The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Meghan's guests have arrived. It was everyone expected in addition to Gayle King.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/health...source=twitter

Meghan shouldn't have to apologize for having wealthy friends who wound to spoil her. Not especially when she is part of a family living in palaces who wear tiaras. Let's have a little perspective. Again none of this money spent of of any of our concern -- Amal and Serena can do what they with with the money THEY worked hard for. Sheesh.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Why oh why doesn't TRF have an eye-rolling emoji?

They do! It is the classic one.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:37 PM
Nobility

Nice to know Duchess Meghan’s friends are able to spend some time with her. As shown yesterday, some in the media (Daily Mail, Sun) will make up all sorts of fake news. Yesterday, Royal Reporter for the Sun, had a full description from a ‘source’ of what ‘occurred’ at the shower, when it hasn’t even occurred as yet.

From more reliable sources:
The level of scrutiny the Duchess of Sussex receives is devoid of human feeling. This vilification must end.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ed-hate-figure
Old 02-20-2019, 02:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

These comments are only my feelings of what I am seeing.....This shower does remind me of so many baby showers that are reported on in LA. I do not get a very royal or regal feeling in regards to Meghan's trip to NY.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:42 PM
Nobility

I'm aware that she doesn't call the shots with security and the State Department. However, everyone seems to be terribly confused as to why many see this whole thing as very Hollywood, very flashy, very ostentatious...and I was trying to explain why I honestly think some people see it that way. Meghan has proven that she can be adept at low key and under the radar when she chooses to be. And I understand that everyone is going to scream that a server at the restaurant outed her and she didn't out herself. Fine. But the fact remains that the answer to why people are seeing this as flashy and celebrity-like is because this is exactly the kind of baby shower we see from celebrities and people that very much want to be in the public eye. I'm aware that we're not supposed to ever dare to compare Meghan's actions to those of any other member of the royal family because heaven forbid there be anything to learn from others but the fact remains that while it's true that the royals certainly have very wealthy circles and friends that are more than capable of financing an over the top party, they typically choose not to do so. In fact, I honestly can't recall ever hearing about a single baby shower thrown for any member of the royal family, although I do recall hearing about some personal and thoughtful gifts given after the births of some other royal children.

No one ever really believed she was going to have a baby shower with a bunch of people no one had ever heard of in Doria's sister's living room. However, it wouldn't have been impossible to have held a low key afternoon with friends if that's what she'd wanted. And that's fine, but everyone saying that this couldn't possibly come across badly should realize that it's not the norm that we typically see from members of the royal family, even those with many celebrity friends. And that even if it is Meghan and no one is ever supposed to have more than a glowingly positive opinion of her or her actions, it can and does translate a bit poorly in response to the question of whether or not this appears to be a celebrity style party.

All of that said, we have no idea if this is what it's being presented as or not. It's entirely possible that this is just a few days away to catch up with friends. But it does appear that most people believe she's in town for a baby shower and if the stories we're seeing today are to believed (and again, I really have no idea if they are or not) then cotton candy machines, $75,000 penthouse suites, etc. do appear to be a bit over the top for someone who so desperately wants privacy and to be left alone.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate was thrown a baby shower. It was written up and everything.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...by-shower.html
Old 02-20-2019, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
All of that said, we have no idea if this is what it's being presented as or not. It's entirely possible that this is just a few days away to catch up with friends. But it does appear that most people believe she's in town for a baby shower and if the stories we're seeing today are to believed (and again, I really have no idea if they are or not) then cotton candy machines, $75,000 penthouse suites, etc. do appear to be a big over the top for someone who so desperately wants privacy and to be left alone.
Actually, a baby shower in a suite is about as private as it'll get. She can't just go to a restaurant and have a baby shower. That's far more difficult to ensure her privacy. While we will now see people going in and out, we really know nothing as to what happened inside. Rest of it are all speculation, many of which has already been debunked. One of the tabloids seriously had details from inside, or at least claimed to, yesterday. When the baby shower hasn't even happened. And it's not from the online team. It's from a RR. While they do get some things right, it does tell me a lot about their sources.

As for the location, well a lot of them don't live in NYC, but it is a convenient place for people from different places to get to. Plus, it is a wonderful city with a lot of fun things and places to go. Paparazzi aside.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

but why does she need a baby shower? Can't she afford things for the baby herself? why go all the way to NY when she's heavily pregnant.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
but why does she need a baby shower? Can't she afford things for the baby herself? why go all the way to NY when she's heavily pregnant.
Because it's a good chance to celebrate with friends that's traditional in America. And she's allowed to do some things she wants to do on her private time. These days, baby showers aren't about if you can afford things. It's a chance for people to gather and do something fun together. The gifts are more gestures of kindness than anything else. It's like asking why do royals go on vacation.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Kate was thrown a baby shower. It was written up and everything.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...by-shower.html
No confirmation it actually happened, just speculation.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Why canít her friends give her a baby shower if they want to? Her Majesty can afford to buy her own jewellery, yet she excepts them as gifts too.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
No confirmation it actually happened, just speculation.
Very true. And even if it did happen as speculated, it was clearly pretty low key and under the radar. It can be done if those involve wish for it to.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Very true. And even if it did happen as speculated, it was clearly pretty low key and under the radar. It can be done if those involve wish for it to.
Quite right, but to each , her own.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

They do! It is the classic one.
Thanks! But for this, I think we need one with great big, googly eyes so we get the full effect And to make clear, the eye-rolling is directed at the photographers who are taking photos of the deliveries at the hotel.

