me Catherine" article is pretty misleading. Even if she said such a thing it's been taken out of the context. It says "...according to friends..." - which friends? It seems she's a clever girl, she's been cautious so far and doing pretty well in gaining the sympathies of the public. Anything is possible but I honestly doubt she would do such a thing like demanding to be called Catherine bcz it sounds more noble.

The article seems to be just re-hashing the story that came out a couple of months back about her preference to be called 'Catherine'. But now with a touch of venom by adding that bit about her alleged desire to sound 'regal'.

Good on you Catherine! You have the right name for a future consort.

I think there's something fishy with the Kate/Catherine story. If Kate and William marry and the Queen makes her a Royal Duchess, then her friends won't be calling her Kate OR Catherine but rather Ma'am. The Kate vs. Catherine argument is immaterial.

If they want her to be referred to as Catherine as a Royal Duchess, all they have to do is issue a statement that she is to be called Catherine, Duchess of Such-and-such. But its a bit premature now.

Besides its not likely the tabloids will start calling her Catherine even if the Palace issues a statement like that but its even less likely that the tabloids will start calling her Catherine just because one tabloid mentions a friend of a friend who says Kate prefers to be called Catherine.

Diana was always called Di by the press even though her family's nickname for her was "Dutchess"

She must purely love the way her "friends" are telling the press things she's supposed to have said about Prince William. If she really was saying half the things she's alleged to have said, she'd have been dropped like a hot coal a long time ago.

Really, doesn't the Mail have any other way of selling papers than to print this sort of thing?

I think there is truth underneath the trash. I bet the details about her working are true, but the "quote" to her friends and the WAG business kind of sounds like exaggeration.

Her co-workers are really into her boyfriend aren't they? First the mug and now the 20 pound note? If I were her I'd be like "guys, the joke is over".

Maybe we are beating Kate/Catherine about the head with the wrong name.
According to the Daily Mail story, her work colleagues call her Katy.
For those members who have trouble getting to grips with two names, we now have a third to muddy the waters, or to provide an acceptable compromise. :)

Thanks to MarleyAllison for providing the link at #129.

Oh dear, another 'story' from the mail! This time it would appear, not only do they call her Katy, but William is WILLY! :ROFLMAO: Perhaps we ought to start calling her Cathy (which in the UK, is the normal shortening of the name Catherine).

Skydragon said:
Oh dear, another 'story' from the mail! This time it would appear, not only do they call her Katy, but William is WILLY! :ROFLMAO: Perhaps we ought to start calling her Cathy (which in the UK, is the normal shortening of the name Catherine).

I haven't noticed the "Willy" part! :ROFLMAO:
We have now William, Wills, Will and Willy for Prince William and Kate, Catherine, Katy and Cathy for Catherine Middleton. I suggest adding simple K for Kate, it's such a long name to write! :rolleyes:
No one can complain there is a lack of nicknames for them! :lol: ;)

Avalon said:
I haven't noticed the "Willy" part! :ROFLMAO:
We have now William, Wills, Will and Willy for Prince William and Kate, Catherine, Katy and Cathy for Catherine Middleton. I suggest adding simple K for Kate, it's such a long name to write! :rolleyes:
No one can complain there is a lack of nicknames for them! :lol: ;)
From the same 'mail' article. :flowers:
'She hates it when people try to make out that her relationship with Willy is just another university romance,' said a source. 'As far as she is concerned, it is definitely the real thing.' :ROFLMAO:

Skydragon said:

Or Kittycat, come to think of it. Free Willy from his Kittycat's claws... :ROFLMAO:

How can anyone buy this load of garbage?! If the policeman had let her off, then they would have run headlines, that she's being given preferential treatment, or that the palace somehow intervened. How could you believe for one second that an aide told William to "get married or cool it"? The excuses that she can't come to base, etc. make no sense. Don't you think that William and Kate know what's coming? Doesn't anyone give them a bit of credit for the dignity and maturity they've shown till now? How can anyone think that pressuring them into mariage is a good idea?!!! I don't think that Charles or the Queen would allow pressure to be applied. It is the PRESS that's applying pressure. As for the Kate/Catherine debate, didn't it come out months ago (and it was discussed here ad nauseum) that she has always been called Katherine by her family and friends?!

