The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent

In 1952, HMQ was named Person of the Year. At that age, while she ascended to the throne, what has she done other than being born in the right order? Her position was made by circumstances beyond her control rather than her own accomplishments.

Point is, the Person of the Year is about influence and the people that these people touched and affected each year. Meghan's story, while having different meaning to different people, has certainly offered a lot of people some form of break from a world full of turbulence and exhaustion.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
NBC's Keir Simmons said

DoS Meghan should be @TIME person of the year... she has taken on an impossible role with class and grace. Now she faces an onslaught from a jealous and medieval ‘Royal court’. She deserves support.

I agree with him.

It's taking it a bit far to call the BRF a "jealous and medieval Royal court"

Imperial Majesty

Quote:
NBC's Keir Simmons said

I agree with him.
Yes, indeed she does!

A.W. TOZER
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soula View Post
Well, he is right.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Well, he is right.
I disagree

Trump, Putin and Meuller are also on the list.......

It's not an honour of an achievement its about the influence you've had on the news "for better or worse"
Old 12-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

I like Meghan. However, compared to the other candidates, I'm not sure about her being on the list.

True, I will admit I became interested in the BRF again because of her. So I can see her influence from that POV.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Nobility

I really like Meghan and think she has been great for BRF but she is on the list because she married a royal - she would not be on there otherwise. Jamal Khashoggi was murdered due to writing about the Saudi regime abuses. I think that is perhaps worthier of person of the year.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Although I seriously doubt that Meghan will actually be named "Person of the Year", just making it to the shortlist shows that she has made an impact on the world around her. Perhaps its only because she married Harry. Perhaps its because she was in Suits and then married Harry. Perhaps some feel she has made a general impact on the world around her. It really doesn't matter. It just says a whole lot that she made the list.

Its a very positive thing among too many negative things lately.
Kate made Time's "Person of the Year" shortlist in 2011. So I think Meghan's inclusion (like Kate's) is because she married into the BRF.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Serene Highness

Kate was also on Time's PoY short list in 2011. Both considerations reflect a point in history: an incoming future queen and woman of color becoming a royal duchess. After an onslaught of criticism it's nice to see Meghan get this recognition. Her chances are slim to none to be on Time's cover but the nod must be gratifying.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
For getting married ? That is a pretty 'low bar' isn't it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I disagree- She is where she is [on this list] solely because a Prince fell in love with her, and she with him - that is all..
The page represents a person or persons who made an impact for better or worse and I looked at all the photographs, thought about who and what they were and what their impact was on our collective psyche. There were people I admired for their integrity and courage telling truth to power. There are others I despise for their venality that represents the very worst in mankind and just when you think you have hit rock bottom, they show us the basement.

There are situations that showed the tragedy of disasters that speak of man's inhumanity to man which broke our hearts and yet there are that movements and event that shine like a beacon in a very jaded world and show there is still hope. So, what does the DoS bring to the table? The world watched as Meghan and Harry charmed us as fell gloriously and demonstratively in love. We watched in wonder as they touched that secret, hidden place in our hearts that still believes in good versus evil, that love conquers all, that all is not lost.

We looked at Prince Harry (who had a noted penchant for blondes), fall in love and become engaged to a beautiful, dark-haired, bi-racial, divorced actress who is a smart, intelligent woman with a heart for charity. On 19 May 2018, this impossible modern day fairytale culminated in a wedding that was romantic beyond our wildest dreams. It seemed to emit waves of glorious warmth, a love so great we could see it for ourselves and a promise of unimaginable joy.

We live in a world that is more often intense, sad and deadly, weighed down by the total inequity that is the lot of our world but, for a short hour, we watched Meghan walk up an aisle and marry the man of her dreams and, for that short time we dared to dream with them.

Should Meghan nee Markle be on the list of finalists? I believe so.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Kate was also on Time's PoY short list in 2011. Both considerations reflect a point in history: an incoming future queen and woman of color becoming a royal duchess. After an onslaught of criticism it's nice to see Meghan get this recognition. Her chances are slim to none to be on Time's cover but the nod must be gratifying.
She's been on TIME cover, but Person of the Year cover is probably what you meant.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is Keir Simmons a World authority on Medieval Court culture then or indeed of the current culture prevailing at the court of St James ?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Aristocracy

Here we go again. Meghan’s transition from Starlet to royalty isn’t going too well for her according to several news reports including the DF: Meghan Markle 'fed'up' of rumours of Kate Middleton feud.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...eton-feud.html
Old 12-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
Here we go again. Meghan’s transition from Starlet to royalty isn’t going too well for her according to several news reports including the DF: Meghan Markle 'fed'up' of rumours of Kate Middleton feud.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...eton-feud.html
That's actually something I can believe in. I doubt Meghan and Harry are reading the newspapers and articles, but they still probably get briefings and such. Not being able to come forward with the truth has to be frustrating, but also I doubt there's anything they could do to squash the rumors.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've LONG thought that the obvious [and necessary] constraints on 'free speech' by members of the Royal Family would prove the greatest hurdle for a Woman accustomed to 'saying her piece', either on set, at the UN or on the 'interweb'.
The huge opportunities to 'do good in the World' that come with that rank also come at a price, and it doesn't surprise me that those might rankle with the Duchess.
We must all hope she finds herself able to adjust to them...
Old 12-17-2018, 03:50 AM
Majesty

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...different.html

Meghan seems to have attracted comment from the one and only Richard Kay!
Old 12-17-2018, 03:54 AM
Majesty

Same old re-hash that the tabloids have been banging on about for over a month. Nothing new. Richard Kay has been suffering withdrawal symptoms from Diana since 1997.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Same old re-hash that the tabloids have been banging on about for over a month. Nothing new. Richard Kay has been suffering withdrawal symptoms from Diana since 1997.
Whilst I am in no way supportive of the current endless round of negative stories, it begs the question as to why such negativity towards the couple? FYI, I don't buy the racist argument, IMO, that is far too simplistic!
Old 12-17-2018, 06:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The answer is plain and simple. Negativity and troubles and spats and people at odds with each other and ready to have a food fight is what sells. The juicier, the more scandalous and the more derisive, the more it sells.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 AM
Majesty

Drama sells, I suppose. Given the choice between happy and peaceful stories (dull!) and ones featuring lots of storms in teacups, tabloid editors go for the latter every time. This is especially true of the DM, which has its own regular crowd of ranters always ready to give these tales lots of clicks in the online section.
Meghan's a newcomer and different to most BRF brides in lots of ways, and so she mustn't be allowed to get away with anything, ever. (Harry is usually left alone as these journalists know he's popular with the public, except when they can link him with his wife's doings.)

Closed Thread