I think we have a culture clash here. Showers are fairly mainstream in the US, as others have pointed out, although they are not universal, and there are plenty of people in the US that find showers with scads of expensive presents to be OTT. But we don't know what kind of shower Meghan is having, if any of the presents are ostentatious, or even that there are presents involved.

At least she doesn't seem to be having the new thing, which is the gender reveal party. Thank goodness.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm aware that she doesn't call the shots with security and the State Department. However, everyone seems to be terribly confused as to why many see this whole thing as very Hollywood, very flashy, very ostentatious...and I was trying to explain why I honestly think some people see it that way. Meghan has proven that she can be adept at low key and under the radar when she chooses to be. And I understand that everyone is going to scream that a server at the restaurant outed her and she didn't out herself. Fine. But the fact remains that the answer to why people are seeing this as flashy and celebrity-like is because this is exactly the kind of baby shower we see from celebrities and people that very much want to be in the public eye. I'm aware that we're not supposed to ever dare to compare Meghan's actions to those of any other member of the royal family because heaven forbid there be anything to learn from others but the fact remains that while it's true that the royals certainly have very wealthy circles and friends that are more than capable of financing an over the top party, they typically choose not to do so. In fact, I honestly can't recall ever hearing about a single baby shower thrown for any member of the royal family, although I do recall hearing about some personal and thoughtful gifts given after the births of some other royal children.

No one ever really believed she was going to have a baby shower with a bunch of people no one had ever heard of in Doria's sister's living room. However, it wouldn't have been impossible to have held a low key afternoon with friends if that's what she'd wanted. And that's fine, but everyone saying that this couldn't possibly come across badly should realize that it's not the norm that we typically see from members of the royal family, even those with many celebrity friends. And that even if it is Meghan and no one is ever supposed to have more than a glowingly positive opinion of her or her actions, it can and does translate a bit poorly in response to the question of whether or not this appears to be a celebrity style party.

All of that said, we have no idea if this is what it's being presented as or not. It's entirely possible that this is just a few days away to catch up with friends. But it does appear that most people believe she's in town for a baby shower and if the stories we're seeing today are to believed (and again, I really have no idea if they are or not) then cotton candy machines, $75,000 penthouse suites, etc. do appear to be a big over the top for someone who so desperately wants privacy and to be left alone.
Nah...I agree with constructive criticism, and I get where you're coming from. Baby showers are American. Not many Europeans have them. I lived in Berlin for years and many of my German and Dutch friends who had babies were given baby showers and it was a foreign concept to them, but they still enjoyed their American friends taking them to a fancy place and showering them with gifts, books and clothes for their baby.

Also, yes, the filthy rich in NYC have baby showers. All this hoopla surrounding Meghan is happening no more than 2 blocks away from me. It's nothing unusual on a normal day, royalty aside to see some hedge fund trophy wife throw a baby shower for one of her friends at one of the gala rooms in any high class NYC hotel.

I think because people are not used to seeing this, they immediately label it as "hollywood" when it's not. Tell that to my Nashville friends who rent out huge fields for baby showers, or Hamptons get aways where they throw a beach themed shower.

Listen, I get why some are all in a twist about this, it hasn't been done before or not to this level. But she is still an American (yes, she should be adjusting to being more British), but we as the public have no right to demand that her very well off friends don't give her what is considered a right of passage for anyone who is having their first child in America.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Thanks! But for this, I think we need one with great big, googly eyes so we get the full effect

I think we have a culture clash here. Showers are fairly mainstream in the US, as others have pointed out, although they are not universal, and there are plenty of people in the US that find showers with scads of expensive presents to be OTT. But we don't know what kind of shower Meghan is having, if any of the presents are ostentatious, or even that there are presents involved.

At least she doesn't seem to be having the new thing, which is the gender reveal party. Thank goodness.
Actually at this stage, we don't even know for sure if there is a baby shower indeed!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Of course but her friends didn't want to. They wanted to party and celebrate with a friends they don't get to see very often vs Kate who is close to her family and sees them often as they are all in the UK.

Also Meghan is not Kate. They had different lives. Again why does Meghan have to pretend otherwise? I get that it isn't everyone's cup of tea but we rarely see Meghan doing anything. This is probably what she would have did had she not been a Duchess. Maybe not on this scale but if that is what they want for her then good for her.

And I am sure the royal family were well aware of what she was getting up to in NYC. Arrangements had to be made. If they don't care then why should I?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thanks! But for this, I think we need one with great big, googly eyes so we get the full effect

Agreed. I love baby showers and fully support them even though some of the games can be quite disgusting (one of my friends had a baby food tasting at her shower ). It only becomes a problem if I get invitations to multiple events for one baby.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

We rarely see Meghan doing anything?? Really?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
We rarely see Meghan doing anything?? Really?
What has she done that was not work related? Have you seen her out socializing in London with friends?
I will wait for your answer

Closed Thread