Free Willy from his Kittycat's claws... :ROFLMAO:

OMG Jo I nearly feel off my chair from laughing so hard. FREE WILLY !!!!

Qui- I totally agree with everything you said.

The Times confirmed the Harewood House rumors. While not saying it is a certain thing, they are saying that it's likely that the new 6-bedroom house at Harewood Park will be William's "starter" seat if/when he "settles down." Also, the same article says that Catherine may have had Christmas Day lunch at Sandringham. It was in the Sunday Times, 17 December 2006.

Naturally, the Times did not mention the parking ticket! How on earth did they miss such news! :lol:

I think if she really gets to married Prince william when she gives her first interview all these questions should be clarify because I think now when we write something about them we are just wondering and we are not sure of anything we write or say!!!!

qui mal y pense said:
It is the PRESS that's applying pressure.

Hm..., there have been rumours that William and Catherine are royally amused about the constant carping of the press about an upcoming engagement. And look at it this way: it's W&C who apply pressure on the tabloids to invent things. One gets the feeling things are heating up but there is no proof of it, there is no story, there are no revealing pictures, no reliable confessions by friends, no statements, there is simply nothing but a strong rumour that there might be fire while the tabloids are only producing smoke. There is nothing they can do except hunt two people who are obviously not really huntable. This failure makes editors and Royal correspondents crazy. Believe me, their nerves are blank by now, not those of William and Catherine.

For me as a seasoned journalist it's pure fun to follow their inventions... Desperate inventions at the moment. LOL! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The tabloids' fussing over this "story" is truly tragic, if you take a moment to consider this. It puts the people most involved in an awkward position. William could be pressured to do something he's only half-sure he wants to do. I don't like that.

I honestly don't think there is any danger of William or Catherine being forced into doing anything. With his fathers backing, he will do what he want's, in his own time! :flowers:

Laviollette said:
Looks like being princess-in-waiting...and waiting has gone to plain jane's head.

Lav you're funny...if we didn't know better we might think you're starting to believe all these tabloid stories.

Jo, I agree with you, there is no proof of an upcoming engagement. On the other hand, I think that each day that goes by of W and C being a couple is a day of "proof" for the press.

I think it is very impressive how these two young adults seem to take everything that happens around them in stride, always being prudent and responsible.

Jo of Palatine said:
Hm..., there have been rumours that William and Catherine are royally amused about the constant carping of the press about an upcoming engagement. And look at it this way: it's W&C who apply pressure on the tabloids to invent things. One gets the feeling things are heating up but there is no proof of it, there is no story, there are no revealing pictures, no reliable confessions by friends, no statements, there is simply nothing but a strong rumour that there might be fire while the tabloids are only producing smoke. There is nothing they can do except hunt two people who are obviously not really huntable. This failure makes editors and Royal correspondents crazy. Believe me, their nerves are blank by now, not those of William and Catherine.

For me as a seasoned journalist it's pure fun to follow their inventions... Desperate inventions at the moment. LOL! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ysbel said:
. If Kate and William marry and the Queen makes her a Royal Duchess, then her friends won't be calling her Kate OR Catherine but rather Ma'am. The Kate vs. Catherine argument is immaterial.

But we are considering a scenario here where the girl is in line to be queen.
Catherine has a decidedly regal ring to it compared to Kate.

Are you sure that she will become a Royal Duchess if she married HRH Prince William during Her Majesty's reign? I thought that Royal Dukedoms were reserved for children of the Sovereign. The general consensus elsewhere in this forum is Prince William's wife will initially be Princess William of Wales. But I think people will immediately start calling her Princess Catherine or Princess Kate.

if she marry she will be princess or duchess?

Kate is a nickname, diana hated the nicknema ''di'' but until her death her was nemed in that way, may be kate want to named her in a more formal way for that ''catherine'' but a nickname is irresistible for the press

Queen Victoria gave her grandson Prince Albert Victor the title of Duke of Clarence and Avondale, and Prince George - Duke of York. At this moment it is uncertain if/what peerage he will get.

She will be HRH Princess William of Wales and possibly Duchess of Something or Countess of Something, but until that happens it is all speculation. Unless of course they get married when Charles is King, then she will automatically be Duchess of Cornwall and most likely Princess of Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom