The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 04:23 AM
Nobility

Look, it has already begun all over Britain, this tiring of the pomp, expense, and drama of the monarchy. And, aside from that, what do they really put back? The monarchy itself, I believe, is not the tourist draw, as tourists come to see buildings and objects, not other figures. And, aside from that, it's outrageous that even in this day, the people are seen as nothing other than subjects to a monarch. To me, that is antiquated and offensive, as it is the people who are the ultimate authority, the ultimate power, or at least they should be. If there is to be a monarch in Britain in the future, I believe the British will want that monarch to severr ties with the church (as it breeds blurring of the line between church and state), clearly outline the monarch's powers, take away the right to royal veto, separate the monarch wholly from the affairs of state, and declare the monarch subordinate to the people (as of yet, the monarch is only branded equal to parliament, no mention of the people is made). Many people cease to realize that the monarchy has no defined role in Britain, as there is no written British constitution- only a set of laws and etc. Now, if people think that my finding this a bit strange and unsavory is offensive, then, excuse-moi, pardon my rebellious American tongue.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:33 AM
Nobility

And in response to the question as to where I'm from, I'm a proud American and New Yorker of Greek and Belgian descent. Now, as for my qualifications for British political commentary, they're a bit scant, but, um, it wasn't meant as gospel truth, just my own personal speculation.

Old 06-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Aristocracy

From Hello!

Sophie Wessex in fine form on school visit

30 JUNE 2004

Mother-of-one Sophie Wessex was radiant – and sporting a noticeably slimmer figure – as she greeted crowds of tiny students at the opening of Westbury Leigh primary school in Wiltshire on Tuesday.

Wearing a blue suit with beige shoes and handbag, the Countess couldn't restrain a laugh as she knelt to have an eye-to-eye conversation with the enthusiastic schoolchildren.

The children, dressed in blue and white uniforms, clutched British flags in honour of the occasion. Though, much to Sophie's amusement, some of the younger pupils seemed to think putting the flags in their mouths was just as entertaining as waving them.

It was a busy day for the Countess, who was joined by her husband, Prince Edward, at the Westbury visit. Also on her agenda for Tuesday was a tour of the Shaw Trust Palmer Gardens in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, and a trip to the Norman Court prep school in West Tytherley, Hampshire.

The Countess greets crowds of primary school children, who all clutched British flags in honour of the occasion

Sophie, who gave birth to a daughter last November and has since looked noticeably slimmer, had a packed schedule on Tuesday, also visiting the Shaw Trust Palmer Gardens in Wiltshire as well as a Hampshire prep school
Old 06-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Sophie had worn that suit at The Queen's 50 years of Coronation last year.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 06-30-2004, 10:00 AM
CathyEarnshaw

Quote:
Originally posted by grecka@Jun 30th, 2004 - 3:23 am
Look, it has already begun all over Britain, this tiring of the pomp, expense, and drama of the monarchy. And, aside from that, what do they really put back? The monarchy itself, I believe, is not the tourist draw, as tourists come to see buildings and objects, not other figures. And, aside from that, it's outrageous that even in this day, the people are seen as nothing other than subjects to a monarch. To me, that is antiquated and offensive, as it is the people who are the ultimate authority, the ultimate power, or at least they should be. If there is to be a monarch in Britain in the future, I believe the British will want that monarch to severr ties with the church (as it breeds blurring of the line between church and state), clearly outline the monarch's powers, take away the right to royal veto, separate the monarch wholly from the affairs of state, and declare the monarch subordinate to the people (as of yet, the monarch is only branded equal to parliament, no mention of the people is made). Many people cease to realize that the monarchy has no defined role in Britain, as there is no written British constitution- only a set of laws and etc. Now, if people think that my finding this a bit strange and unsavory is offensive, then, excuse-moi, pardon my rebellious American tongue.
As someone who travels to Britain often (and writes about royalty), I can tell you the monarchy is in no danger. After the death of the queen mother, one Guardian columnist was forced to eat crow after witnessing middle England standing in line for hours to pay their respects.

Changing the status of the church will be a difficult one, and Parliament has far more important issues to be concerned with these days.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:01 AM
CathyEarnshaw

Quote:
Originally posted by grecka@Jun 30th, 2004 - 3:23 am
By the way, Grecka, the cost of the monarchy is rather small to the British taxpayer - less than $2.00 per person .. not a bad deal ...
Old 06-30-2004, 10:02 AM
Commoner

Sophie is fastly becoming one of the hardest working Members of the Royal Family. She has gone from drab to fab over night... You GO Girl!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Courtier

The Windsors rarely take their children to Ascot. The only child they ever took to Ascot was Zara when she was about 8. Otherwise, they've waited until adulthood to attend.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:46 AM
CathyEarnshaw

Quote:
Originally posted by kelly9480@Jun 30th, 2004 - 9:07 am
The Windsors rarely take their children to Ascot. The only child they ever took to Ascot was Zara when she was about 8. Otherwise, they've waited until adulthood to attend.
Actually, there is an age restrictment for children ... some years ago, Zara got special permission from granny to attend one year ... clipped several articles about out./
Old 06-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Aristocracy

Wasn't there a thread in this forum -- just last night -- entitled "Duke of Edinburgh" title? Today I don't see it anywhere.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:23 PM
CathyEarnshaw

Julian, it was there this am ... the dog ate it :)
Old 06-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlene+Jun 30th, 2004 - 8:46 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Marlene @ Jun 30th, 2004 - 8:46 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kelly9480@Jun 30th, 2004 - 9:07 am
The Windsors rarely take their children to Ascot. The only child they ever took to Ascot was Zara when she was about 8. Otherwise, they&#39;ve waited until adulthood to attend.
Actually, there is an age restrictment for children ... some years ago, Zara got special permission from granny to attend one year ... clipped several articles about out./ [/b][/quote]
I&#39;m not disagreeing with the fact that there&#39;s an age restriction. I&#39;m disagreeing that the Wessexes will take Louise next year.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

I found out in Hello magazine this morning&#33;

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2004/...6/sophiewessex/

if you have pictures with Getty or whatever please show it&#33;

she visit in Africa for three days&#33;

Sara Boyce
Old 07-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

There are some new and nice photos of Sophie in Tanazia but only in Rex.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nothing still about Louise?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 07-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by corazon@Jul 11th, 2004 - 4:21 pm
Nothing still about Louise?
she didnt bring baby louise on state trips&#33; till Louise become big girls because Louise is baby but Louise stay with nanny while Sophie in Africa and Edward in trip

Sara Boyce
Old 07-19-2004, 05:32 AM
Heir Apparent

The Earl and Countess have many engagements today:
1.Earl Edward will visit Eco Visitor Centre,Merseyside
2.Earl Edward will visit Southport Pier,Merseyside
3.The Earl and Countess of Wessex will visit Marine Way Bridge,Merseyside
4.The Earl and Countess of Wessex will attend a lunch at Southport Town Hall
5.The Earl and Countess of Wessex will visit Botanic Garden,Merseyside
6.The Earl and Countess of Wessex will attend The Centenary Service of Liverpool Cathedral,Merseyside
7.The Countess of Wessex will visit Parenting 2000&Surestart
8.The Countess of Wessex will visit Alchemy,Merseyside.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Are there any pics of the Wessexes visits yesterday?
Old 07-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Courtier

I looked for photos, Windsor Fan and was unable to find any.

There was one interesting thing about a recent school visit in Berkshire. A member of the public told Sophie that she hoped that Edward and her would have more children. Without hesitation, Sophie replied that THEY WOULD. :flower:

Now I know that Sophie might have just been making small talk or that she was simply agreeing that she would want to too, but still...

Claire
Old 07-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Royal Highness

Countess Of Wessex Presents Dyslexia Institute Prizes

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51115811...757C85AE85A779B

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51115809...757C85AE85A779B

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51115806...757C85AE85A779B

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51115785...757C85AE85A779B

Sophie is very elegant and she look radiant

Tags
countess of wessex, earl of wessex, prince edward, sophie